• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Alex11

Ah so now we're comparing lighting from 2 gens ago with next next gen path tracing...
Is it glaucoma thursday again already?
Yeah, you know, I stopped being surprised how awful Cyberpunk can get shitted on. I may have to accept that this path tracing mode is just some run of the mill HD texture mod slapped on its back and just call it a day.

I saw something interesting this week and don't know where, but it basically said that "You can't debate opinions.", I guess then, who's in the right after all?

RavionUHD

The more I play Dead Island 2 the more I cant believe this game is not one of the best looking games for Digital Foundry, and it runs so good!

BY8P995.jpg

IVT8Eud.jpg

5Fua1lu.jpg

qHNoPJk.jpg

6WNz3AL.jpg

pgL6lQu.jpg

PGfUgAu.jpg

0cucdk5.jpg

f3TnrDj.jpg

xXSfiPK.jpg

SimTourist

Doom Eternal maybe. Both are last gen games with RT slapped on top.

Doom 3's lighting was already topped in the PS3 era with games like KZ2 and Crysis. I remember arguing with PC bros who were convinced that Doom 3 would be the best looking game of that PS360 gen, and then KZ2 came out. Sadly, they had moved on to Crysis so it was a fight I was never going to win, but in terms of actual lighting fidelity, plenty of first person shooters that gen had a generational leap in lighting over Doom 3. Just put 343's Halo 4 next to Doom 3. It wasnt even close. This is back when 343i still had talent.

Starfield's interiors look better than cyberpunk's interiors due to asset quality. The lighting in starfield completely falls apart outdoors which is where cyberpunk's lighting truly shines.
Strange to bring up Halo 4 here, it's lighting was dated as hell at release, old ass baked shadows in the textures, no dynamic lighting of any sort, just overreliance on cheap lense flares, god rays and bloom. It's closer to half life 2 than Doom 3. Although doom's stencil shadows didn't see mass adoption, most devs started pushing dynamic shadow maps on PS360, which Halo didn't get until Infinite.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Strange to bring up Halo 4 here, it's lighting was dated as hell at release, old ass baked shadows in the textures, no dynamic lighting of any sort, just overreliance on cheap lense flares, god rays and bloom. It's closer to half life 2 than Doom 3. Although doom's stencil shadows didn't see mass adoption, most devs started pushing dynamic shadow maps on PS360, which Halo didn't get until Infinite.
nah man, just watch doom 3 and halo 4 side by side.

Halo 4 was a massive improvement from Halo 3 which you could argue had more in common with the Half Life 2 and Doom 3 cross gen stuff. understandable because it was doing some insanely massive open world levels and boss fights, but you could put them side by side and see just how much Halo 4 was doing with its lighting. IIRC, they embraced a lot of the post processing effects GG added with KZ2.

The more I play Dead Island 2 the more I cant believe this game is not one of the best looking games for Digital Foundry, and it runs so good!

BY8P995.jpg

IVT8Eud.jpg

5Fua1lu.jpg

qHNoPJk.jpg

6WNz3AL.jpg

pgL6lQu.jpg

PGfUgAu.jpg

0cucdk5.jpg

f3TnrDj.jpg

xXSfiPK.jpg
These look stunning.

Meanwhile I just saw this last night on my PS App. My son loves to play this uncharted level and keeps taking these screenshots thinking they look good. i laugh every time. to be fair to uncharted, it is almost 8 years old.

GDFiEE5WQAAH6wx

DanielG165

Not really. Halo 4 was a tour de force when it came out on Xbox 360, squeezing every last ounce of performance from that machine, and it still looks pretty good today at 4K on MCC.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
No one is shitting on Cyberpunk though. I want to be clear I'm an artist looking in, not a graphics programmer. I'm pointing out what newer games are doing in their lighting models from my pov as an artist. Recent retail games like Starfield, Mortal Kombat 1, WWE 2K23 now have a wider range of shades in the model; These newer range of shades are important because it is displaying the distance of light traveling.

xeO7ssV.jpg
AK4FP7F.jpg
Bruh, you are comparing a white interior of a ship picture from SF to a dark club interior picture from CP2077 that is heavily edited (oversaturated and contrasty). I already pointed out mutliple times the inaccuracies of SF lighting in those ships. And the other games you mentioned have the same problems. Also the shading in overdrive mode shits on any game, its not even comparable.

That image from SF looks flat asf, it has nothing to do with light distance travel. Its literally using the same old tech that KZ SF uses.

image_killzone_shadow_fall-23879-2660_0008.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
nah man, just watch doom 3 and halo 4 side by side.

Halo 4 was a massive improvement from Halo 3 which you could argue had more in common with the Half Life 2 and Doom 3 cross gen stuff. understandable because it was doing some insanely massive open world levels and boss fights, but you could put them side by side and see just how much Halo 4 was doing with its lighting. IIRC, they embraced a lot of the post processing effects GG added with KZ2.

These look stunning.

Meanwhile I just saw this last night on my PS App. My son loves to play this uncharted level and keeps taking these screenshots thinking they look good. i laugh every time. to be fair to uncharted, it is almost 8 years old.

GDFiEE5WQAAH6wx
I have like 400 uc4 screenshots. I think the game still looks amazing. Especially with hdr.
You can see the biggest last gennes in bad LODs and some simple models like those ugly mountains. but action, animations, characters and effects are top notch!
Especially impressive is image quality. stable and no aliasing. both on ps4 and ps5 version. Really good. Compression eats those screenshots so excuse that

NfS5Dod.jpg

tffTgXk.jpg

n2QMmYn.jpg

QVt33NE.jpg

AsJZ9Ti.jpg

Ly2jtfZ.jpg

Last edited:
Bruh, you are comparing a white interior of a ship picture from SF to a dark club interior picture from CP2077 that is heavily edited (oversaturated and contrasty). I already pointed out mutliple times the inaccuracies of SF lighting in those ships. And the other games you mentioned have the same problems. Also the shading in overdrive mode shits on any game, its not even comparable.

That image from SF looks flat asf, it has nothing to do with light distance travel. Its literally using the same old tech that KZ SF uses.

Link your overdrive mode shots of Cyberpunk, Turk1993

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Man I gotta play killzone finally. It was mid game but now at 60fps, it could be worth a replay

SlimySnake

I have like 400 uc4 screenshots. I think the game still looks amazing. Especially with hdr.
You can see the biggest last gennes in bad LODs and some simple models like those ugly mountains. but action, animations, characters and effects are top notch!
Especially impressive is image quality. stable and no aliasing. both on ps4 and ps5 version. Really good. Compression eats those screenshots so excuse that

NfS5Dod.jpg

tffTgXk.jpg

n2QMmYn.jpg

QVt33NE.jpg

AsJZ9Ti.jpg

Ly2jtfZ.jpg
Yeah, thats probably the worst looking level in the game, but thats the only level he likes to play so my PS App is full of screenshots of that level.

That said, i tried playing lost legacy* last night, and booted up the awesome train sequence and even that felt kinda dated in terms of asset quality and lighting. just flat and dull especially after playing Horizon FW and Avatar. I admire ND for pushing bigger levels to take advantage of the new ram upgrade, but their engine was simply not equipped to do it at a higher fidelity. Of course, being tied to a 1.8 tflops console didnt help though they did do wonders with TLOU2 which retained the high quality visuals indoors and outdoors.

*I was playing in Fidelity mode with VRR enabled.

Yeah, it's really strange how much people here are trying to change the narrative about lighting, cyberpunk and path tracing. I've never even played Cyberpunk with path tracing yet its obvious how far advanced it is over other games. My only question was why the screenshots posted so damn dark. Like crushed detail dark. I don't think it appears that way while playing the game normally.

My question (which kicked off this debate) was more a knock on whoever uploaded those pics and why they're ok with using whatever filter that's crushing all that detail. I've noticed some people upload pics often that are reshaped to hell and back. I should've clarified, like "don't you see how you're killing all that detail?".

Senua

Gold Member
Yeah, it's really strange how much people here are trying to change the narrative about lighting, cyberpunk and path tracing. I've never even played Cyberpunk with path tracing yet its obvious how far advanced it is over other games. My only question was why the screenshots posted so damn dark. Like crushed detail dark. I don't think it appears that way while playing the game normally.

My question (which kicked off this debate) was more a knock on whoever uploaded those pics and why they're ok with using whatever filter that's crushing all that detail. I've noticed some people upload pics often that are reshaped to hell and back. I should've clarified, like "don't you see how you're killing all that detail?".
Most people don't have the hardware capability to access Cyberpunk with path tracing, so what do you do to feel good about yourself? You downplay what you can't have.

What narrative was changed about how light works?

This white room in Killzone shadowfall is forever goated.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

It's not changing the narrative.
Path Tracing is cyberpunk simply lacks bounces so it ends up creating too dark shadows where there should be some more light.

That said, if these aren't the best screenshots I've ever taken. HOLY FUCK
Especially that first one. fuck me that's amazing
TPfGYhI.jpg

KjynzsK.jpg

1XPIcmL.jpg

osfXwme.jpg

Like, I think the shadow under the car and on the side of the box in last pic should be brighter. In reality, I would be able to tell details there.
Now, that might be up to HDR. This is monitor and HDR job to do/simulate that but I played with hdr and it doesn't help here.
Look at metro exodus rt version. It's still plenty bright under the car and it was way too dark too in original rt version

RjFNQhp.jpg

SlimySnake

PS5 games in 2024 sizzle reel. not a single next gen looking game in sight. Everything looks worse than games looked last year.

Silent Hill looks next gen but lets face it bloober is going to downgrade it because they are bloober.

This is going to be a rough year for graphics whores in this thread.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PS5 games in 2024 sizzle reel. not a single next gen looking game in sight. Everything looks worse than games looked last year.

Silent Hill looks next gen but lets face it bloober is going to downgrade it because they are bloober.

Bloober is pretty good with graphics (only)
Project Eve looks really good but I expect downgrade.
Making games look "next-gen" is really expensive. That's all we are limited by... money, time and creativity of devs

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Unless you use UE5 properly, like Teyon.

let's ignore the character models
UE5 can't replace that.
I don't give a fuck how detailed rocks in robocop are. That's not graphics. That's quixel megascan assets.
it all looks decent technically but I dont find it looking either interesting or that impressive

Senua

Gold Member
UE5 can't replace that.
I don't give a fuck how detailed rocks in robocop are. That's not graphics. That's quixel megascan assets.
it all looks decent technically but I dont find it looking either interesting or that impressive
It's very impressive for a low budget game, UE5 provides that. Imagine they used their own engine. Wait we don't have to

rambo-the-video-game.jpg

Xtib81

Q3-4 2024 could save the day with games like DS2(?), the next Battlefield, black wukong and the upcoming AC, to name a few.

So I bought RDR2 to have something to immerse in post a bad break up. Got it on series X so I have the Xbox one X version. Previously only had it on base PS4. And MAN I’m so excited for GTA6 graphics now. Rockstar is unbelievable. I haven’t played this in years and forgot how great it looks. I’ve played all the best like demon souls, horizon 2, ratchet, etc and this is still impressive.

It’s how good it looks AND the scale of it. The detail is simply mind blowing and at times it captures almost a photorealistic look with some things in the far background like snowy mountains. I feel like I’m experiencing it for the first time again. And with the Xbox one X 4k resolution and higher graphics settings I’m in heaven here.

It REALLY makes me scratch my head at what the fuck is goin on this Gen because this was achieved with a base of the underpowered VCR 2013 XB1. And now have the underpowered but still much more advanced base of the series S and this Gen is just dud after dud after dud. Even avatar didn’t really blow me away. Though I concur avatar and Alan wake 2 look good it’s still just not where I think we should be. Also closing thought, I went and played Spider-Man 2 just switching inputs after taking a break from RDR2 and cmon man… shits worse than I thought. I’d argue with a straight face RDR2 punks SM2 on some levels of presentation to this day. Nothing out there besides the clouds of burning shores and some levels of demon souls have given me the impression we’ve made a generational leap from RDR2 to this day.

EDIT: the matrix demo and the PS5 real time 1440p 2020 UE5 demo in the ruins are what I consider to be generational leaps from the best lookin games last gen including RDR2. Those are truly “graphical fidelity I expect this gen”

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
For sure next gen:
Space Marine 2
Crysis 4
Death Stranding 2

Next gen if not downgraded:
SW Outlaws

Good chance of being next gen:
AC Red
Battlefield Next

thats all i see for this year. Wukong has great artstyle and looks great but im not seeing anything next gen about it

edit; crysis 4 not confirmed for this year

third party is really carrying this gen.

Last edited:
For sure next gen:
Space Marine 2
Crysis 2
Death Stranding 2

SW Outlaws

AC Red
Battlefield Next

thats all i see for this year. Wukong has great artstyle and looks great but im not seeing anything next gen about it

edit; crysis 2 not confirmed for this year
You mean crysis 4?

Luipadre

For sure next gen:
Space Marine 2
Crysis 4
Death Stranding 2

SW Outlaws

AC Red
Battlefield Next

edit; crysis 4 not confirmed for this year

AC red still gonna come out on last gen isnt it...

ya idk why i put crysis 2
Wasn’t even aware crysis 4 was slated for next year. No way it makes that release. If it does though I have HIGH hopes for Assassins creed, battlefield, and crysis. Though series S baseline and 60fps modes make me quite trepidatious honestly… I’m managing my expectations accordingly

SlimySnake

It's very impressive for a low budget game, UE5 provides that. Imagine they used their own engine. Wait we don't have to

rambo-the-video-game.jpg
im with rofif on this one. went back to it recently and man it just looks bland. Everything from lighting to assets. Forget character models, entire game has a B movie feel to it.

Senua

Gold Member
im with rofif on this one. went back to it recently and man it just looks bland. Everything from lighting to assets. Forget character models, entire game has a B movie feel to it.
But compare it to their previous efforts, Terminator looked decent enough in UE4, but the jump in Robo is nuts. It's very impressive for a low budget studio.

Terminator
Terminator_-Resistance-Enhanced_20210426151011.jpg

Robocop
Robocop-Rogue-City-30-12-2023-13-42-59.png

Q3-4 2024 could save the day with games like DS2(?), the next Battlefield, black wukong and the upcoming AC, to name a few.

DS2 will look spectacular, currently playing Death Stranding again and it still looks lovely.

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-04-01-2024-15-14-25.png

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-03-01-2024-17-44-50.png

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-04-01-2024-15-17-43.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So I bought RDR2 to have something to immerse in post a bad break up. Got it on series X so I have the Xbox one X version. Previously only had it on base PS4. And MAN I’m so excited for GTA6 graphics now. Rockstar is unbelievable. I haven’t played this in years and forgot how great it looks. I’ve played all the best like demon souls, horizon 2, ratchet, etc and this is still impressive.

It’s how good it looks AND the scale of it. The detail is simply mind blowing and at times it captures almost a photorealistic look with some things in the far background like snowy mountains. I feel like I’m experiencing it for the first time again. And with the Xbox one X 4k resolution and higher graphics settings I’m in heaven here.

It REALLY makes me scratch my head at what the fuck is goin on this Gen because this was achieved with a base of the underpowered VCR 2013 XB1. And now have the underpowered but still much more advanced base of the series S and this Gen is just dud after dud after dud. Even avatar didn’t really blow me away. Though I concur avatar and Alan wake 2 look good it’s still just not where I think we should be. Also closing thought, I went and played Spider-Man 2 just switching inputs after taking a break from RDR2 and cmon man… shits worse than I thought. I’d argue with a straight face RDR2 punks SM2 on some levels of presentation to this day. Nothing out there besides the clouds of burning shores and some levels of demon souls have given me the impression we’ve made a generational leap from RDR2 to this day.

EDIT: the matrix demo and the PS5 real time 1440p 2020 UE5 demo in the ruins are what I consider to be generational leaps from the best lookin games last gen including RDR2. Those are truly “graphical fidelity I expect this gen”
To be fair, Rockstar was in a league of its own even on last gen consoles. And it wasnt until horizon FW came out when it was finally topped. Avatar definitely looks better than both.

Studios like Rockstar, ND and CD Project are just in a league of their own. I think its a mistake to pick these exceptions to the rule to say every game should be like this. Rockstar will set the bar once again when GTA6 comes out followed by ND and CD Project raising it even further. Both CD project and ND went late last gen in 2020 and with longer dev times and piss poor management, we likely wont see their games till 2026 at the latest.

I am happy with Starfield, Avatar, Alan Wake 2, FF16 and yes even Spiderman 2. I was going through my captures just last night and i was stunned by just how good looking the game's characters looked at times and thats the weakest part of the game. I treat these games like the Divisions, Quantum Break, and FF15 of this gen and I see a generational leap over those games.

Next year though. its going to be rough and you will me bitching about how everything from FF7 to Dragons Dogma and that Ghost of Tsushima ripoff from Team Ninja looks last gen as fuck. One good thing is that all those studios are extremely talented so the gameplay will be amazing but as a graphics whore this year is going to be rough.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But compare it to their previous efforts, Terminator looked decent enough in UE4, but the jump in Robo is nuts. It's very impressive for a low budget studio.

Terminator
Terminator_-Resistance-Enhanced_20210426151011.jpg

Robocop
Robocop-Rogue-City-30-12-2023-13-42-59.png

DS2 will look spectacular, currently playing Death Stranding again and it still looks lovely.

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-04-01-2024-15-14-25.png

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-03-01-2024-17-44-50.png

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-04-01-2024-15-17-43.png
DS looks freaking incredible. The vistas!!!
And I can't believe these character models are from a ps4 game. I originally finished it on ps4 slim... and It looked so good.
Your shots are from pc ?

Senua

Gold Member
DS looks freaking incredible. The vistas!!!
And I can't believe these character models are from a ps4 game. I originally finished it on ps4 slim... and It looked so good.
Your shots are from pc ?
Yea playing at 4k DLAA, it's so clean. The game looks beautiful still and HDR really pops. The textures are obviously not the highest res but considering it's a PS4 game at heart it's beyond impressive.

I was playing at 4k quality DLSS mode at 120fps but I decided to go all out on the eye candy and use DLAA at 60fps, which is plenty smooth enough for this game with its nice motion blur.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yea playing at 4k DLAA, it's so clean. The game looks beautiful still and HDR really pops. The textures are obviously not the highest res but considering it's a PS4 game at heart it's beyond impressive.

I was playing at 4k quality DLSS mode at 120fps but I decided to go all out on the eye candy and use DLAA at 60fps, which is plenty smooth enough for this game with its nice motion blur.
yeah the motion blur is just right here. Helping with animations. The cutscenes are locked to 60 anyway, so 60 lock in gameplay is fine.
PS5 version is only using TAA and anti aliasing is not the best. I do like that version for minor other reasons but I have all version of this game.... ps4, ps5, and pc steam both versions :p

SlimySnake

Played the PS5 version in the wide screen mode thats also native resolution at 60 fps without any upscaling. looked fantastic.

geary

What is the best solution for AA on the market? SSAA, MSAA, FXAA, TAA, SMAA, DLAA? And which one strikes the best balance between performance and graphics?

Senua

Gold Member
What is the best solution for AA on the market? SSAA, MSAA, FXAA, TAA, SMAA, DLAA? And which one strikes the best balance between performance and graphics?
Well supersampling is the goat, but it's obviously ridiculously expensive. DLAA is incredible looking and the best bang for buck. TAA and FXAA are too blurry and MSAA while crisp as fuck, doesn't cover specular aliasing so in modern games it fails on it's own. Oh and SMAA is a decent addition on top of MSAA but it doesn't do enough on it's own. But it's light as hell and I'll take it over FXAA anyday as it doesn't blur the overall image.

I'd take MSAA + SMAA over TAA

Last edited:

SlimySnake

DLAA.

But ive used FXAA+TAA in RE games and MSAA in other older PC games and i honestly cant tell the difference. As long as the AA does its job and removes jaggies and shimmering, I dont mind it.

I dislike the RT noise on some surfaces a lot more nowadays and Nvidia's latest RT denoising method just makes things worse. It sucks how we went from finally getting rid of jaggies thanks to DLSS only to introduce way more shimmering and noise on ALL surfaces instead of just edges. Its part of the reason why Avatar's water looks so bad compared to Horizon FW's. No RT in Horizon so no noise. Some pipes and metal objects in Avatar, AW2 and Cyberpunk PT also suffer from this. Callisto is the only RT game that didnt display any RT noise on metallic objects and reflections. Im convinced that part of the reason why I like Starfield so much is the absence of any RT artifacts.

Sometimes this industry takes one step forward and two steps back.

P.S Star Wars Jedi Survivor was very soft at launch and we all attributed it to FSR but I ran it at native 4k and it still had that smudgy look. Tried it recently with DLSS and that look is still there. I cant say for certain why but wouldnt be surprised if its RT only roots are causing the poor IQ.

Last edited:

Luipadre

What makes you say so? In october 2024, it will be 3 years since the release of bf2042.

The horrible launch of 2042. Also games takes more time to make and the new BF will be under Zampella and a new management. They recently rebranded the BF and frostbite logo, new game is probably on a nextgen iteration of the FB engine too. 2042 still getting support this year so 2025 fall is the earliest we'll see a new BF imo

SlimySnake

Well supersampling is the goat, but it's obviously ridiculously expensive. DLAA is incredible looking and the best bang for buck. TAA and FXAA are too blurry and MSAA while crisp as fuck, doesn't cover specular aliasing so in modern games it fails on it's own. Oh and SMAA is a decent addition on top of MSAA but it doesn't do enough on it's own. But it's light as hell and I'll take it over FXAA anyday as it doesn't blur the overall image.

I'd take MSAA + SMAA over TAA
I thought DLAA was supersampling? If i enable DLAA at native 4k res, what resolution is it running at? 4k?

Top Bottom