• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SimTourist

forspoken and ff 16 looked both amazing. wtf man
tumblr_mdk89vwy4A1qawrd4o4_250.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ronin looks better than VII Rebirth to me lol, plus seems it has dynamic lighting / time of day and weather, so some combinations aren't going to look as visually appealing as others. Rebirth lighting is all pre-baked which has almost zero run-time cost, which makes it all the more baffling to see low poly assets on top of low res textures, bad lighting bakes, and stiff vegetation. Tecmo & Team Ninja looked to have stopped chasing the highest-end graphics when they saw the rising cost of HD era, it's basically just SE and Capcom in Japan competing with the West. Maybe Cygames too when they finish Project Awakening.

53514430212_03baa9b17d_k.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240207121812.jpg

53514430217_bbc5864b8a_k.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240207201417.jpg

52356321095_5f5b945b26_h.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240207201951.jpg
I don't know what the hell is wrong with Japan. Their graphical output has been nothing short of abysmal for over a generation now.

I blame the popularity of Nintendo over there. Seems to have killed off any ambition.

Team Ninja released the best looking game of the gen with Ninja Gaiden. What happened to them?

KojimaPro and Capcom are the only ones releasing high quality graphical showcases. Capcom just barely.

Last edited:

SimTourist

More likely she'll think "when is this fucker gonna move out, he's 36 ffs"

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
This is a very unscientific comparison between Gotham knights, Suicide Squad and Batman Arkam Knight. AK obviously looks better than the rest, but Gotham knights looking better than Rocksteady's latest next gen only game is bizarre.

Lets hope people give Gotham knights another shot after this because it is not a bad looking game at all. Just fails the atmosphere test against AK. love the volumetric fog system.

I don't really follow this thread, but the comparison video you posted here made me wish for a current-gen remaster of Arkham Knight. It kinda feels like a missed opportunity from WB Games.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Japan. Their graphical output has been nothing short of abysmal for over a generation now.

I blame the popularity of Nintendo over there. Seems to have killed off any ambition.

Team Ninja released the best looking game of the gen with Ninja Gaiden. What happened to them?

KojimaPro and Capcom are the only ones releasing high quality graphical showcases. Capcom just barely.

Ghostwire Tokyo was impressive visually but had awful input lag and HiFi Rush was excellent looking so im gonna give Tango Gameworks some props

Listen to this clip from the Colin Moriarty podcast. I clipped out an important segment.

If this doesnt confirm our whole LAZY ASS DEV accusations, nothing will.

The framerate warriors have made it so devs are happy literally just upping framerate and calling it "next gen".

With the combination of framerate warriors, and lazy devs, working together... Us getting any TRUE next gen ambition is nothing but a false hope. These guys wont add a new texture or additional foilage, but the're happy bringing the game up to 200fps and ticking a box.

Disgusting.

That's really depressing. ..remember at the beginning of this gen the Ps5 was marketed as the ultimate developers machine? We all thought that meant ease of development= more of everything/denser worlds ...nobody was thinking less work for ps4 quality visuals. I hope the 16 gb RAM in the Pro is false but sadly it all fits with how this entire gen has played out. They see ease of development/better tech=lower cost/more profit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Japan:
  1. FF16
  2. Death Stranding 2
  3. RE4 (maybe?)
  4. RE Village
  5. Gran Turismo 7

Europe:
  1. Avatar
  2. Star Wars Outlaws
  3. Alan Wake 2
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Cyberpunk
  6. Forza
  7. Hellblade 2

U.S
  1. Starfield
  2. Demon Souls
  3. Ratchet
  4. Callisto Protocol
  5. Star Wars Survivor
Id say its pretty even so far. especially if you separate out the western devs into two groups.

I do think Square Enix dropped the ball with Forspoken and FF7 Rebirth, and RE engine is capable of doing way better visuals than what the Dragon's Dogma team is producing. Had those games even reached Starfield and Demon Souls caliber visuals, we wouldve been happy.

Im gonna wait till they reveal the Nintendo Switch 2 lineup this summer. I suspect A LOT of japanese devs have been held back by nintendo's shitty 0.190 tflops handheld disguised as a console. If switch 2 is 4 tflops and they target 1080p 30 fps instead of 4k or 60 fps, they could produce some fancy visuals.

Lethal01

Japan:
  1. FF16
  2. Death Stranding 2
  3. RE4 (maybe?)
  4. RE Village
  5. Gran Turismo 7

Europe:
  1. Avatar
  2. Star Wars Outlaws
  3. Alan Wake 2
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Cyberpunk
  6. Forza
  7. Hellblade 2

U.S
  1. Starfield
  2. Demon Souls
  3. Ratchet
  4. Callisto Protocol
  5. Star Wars Survivor
Id say its pretty even so far. especially if you separate out the western devs into two groups.

I do think Square Enix dropped the ball with Forspoken and FF7 Rebirth, and RE engine is capable of doing way better visuals than what the Dragon's Dogma team is producing. Had those games even reached Starfield and Demon Souls caliber visuals, we wouldve been happy.

Im gonna wait till they reveal the Nintendo Switch 2 lineup this summer. I suspect A LOT of japanese devs have been held back by nintendo's shitty 0.190 tflops handheld disguised as a console. If switch 2 is 4 tflops and they target 1080p 30 fps instead of 4k or 60 fps, they could produce some fancy visuals.

Western games are a great way to preview the graphics you can expect in the future from games that actually matter which seem to be all coming from Asia these days.

ckstine

Japan:
  1. FF16
  2. Death Stranding 2
  3. RE4 (maybe?)
  4. RE Village
  5. Gran Turismo 7

Europe:
  1. Avatar
  2. Star Wars Outlaws
  3. Alan Wake 2
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Cyberpunk
  6. Forza
  7. Hellblade 2

U.S
  1. Starfield
  2. Demon Souls
  3. Ratchet
  4. Callisto Protocol
  5. Star Wars Survivor

i wish SSM was as good as they used to be. I went back and played gow 3 + ascension, and we just don't get games like that anymore. We are stuck with like fuckin stupid soap opera of war. a few years ago there would be like 10 sony games as the top few.

Kikorin

I'm into "next gen" by some months now and after AW2, FF16 and The Last of Us 2 Remaster, all I can say is that the biggest jump of this gen is in assets, LOD, lights and maybe density of environments (but TLOUS2 already do some pretty comparable environments). I notice the biggest jump in photo mode, during gameplay you can say that AW2 overall looks a lot better than TLOU2, but is not a generational jump if you take into account things like animations and interaction that are 4 gen aehad in Last of Us.

Only thing that can give us true next gen at this point is huge budgets, so we have to wait for GTA VI and next Naughty Dog game that is not a remaster/remake.

Hunnybun

Japan:
  1. FF16
  2. Death Stranding 2
  3. RE4 (maybe?)
  4. RE Village
  5. Gran Turismo 7

Europe:
  1. Avatar
  2. Star Wars Outlaws
  3. Alan Wake 2
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Cyberpunk
  6. Forza
  7. Hellblade 2

U.S
  1. Starfield
  2. Demon Souls
  3. Ratchet
  4. Callisto Protocol
  5. Star Wars Survivor

I dunno, I think it's a pretty big gulf. In fact I'd say there are two big gaps, really: Sony first party -> third party western developers -> Japan third party.

Almost all the very best looking AAA games are Western, and almost all the worst looking ones are Japanese. And often the Western games are running at like twice the resolution. I was trying out different games on the PS5 last night and stuff like Ratchet, Burning Shores, and Demon's Souls look way better in their performance modes than FFXVI does in its fidelity mode.

proandrad

Listen to this clip from the Colin Moriarty podcast. I clipped out an important segment.

If this doesnt confirm our whole LAZY ASS DEV accusations, nothing will.

The framerate warriors have made it so devs are happy literally just upping framerate and calling it "next gen".

With the combination of framerate warriors, and lazy devs, working together... Us getting any TRUE next gen ambition is nothing but a false hope. These guys wont add a new texture or additional foilage, but the're happy bringing the game up to 200fps and ticking a box.

Disgusting.

That's a silly opinion. Devs would just increase resolution and call it a day. See how lazy of a take that is when you just flip it.

Last edited:

Luipadre

You know what? I believe him. DS2 already almost at that level and Kojipro is an amazingly talented studio

Played the demo of FF7 - it looks pretty much the same as FF7 remake ps4 with some slight upgrades imo.

Which do people think has better graphics: LOU part 1 remake or LOU 2 ps5 remaster?

SlimySnake

Played the demo of FF7 - it looks pretty much the same as FF7 remake ps4 with some slight upgrades imo.

Which do people think has better graphics: LOU part 1 remake or LOU 2 ps5 remaster?
Tlou2 looks vastly better. They have this very dated lighting in the remake and it makes every scene look last Gen in comparison.

benzy

I got you rofif rofif

I see a lot of hate on Forspoken but that game actually does some things a lot better than XVI while XVI does other things a lot better. XVI generally has much better baked indirect lighting in the linear areas, great environment shadows, better volume clouds, and much better art direction. Forspoken has better cloth physics, ambient occlusion, creature rendering with fur and character rendering with strand-based hair, PBR materials and way denser geometry in the open regions, magic and particle effects actually rendered with polygons while XVI uses a single 2D billboard that rotates with the camera for its effects. Forspoken also has 60+ enemies on screen at once in the open world. What really hurts Forspoken is a huge lack of focused art direction for the open environments and at launch the broken GI. I saw some 2d artwork for the main game environments which looked fantastic but they literally recreated none of it for the game lmao. The DLC actually has linear segments with a much stronger art direction.

XVI

Forspoken

XVI
FINAL_FANTASY_XVI_20230716102729.jpg

Forspoken
Forspoken_20230716093536.jpg

XVI
FINAL_FANTASY_XVI_20230717073301.jpg

Forspoken
Forspoken_20230717082355.jpg

XVI
final_fantasy_xvi_finalfantasyxvi_202309iesc.jpg

Forspoken
Forspoken_20230310081156_rocks.jpg

XVI
FINAL_FANTASY_XVI_20230630230658.jpg

Forspoken
Forspoken_20240210134627.jpg

If Forspoken looks like a ps2 game then VII Rebirth looks like an n64 game.

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240210152913.jpg

Forspoken_20240113220512.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REBIRTH_DEMO_20240207201951.jpg

Forspoken_20240210133800.jpg

Bojji

Yep, Forspoken has really nice textures and materials but bad GI and average AO (after patch, terrible before).

Out of 3 games FFXVI is overall the best looking and Forspoken is well ahead of Rebirth.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Finally playing Star Wars again, and when it looks ugly, it looks really ugly, but as soon as you leave the open world and go to those star wars bases, the asset quality, reflections and lighting truly shines.

The gifs honestly dont capture how good the game looks.

TRp7TFp.gif

E3VEuve.gif
how is the actual game? good combat? story? atmosphere?

Toots

Gold Member
Combat feels good and fun, the new stances are nice, the story is kind of dumb and very predictable. Atmosphere is cool, as SlimySnake SlimySnake said it really shows its strenght with interiors and the open world can be somewhat lacking… still theres a few great vistas.
Lastely I found cal pretty annoying with his constant insecurities but it did not prevent me to have fun with the game.

shamoomoo

Finally playing Star Wars again, and when it looks ugly, it looks really ugly, but as soon as you leave the open world and go to those star wars bases, the asset quality, reflections and lighting truly shines.

The gifs honestly dont capture how good the game looks.

TRp7TFp.gif

E3VEuve.gif
The bottom image reminds me of that cancelled Star wars game, something 1313.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Helldivers 2 doesn't look super hot for a nextgen game but it has lowkey some really great damage system on enemies and a lot of destruction, there is even ground damage from granades and shit.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Helldivers 2 doesn't look super hot for a nextgen game but it has lowkey some really great damage system on enemies and almost total destruction of the scenario, there is even ground damage from granades and shit.
because its not a nextgen game

a game cannot be nextgen if it runs stable at playable framerates at anything above medium preset on something ancient like gtx 1060

as long as a game is more than playable for console standards (1080p low med 30+ fps) on such old GPUs, a game cannot be considered nextgen. it would still be crossgen

only reason these games do not come out on ps4 is because devs are tired of optimizing CPU bound code to hit 30 fps on 1.6 ghz jaguar core. and maybe they don't want to code around HDD limitations anymore. aside from those limitations, with enough effort, it can easily make to the PS4.

so if you look at from cpu ssd perspective, then a normal specced SSD+gtx 1060 rig was next-nextgen hardware for 7 years. but it is not

gtx 1060 is 8 years old at this point. a 8 year old GPU that was barely considered midrange back in 2016.

equivalent of this would be a 2010 GPU running a 2018 game like 1060 runs helldivers 2

look at how 2010 gpu gtx 460 runs the 2018 game rdr 2

this is how you know/understand if a game is pushing the hardware or not. compare this to how 1060 runs helldiver 2, you will get my point

in that aspect, only real nextgen game we have right now that will discard antique hardware in favor new features (mesh shaders) is alan wake 2;

gtx 1060 runs alan wake 2 like how gtx 460 runs rdr 2. which checks out

Last edited:

Luipadre

Helldivers 2 doesn't look super hot for a nextgen game but it has lowkey some really great damage system on enemies and almost total destruction of the scenario, there is even ground damage from granades and shit.

I think the overall visual presentation is really well done in helldivers. The destruction, explosion effects, volumetric lighting and fog. I think it looks great

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think the overall visual presentation is really well done in helldivers. The destruction, explosion effects, volumetric lighting and fog. I think it looks great
Some planets looks pretty meh, the fog and explosions can't substitute good textures.

SlimySnake

Fantastic. Combat is engaging, fun and has depth. Story is ok, but only because the levels can go on for an hour or two before any story beats. I wish it was more frequent but after playing Alan wake 2, this was a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, they nailed the feeling of being in a real war and the audio is even better than the graphic.

The game punch way above his raw graphic.

Everyone should play this game, this is low key a serious contender to goty.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

because its not a nextgen game

a game cannot be nextgen if it runs stable at playable framerates at anything above medium preset on something ancient like gtx 1060

this is how you know/understand if a game is pushing the hardware or not. compare this to how 1060 runs helldiver 2, you will get my point

in that aspect, only real nextgen game we have right now that will discard antique hardware in favor new features (mesh shaders) is alan wake 2;
Add Avatar to that list. Starfield too.

I have a similar but simpler way to determine whether or not a game is next gen on consoles. If its native 4k 30 fps then no. Native 4k games by definition can run on steam deck and PS4 era hardware. Yes, the ssd and CPU requirements might be higher but in terms of graphics fidelity, if your game is running at native 4k 30 fps, you can piss off because it will easily run on GTX 1060s, Steam Decks and last gen consoles. Ratchet was running on a steam deck on medium settings at 60 fps. i can appreciate the ssd tech but come on, you do better than steam deck.

1440p 30 fps, whether or not its internal resolution or without upscaling tells me that the rendering budget went into something other than pixels. Some 1440p internal resolution games like Star Wars Survivor might not look it, but at least the devs used the full suite of RT features and it pays off in several areas. Same goes for Avatar. With Starfield targeting 1440p on the series X, you can immediately tell that the asset quality and lighting is a cut above cross gen games running at native 4k.

Id say Cyberpunk, Starfield, Star Wars Survivor, Alan Wake 2, Flight Simulator, callisto and Avatar are all true next gen games. The rest are all cross gen games posing as next gen titles. Some look excellent like Demon Souls, Ratchet, Spiderman 2, Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, and Horizon Forbidden, but they couldve done so much more had they dropped down to 1440p.

I have a similar but simpler way to determine whether or not a game is next gen on consoles. If its native 4k 30 fps then no. Native 4k games by definition can run on steam deck and PS4 era hardware. Yes, the ssd and CPU requirements might be higher but in terms of graphics fidelity, if your game is running at native 4k 30 fps, you can piss off because it will easily run on GTX 1060s, Steam Decks and last gen consoles. Ratchet was running on a steam deck on medium settings at 60 fps. i can appreciate the ssd tech but come on, you do better than steam deck.

1440p 30 fps, whether or not its internal resolution or without upscaling tells me that the rendering budget went into something other than pixels. Some 1440p internal resolution games like Star Wars Survivor might not look it, but at least the devs used the full suite of RT features and it pays off in several areas. Same goes for Avatar. With Starfield targeting 1440p on the series X, you can immediately tell that the asset quality and lighting is a cut above cross gen games running at native 4k.

Id say Cyberpunk, Starfield, Star Wars Survivor, Alan Wake 2, Flight Simulator, callisto and Avatar are all true next gen games. The rest are all cross gen games posing as next gen titles. Some look excellent like Demon Souls, Ratchet, Spiderman 2, Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, and Horizon Forbidden, but they couldve done so much more had they dropped down to 1440p.
That’s uhhh. That’s actually cross gen. Runs on an Xbox one

SlimySnake

That’s uhhh. That’s actually cross gen. Runs on an Xbox one
and looks nothing like the series x version. Callisto is one cross gen game that is like downported on last gen console instead of upported like HFW and RE4. looks absolutely atrocious. Like 90% of the texture detail is missing. Sometimes it fails to load period. Geometry is heavily simplified. game barely runs at 720p and looks to being upscaled. DF did a comparison and it was hilarious how the game basically doesnt have any detail in any of the assets. Pipes are just outlines of pipes. No geometry or detail in anything.

iTIsx1E.jpg

hell, the 60 fps mode which turns off RT effects and enhanced lighting completely changes the look of the game. It goes from looking next gen to cross gen. To me their biggest fuck up was adding this 60 fps mode which completely undersold the game's graphics. A lot of PS5 users have performance mode defaulted in their system settings so they probably didnt even see the 30 fps mode which looks a generation ahead in terms of lighting and even the asset quality thanks to the RT reflections changing the look every single metallic object in the game which make up like 90% of the game's levels.

Last edited:
and looks nothing like the series x version. Callisto is one cross gen game that is like downported on last gen console instead of upported like HFW and RE4. looks absolutely atrocious. Like 90% of the texture detail is missing. Sometimes it fails to load period. Geometry is heavily simplified. game barely runs at 720p and looks to being upscaled. DF did a comparison and it was hilarious how the game basically doesnt have any detail in any of the assets. Pipes are just outlines of pipes. No geometry or detail in anything.

iTIsx1E.jpg

hell, the 60 fps mode which turns off RT effects and enhanced lighting completely changes the look of the game. It goes from looking next gen to cross gen. To me their biggest fuck up was adding this 60 fps mode which completely undersold the game's graphics. A lot of PS5 users have performance mode defaulted in their system settings so they probably didnt even see the 30 fps mode which looks a generation ahead in terms of lighting and even the asset quality thanks to the RT reflections changing the look every single metallic object in the game which make up like 90% of the game's levels.
Rare arkhamguy/slimysnake disagreement. While I do appreciate what you’re saying, to me any cross gen game is automatically out. So Callisto and cyberpunk go bye bye.

And I also contest that native 4k is our issue. I don’t think it’s any more of an issue than native 720p for the PS3 or native 1080p for the PS4 was. I think 60fps is the enemy of graphical advances.

And your ranking of games to me is something I’d challenge. I don’t think demon souls could ever come below some of the ones you named as true next gen games but that’s just me. I actually just finished another playthrough of it and it still blows me away. It’s what I expect at the bare minimum for PS5 only games

Last edited:

eNT1TY

My desires and my expectations are often quite different when it comes to graphics. My exceptions to be quite frank are that visuals hold up to contemporary standards of competing products. The bar isn't that high it is merely don't look like fucking FF7 Rebirth.

yamaci17

iTIsx1E.jpg

that is weird. i wonder what is the limitation there. game uses like 3.5 gb vram at 1080p medium while retaining decent image quality

i'd say callisto at peak (ray tracing and higher res) definitely pushes the upper limit of crossgen. but I can't quite say nextgen for it

I'd agree with Flight Simulator

cyberpunk depends if you push ray tracing. if you don't, it is really lastgen imo. but phantom liberty without ray tracing can be considered nextgen because it has much better asset quality than base game.

avatar fits the gtx 1060 checklist. 1080p low and below 30 fps most of the time. requires 720p internal resolution to hit above 30 FPS

I will stick with the gtx 1060 imo, far more reliable. :D That GPU is a champion. Still rocks in 2024. FSR, althought not quite as good as DLSS, definitely helped a lot of people endure some more. People will probably mass jump to something like 12 GB 5060. 3060 and 4060 have been lackluster products imo

Last edited:

What about A Plague Tale Requiem?

Top Bottom