• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well supersampling is the goat, but it's obviously ridiculously expensive. DLAA is incredible looking and the best bang for buck. TAA and FXAA are too blurry and MSAA while crisp as fuck, doesn't cover specular aliasing so in modern games it fails on it's own. Oh and SMAA is a decent addition on top of MSAA but it doesn't do enough on it's own. But it's light as hell and I'll take it over FXAA anyday as it doesn't blur the overall image.

I'd take MSAA + SMAA over TAA
There is a sub on reddit "fucktaa" and it's full of worst takes.
Good TAA solves so many issues that couldn't be easily and cheaply solved with just msaa, fxaa and taa.
It fixes sub pixel and in-texture shimmering. TAA can look crazy clean.
It can look plenty crap too. depends on the implementation

Senua

Gold Member
I thought DLAA was supersampling? If i enable DLAA at native 4k res, what resolution is it running at? 4k?
It is native!

Good TAA solves so many issues that couldn't be easily and cheaply solved with just msaa, fxaa and taa.
TAA can look clean until you start moving, I'm not a big fan of it at all. DLSS quality at 4k or even better DLAA is the way to go for modern games, period.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I chose TAA over FSR when playing callisto recently. FSR added so much more jaggies and shimmering whereas TAA not only removed them all but also retained the crisp look of native res.

I really dont get the TAA hate.

Xtib81

The horrible launch of 2042. Also games takes more time to make and the new BF will be under Zampella and a new management. They recently rebranded the BF and frostbite logo, new game is probably on a nextgen iteration of the FB engine too. 2042 still getting support this year so 2025 fall is the earliest we'll see a new BF imo

Idk. I could swear I read Tom Anderson hinting at a 2024 release. It's not like 2042 has had an incredible either to be honest. We shall see.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I chose TAA over FSR when playing callisto recently. FSR added so much more jaggies and shimmering whereas TAA not only removed them all but also retained the crisp look of native res.

I really dont get the TAA hate.
oh god I swear... FSR2 is only good when you use it at 4k and quality or ultra quality preset... barely.
People hate TAA because they think it blurs the image or something. I don't get it. Or it added ghosting in few games... visible only by digital foundry.
If you look at ant RE2 mods vids on yt, these fools always have FXAA disabled. It's these pc master race nerds disabling fxaa because it's "too blurry" while in many games like re2 or re3 it is purposefully created to deal with dithering. The game hair was made to be dedithered by taa.
0:10 (don't ask why I know about re2 mods lol)

Lethal01

im with rofif on this one. went back to it recently and man it just looks bland. Everything from lighting to assets. Forget character models, entire game has a B movie feel to it.

Graphics isnt about whether you think something looks nice, it's about accuracy and volume

Alex11

No one is shitting on Cyberpunk though. I want to be clear I'm an artist looking in, not a graphics programmer. I'm pointing out what newer games are doing in their lighting models from my pov as an artist. Recent retail games like Starfield, Mortal Kombat 1, WWE 2K23 now have a wider range of shades in the model; These newer range of shades are important because it is displaying the distance of light traveling.

xeO7ssV.jpg
AK4FP7F.jpg
Well fuck me, now I feel like an asshole, I'm also an artist, 2D artist, so I really put ahead of everything the artistic touch of a game, but this is the thing, we gotta stop thinking of graphics this way, and more in a technical way.

And this is a mistake most of us make, maybe we need separate filters for graphics quality: stylized vs. realistic vs. cinematic and so one so forth.
But it's tiresome when some flaws can be accepted for one game but not for another, and I see this all the time.

I've said it before, don't have a fan club with the name Cyberpunk 2077, but to say anything at this point against its lighting system is beyond me. You can comment about some assets, sure, some textures, okay, but acceptable, being an open world with dynamic TOD. You can say about its awful draw distance with those cardboard cars, Jesus Christ, can believe no one at DF even fucking mentioning this shit. But the lighting, no, it's the most accurate and realistic one at the moment, there is no contest.

This game with TLOU 2 and Horizon FW are the best and should not be made fun of, just because there's gonna be another game/s that makes thing better graphically doesn't take away their merits.

To be fair, Rockstar was in a league of its own even on last gen consoles. And it wasnt until horizon FW came out when it was finally topped. Avatar definitely looks better than both.

Studios like Rockstar, ND and CD Project are just in a league of their own. I think its a mistake to pick these exceptions to the rule to say every game should be like this. Rockstar will set the bar once again when GTA6 comes out followed by ND and CD Project raising it even further. Both CD project and ND went late last gen in 2020 and with longer dev times and piss poor management, we likely wont see their games till 2026 at the latest.

I am happy with Starfield, Avatar, Alan Wake 2, FF16 and yes even Spiderman 2. I was going through my captures just last night and i was stunned by just how good looking the game's characters looked at times and thats the weakest part of the game. I treat these games like the Divisions, Quantum Break, and FF15 of this gen and I see a generational leap over those games.

Next year though. its going to be rough and you will me bitching about how everything from FF7 to Dragons Dogma and that Ghost of Tsushima ripoff from Team Ninja looks last gen as fuck. One good thing is that all those studios are extremely talented so the gameplay will be amazing but as a graphics whore this year is going to be rough.
I don’t know if I’d put CD projeckt red on the level of the other two but I see what you’re saying.

Well fuck me, now I feel like an asshole, I'm also an artist, 2D artist, so I really put ahead of everything the artistic touch of a game, but this is the thing, we gotta stop thinking of graphics this way, and more in a technical way.

And this is a mistake most of us make, maybe we need separate filters for graphics quality: stylized vs. realistic vs. cinematic and so one so forth.
But it's tiresome when some flaws can be accepted for one game but not for another, and I see this all the time.

I've said it before, don't have a fan club with the name Cyberpunk 2077, but to say anything at this point against its lighting system is beyond me. You can comment about some assets, sure, some textures, okay, but acceptable, being an open world with dynamic TOD. You can say about its awful draw distance with those cardboard cars, Jesus Christ, can believe no one at DF even fucking mentioning this shit. But the lighting, no, it's the most accurate and realistic one at the moment, there is no contest.

This game with TLOU 2 and Horizon FW are the best and should not be made fun of, just because there's gonna be another game/s that makes thing better graphically doesn't take away their merits.
Alex11, this is the graphical fidelity I expect thread, all these games will be critiqued. If you're a fan of these games then this thread is probably the wrong place to be in, respectfully.

SimTourist

Not really. Halo 4 was a tour de force when it came out on Xbox 360, squeezing every last ounce of performance from that machine, and it still looks pretty good today at 4K on MCC.
Not really, it was ugly and muddy back then and it's even worse now. They had to cut almost everything special about Halo 3/Reach to make room for shitty lense flares and bloom. Advanced AI, big levels, HDR lighting, physics, water physics, high res textures, volumetric clouds, etc. Not to mention the generally bad art style that looks dated as hell today.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Another shot of Cyberpunk, there are a lot of shadows that are not in these scenes, but I'm just pointing out a few examples.

ijm5mpF.jpg

This is why the range of shades are so low, not only do you need more shadows in these scenes but you also need to capture the distance reduction of light travel between the object and a surface on a material.
What narrative was changed about how light works?
Alex11, this is the graphical fidelity I expect thread, all these games will be critiqued. If you're a fan of these games then this thread is probably the wrong place to be in, respectfully.
Upcoming Grand Theft Auto 6 using the new lighting model I talked about earlier.

Ur19iAV.jpg

DjxhgZi.jpg
At this moment im not even sure if you are trolling or you are seriously believing the shit you posted.

Man, one time they say it doesn't have bounce lighting and point out dark areas the other time they say its missing shadows on places that show bounce lighting lol. I swear i can't take some of the posts here not even that serious anymore. Especially with the examples of other games they compare it with. Just look at this post below where he still claims that CP2077 doesn't have enough bounce lighting after all the examples i have showed them. And how ironic they always post those crushed black shots with lots of contrast. Same with the guy above, he thinks that the harsh shadows are better than the realistic soft shadows from CP2077 you see from bounce lighting. He think that even the inaccurate lighting and shading in SF is better than CP2077. Like how can i discuss with those guys if they keep posting shit like this where im literally mind blown how they prefer old inaccurate lighting over path traced lighting.

It's not changing the narrative.
Path Tracing is cyberpunk simply lacks bounces so it ends up creating too dark shadows where there should be some more light.

That said, if these aren't the best screenshots I've ever taken. HOLY FUCK
Especially that first one. fuck me that's amazing
TPfGYhI.jpg

KjynzsK.jpg

1XPIcmL.jpg

osfXwme.jpg

Like, I think the shadow under the car and on the side of the box in last pic should be brighter. In reality, I would be able to tell details there.
Now, that might be up to HDR. This is monitor and HDR job to do/simulate that but I played with hdr and it doesn't help here.
Look at metro exodus rt version. It's still plenty bright under the car and it was way too dark too in original rt version

RjFNQhp.jpg
Why does your shots of CP2077 have crushed the blacks and have too much contrast?

If i post this and claim that those games and engine don't have bounce lighting how accurate is it?
268-Grand-Theft-Auto-VI-Trailer-1-You-Tube.jpg

due-to-popular-demand-heres-the-interior-of-my-ship-v0-le51ua8fl4mb1.jpg

Unreal-Engine-5-02.jpg

CGNoire

distance reduction of light travel between the object and a surface on a material.
The technical phrase your looking for is called "Attenuation" of light which falls off its brightness via an inverse square. And yes its super important.

One of my favorite things about Metro 2033 graphics back in 2010 was how smooth the falloff "attenuation" was and how far its lights traveled.

CGNoire

Another shot of Cyberpunk, there are a lot of shadows that are not in these scenes, but I'm just pointing out a few examples.

ijm5mpF.jpg

This is why the range of shades are so low, not only do you need more shadows in these scenes but you also need to capture the distance reduction of light travel between the object and a surface on a material.
Can you confirm in OD mode whether or not the police weapons produce light when firing...same with the SWAT like teams and the thrusters from there vtol craft?

Cause that shit was missing in there last patch reveal. Which pissed me off. I was like "every light contributes my ass"

Last edited:

CGNoire

What is the best solution for AA on the market? SSAA, MSAA, FXAA, TAA, SMAA, DLAA? And which one strikes the best balance between performance and graphics?
Native 4k with Fxaa downsampled to 1080p results in flawless image quality on my Plasma. Shit looks straight prerendered without any blurring at all 100% of the time.

Turk1993

Can you confirm in OD mode whether or not the police weapons produce light when firing...same with the SWAT like teams and the thrusters from there vtol craft?

Cause that shit was missing in there last patch reveal. Which pissed me off. I was like "every light contributes my ass"
SjPXl.gif
SjPXu.gif

SjPXW.gif
SjPXd.gif

SjPXn.gif
SjPXQ.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At this moment im not even sure if you are trolling or you are seriously believing the shit you posted.

Man, one time they say it doesn't have bounce lighting and point out dark areas the other time they say its missing shadows on places that show bounce lighting lol. I swear i can't take some of the posts here not even that serious anymore. Especially with the examples of other games they compare it with. Just look at this post below where he still claims that CP2077 doesn't have enough bounce lighting after all the examples i have showed them. And how ironic they always post those crushed black shots with lots of contrast. Same with the guy above, he thinks that the harsh shadows are better than the realistic soft shadows from CP2077 you see from bounce lighting. He think that even the inaccurate lighting and shading in SF is better than CP2077. Like how can i discuss with those guys if they keep posting shit like this where im literally mind blown how they prefer old inaccurate lighting over path traced lighting.

Why does your shots of CP2077 have crushed the blacks and have too much contrast?

If i post this and claim that those games and engine don't have bounce lighting how accurate is it?
268-Grand-Theft-Auto-VI-Trailer-1-You-Tube.jpg

due-to-popular-demand-heres-the-interior-of-my-ship-v0-le51ua8fl4mb1.jpg

Unreal-Engine-5-02.jpg
It does. Yes. That’s what I’ve said. I posted it to show it’s crushed but otherwise looks good. I don’t like how dark it is

Turk1993

It does. Yes. That’s what I’ve said. I posted it to show it’s crushed but otherwise looks good. I don’t like how dark it is
seth-meyers-stressed.gif

This is what you said.
It's not changing the narrative.
Path Tracing is cyberpunk simply lacks bounces so it ends up creating too dark shadows where there should be some more light.

So you post screenshots where the constrast is broken and the blacks are crushed and tell me that the image is too dark because it lacks bounce lighting in path tracing. Just imagine if i posted a 240p screenshot and claimed that UC4 or Forspoken running at 8k have bad image quality. You do the same shit that Lumpyoatmeal guy is doing by using pictures with broken contrast and crushed blacks to create a false narrative.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
seth-meyers-stressed.gif

This is what you said.

So you post screenshots where the constrast is broken and the blacks are crushed and tell me that the image is too dark because it lacks bounce lighting in path tracing. Just imagine if i posted a 240p screenshot and claimed that UC4 or Forspoken running at 8k have bad image quality. You do the same shit that Lumpyoatmeal guy is doing by using pictures with broken contrast and crushed blacks to create a false narrative.
I don't understand what you want from me. I really don't.
I said PT lacks bounces and I posted some very impressive screenshots. Did I not?
The fact that screenshots are impressive has nothing to do with fact that you can see they are also too dark because either the game crushes contrast or lacks boucnes.

Like... we agree on this but you want to argue or what? We say the same thing lol

hlm666

I'm going to leave this here in the hopes people will understand cyberpunk looks the way it does because cdpr must want it that way (i'm talking about the base game no filters/mods). There are probably numerous cases where a light object has not been specifically set and just copied from another location and not modified but if it's a major location it's the way the artist wants it I would assume. They have options to drastically brighten everything, starting with something as simple as changing the intensity of the light. You don't have to like it, but it's not some kind of restriction because "path/ray tracing".

Obviously cyberpunk wont be as accurate as blender, i'm not trying to say it's a perfect example of path tracing and there's not a bunch of hacks to get it fast enough for real time but the basic concept of how the light works apply.

On the topic of bounces making it brighter again, this wont do what your hoping. I posted the cyberpunk mod video pages back showing 8 bounces doesn't make it magically bright and I could go and post a portal rtx video show 2 vs 8 bounces again not substantially brightening the scene. If most of the energy is being absorbed in the first couple of bounces your not going to hit something on the 4th/5th/6th bounce with much energy left to cause noticable lightening changes. You need to increase the lights intensity which could cause other issues or add more lights or change the materials in the scene to be less diffuse and absorb less light.

Thanks. Huh it looks kinda hit and miss or at the very least the flash doesnt travel very far. It looks like there is zero or very little bounce. Glad it wasnt omitted. One of there showcases must have been bugged. Hmmmm.
They changed to restir in 2.1 and it seems to have a slightly slower temporal accumulation than 2.0. So the muzzle flashes are probably a bit dimmer as a result, i've noticed it even with ray reconstruction on. You can see it on more than just the muzzle flashes but in other scenarios the light is on long enough that full brightness is still achieved.

I'm starting to get really curious how hard it would be to make a mod that would allow us to change path traced light sources intensity bias realtime in game, i'm actually starting to think having a light intensity slider built into raytraced game settings in the future could be a really good idea. It will really screw up the visuals at the extreme ends but I guess that wont be much different than someone cranking the gamma slider.

edit: I may aswell post a game related video showing how similar it is in the end.

Last edited:

Cgnoire, I have no interest in playing Cyberpunk. I got that screenshot from Turk1993, I had to literally dig into his post history so I could analyze the lighting model.

Last edited:

Turk1993

I don't understand what you want from me. I really don't.
I said PT lacks bounces and I posted some very impressive screenshots. Did I not?
The fact that screenshots are impressive has nothing to do with fact that you can see they are also too dark because either the game crushes contrast or lacks boucnes.

Like... we agree on this but you want to argue or what? We say the same thing lol
But normally the game doesn't look like your screenshot lol. That is the problem, your screenshots have bad contrast and crushed blacks. There are tons of video's on YT and none of them have the dark constrast and black so crushed as yours. I think i know what the problem is with your screenshots. Do you use HDR in this game? And if yes did you tweak it or leave it standard? Because when i compared some pictures in HDR and non HDR some time ago before the 3.5 patch the HDR pictures looked like your pictures. It was broken and had no setting to tweak with.

6156156.jpg

Turk1993

I'm going to leave this here in the hopes people will understand cyberpunk looks the way it does because cdpr must want it that way (i'm talking about the base game no filters/mods). There are probably numerous cases where a light object has not been specifically set and just copied from another location and not modified but if it's a major location it's the way the artist wants it I would assume. They have options to drastically brighten everything, starting with something as simple as changing the intensity of the light. You don't have to like it, but it's not some kind of restriction because "path/ray tracing".

Obviously cyberpunk wont be as accurate as blender, i'm not trying to say it's a perfect example of path tracing and there's not a bunch of hacks to get it fast enough for real time but the basic concept of how the light works apply.

On the topic of bounces making it brighter again, this wont do what your hoping. I posted the cyberpunk mod video pages back showing 8 bounces doesn't make it magically bright and I could go and post a portal rtx video show 2 vs 8 bounces again not substantially brightening the scene. If most of the energy is being absorbed in the first couple of bounces your not going to hit something on the 4th/5th/6th bounce with much energy left to cause noticable lightening changes. You need to increase the lights intensity which could cause other issues or add more lights or change the materials in the scene to be less diffuse and absorb less light.

They changed to restir in 2.1 and it seems to have a slightly slower temporal accumulation than 2.0. So the muzzle flashes are probably a bit dimmer as a result, i've noticed it even with ray reconstruction on. You can see it on more than just the muzzle flashes but in other scenarios the light is on long enough that full brightness is still achieved.

I'm starting to get really curious how hard it would be to make a mod that would allow us to change path traced light sources intensity bias realtime in game, i'm actually starting to think having a light intensity slider built into raytraced game settings in the future could be a really good idea. It will really screw up the visuals at the extreme ends but I guess that wont be much different than someone cranking the gamma slider.

edit: I may aswell post a game related video showing how similar it is in the end.

If the devs put a low value between 0 to 100 for the light intensity on some lights than it has nothing to do with PT been dark or not having bounce lighting. Its literally the choice of the dev to make things brighter or dimmer. Just like lights from the muzzle flashes, if they want they can make it brighter by adjusting the light value a bit higher.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But normally the game doesn't look like your screenshot lol. That is the problem, your screenshots have bad contrast and crushed blacks. There are tons of video's on YT and none of them have the dark constrast and black so crushed as yours. I think i know what the problem is with your screenshots. Do you use HDR in this game? And if yes did you tweak it or leave it standard? Because when i compared some pictures in HDR and non HDR some time ago before the 3.5 patch the HDR pictures looked like your pictures. It was broken and had no setting to tweak with.

6156156.jpg
What are you talking about?
I didn't modify the game. It looks exactly as I posted. the game is set to max and this is how it looks with PT.
I don't use reshade or any change to contrast/brightness.
MIND YOU I AM PLAYING WITH HDR and these screenshots are captured by windows gamebar which captures hdr version in .jxr format and sdr version in .sdr format. Each screenshot is 20 mb lol.

So when you actually play with HDR, on hdr screen it's better but in general it's very contrasty.
Your shots look washed out honestly.

Sometimes it looks like this:
9lu7Mav.jpg

pDTM5XQ.jpg

And in other parts of the city or time of day it looks like your screenshots. That's what Path Tracing does. It's nothing wrong with capturing my shots or settings.
pISOhvR.jpg

146ZMxI.jpg

CGNoire

Ive been thinking about this alot lately and I think these games despertly need AEC Automatic Exposure Control to mitigate this issue.

Last edited:

Turk1993

What are you talking about?
I didn't modify the game. It looks exactly as I posted. the game is set to max and this is how it looks with PT.
I don't use reshade or any change to contrast/brightness.
MIND YOU I AM PLAYING WITH HDR and these screenshots are captured by windows gamebar which captures hdr version in .jxr format and sdr version in .sdr format. Each screenshot is 20 mb lol.
And thats what im telling you.

So when you actually play with HDR, on hdr screen it's better but in general it's very contrasty.
Your shots look washed out honestly.

Sometimes it looks like this:
9lu7Mav.jpg

pDTM5XQ.jpg
Literally oversaturaded, dark contrast and crushed blacks because of your HDR like i said.

And in other parts of the city or time of day it looks like your screenshots. That's what Path Tracing does. It's nothing wrong with capturing my shots or settings.

pISOhvR.jpg

146ZMxI.jpg
Those screenshot are not even close to how it looks compared to my screenshots. They all look the same as your other screenshots and have the same shitty contrast, oversaturation and crushed black man. Now i know why you think it looks dark, you been playing the game like that lol.

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-1-44-28.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-1-48-26.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-08-20.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-11-44.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-15-40.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-55-36.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-2-08-47.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-16-04-2023-6-29-07.jpg

And some of them are even before RR3.5

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And thats what im telling you.

Literally oversaturaded, dark contrast and crushed blacks because of your HDR like i said.

Those screenshot are not even close to how it looks compared to my screenshots. They all look the same as your other screenshots and have the same shitty contrast, oversaturation and crushed black man. Now i know why you think it looks dark, you been playing the game like that lol.

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-1-44-28.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-1-48-26.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-08-20.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-11-44.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-15-40.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-55-36.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-2-08-47.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-16-04-2023-6-29-07.jpg

And some of them are even before RR3.5
I mean yeah ok but it's not my fault the game HDR looks like that.
They just mastered it too look like that with hdr.
Again - it's a bit too hard to show how hdr looks like with just screenshots. Even well tonemapped like these.

Looking through my hdr pics, not screenshots, you can see how it looks closer in reality.
I think this more contrasty HDR presentation still looks better than just sdr.... even if it's a bit dark.
RlmyQxZ.jpg

wQGmSCp.jpg

yamaci17

rofif shots definitely has crushed blacks + oversaturation, that's not how untouched cyberpunk looks

"think this more contrasty HDR presentation still looks better than just sdr.... even if it's a bit dark."

it doesn't. as a matter of fact whatever your screen is outputting is horrible and ruins the game

Turk1993

I mean yeah ok but it's not my fault the game HDR looks like that.
They just mastered it too look like that with hdr.
Again - it's a bit too hard to show how hdr looks like with just screenshots. Even well tonemapped like these.

Looking through my hdr pics, not screenshots, you can see how it looks closer in reality.
I think this more contrasty HDR presentation still looks better than just sdr.... even if it's a bit dark.
RlmyQxZ.jpg

wQGmSCp.jpg
Nah man, i have the same tv as you (the 55inch model) and the HDR mode is oversaturaded, crushes the blacks and fuck up the contrast if you don't tweak some settings.

Just watch DF footage or even the official Nvidia chanel, they all look like my screenshots and have none of those issues you have.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah man, i have the same tv as you (the 55inch model) and the HDR mode is oversaturaded, crushes the blacks and fuck up the contrast if you don't tweak some settings.

Just watch DF footage or even the official Nvidia chanel, they all look like my screenshots and have none of those issues you have.

So hdr is just crappy by default. OK THEN SETTLED.
Games come with options to adjust the HDR for a reason rofif!
Yes cp2077 got some good options... I though I had it set right. Ah anyway. I am not playing that shitty game now anyway :p

Alex11

Yeah, I know how you feel and you can post however many examples with good explanations and all would be futile.
But yeah, you can't discuss it clearly, IMO there are very few people here that have valid points and don't turn it around to match their narrative.
The best one remains "There is no difference or too little between raster/RT vs PT".

But at the same, as you mentioned it, we mustn't take it too seriously or personally.
I think many confuse artistic or atmospheric lighting with accurate, realistic lighting, also people have preferences in visual styles and of course preference in their favourite games or franchises, you can't change it and can't reason with this stubbornness.
I have preferences too, I'm an art guy, but that doesn't matter, I can't just say CP looks worse because I like my game more artsy or more blueish or worse, compare it to a fucking 20 years old game, Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
But compare it to their previous efforts, Terminator looked decent enough in UE4, but the jump in Robo is nuts. It's very impressive for a low budget studio.

Terminator
Terminator_-Resistance-Enhanced_20210426151011.jpg

Robocop
Robocop-Rogue-City-30-12-2023-13-42-59.png

DS2 will look spectacular, currently playing Death Stranding again and it still looks lovely.

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-04-01-2024-15-14-25.png

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-03-01-2024-17-44-50.png

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-04-01-2024-15-17-43.png
DS still looks sooo good.

Every TV is different, so the default settings may look good on another set, which is why you always have to adjust to get the sweet spot for your set
All TVs should be calibrated to a standard. It’s not about what you think looks good, it’s about the proper settings. The creators intent.

Lethal01

Here's a shot of Toy Story 4, showcasing this quality.

gFUVLlq.jpg
GZo3Lvp.gif

Detail like this to an untrained eye can easily get overlook, but this is why videogames today have that sterile feel because they can not simulate this level of quality yet. If you want a real world example then turn the lights on in your caveman basement, next open the palm of your hand (object) and slowly move it close to a wall (surface) or a table. As your hand get closer to the surface pay super close attention to how smooth the shade gets as you reduce the distance of the light travel on the surface between your hand removing any scattered color bounces in the environment the closer your hand gets (you can translate this jargon into CGNoire's lingo "The technical phrase your looking for is called "Attenuation" of light which falls off its brightness via an inverse square."), your favorite videogame will never do this especially in motion.
THe common term is Contact Hardening

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Well, Toy Story 3 and 4 is the new bet!

Remember that Ratchet Clank Rift Apart and maybe some more cartoon games this gen, will touch Toys Story 2 level...
I mean, we have so many elements in games today, when we're talking about realism... Like, textures looking photorealistic!

But I hope to see cartoon games with Toy Story 3 or 4, level!

Anyway... We've been playing better looking games than all PS2 CGi era, by far !

Could never imagine a game or even a CGi equivalent to Alan Wake 2 and Horizon Forbidden West...
The next step is HELLBLADE 2, this year!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Alan Wake graphics programmers explain why they used Baked GI even in the PC's path tracing mode.

TLDR; it's too expensive even for path tracing and their baked GI solution is still very accurate and takes hours overnight to render. They give an example of light coming in from outside through a hole and said that even their current PT setup cant handle it so they didnt even bother. my guess is that they need more rays than current high end PC GPUs can offer.

This could explain why those raveon screenshots just look so dark. RTGI and PT need more data to get the lighting right.

HighPoly

Banned
How many more gens until we get graphics like this?

We've still got a long way to go....

The problem is the art style, cause Square Enix for example never invests in graphics...

So we'll never see that ''japanese'' style graphics at this level...

We'll probably see things like that in real time running on Unreal Engine 6, next gen, but made by Ninja Theory, Naughty Dog, Crytek, Santa Monica, whatever...

Take a look at how far Horizon Fobidden West has gone... Then now in 2024 Hellblade 2 will break this border...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Played through several cyberpunk missions instead of just driving around to see some interiors in action, and i couldn’t find anything completely dark and poorly out like those raveon screenshots. Not saying there aren’t other areas like that, but i didn’t see Anything that wasnt properly illuminated.

Now the difference between pt and standard lighting wasnt always transformative, but there is definitely proper light bounce everywhere. The subway entrance was the biggest difference with blue lights completely changing the look of the subway stations, but diners and indoor ripper rooms look fairly similar.

The biggest thing i noticed is that PT feels like it is CG in motion. Hard to describe it because the difference in stills is so small but when you are moving it feels like a movie and not just because i can only run it at 30 fps cinematic framerate.

P.s they must have improved performance since the dlc came out because i can now run it at a locked 30 fps with pt on albeit on medium settings even during firefights.

PeteBull

How many more gens until we get graphics like this?

We've still got a long way to go....

Similar quality but only in 1080p or even below that native with some advanced upscaling/reconstruction, i think ps7 so earliest 2036+, but make it w/o any shimering/antialiasing/artifacts like in the trailer, thats indeed 3-4 times more performance needed so likely ps8, maybe if ps7pr0 is a juggernaut but doubtful, rip :p

One thing for sure, that cinematic trailer is well beyond what 4090 is capable of, and ps6 will be roughly in same ballpark of power, hopefully bit stornger but definitely not even 50% more stronger, so ps6/ps6pr0 is out of the question to bring such a full package real time :D

Top Bottom