• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The game looks phenomenal. DF reviews were ridiculous downplaying the game just because it didn’t use ray tracing.

The fact that mario and high fi rush were picked over it in their top ten just shows how underrated that game really is.

I'm only a few hours in, but it's such a damn good time. A refreshingly old-school, uncomplicated experience that puts fun first. Kind of shocked by the lukewarm reviews on it.

Msamy

h6qcw7W.jpg

Leaked features slide about wolverine if they manage to get all this features together wolverine will be one of the best looking titles also I don't know if they can use all this features at base 60 fps.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
good quality bake > poor mans rt
I think its hilarious that DF spent so much time evaluating and praising the shit out of the Dying Light RTGI implementation while completely glossing over the stunning Dead Island 2.

It's so stupid. good lighting is good lighting. the asset quality of interiors in Dead Island 2 is also up there with the best we've seen this gen, but because it wasnt using nanite, no one gave a shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think its hilarious that DF spent so much time evaluating and praising the shit out of the Dying Light RTGI implementation while completely glossing over the stunning Dead Island 2.

It's so stupid. good lighting is good lighting. the asset quality of interiors in Dead Island 2 is also up there with the best we've seen this gen, but because it wasnt using nanite, no one gave a shit.
yep. If time of day is static, they only need to use some supplementary grounding techniques for some dynamic objects and they are golden.
Just like uncharted 4 for example. That game is static/baked but in levels with a flashlight, the gi still delivers

SlimySnake

h6qcw7W.jpg

Leaked features slide about wolverine if they manage to get all this futures together wolverine will be one of the best looking titles also I don't know if they can use all this features at base 60 fps.
This is very exciting. Motion matching will be amazing if they can get that in. Cant believe they have most of this already implemented.

So much dynamic stuff. Dynamic GI, dynamic weather, destruction, animations and of course water physics. I wonder how they will use it. But this feels like a true next gen game in every single aspect.

It just sucks that half of the studio will be working on Venom standalone expansion because we saw just how much they struggled to get stuff into Spiderman 2 because of their multi game development approach.

winjer

Gold Member

And especially considering that Dead Island 2 is a much better game than Dying Light 2.
It's almost criminal how most "gaming journalists" ignored such a good game.

Msamy

This is very exciting. Motion matching will be amazing if they can get that in. Cant believe they have most of this already implemented.

So much dynamic stuff. Dynamic GI, dynamic weather, destruction, animations and of course water physics. I wonder how they will use it. But this feels like a true next gen game in every single aspect.

It just sucks that half of the studio will be working on Venom standalone expansion because we saw just how much they struggled to get stuff into Spiderman 2 because of their multi game development approach.
Yes if they fully focus in this game they can make it huge next generation title.already some locations in the Leaked footage from development build of the game looks better than spiderman 2 I can't wait to see the final build of this game with all this new features

It's interesting comparison because this got 100x better image quality and stability than AW2 on consoles... and tuns faster.
I mean, yeah it starts too look aged technically but as overall picture - it kinda holds up.
For sure, the image quality is refreshing compared to all the fsr2 crap we get nowadays

God damn we got bent over by FSR2 in Alan Wake 2. Even in quality mode the iq is horrific. I blame Remedy's technical team too tho because no other FSR2 game on console has this degree of aliasing and pixel crawl like AW2. The Oceanview Hotel was the worst area and I played it after the recent patch that supposedly made "adjustments to image quality".

What are the chances they'll fix it when PS5 PRO comes out?

SlimySnake

God damn we got bent over by FSR2 in Alan Wake 2. Even in quality mode the iq is horrific. I blame Remedy's technical team too tho because no other FSR2 game on console has this degree of aliasing and pixel crawl like AW2. The Oceanview Hotel was the worst area and I played it after the recent patch that supposedly made "adjustments to image quality".

What are the chances they'll fix it when PS5 PRO comes out?
They patched control two years after it came out. id say chances are good. A lot of these games wouldnt even need patches because they are smartly leaving their resolutions dynamic. Even with FSR active. Avatar goes from 1800p down to 1296p before getting reconstructed to 4k in quality mode, and 864p to 1296p in performance mode, so when the game finally does run on the pro, it will run at the higher bounds. similar to how all the uncapped framerate games on the PS4 and PS4 Pro automatically ran at a unlocked framerate on the Pro and PS5 respectively.

I think they should think about removing FSR altogether. Uncharted 4, TLOU2 and Lost Legacy all ran at native 1440p and did not have those shimmering issues we see in AW2. Just run it at 1440p instead of using FSR2 which has its own cost on the GPU anyway. TLOU part 1 and FF7 Remake both run at 1440p and dont use any kind of upscaling. The IQ is clean and modern tvs do a great job of upscaling themselves.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Is it just me or does Dead Island 2 look surprisingly great? It's not pushing any cutting edge tech, but it provides a super clean, detailed, aesthetically cohesive visual experience, with great baked lighting and high texture/asset quality.

I think it's one of the best looking games of 2023 and hasn't gotten enough credit.

Some of my shots:

53434047356_0196eb83e6_o.png

53434196808_3de977a72f_o.png

53433126152_3f57c9f44e_o.png

53434379304_7009d40326_o.png
Yeah it's a pretty game, ended up looking better than Dying Light 2. I had little hope for the former and high hopes for the latter (then a massive downgraded added insult to injury) which is why i compare the 2. I'll take prebaked lighting over half assed RT lighting implementations any day though surprisingly DL2 had rather decent RT but falls behind in npc model quality, material diversity, texture variety, environmental object physics and asset quality in general both indoors and out but i guess that is the trade off for having a much larger and more vertical traversable map.

SlimySnake

WTF? On a 10TF machine? 60fps or not thats fucking lame.
On my 3080, I’m running it on 1296p as well. Dlss 4k balanced. Albeit at high settings. That’s just the price you have to pay for next Gen 60 fps if you want rtgi, rt reflections, and next Gen foliage.

10 tflops was never going to be enough unless you are ok with a generation of ratchets and demon souls ps4.5 games.

CGNoire

On my 3080, I’m running it on 1296p as well. Dlss 4k balanced. Albeit at high settings. That’s just the price you have to pay for next Gen 60 fps if you want rtgi, rt reflections, and next Gen foliage.

10 tflops was never going to be enough unless you are ok with a generation of ratchets and demon souls ps4.5 games.
I guess if RTGI and RTR are still fully enabled it makes "a little" more sense.

SlimySnake

I guess if RTGI and RTR are still fully enabled it makes "a little" more sense.
They are. Even in the 60 fps mode. And it only drops to 864p during combat.

I can run the game just fine at 4k dlss quality at around 80-90 fps in the forest and flying benchmarks, but the combat one dips below 60 fps so had to settle for dlss balance for a locked 60. I’m sure on consoles it is at the higher end of 864-1296p range.

CGNoire

They are. Even in the 60 fps mode. And it only drops to 864p during combat.

I can run the game just fine at 4k dlss quality at around 80-90 fps in the forest and flying benchmarks, but the combat one dips below 60 fps so had to settle for dlss balance for a locked 60. I’m sure on consoles it is at the higher end of 864-1296p range.
What framerate does Robocop run maxed out on your setup?

SlimySnake

What framerate does Robocop run maxed out on your setup?
Same thing. I started off at dlss 4k quality but had to settle for dlss 4k balanced to get a locked 60 fps. Iirc the drops were during the outdoor sections.

I do play these games on high settings so there is that. I bought the 3080 to run games at ps5 quality mode settings at 60 fps since it’s supposed to be roughly 2x faster. And that’s what I’ve gotten so far.

SABRE220

Did you mean lumen?

Whitecrow

Banned
I mean both lumen and nanite. DF just cares about buzz words like mesh shaders, lumen, RTGI, nanite, path tracing without bothering to look at what makes a game look great in the first place.
DF is a tech focused group. They have to talk about the tech behind the games, not just saying if something looks good or dont.

Hugare

Bought Dead Island 2 in the Epic store for 24 bucks and really surprised how good the graphics are, and it runs with almost 120 FPS in 4K Ultrawide!

SnVoisQ.jpg

hbGC7mL.jpg

U64PLmH.jpg

Px7s9hx.jpg

Looks better than Robocop, honestly

Lighting in Robocop might be "better", but baked GI can look nearly as good + way better asset variety, models and environment design in DI 2

I'm using this example 'cause DF and many others mentioned Robocop as one of the best looking games of this gen, and to me that is just nonsense

It has some excellent stuff due to the UE 5 package, but overall it's still an AA budget looking game

DI 2 for example, is a much more cohesive and good looking game that didnt get enough love just because it wasnt using some innovative tech

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Looks better than Robocop, honestly

Lighting in Robocop might be "better", but baked GI can look nearly as good + way better asset variety, models and environment design in DI 2

I'm using this example 'cause DF and many others mentioned Robocop as one of the best looking games of this gen, and to me that is just nonsense

It has some excellent stuff due to the UE 5 package, but overall it's still an AA budget looking game

DI 2 for example, is a much more cohesive and good looking game that ddint get enough love just because it wasnt using some innovative tech
Precisely. I was immediately struck by just how average robocop looked in motion. it was lacking in detail, cinematography, art style and just had that B game look. Going from playing Spiderman 2, Alan Wake 2 and callisto immediately to Robocop, I was shocked at how budget it looked.

Audiophile

Motion Matching is definitely what I'm really excited about. The prospect of R*/RDR2-level animations paired with Kojima/MGS/DS-level responsiveness is the dream.

I believe TLOU2 was already running some very lightweight MM tech.

SlimySnake

DF is a tech focused group. They have to talk about the tech behind the games, not just saying if something looks good or dont.
Sure, they can do that but their awards videos are literally titled best graphics and they chose mario wonder and high fi rush over games like Dead Island 2. I dont think either of those games were pushing any fancy ray tracing tech.

They do this all the time. I remember in 2020, they left out Ghost of Tsushima and ranked Demon Souls and TLOU2 behind Spiderman Miles because they didnt have ray tracing. Yes, Miles the game literally using the same map.

I could excuse their obsession with RT and artsy fartsy crap in weak years like 2022 and 2021, but this year was jam packed with insane looking titles. I dont even mind them picking robocop tbh, I just dont know how you pick mario over Starfield, forza, dead island 2, and even atomic heart.

RavionUHD

Sure, they can do that but their awards videos are literally titled best graphics and they chose mario wonder and high fi rush over games like Dead Island 2. I dont think either of those games were pushing any fancy ray tracing tech.

They do this all the time. I remember in 2020, they left out Ghost of Tsushima and ranked Demon Souls and TLOU2 behind Spiderman Miles because they didnt have ray tracing. Yes, Miles the game literally using the same map.

I could excuse their obsession with RT and artsy fartsy crap in weak years like 2022 and 2021, but this year was jam packed with insane looking titles. I dont even mind them picking robocop tbh, I just dont know how you pick mario over Starfield, forza, dead island 2, and even atomic heart.
Thats true, I just played a bit Starfield after completing Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, and although it definitly has better lightning, AO, shadows, reflections and these things due to Path Tracing, the asset quality in Starfield is simply much better then CP 2077.
And this has a huge impact on the overall visual quality.

2lM2YzH.jpg

ZV8hTQ3.jpg

SRzWzVT.jpg

1HEbO5L.jpg

Last edited:
The environment lighting in this Cyberpunk game is not that far off from something like Doom 3 on the PC; It has more lighting density than Doom 3 and more accurate materials but at the core of its lighting the shading is still in the same generation. Games like Starfield is a whole another level than this in terms of lighting in the environments.
Ah so now we're comparing lighting from 2 gens ago with next next gen path tracing...
Is it glaucoma thursday again already?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The environment lighting in this Cyberpunk game is not that far off from something like Doom 3 on the PC; It has more lighting density than Doom 3 and more accurate materials but at the core of its lighting the shading is still in the same generation. Games like Starfield is a whole another level than this in terms of lighting in the environments.
Doom Eternal maybe. Both are last gen games with RT slapped on top.

Doom 3's lighting was already topped in the PS3 era with games like KZ2 and Crysis. I remember arguing with PC bros who were convinced that Doom 3 would be the best looking game of that PS360 gen, and then KZ2 came out. Sadly, they had moved on to Crysis so it was a fight I was never going to win, but in terms of actual lighting fidelity, plenty of first person shooters that gen had a generational leap in lighting over Doom 3. Just put 343's Halo 4 next to Doom 3. It wasnt even close. This is back when 343i still had talent.

Starfield's interiors look better than cyberpunk's interiors due to asset quality. The lighting in starfield completely falls apart outdoors which is where cyberpunk's lighting truly shines.

SlimySnake

Played some AC Mirage last night to see Baghdad and eh, it looks fairly mediocre. I remember AC origins looking better than this. Maybe its the architecture but the lighting feels dated as well. Especially coming off of Avatar which btw kept the ugliest sections for last. The third and final area looks straight up like a Skyrim mod. But apparently there is a story reason for the smog so maybe it looks better when the haze is lifted.

But AC Mirage just makes me happy that last gen is behind us. The terrible UE3 lighting is something im just completely done with. The asset quality looks better than PS3 era assets but again, just reeks of last gen. Everything from animations to NPCs looks so fucking dated I am pissed that i played through not one but 2 hour long prologues just to see Baghdad in action.

It also gave me a new appreciation for games like Starfield, Star Wars, Spiderman and yes Forza. The lighting in those games is just a cut above last gen games. They might not win many awards for graphics, but they do not look dated like AC Mirage.

shamoomoo

I agree, but it still to me has the most photorealistic character rending in a retail game. I really will like to see the dev push more pixel detail in the hair and better strand simulation.

This look eerily good, and it’s actual gameplay. Check out the animations on Hulk Hogan’s heel on the turnbuckle.

Is there YouTube footage available? The gif is choppy for me and I thought this was old footage of actual match.

Top Bottom