• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah. Was it done better in that RT version of Metro? I don't remember it being this dark.
anyway - this is why very good baked on raster can still look better (in static comparison of course)
yes. alex did a video on the new RTGI implementation released in 2021, and showed how the light now bounces properly. Meanwhile I took so much shit on era for saying that the lighting just looks wrong.

fGzL44p.jpg

E0UmVSR.jpg

I covered this back in 2021 on gaf.

Posted this in another thread, but gonna post it in here because while I mostly like Alex, he does a lot of dumb things that need to be called out.

2019 RT GI on the Left. 2021 RT FULL GI on the right.

fGzL44p.jpg

E0UmVSR.jpg

L0r9cEV.jpg

It shows just how inaccurate and straight up POOR the RT lighting was in the original. Apparently it only had one bounce RT lighting so the sunlight didnt illuminate the rest of the room correctly.

This is funny because Alex spent that entire year raving about how realistic that lighting was giving it his graphics GOTY, and droning about it on and on for two years, all the while completely missing the fact that it was entirely inaccurate all along.

EDIT: This is a comparison i made back when the game first came out. Even back then i could see how the sunlight wasnt lighting up the train cabin like it should.

RT GI ON.
hhb6LqP.jpg

RT GI OFF.
zuS7Z6Y.jpg

Now we know that the bottom screen is far more realistic.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Nope. you can only crank it down using a mod from 2 rays to 1 to improve performance.
yes. alex did a video on the new RTGI implementation released in 2021, and showed how the light now bounces properly. Meanwhile I took so much shit on era for saying that the lighting just looks wrong.

fGzL44p.jpg

E0UmVSR.jpg

I covered this back in 2021 on gaf.
Overdrive is just way too dark.
Raster lacks proper shadowing/fallback techniques
Psycho is kinda ok in some scenes but still can look a bit flat
OD is straight up too dark. Lacks good 2-3 bounces. They are sitting under a bridge. Close to a bright opening. Something I also observed while playing. It gets to super black shadows way too soon
Because there is little to no bounce lighting. I saw the same exact thing in the metro exodus original release. Light almost acts like its a shadow. A straight fucking line instead of actual bounce lighting. probably because they only have two path traced rays bouncing around and they dont have enough coverage to illuminate everything in real time. its why baked lighting is still superior because the process of baking takes days to render and is far more accurate. in five years, they will have a new version of path tracing with 10 rays and DF will include it in their top ten again despite the fact the gameplay models, textures and assets are from 2015.
giphy.gif

You guys think that every light sources (street lamp, flash light, car headlight,...) have the same brightness as the sun and should bounce all over the screen 1000 times lol. Those are very realistic for a place under a bridge at night with the street ligtht behind the block where you see a soft bounce light which is accurate. And the guy you guys have replied to uses reshade i think since his pictures are always oversaturated with lots of constrast which boost the blacks.

And PT is not always darker, when there is more light it is brighter as it should be.
S4RUI.gif

4.jpg

6.jpg

You guys want everything to look like its taking with a phone camera in night mode lol ( overexposed, boosted shadows and less contrast).

How-to-get-the-best-night-mode-shots-on-any-smartphone-with-these-gadgets-pixel-3-comparison.jpg

hlm666

Overdrive is just way too dark.
Raster lacks proper shadowing/fallback techniques
Psycho is kinda ok in some scenes but still can look a bit flat
OD is straight up too dark. Lacks good 2-3 bounces. They are sitting under a bridge. Close to a bright opening. Something I also observed while playing. It gets to super black shadows way too soon
You could change the bounces with 2.0 with a mod, not sure if it still works with 2.1 .

But you can use mods to fuck the graphics as much as you want, I assume one he's using changes the colour of the sun/moon and it's intensity and/or energy lost per bounce.

You can make the path tracing look however you want by changing light and material properties.

Bounces wont make the difference your expecting because you seem to used to broken fake lighting.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You guys think that every light sources (street lamp, flash light, car headlight,...) have the same brightness as the sun and should bounce all over the screen 1000 times lol.
Nope. I provided examples where light should bounce more. Your examples dont prove anything. There are times PT works, other times it doesnt. Sometimes it looks identical. Sometimes it looks better. Other times it doesnt look like what the artists intended the game to look like since cyberpunk was designed with baked lighting in mind.

Here is another example. Tell me what the artists intended the game to look like? Tell me if you agree that there should be no light bounce on the ceiling here. the game's path tracing is clearly lacking the ray bounces it needs to properly illuminate the ceiling and other objects not getting direct light.

kYCHbjg.gif

I dont know why you have to defend every single aspect of this. Why cant we just agree that it doesnt always work? You are basically doing what Alex did when Metro first came out in 2019. He pretended it was accurate and the greatest thing since sliced bread with no flaws whatsoever then changed his mind 2 years later. We saw the same thing with cybperunk when it launhced with RTGI. now apparently path tracing is more accurate even though our eyes can clearly see that it still has some issues.

I have nothing against path tracing. I think its the future, i agree that its the most accurate form of lighting we have available for games today. I just dont know why we cant point out its very obvious shortcomings or state that other games with baked lighting or software GI solutions like Lumen and SSGI might have better lighting. I thought Alan Wake 2 wouldve ended that debate once in for all but here we are.

Compare the gif above to this scene in callisto. It would be shrouded in darkness. Or the starfield gif below. I am shocked that it didnt even get an honorable mention from these fools despite having a stunning implementation of realtime GI. At least indoors where it looked way better than Cyberpunk ever did.

Xq4zvpL.gif

892M0Rs.gif

You have proper light bounce of different colors of light bouncing off of the ground, the objects, and the ceilings. But no, it has no Ray traced GI so fuck that game.

Lethal01

Tell me what the artists intended the game to look like? Tell me if you agree that there should be no light bounce on the ceiling here. the game's path tracing is clearly lacking the ray bounces it needs to properly illuminate the ceiling and other objects not getting direct light.
Cant speak for the artist but it looks totally fine if its meant to be a dark scene, nothing that looks innacurate it the lights simply arent strong enough to reach the ceiling, could be right but you definitely aren't posting anything definitive.

Its much easier to look at the invisible lights and missing shadows in the non pt and say they are obectively wrong,.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Nope. I provided examples where light should bounce more. Your examples dont prove anything. There are times PT works, other times it doesnt. Sometimes it looks identical. Sometimes it looks better. Other times it doesnt look like what the artists intended the game to look like since cyberpunk was designed with baked lighting in mind.

Here is another example. Tell me what the artists intended the game to look like? Tell me if you agree that there should be no light bounce on the ceiling here. the game's path tracing is clearly lacking the ray bounces it needs to properly illuminate the ceiling and other objects not getting direct light.

kYCHbjg.gif

I dont know why you have to defend every single aspect of this. Why cant we just agree that it doesnt always work? You are basically doing what Alex did when Metro first came out in 2019. He pretended it was accurate and the greatest thing since sliced bread with no flaws whatsoever then changed his mind 2 years later. We saw the same thing with cybperunk when it launhced with RTGI. now apparently path tracing is more accurate even though our eyes can clearly see that it still has some issues.

I have nothing against path tracing. I think its the future, i agree that its the most accurate form of lighting we have available for games today. I just dont know why we cant point out its very obvious shortcomings or state that other games with baked lighting or software GI solutions like Lumen and SSGI might have better lighting. I thought Alan Wake 2 wouldve ended that debate once in for all but here we are.

Compare the gif above to this scene in callisto. It would be shrouded in darkness. Or the starfield gif below. I am shocked that it didnt even get an honorable mention from these fools despite having a stunning implementation of realtime GI. At least indoors where it looked way better than Cyberpunk ever did.

Xq4zvpL.gif

892M0Rs.gif

You have proper light bounce of different colors of light bouncing off of the ground, the objects, and the ceilings. But no, it has no Ray traced GI so fuck that game.

I really want a callisto 2 but its never gonna happen :(

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I enjoyed the combat too. People are different. Just go in with no expectations and you'll get a good popcorn game. Looks amazing, AAA production value everywhere. If you need deep story and gameplay you can find it elsewhere. No need for every game to excell at everything

It's not just about the story etc. The game play is (IMO) very bad. If you're in an encounter with 4, 5 enemies, the rest of them patiently just stand aside and wait while you spend 30, 40 seconds duking it out with one of them.

Also, the game is still very buggy even after a years worth of patches. I recently played through the DLC on the PS5, which is supposedly the better optimized console version, and ran into multiple bugs and glitches during the brief 2, 3 hour DLC run. Including more than one game breaking crashes as well.

Last edited:

Turk1993

main-qimg-ba2534932dd81d361c3d444ca01feac1

kYCHbjg.gif
Bruh come on man wtf. The PT version is far more accurate than the other 2 in that shot. The only light sources are those small neon lights which should not light up the ceiling that is atleast 4m high. And the small one's on the right are under a metal roof which is blocking the light to reach the roof. Like what kind of mental gymnastic are you doing here when you are expecting every light source to be soo bright and strong that it should bounce light from all surfaces. Look how high the ceiling is and how there are only small neon light tubes which don't have enough light to bounce of from the concrete to the ceiling that is atleast 4m high. And you can even see a litte bounce light of the orange light in the lower back side which is far more accurate than the other 2 with there glowing ceiling.

Bruh this is the thing with you, you think that the tech can't advance and that its or perfect or bad. Its getting more and more accurate over time. The first RTGI was more accurate than the raster lighting ,the PT update is more accurate compared to RTGI. Its getting better and better every time they update it. Do you think that the CGI in movies don't get better or that the tech doesn't evolve. Crysis 1 had one of the most realistic water ever when it released and people called it the most realistic looking water ever in 2007. Now in 2023 we have far better looking water in games, was that statement incorrect in 2007 because the water is better in 2023? People called Avatar 1 the best CGI movie ever when it released, does that mean that the CGI in Avatar 2 can't be better or more realistic? Ofcourse it can, and so can the tech in CP2077 with PT. I really don't understand how you are soo stubborn about this.

But thats the thing, you point out something that is not the shortcoming of the tech but the choice the dev made. If they wanted they could adjust the brightness of the lights and you would have that bounce on the ceiling you wanted. You don't know how many times the devs where like thank god we have PT now because other wise we had to put extra lights and place manual light maps to make the scene look correct in a openworld game with dyanmic tod and weather. There are 1000s of comparison where the PT lighting just makes everything looks better and more realistic. Yet you are posting some dark hall with barely any lights to make a point about bounce lighting which is straight out incorrect. And btw i never said that the PT lighting in CP2077 is perfect or that it doesn't have its flaws. I said that its the most advanced and accurate lighting we currently have and that is a fact.

Xq4zvpL.gif
Again just look at the corridor and the ceiling, its literally 2m high with light spots on the ground thats aimed at the ceiling and side red alarm lights that are 1m of the ceiling. How is this comparable to the CP2077 gif you posted?

892M0Rs.gif

And this one is even more hilarious because there are soo many things wrong with the lighting which would not happen with PT lol. Just look at the light leak on the right wall when he enters the room which is standing out like a sour thumb. And look at the lights from the computer screens which is leaking behind the screen and is not even the accurate color of the screens. Look how the red light is leaking all over the place without any proper shadow. Those are all manually placed point lights that are not even accurate. And you thought that this was a good example :messenger_tears_of_joy: . And again not even the same situation as the CP2077 gif since its a small corridor with low ceiling and different light sources.

Man i respect you but you are soo wrong with this one.

Cant speak for the artist but it looks totally fine if its meant to be a dark scene, nothing that looks innacurate it the lights simply arent strong enough to reach the ceiling, could be right but you definitely aren't posting anything definitive.

Its much easier to look at the invisible lights and missing shadows in the non pt and say they are obectively wrong,.
Exactly!

SlimySnake

Bruh this is the thing with you, you think that the tech can't advance and that its or perfect or bad. Its getting more and more accurate over time. The first RTGI was more accurate than the raster lighting ,the PT update is more accurate compared to RTGI. Its getting better and better every time they update it. Do you think that the CGI in movies don't get better or that the tech doesn't evolve. Crysis 1 had one of the most realistic water ever when it released and people called it the most realistic looking water ever in 2007. Now in 2023 we have far better looking water in games, was that statement incorrect in 2007 because the water is better in 2023? People called Avatar 1 the best CGI movie ever when it released, does that mean that the CGI in Avatar 2 can't be better or more realistic? Ofcourse it can, and so can the tech in CP2077 with PT. I really don't understand how you are soo stubborn about this.
I am going to reply to just this in this post and then write a more detailed reply later because I dont want to continue having to explain my stance on this every few weeks.

I was pointing out the clear and obvious issues with light bounce in those screenshots raveon posted. I pointed out that I had seen something similar before in the OG version of Metro and provided examples about how it was later fixed. I DO understand that the tech improves over time, i literally provided proof of that. My only problem is that you guys show up like Batman every time I point out flaws in RTGI or PT lighting. As if they cannot be inaccurate even when everyone can tell they are inaccurate.

I also dont know how many times i have to say that PT is more accurate overall. I hate qualifying my posts. To me, it sounds a lot like I have black friends. Nah, id rather just be able to criticize something about PT which is obviously wrong without having to say im best friends with Path Tracing every time. And it still doesnt work and I get your spidey sense tingling regardless.

SlimySnake

Bruh come on man wtf. The PT version is far more accurate than the other 2 in that shot. The only light sources are those small neon lights which should not light up the ceiling that is atleast 4m high. And the small one's on the right are under a metal roof which is blocking the light to reach the roof. Like what kind of mental gymnastic are you doing here when you are expecting every light source to be soo bright and strong that it should bounce light from all surfaces. Look how high the ceiling is and how there are only small neon light tubes which don't have enough light to bounce of from the concrete to the ceiling that is atleast 4m high. And you can even see a litte bounce light of the orange light in the lower back side which is far more accurate than the other 2 with there glowing ceiling.
I live in a house with high ceiling in the living room, and i can tell you that if i turn on a single lamp, it illuminates the ceiling. Hell, my wife had christmas lights on with those tiny LEDs, and even if we dont turn on the lamps, my ceiling wasnt covered in pitch black darkness lmao.

But thats the thing, you point out something that is not the shortcoming of the tech but the choice the dev made. If they wanted they could adjust the brightness of the lights and you would have that bounce on the ceiling you wanted. You don't know how many times the devs where like thank god we have PT now because other wise we had to put extra lights and place manual light maps to make the scene look correct in a openworld game with dyanmic tod and weather. There are 1000s of comparison where the PT lighting just makes everything looks better and more realistic. Yet you are posting some dark hall with barely any lights to make a point about bounce lighting which is straight out incorrect. And btw i never said that the PT lighting in CP2077 is perfect or that it doesn't have its flaws. I said that its the most advanced and accurate lighting we currently have and that is a fact.
PT lighting is inaccurate in this particular case of that dark hallway because the 2 path traced rays are not enough. thats all I am saying here. I never said its not the most advanced or accurate. I am simply saying it currently has limitations due to being limited to 2 rays and they are apparent in the examples i posted.
Again just look at the corridor and the ceiling, its literally 2m high with light spots on the ground thats aimed at the ceiling and side red alarm lights that are 1m of the ceiling. How is this comparable to the CP2077 gif you posted?
Because its not just the ceiling. its the entire area. every single object in the scene in bouncing off light. whereas in the CP gifs, the guy on the bottom left is literally covered in shadows despite being in an alley with over a dozen neon signs.
And this one is even more hilarious because there are soo many things wrong with the lighting which would not happen with PT lol. Just look at the light leak on the right wall when he enters the room which is standing out like a sour thumb. And look at the lights from the computer screens which is leaking behind the screen and is not even the accurate color of the screens. Look how the red light is leaking all over the place without any proper shadow. Those are all manually placed point lights that are not even accurate. And you thought that this was a good example :messenger_tears_of_joy: . And again not even the same situation as the CP2077 gif since its a small corridor with low ceiling and different light sources.
No, there is no light leak because the previous room also had those red lights. you are not seeing a light leak there, you are simply seeing another room with red lights. All I am seeing is that the red light is illuminating the ground, the volumetric fog, and then mixes with the yellow light in the other room creating a beautiful effect you just dont see in those raveon screenshots because there is no bounce light to speak of. not because PT is inherently inaccurate, but because its obvious 2 rays with 2 bounces are not enough.

You should look up how they bake in lighting. Its essentially very high quality lighting models that are then baked into textures which are then shipped with the game. They are not inaccurate, they are simply baked in or static so they kinda fall apart in games like cyberpunk with a dynamic time of day when we go from one bake to another. HFW doubled the light bakes from 6-12 to ensure we dont have those sudden shifts whereas cyberpunk in RTGI and PT mode doesnt have to worry about it. But that doesnt mean the other shots are inaccurate or wrong because when those lighting textures were created they were created with the same high quality lighting.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I really want a callisto 2 but its never gonna happen :(
not after that DLC ending lmao.

I enjoyed the combat too. People are different. Just go in with no expectations and you'll get a good popcorn game. Looks amazing, AAA production value everywhere. If you need deep story and gameplay you can find it elsewhere. No need for every game to excell at everything
I enjoyed the combat so much i played through it three times. It is visceral and brutal in ways only TLOU2 comes close.

GnL1NAt.gif

It's not just about the story etc. The game play is (IMO) very bad. If you're in an encounter with 4, 5 enemies, the rest of them patiently just stand aside and wait while you spend 30, 40 seconds duking it out with one of them.

Also, the game is still very buggy even after a years worth of patches. I recently played through the DLC on the PS5, which is supposedly the better optimized console version, and ran into multiple bugs and glitches during the brief 2, 3 hour DLC run. Including more than one game breaking crashes as well.
That was never my experience on normal. Enemies constantly attacked me and it never took me 30 seconds to kill anything. maybe early on when I had no upgrades. I played twice on NG once on PS5 and then again on PC, and it felt like NG+ because I smartly upgraded my melee and force skills instead of putting everything into guns. once you get the force push skill you can literally kill every enemy in a second anyway.

The game is one of the few games that has an effective melee combat while also offering gun combat and star wars force skills. I am honestly baffled by what people want from their combat after hearing so many negative things about the game when it first came out. Last time i listen to anyone on gaf about combat.

This is video from one of my favorite youtubers that sold me on the game. This was basically my experience for all of my three runs.

Last edited:

Turk1993

I live in a house with high ceiling in the living room, and i can tell you that if i turn on a single lamp, it illuminates the ceiling. Hell, my wife had christmas lights on with those tiny LEDs, and even if we dont turn on the lamps, my ceiling wasnt covered in pitch black darkness lmao.

PT lighting is inaccurate in this particular case of that dark hallway because the 2 path traced rays are not enough. thats all I am saying here. I never said its not the most advanced or accurate. I am simply saying it currently has limitations due to being limited to 2 rays and they are apparent in the examples i posted.
So real life is fake right, because those streetlamps hanging in this tunnel and street are 10x times stronger and brighter than those small neon lights in CP2077. You compare it with a interior of a house which is desgined (paint, material, lamp and overall height of the ceiling) to bounce the light as much as possible since with probably reflective wall paint or even a lighter color vs a concrete floor and small neon lights.
norwegen-lofoten-maervoll-silhouette-der-mann-am-ende-eines-tunnels-taf0mk.jpg

zz85ir6.jpg

Because its not just the ceiling. its the entire area. every single object in the scene in bouncing off light. whereas in the CP gifs, the guy on the bottom left is literally covered in shadows despite being in an alley with over a dozen neon signs.
Because its more accurate simple as that, there is barely any light source there and its a dark underground alley. The 5m high ceiling shouldn't be as bright as the fucking floor where the neon is shining. And the object behind the lights shouldn't be lit from the back if there are no other light sources that cast light from that angle. You think that those small neon lamp have 20000 lumen or something lol. And the ceiling is not pitch black, there is soft bounce lighting you can notice it, its just harder to see because of your compressed gif.

No, there is no light leak because the previous room also had those red lights. you are not seeing a light leak there, you are simply seeing another room with red lights. All I am seeing is that the red light is illuminating the ground, the volumetric fog, and then mixes with the yellow light in the other room creating a beautiful effect you just dont see in those raveon screenshots because there is no bounce light to speak of.
Just look at the arrows, look at all those light leaks, how can you not see that? Look how the red light is not even casting shadow for the handgrip next to it and how its leaking in the small box. Look on the left site how there is a random blue light shining behind the monitors without any light source. Those are all hand placed point lights that you see all the time in other games, its nothing special and it has nothing to do with bounce lighting. Also look at the bright highlights from the light leak in the first picture on the right. One wall is red and the other one is white like the lights are not even interacting with each other.
rJSQ7Qd.jpg

YCXuIFh.jpg

not because PT is inherently inaccurate, but because its obvious 2 rays with 2 bounces are not enough.
people have used the moded version with 4 to 8 bounces, it looks virtually identical. Just watch Lethal01 Lethal01 video, its the perfect example.

You should look up how they bake in lighting. Its essentially very high quality lighting models that are then baked into textures which are then shipped with the game. They are not inaccurate, they are simply baked in or static so they kinda fall apart in games like cyberpunk with a dynamic time of day when we go from one bake to another. HFW doubled the light bakes from 6-12 to ensure we dont have those sudden shifts whereas cyberpunk in RTGI and PT mode doesnt have to worry about it. But that doesnt mean the other shots are inaccurate or wrong because when those lighting textures were created they were created with the same high quality lighting.
Even with the baked in lighting it is not even close to what CP2077 PT is doing. Which is even more ironic since there are far more darker areas in HFW that shouldn't be dark compared to CP2077.
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230424205731.png

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230420012858.png

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230420002351.png

SlimySnake

So real life is fake right, because those streetlamps hanging in this tunnel and street are 10x times stronger and brighter than those small neon lights in CP2077. You compare it with a interior of a house which is desgined (paint, material, lamp and overall height of the ceiling) to bounce the light as much as possible since with probably reflective wall paint or even a lighter color vs a concrete floor and small neon lights.
norwegen-lofoten-maervoll-silhouette-der-mann-am-ende-eines-tunnels-taf0mk.jpg

zz85ir6.jpg

Because its more accurate simple as that, there is barely any light source there and its a dark underground alley. The 5m high ceiling shouldn't be as bright as the fucking floor where the neon is shining. And the object behind the lights shouldn't be lit from the back if there are no other light sources that cast light from that angle. You think that those small neon lamp have 20000 lumen or something lol. And the ceiling is not pitch black, there is soft bounce lighting you can notice it, its just harder to see because of your compressed gif.

Just look at the arrows, look at all those light leaks, how can you not see that? Look how the red light is not even casting shadow for the handgrip next to it and how its leaking in the small box. Look on the left site how there is a random blue light shining behind the monitors without any light source. Those are all hand placed point lights that you see all the time in other games, its nothing special and it has nothing to do with bounce lighting. Also look at the bright highlights from the light leak in the first picture on the right. One wall is red and the other one is white like the lights are not even interacting with each other.
rJSQ7Qd.jpg

YCXuIFh.jpg

people have used the moded version with 4 to 8 bounces, it looks virtually identical. Just watch Lethal01 Lethal01 video, its the perfect example.

Even with the baked in lighting it is not even close to what CP2077 PT is doing. Which is even more ironic since there are far more darker areas in HFW that shouldn't be dark compared to CP2077.
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230424205731.png

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230420012858.png

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230420002351.png
i see the light leaks in starfield now after you've pointed them out. i honestly took that gif because i didnt notice it and thought it was the best graphics ever. you have some eagle eyes to spot stuff like that.

i just cant agree on the cyberpunk lighting. neon lights are meant to be far more emissive than regular lights. i am sitting in a dark room right now with the tv illuminating everytyhing from the ceiling to the floor and the area behind my lazy boy that wouldve been covered in shadows if it was path traced using the cyberpunk implementation.

Turk1993

i see the light leaks in starfield now after you've pointed them out. i honestly took that gif because i didnt notice it and thought it was the best graphics ever. you have some eagle eyes to spot stuff like that.
Don't get me wrong it still looks good, but after CP2077 PT stuf like that sticks out more to me.

i just cant agree on the cyberpunk lighting. neon lights are meant to be far more emissive than regular lights. i am sitting in a dark room right now with the tv illuminating everytyhing from the ceiling to the floor and the area behind my lazy boy that wouldve been covered in shadows if it was path traced using the cyberpunk implementation.
But there are other areas in the game with lower ceiling and brighter lights that have more bounce lighting. Its really up to the dev, nothing to do with PT.
VS3.jpg

7.jpg

Lethal01

i just cant agree on the cyberpunk lighting. neon lights are meant to be far more emissive than regular lights.

Okay then perhaps the lights are simply darker than you expect them to be, Doesnt mean that the bouncer or the lighting is innacurate, again I'm not even gonna say for sure but you saying that its clearly innacurate is just not right when there are several explanations. Perhaps the camera setting just change the gamma.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fuck the haters, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the MW3 campaign. Looked solid too.

This franchise has SO MUCH potential man. My god. Just add in some more destruction and the campaign would be god tier. The gunplay is already.

I LOVE how there's virtually:

- ZERO puzzles.
- ZERO padding.
- Not ONCE was a door "locked from the other side"
- It's simply story, mission, progress. I kind of respect it.

The game IS lazy as hell, there are no big set pieces like in other MW entries. But I didn't care, it was the perfect holiday snack.

Still, it's kind of ironic how the biggest franchise in gaming, doesn't suffer from any of the modern day gaming tropes in the campaign.

Its shorts and sweet. I dont give a shit if its 4 hours. I actually welcomed it

Please add real destruction, and give me a 30fps only mode.

I loved the gun models, vehicle models, excellent use of motion blur, the gun animations, the death animations/hit reactions, the motion capture is solid, voice acting on point, very high production values all around, quite impressive for only 9 months development time

Call-of-Duty-20231228180828.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228041455.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228041643.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228182037.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183221.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183232.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183911.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228184054.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228184046.jpg

Its also nice and gritty in some parts

Call-of-Duty-20231228152652.jpg

Is that a dead child? Not many devs would do this

Call-of-Duty-20231228154057.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228175950.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228154521.jpg

GooseMan69

Why didn’t Shadow of the Tomb Raider get more love last gen? Or maybe it did and I missed it? It looks fantastic. It holds its own against a lot of the cross gen games I’ve played. I’ll have to take some pics next time I play it.

Fuck the haters, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the MW3 campaign. Looked solid too.

This franchise has SO MUCH potential man. My god. Just add in some more destruction and the campaign would be god tier. The gunplay is already.

I LOVE how there's virtually:

- ZERO puzzles.
- ZERO padding.
- Not ONCE was a door "locked from the other side"
- It's simply story, mission, progress. I kind of respect it.

The game IS lazy as hell, there are no big set pieces like in other MW entries. But I didn't care, it was the perfect holiday snack.

Still, it's kind of ironic how the biggest franchise in gaming, doesn't suffer from any of the modern day gaming tropes in the campaign.

Its shorts and sweet. I dont give a shit if its 4 hours. I actually welcomed it

Please add real destruction, and give me a 30fps only mode.

I loved the gun models, vehicle models, excellent use of motion blur, the gun animations, the death animations/hit reactions, the motion capture is solid, voice acting on point, very high production values all around, quite impressive for only 9 months development time

Call-of-Duty-20231228180828.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228041455.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228041643.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228182037.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183221.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183232.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228183911.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228184054.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228184046.jpg

Its also nice and gritty in some parts

Call-of-Duty-20231228152652.jpg

Is that a dead child? Not many devs would do this

Call-of-Duty-20231228154057.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228175950.jpg

Call-of-Duty-20231228154521.jpg

Reading that just makes me angrier knowing how good this series reboot COULD'VE been. If they hadn't pulled this lazy BS of using War zone maps for huge chunks of campaign I wouldn't be so salty but this trilogy ended on such a cynical cash grab sour note.

Cyberpunk 2077 just looks insane in some areas with Path Tracing

0Ha3Teq.jpg

ojlOeip.jpg

bcSTRkq.jpg

J4WVXSh.jpg

WxCdmi3.jpg

Ymu7iFp.jpg

BJLIteg.jpg

CdIOmXY.jpg

4w0yn40.jpg

Rb73bxT.jpg

I think the PT must not translate well to gif format (which I'm viewing on my phone) because it's just way too dark. I know that's the point but god damn. Could it be compression but on your screen you can see those shadowed areas more? I have never seen PT in person so jeep that in mind.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Reading that just makes me angrier knowing how good this series reboot COULD'VE been. If they hadn't pulled this lazy BS of using War zone maps for huge chunks of campaign I wouldn't be so salty but this trilogy ended on such a cynical cash grab sour note.
Cant blame Sledgehammer. This was all on Activision, forcing them to make a sequel in 9 month. Originally it was gonna be DLC featuring Alejandro is what I have heard.

and i think the ending makes it obvious Infinity Ward will do MW4 and get a solid 3 years dev time.

They need to get destruction in there, they've teased it enough in this campaign, and even in multuplayer. The War mode map has some destruction in it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How does uncharted 4 still looks to you? This is ps5 version in quality mode:
Xqa7Hpd.jpg

8HthKlt.jpg

Their Anti Aliasing quality makes this game look like a postcard.
I am only posting this because I have all m screenshots from all games as wallpapers on randomize every 1 minute and every time these shots come up, I think "damn uc4 looks good".
Just wanted to share !

Senua

Gold Member
How does uncharted 4 still looks to you? This is ps5 version in quality mode:
Xqa7Hpd.jpg

8HthKlt.jpg

Their Anti Aliasing quality makes this game look like a postcard.
I am only posting this because I have all m screenshots from all games as wallpapers on randomize every 1 minute and every time these shots come up, I think "damn uc4 looks good".
Just wanted to share !
While it shows its age compared to recent stunners like Avatar and AW2, it looks beautiful and very impressive for a PS4 based game. ND will melt minds with their PS5 focused game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
While it shows its age compared to recent stunners like Avatar and AW2, it looks beautiful and very impressive for a PS4 based game. ND will melt minds with their PS5 focused game.
It's interesting comparison because this got 100x better image quality and stability than AW2 on consoles... and tuns faster.
I mean, yeah it starts too look aged technically but as overall picture - it kinda holds up.
For sure, the image quality is refreshing compared to all the fsr2 crap we get nowadays

Senua

Gold Member
It's interesting comparison because this got 100x better image quality and stability than AW2 on consoles... and tuns faster.
I mean, yeah it starts too look aged technically but as overall picture - it kinda holds up.
For sure, the image quality is refreshing compared to all the fsr2 crap we get nowadays
While I've never played AW2 on consoles I thought quality mode looked decent enough? Just going by screenshots and youtube.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
While I've never played AW2 on consoles I thought quality mode looked decent enough? Just going by screenshots and youtube.
Can look decent enough if you stand still and there are no mirrors/ssr surfaces anywhere in view. Otherwise - it's terrible on consoles.

setoman

Same as any other PS4 game...
Here's some The Division 1 screenshots, a game from 8 years ago. Take them in 4K, on an OLED and it might pass as a 2023 game.
Yeah that's because 3 out of those 4 pics are fake (aka before the downgrades). If The division 1 released as it were revealed back in 2013, today.
It would easily beat Avatar and AW2 to be the best looking game of all time.
This is why I'm so angry at these devs and companies. Honestly they should just release these E3 demo builds for fans to play.
Especially when fans would even pay to play these demos. They can include it in their "game pass" like service.
Ubisoft can market "subscribe to Ubisoft+ to Play famous & iconic E3 demos".
Everyone and their mama have PC builds that can run these demos now.

image_tom_clancy_s_the_division-22299-2751_0004.jpg

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Those shots are fantastic but you gotta turn down the saturation a little bit, on my oled they look oversaturated.
For real, his posts are always ruined by the stupid amount of saturation, looks awful tbh. Poor guy must have an eye disease or something I swear.

hussar16

Matrix demo has the best graphics ive ever seen. Someone made another chase scene with it, and holy shit does it look amazing.

Doesnt look like its realtime but all assets are from the matrix demo or UE5 marketplace. Crazy.
The thing about lumen I dislike is it's lightning always has the same brightness sun always has the same brightness and shade which is not accurate maybe hdr implementation would fix this

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Is it just me or does Dead Island 2 look surprisingly great? It's not pushing any cutting edge tech, but it provides a super clean, detailed, aesthetically cohesive visual experience, with great baked lighting and high texture/asset quality.

I think it's one of the best looking games of 2023 and hasn't gotten enough credit.

Some of my shots:

53434047356_0196eb83e6_o.png

53434196808_3de977a72f_o.png

53433126152_3f57c9f44e_o.png

53434379304_7009d40326_o.png

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Is it just me or does Dead Island 2 looks surprisingly great? It's not pushing any cutting edge tech, but it provides a super clean, detailed, aesthetically cohesive visual experience, with great baked lighting and texture/asset quality.

I think it's one of the best looking games of 2023 and hasn't gotten enough credit.

Not only it's one of the best looking games this year. It's also one of the best optimized.
Despite using UE4, it has no stutters from shader compilation. And only minor instances of stutter from asset streaming.
And it's a lot of fun to play.

SlimySnake

Is it just me or does Dead Island 2 look surprisingly great? It's not pushing any cutting edge tech, but it provides a super clean, detailed, aesthetically cohesive visual experience, with great baked lighting and high texture/asset quality.

Some of my shots:

53434047356_0196eb83e6_o.png

53434196808_3de977a72f_o.png

53433126152_3f57c9f44e_o.png

53434379304_7009d40326_o.png
The game looks phenomenal. DF reviews were ridiculous downplaying the game just because it didn’t use ray tracing.

The fact that mario and high fi rush were picked over it in their top ten just shows how underrated that game really is.

Top Bottom