• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Audiophile

I'd rather AW2 on consoles traded off a little complexity to get to 1440p with stronger AA + a straight upscale.

I played TLOU2 on my PS4 Pro on a 55" 4K OLED and I thought it looked great. I understand it's a good bit softer compared to the native 4K presentation in the PS5 remaster but I'd take a softer but coherent and temporally stable image akin to the Pro version of that in AW2 over a ropey temporal approach that's perceptibly sharper but laden with distracting shimmering/aliasing/breakup.

Alternatively they could push for a 1800CB which Ghost Of Tsushima used on PS4 Pro to surprisingly good effect. Which has even less native pixels than the 1296p+FSR2 presentation.

I honestly don't think I've seen any FSR presentations that compare favourably to the PS4 Pro-era checkerboarding, Insomniac's Temporal Injection or native 1440p presentations with good AA.

I think we're at the point now where I consider significant aliasing to be a broken product. If IQ is suffering I think the general complexity of visuals should be traded to balance the frame.

Last edited:

yamaci17

as expected, difference is caused by the 4K buffer. no texture or foliage improvements. all the same. it is just all 4K magic.

ps4 pro = ps5 performance mode

9JpXP7H.png

qoBsxFG.png
jQUjiQG.png

I will later do comparisons in movement. movement is more brutal. 1440p performance mode fails much worse than quality mode in motion due to lower resolution buffer

and here's my personal verdict

having played alan wake 2 at 1440p dlss balanced (due to vram + performance reasons) with ray tracing, it still looks better than tlou 2 running at full on native 4K. there's something missing in TLOU2 that AW2 has and resolution cannot cover that up. just like how running GEARS 5 at 4k did not make it a better looking game than last of us part 2 running on base ps4! this is the reverse of that.

But of course I don't know how aw2 looks on this console aside from what I've seen in videos. i dont have aw2 on ps5 and i dont plan on getting it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

People give these reshades or whatever they’re called shit - but this video with the custom assets looks insane to me. Like the dirt on the glass of the motorbike - crazy

Looks the same as any reshade mod. Oversharpening and washed out luts. Someone sucked out all the contrast.
What tricks you is the intro with nice imported models and non playable weird head bob/camera sway in the beginning.

Everything else is stock. The reflections, shadows, motion blur and lighting is normal cyberpunk stuff. Pop-in included.

Last edited:
Looks the same as any reshade mod. Oversharpening and washed out luts. Someone sucked out all the contrast.
What tricks you is the intro with nice imported models and non playable weird head bob/camera sway in the beginning.

Everything else is stock. The reflections, shadows, motion blur and lighting is normal cyberpunk stuff. Pop-in included.
You’re saying the opening is non playable? Or it wouldn’t be fun to play with that type of headbob?

I don’t know if turning down the contrast is an actual negative - the other stuff sounds more objectively bad but I do think some games just go too hard on high contrast.

T4keD0wN

People give these reshades or whatever they’re called shit - but this video with the custom assets looks insane to me. Like the dirt on the glass of the motorbike - crazy

It looks impressive, but all of these "GTA5 youtuber vomit" filters are almost the same and ruin any art direction. I wouldnt call them shit, id just call them bad taste.
The videos end up watchable, but playing it that way is a horrendous experience. The nova lut mod used in this specific video is not nearly as bad as most imo (the ones with vibrance, contrast and sharpening cranked up) but it still looks worse than the original game even though it looks more realistic which i guess was the point of the mod (i think it succeeds at that pretty well, but i just find realistic looking games boring and uncreative).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You’re saying the opening is non playable? Or it wouldn’t be fun to play with that type of headbob?

I don’t know if turning down the contrast is an actual negative - the other stuff sounds more objectively bad but I do think some games just go too hard on high contrast.
It's a modded head bob. Not sure how but you only get that in vr and without vr, you would be sick of it when playing.
And the contrast only makes it look like an instagram filter.

This is how you do a proper mod without instagram contrast

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
weren't u around back at quantum break release? it is probably the first big aaa game to use 1080p DLSS quality equivalent of upscaling

it literally has dedicated countless videos about it

though in that case not even a gtx 980 back then would run quantum break at native 1080p 60 fps.

now these are ultra settings but you get my point lol. game was tough to run. I still gave my old gtx 1080 quite the workout back when i played it in 2020. amazing game that too. visuals aged good. especially when u disable upscaling mode. but I could barely get 1080p locked 60 lol

remedy probably targets those people that watch from 2+ meter distance on their TV. no other explanation. us folks who play up close to the screen gets shafted. probably the gist of it. I mean this is the case for many other games too.

jesus that first video is giving me nightmares. Even i dont remember it looking that soft. I guess that was because i was still gaming on a 1080p tv.

Compared to uncharted 4, the image quality is a massive step down. I appreciate Remedy making PCs the lead platform to ensure they dont get held back by consoles, but there has to be a better balance than this. The DF video shows that Alan Wake was running at 560p on the 360. Even early gen PS3 games didnt run that bad.

I do think that there is something going on with their AA solution. There is a post processing setting that introduces a lot of shimmering on edges if i keep it at low. turning it to high is like a 20-30% hit to the GPU. But even with it off, and DLSS enabled, i still see the same aliasing rofif sees in the PS5 version, just not as pronounced and not as often. Like someone said earlier, Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone use 1800p cb and they dont have this kind of aliasing. This is very fixable. Remedy should continue to look into it beacuse i suspect Max Payne and Control will have the same issues if they dont.

P.S I played Control on my brand new 2080 at 960p internal resolution lmao. Remedy gives no fucks.

Alex11

I am glad that TLOU2 finally got a 4k patch because now we should be able to do 1:1 comparisons. I will see if i can capture some like to like areas. I think TLOU2 still looks great but ive been going back and forth between the two over the last couple of weeks, and AW2 is just leagues ahead in terms of lighting, asset quality, character models, and overall fidelity. It has that CG look even in non-RT modes while TLOU2 feels very much gamey.
I mentioned that the lighting is better, but it has some issues.
You have these scenes where it looks really ugly and wrong, and it isn't the only scene that presents like this:
XhzcNsb.png

Then scenes like these, where the light is obstructed and shouldn't be seen through the wall:
v2LcRrl.png

It also has low quality assets:
oWYI4QL.jpeg

qIrEYKy.jpeg

Nyk8JJi.png

hDF2XOE.jpeg

Look how weak the rocks look, and never mind those waterfalls, I mean come on, those look horrible, and again these aren't isolated, there are all over the place.

One moment you have this amazing scene, can't believe how good it looks, turn the camera a bit and be welcomed by a much worse scene:
7X8SWQ6.jpeg

J6STrxr.jpeg

And lots of other examples of low quality textures and weak looking NPC's.
Again, the lighting yeah, when it shines it's a fucking supernova, but then it has some very low things that I didn't see in TLOU2, and that's why IMO is much, much more polished and in some things even does it better.

SlimySnake

I mentioned that the lighting is better, but it has some issues.
You have these scenes where it looks really ugly and wrong, and it isn't the only scene that presents like this:
XhzcNsb.png

Then scenes like these, where the light is obstructed and shouldn't be seen through the wall:
v2LcRrl.png

It also has low quality assets:
oWYI4QL.jpeg

qIrEYKy.jpeg

Nyk8JJi.png

hDF2XOE.jpeg

Look how weak the rocks look, and never mind those waterfalls, I mean come on, those look horrible, and again these aren't isolated, there are all over the place.

One moment you have this amazing scene, can't believe how good it looks, turn the camera a bit and be welcomed by a much worse scene:
7X8SWQ6.jpeg

J6STrxr.jpeg

And lots of other examples of low quality textures and weak looking NPC's.
Again, the lighting yeah, when it shines it's a fucking supernova, but then it has some very low things that I didn't see in TLOU2, and that's why IMO is much, much more polished and in some things even does it better.

Those are some fugly looking forest screenshots lol. The rest i dont see whats so wrong. Inaccurate maybe but not bad like the forest shots.

I guess they couldve done a better job with some of the level edges but i honestly didnt notice them. everywhere i look the game feels a lot more consistent than TLOU2 did. You can see some of my screenshots i posted on the very first page of this thread where some abby levels look really bad. Even now as i play through the game, i notice that the lighting and asset quality in pretty much all interiors is just a step or three behind AW2. Certain outdoor levels with heavy foliage is where the game can look comparable, I will concede that much, but again, the lighting falls short in those areas as well. I think ND is going to easily top AW2 with their next game, but AW2's cinematography will stay with me for a while.

You can take your worst screenshot of bright falls and put it next to this day time shot of TLOU2 i just captured. Same goes for any interior shot with these ones. They dont look bad, just not as good as AW2.

GE-a1mmXoAAtyS8

GE-a1mnXkAA_slz

GE-a1moXgAACOsp

GE-a1mlWkAA1R-Y

SlimySnake

Here are some interior shots of AW2. The boatyard section is just some random area that I just stumbled upon and it looks just as good as any other main campaign area. Anyway, ive captured a lot of TLOU2 footage and it looks glorious so going to work on creating some gifs.

GEfuX_dXcAAx0v1

GDW9GlbWAAA5DRf

GEfubMUXQAAIfh3

YYOZfbe.gif

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

Always you xd
Dude, you really dont know what are you talking about. You speak as if saturation and contrast, aka color pop, is all real life is about.
Real life have a lot of luminic conditions, and a lot of times is just dull.

When the sun hides behing the clouds, everything looks colder and 'washed out', 'unrealistic' for you. But when things are under direct sunlight, they 'pop' a lot more. That's how it is.
You look like you would say raining doesnt look real because they make everything gray.

The CP is very accurate in that regard, wether you like it or not. (even if they dried the weather a bit too much)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Always you xd
Dude, you really dont know what are you talking about. You speak as if saturation and contrast, aka color pop, is all real life is about.
Real life have a lot of luminic conditions, and a lot of times is just dull.

When the sun hides behing the clouds, everything looks colder and 'washed out', 'unrealistic' for you. But when things are under direct sunlight, they 'pop' a lot more. That's how it is.
You look like you would say raining doesnt look real because they make everything gray.

The CP is very accurate in that regard, wether you like it or not. (even if they dried the weather a bit too much)
What are you even talking about. It’s just washed out lol

yamaci17

I do think that there is something going on with their AA solution. There is a post processing setting that introduces a lot of shimmering on edges if i keep it at low. turning it to high is like a 20-30% hit to the GPU. But even with it off, and DLSS enabled, i still see the same aliasing rofif sees in the PS5 version, just not as pronounced and not as often. Like someone said earlier, Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone use 1800p cb and they dont have this kind of aliasing. This is very fixable. Remedy should continue to look into it beacuse i suspect Max Payne and Control will have the same issues if they dont.
what is this shimmering you talk about by the way? I never noticed much of a shimmering. where can I replicate it? i played the game with ray reconstruction, is it possible that helped it? interestingly enabling ray reconstruction greys out the post processing setting too. that is why I was surprised to hear people had shimmering issues

foliage looks rough at times with both tlou and aw 2. foliage in general in games are overrated and only looks good under right lighting circumstances. rdr 2 foliage, tlou 2 foliage is not really different in that respect

Last edited:

SlimySnake

what is this shimmering you talk about by the way? I never noticed much of a shimmering. where can I replicate it? i played the game with ray reconstruction, is it possible that helped it? interestingly enabling ray reconstruction greys out the post processing setting too. that is why I was surprised to hear people had shimmering issues

foliage looks rough at times with both tlou and aw 2. foliage in general in games are overrated and only looks good under right lighting circumstances. rdr 2 foliage, tlou 2 foliage is not really different in that respect
Its rare and usually appears on door edges. You can see it in this gif on the pictures on the wall.

r9ZgYGl.gif

yamaci17

Its rare and usually appears on door edges. You can see it in this gif on the pictures on the wall.

r9ZgYGl.gif

it looks like ray reconstruction minimizes it

well I will use that too. it is part of the deal why we paid so much money for rtx gpus. might as well utilize it lol. wouldn't make sense for ME personally if i didnt use all those features. might as well go trade my gpu with a 6700xt in that case. but nah I like what I have right now

idk and idc about this shimmering stuff never bothered me if it happened at all lol. it is console problem, they should've had their dedicated upscalers with tech to support it. you can only do so much with software. the checkerboard games you mention are usually ones that super focused 1st party titles. just because something is doable does not mean it is viable to do so. it is easier to standardize at the hardware level so that developers who wont have resources, means and MAYBE skills to do so will also leverage the hardware to achieve similar results.

it was clear consoles were going to super reliant on upscalers for everything this gen. consoles should've come better prepared. fsr 2 is not an answer... it is just not good enough.

the above video is 960p. you focus on pixel counts but you're focusing at the wrong part. if fsr 2 or GG's original solution failed with 2.8 millions of pixels when DLSS can have minimized shimmer with only 1.6 millions of pixels, there's something very wrong or outdated with other upscalers. which is why I will non stop keep shilling over DLSS because it deserves the praise. it allows low/midrange gpus to render at very low amount of pixels and still get a respectable, stable and clean output. that is sooo valuable. and that WOULD be what consoles need since they're now lowend hardware themselves!

sooner or later consoles will have to work based on rendering 2-2.5 millions of pixels. 10 tflops of gpu power can only do so much! GG being able to push pixels count to 4 millions, good for them! how much of it would be possible if the game was not focused to run on ps4/pro to begin with!

Last edited:

yamaci17

4kcb is basically doing half the pixels of an 8.2 million 4k buffer. So 4.1 million pixels. That looked excellent because it was using more raw pixel data than a 1440p resolution which had 3.6 million pixels. The problem with AW2 is that it is reconstructing from 2.8 million pixels. FSR2 balanced uses 1296p just like Horizon Forbidden's 1800p checkerboard solution which was literally fucking broken at launch due to the lower pixel count simply not being enough to render foliage without adding shimmering EVERYWHERE. it was literally the worst looking upscaling solution ive ever seen. AW2 is better thanks to FSR2 being more advanced but it still has the same shimmering issues when turning the camera.

GG had to go back and redesign their entire checkerboard solution and it took them almost 6 months to do so. Now it looks great. Remedy needs to do the same. AFAIK, GG had to feed it a lot more data when reconstructing the image, so maybe Remedy will have to do more work instead of just plugging into the FSR pipeline.

I think they should just do a 1440p native image like ND does and it will get rid of the awful shimmering and let the tvs upscale to 4k. Most tvs do a great job doing that. TLOU2 looks fine. FSR2 has a cost on the GPU of around 20% and i think with some settings downgrade they can get to 1440p.

it looks like for them output resolution is more important than shimmers. 4k output is valuable and although tv upscaling might be decent, it is good that they focus on 4K output. did you know game outputs to 1440p even on series s? it is why it has so many texture streaming problems / low quality textures. for remedy it is clear that output resolution / overall clarity is much more important than internal resolution/shimmery nature of fsr upscaling. if it wasn't so, they would target 1080p output on series s. but they went ahead and decided even the lowest end console should output to 1440p. end result is great, the game looks very decent on series s aside from lowres textures here and there. and probably a shimmer fest. it is practically their preference, get clarity at the cost of more shimmer and instability.

i mean since they even target an output of 1440p on series s, i dont even think they at any point considered 1440p output for series x and ps5 in any shape or form lol

which is why no one on PC, even with a 1080p screen, should play this game at 1080p output because game simply looks so wrong and bad at 1080p output. they did not even test it most likely. they instead developed a super reactive texture streamer that will allow even 8-10 gb gpus to output to 1440p and 4k easily (probably efforts to make series s compliant with the game helped with that greatly). game will stream things other devs would usually just leave on the memory buffer all the time. last of us part 1 and part 2 for example always leave the DPAD inventory menu on buffer on consoles. on PC they had to patch it so that it is now streamed from the SSD lol. alan wake 2 does it on an another level, everything THAT has potential to be streamed is being streamed indeed. it is why it is also more nextgen than other games because it uses SSD capabilities in a way that helps other hardware and push more stuff for even low vram budgets (series s, your gpu, my gpu and so on). the fact last of us part 1 or probably part 2 does not need to do that on PS5 proves that those both games do not even use any kind of proper streaming capabilities of PS5. alan wake 2 does. it even streames a lot of textures and assets on consoles too.

i mean they literally stream all mind place, map textures and many more stuff on the fly. much more dynamically than other games do. they had to do this for constrained levels. because asset quality up close is so great... and meshes too. if not for such a robust "everything should be streamable" approach, we would've lastgen assets up close everywhere and even with great lighting, it would have this semi feeling of nextgen like cyberpunk often has with ps4 levels of assets consistently.

they focused on stuff like this, it is no wonder they didn't have time for proper upscaling of their own. they're not imsomniac or naughty dog after all. the work they did is already crazy and amazing for their caliber...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So what are we expecting from the Sony State of Play? Anything next gen?

Silent Hill 2 downgrade? its bloober after all and UE5 had a pretty rough year on consoles last year.

Death Stranding 2 looking better than AW2, Avatar, etc? Or a spiderman 2 level leap in visuals?

The rest is going to be gaas trash so these are the only two games that im looking forward to.

JimRyanGOAT

Silent Hill 2 downgrade? its bloober after all and UE5 had a pretty rough year on consoles last year.

Death Stranding 2 looking better than AW2, Avatar, etc? Or a spiderman 2 level leap in visuals?

The rest is going to be gaas trash so these are the only two games that im looking forward to.

Im hoping all the extra time was spent on optimization after seeing all the blowback

I don't think Bloober want to mess this up, they know whats on the line. Its Konami that never cares

Toots

Gold Member
After those glorious tlou2 gif you posted, anything PS5 only by naughty dogs.
I was bitching in another thread about the lack of upgrades from ps4 to ps5 but seeing it in movement with a nice framerate oh boy it seems upgraded enough :pie_starstruck:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I expect to be disappointed except for stellar blade.

Whitecrow

Banned
Have you seen Unreal's Meta Human tech?

This was done with just the camera of an Iphone.

Well, they do give an F indeed, but how many games are using it right now, Hellblade 2?

No game on the market made in UE have character rendering at the same quality as enviroment IMO.

winjer

Gold Member
Jesus christ that first video (second one is not nearly as impressive), if ND doesn't get close to this with tlou3 we are done for this gen...

This is way better than hellblade 2 character rendering imo.

Sorry, but I consider that the second video is the most impressive, for one simple reason, it was done with a phone camera. By one guy, in his spare time, for his youtube channel.
Some years ago, it would take dozens of devs and animators, months of work to do something similar.

yamaci17

lemme share some random game's screenshots captured at native 4k on a 3090 but say "4.3 TerAfLOps!!1 Gtx 1060!11 7 year old GPu!1" because the same game is able to run at 1080p/30 fps with paired back settings on the 1060. technically if 1060 can run it, I can share the 3090 screenshot and proclaim the game was possible to run on the 1060 too. so how logical is that?

game is blurry garbage on base ps4 with 1.8 tflops budget. I know because I played it. it nowhere near looked as good as it did on promotional screenshots. only now on PS5 that the game actually looks like what has been shown. then I got a PS5 and managed to see what the ps4 pro version looked like. still semi blurry garbage because it is still 1440p. foliage turns into mush the second you move the camera. it is just pretending at that point. and cutscenes are just pretenders in graphics departments anyways, never shows the true capabilities of a GPU. it is real time that is important and should be taken as a metric. yes cutscenes looked good on PS4 but that is not something I can see as impressive when the entirety of the rendering budget goes to 2 characters on the screen. of course it better looks good. this has nothing to do with ps4 or console magic or ND magic

no they didnt do any magic on 1.8 tflops or 4 tflops. if they made the game look clean, pristine and sharp as it is how on PS5 ON THOSE original hardware then the "1.8 TfFLopS mAGic!1" argument would be relevant. 1.8 tflops machine is just pretending it is rendering the game.

this thread should be better than that.

even then in game models even at 4k are still a big downgrade compared to cutscenes. they're still far cry from what you get in cutscenes

quality mode

b7xlGuQ.jpeg

so yeah it is because the game is designed to barely hit 30 fps at 1080p on a 1.8 tflops.

like look at this, foliage literally turns into mush on base PS4 the second you move the camera or even in some cases not even without moving the camera. the foliage is probably rendered at some absurd rate of the 1/4 of screen resolution. AT 1080P!

the foliage in tihs case is near unrecognizable. it does not even look like foliage to begin with. it is how bad it is. this is what it took to RUN it on 1.8 tflops. just because it is doable does not mean it is impressive if the end result is this. you can practically do this on any lowend GPU at 1080p. yet no one deems it as impressive. why then? you can run last of us part 1 on a 4 tflops rx 470 at 1080p with upwards of 30 FPS. is it impressive then? I bet you wouldn't call it impressive it if it was on PC and you saw blurry garbage visuals at 1080p. yet somehow ps5 to ps4 gets people into mood to make such weird remarks. riles me up, really.

only reason game looks so blurry AT native 1080p on ps4 because they used a lot of tricks to make it work. they practically traded blurrines for better visual fidelity. but in the end blurriness itself causes a massive downgrade on perceived visual fidelity.

8UBeC55.png

it is just disingenuous at this point to share ps5 screenshots and claim these

game looks that good because now it chomps 10 tflops of power at runs the renderer at native 4K buffer.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Then everything falls apart when you slap a character into that. UE doesnt seem to give an f about character rendering
Its not just the UE tech demos.....noone seems to give a shit about Next Generation Character Rendering this Generation it seems.

..and Dont anyone HFW @ me. If those where truly Next Gen characters they wouldnt run on last gen hardware.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sorry, but I consider that the second video is the most impressive, for one simple reason, it was done with a phone camera. By one guy, in his spare time, for his youtube channel.
Some years ago, it would take dozens of devs and animators, months of work to do something similar.
I care only for the end result.

Second video remind me to much of a wlf enemy model in tlou2.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Straight Facts.

In fact lately the disparity between the two has gotten down right distracting.
Yeah i don't know, there is still a fuckton of low res textures in ue5 games some it's not like i'm super immersed and the characters ruin everything.

CGNoire

Yeah i don't know, there is still a fuckton of low res textures in ue5 games some it's not like i'm super immersed and the characters ruin everything.
Yes but I meant the area or demos that truly leaverage it. Although I should mention I just got a native 4k build of The Matrix demo running on my new rig and goddamm are there some super low resolution textures and even some blocky so calle "nanite" meshes. Kinda disapointed. :(

SlimySnake

Straight Facts.

In fact lately the disparity between the two has gotten down right distracting.
I am trying to remember great looking UE4 games in the first three years of the PS4. help me out here, but I think it took devs years before they took full advantage of the UE4.

- There was batman which was basically a UE3 title so doesnt count.
- Rise of Tomb Raider. Great looking game, but nothing compared to what we've seen from latest UE4 titles.
- Gears of War 4. Same thing, good looking but newer games deliver the potential of those early UE4 demos far better.

And thats about it. It took a while for devs to push out UE4 games and the engine was ready in 2014 i believe, just a year into the launch of the consoles, unlike UE5 which shipped 2 years after launch. Now compare these games to late gen games like Days Gone, Gears 5, FF7 and cross gen games like Callisto, Dead Island 2, and Star Wars Survivor and they are a massive leap over Tomb Raider and Gears 4.

Im confident that as devs finally start to use UE5 more and more, you will see some truly stunning looking character models. Of course, devs have to be good at it. A studio like Supermassive was doing this with UE4 on a PS4. id say wait for Tomb Raider, CD project's next game, supermassive's next game and you will see hellblade 2 quality character models at the very least.

F75Fk6wWoAA65_Z

Top Bottom