• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

angrod14

I don't get why people get so impressed with that "made in engine" shit. They always do that. It means nothing in terms of how games will look. Remember when Kojima posted those photorrealistic 1:1 recreation of his office in Fox Engine? It was the same shit. And that was a decade ago.

So far all UE5 was able to prove is that it runs like shit, looks like shit (hello 720p, we meet again!) on current hardware, and devs can't even bother using it. Nobody wants to work on that engine.

Last edited:
you guys need to go set your alarms cause this thread has been sleeping on plague tale requiem. Just got it and playing through and this little gem is secretly (in my opinion) one of the best looking games all Gen. Which isn’t saying much but still. I thought the first cutscene was cgi for a second with the opening shot I was so impressed.

It’s already breached into my top 5 most impressive real time graphics I’ve experienced this gen

For me it’s

Matrix demo (duh)

Demon souls
Plague Tale Requiem
FF16
Burning Shores

Rift Apart/Starfield

Spider man 2

(Haven’t played enough of Alan wake 2 or avatar to judge fairly but what I played I thought was good I guess)

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I’m expecting big things from Death Stranding 2 today. Kojima games almost always push the envelope technically and artistically. Guarantee we’ll be in here fawning over it if there is indeed a trailer today.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For me it’s

Matrix demo (duh)

Demon souls
Plague Tale Requiem
FF16
Burning Shores

Rift Apart/Starfield

Spider man 2

(Haven’t played enough of Alan wake 2 or avatar to judge fairly but what I played I thought was good I guess)

I'm really excited to see FF16 on high end PC hardware. Could set a new bar over even Alan Wake II.

DanielG165

I’ve been singing Plague Tale’s praises for a while now as the game truly does look spectacular, and offers some of the best environmental textures and fidelity we’ve seen yet. It looks absolutely insane on every platform, and especially on PC. Proper current gen title.

I’ve been singing Plague Tale’s praises for a while now as the game truly does look spectacular, and offers some of the best environmental textures and fidelity we’ve seen yet. It looks absolutely insane on every platform, and especially on PC. Proper current gen title.
Agree fully

I am trying to remember great looking UE4 games in the first three years of the PS4. help me out here, but I think it took devs years before they took full advantage of the UE4.

- There was batman which was basically a UE3 title so doesnt count.
- Rise of Tomb Raider. Great looking game, but nothing compared to what we've seen from latest UE4 titles.
- Gears of War 4. Same thing, good looking but newer games deliver the potential of those early UE4 demos far better.

And thats about it. It took a while for devs to push out UE4 games and the engine was ready in 2014 i believe, just a year into the launch of the consoles, unlike UE5 which shipped 2 years after launch. Now compare these games to late gen games like Days Gone, Gears 5, FF7 and cross gen games like Callisto, Dead Island 2, and Star Wars Survivor and they are a massive leap over Tomb Raider and Gears 4.

Im confident that as devs finally start to use UE5 more and more, you will see some truly stunning looking character models. Of course, devs have to be good at it. A studio like Supermassive was doing this with UE4 on a PS4. id say wait for Tomb Raider, CD project's next game, supermassive's next game and you will see hellblade 2 quality character models at the very least.

F75Fk6wWoAA65_Z

Wasn't The Quarry next gen only? The Asian chick from that game looked so lifelike. Animations tho for some characters were whack.

Kikorin

Considering Death Stranding is still one of the best looking games I've ever seen, I'm not surprised the second one looks even better.

Edder1

Am i the only one who sees the lighting as PS4 era? Yes the environment were next-gen quality.
But the environment lighting were bad, the lack of light bouncing were very apparent.
Also the ship environment looked bad lighting wise, reminded me of Avatar interior ship.
I thought lighting was top tier, it was the gameplay sections they showed that looked extremely underwhelming visually compared to cutscenes.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
With the full support of SIE, this new action espionage game will use cutting-edge technology and a stellar cast to deliver an experience like no other. Blurring the boundaries between film and games, offering near life-like graphics and a new take on interactive entertainment

Speaking my language. Bring it on!

setoman

I thought lighting was top tier, it was the gameplay sections they showed that looked extremely underwhelming compared to cutscenes.
Yeah i'm referring to gameplay lighting. It just looked completely off. It looks very flat. Take the entire environment of 4:49. Looks completely flat.

Edder1

Yeah that looks bad compared to anything coming out of UE5...
You really can't see the flat lighting? That have PS4 lighting written all over it.
Dude, it happens here all the time. Every time there's a new game people hype it up to oblivion only to come back down to earth after the hype dies down.

I will admit, cutscenes look really impressive, almost CGI level, but nothing I've seen in those gameplay sections looked beyond cross gen.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Dude, it happens here all the time. Every time there's a new game people hype it up to oblivion only to come back down to earth after the hype does down.

I will admit, cutscenes look really impressive, almost CGI level, but nothing I've seen in those gameplay sections looked beyond cross gen.
ps4 to ps5 is the smallest memory upgrade in the history of consoles. I don't think we will even see a leap that equals ps3 to ps4 in my opinion. it is really hard to push better lighting, textures and stuff all at the same time. ps5 itself is the cross gen console honestly

Last edited:

Edder1

ps4 to ps5 is the smallest memory upgrade in the history of consoles. I don't think we will even see a leap that equals ps3 to ps4 in my opinion. it is really hard to push better lighting, textures and stuff all at the same time. ps5 itself is the cross gen console honestly
I'm not buying into that. I think it's more about devs and publishers saving money by reusing assets and old tech. The likes of Hellblade 2 that has to run on Series S proves you can push visuals hard.

Even with Death Stranding 2 the cutscenes look easily a generation ahead of PS4, but I'm not sure what happened to gameplay graphics. Maybe Kojima is doing too many projects right now (he's got one with Microsoft and also working on espionage game after this) and they chose to use older assets and tech for gameplay to speed things up.

yamaci17

I'm not buying into that. I think it's more about devs and publishers saving money by reusing assets and old tech. The likes of Hellblade 2 that has to run on Series S proves you can push visuals hard.

Even with Death Stranding 2 the cutscenes look easily a generation ahead of PS4, but I'm not sure what happened to gameplay graphics. Maybe Kojima is doing too many projects right now (he's got one with Microsoft and also working on espionage game after this) and they chose to use older assets and tech for gameplay to speed things up.
here's hoping

Audiophile

With GTAVI & DS2 it looks like the next current generation is finally starting in 2025.

Only caveat is hair, if only they could work out better hair. The low accuracy DoF, alpha and filtering on it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the rest of the great visuals. "Strand-based hair" would be nice, maybe they should hit up Insomniac...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Some good tech on display for ds2 but i'm not sold on the nextgen jump for the faces...the recent ue5 metahuman demo still looks noticeably better.

The combat cutscene, the scene with the water and the mountain collapsing were the highlight, the light system seems pretty great aswell.

That bit of shooting didn't looked as dogshit as the shooting in the first one, a man can hope.

Overall, gta6 was fairly more impressive imo, that one was unbelievable in some scenes, this looks in the realm of believability because let's face it, locations are gonna be mostly empty and very few characters on screen (if not just sam) for the majority of time, it should look even better than it does during gameplay.
Gta6 also manage to have way better hairs with 8455846759469 characters on screen if the trailer is real, also probably way better animations and advance ia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom