• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

kevboard

No there is only one issue which is low base resolutions. Framerate has nothing to do with IQ. It does NOT introduce artifacts, ghosting, shimmering or aliasing. you are talking nonsense.

If you are one of those people who think UE5 isnt a massive leap then you do you. i will enjoy hellblade 2, wukong and now silent hill 2 which are generational leaps over last gen games even on consoles at 30 fps.

I find it hilarious that you are comparing jedi survivor to battlefront 2 instead of jedi fallen order. the difference is massive.

YTXY26J.gif

7Aar2N6.gif

zDOiJYk.gif

5WrMEzY.gif

why should I compare 2 games running on the same shitty engine?

UE4 (and now UE5) is the issue here. and sadly other engines like Northlight go down the same route with unstable effects that need constant denoising through TAA.

but I love jow your last gif therr shows Fallen Order having way better looking water reactions lol

oh I forgot to add an image of Battlefront 2 as a comparison:

tjoyohjp.png

this game ran at dynamic 4k at 60fps with 40 player battles, vehicles, explosions etc... on a last gen console.
the One X version typically ran at around 1800p. and it does use checkerboard rendering on all systems, but you can barely even tell it's not native.

what we should expect from current gen games is the same resolution and framerate, with improved details and effects.
what we instead get 90% of the time is improved details and effects, at half the framerate, and lower resolutions

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
and once again wasting GPU resources on nonsense like Lumen GI.
this game has almost entirely static lighting. why the actual fuck is the GI not baked? or maybe voxel based GI? the answer to that question is: slapping Lumin onto your game is easier.
with a proper engine, and proper performance oriented GI, this game could probably run at 1440p 60fps or even higher, while barely looking any different
Watch the video. The performance mode uses a lower quality GI and you can immediately tell the difference. What do you think is going to happen when the turn it off altogether? and yes, they can add point lights to properly illuminate these areas but we literally just saw how expensive they can be in the megalights video i posted. every light source that you bake in has its own cost so i wouldnt be so sure about it hitting 1440p 60 fps.

ACgnLRU.jpeg

You want devs to go through 20-50 hour games placing baked lights everywhere? And there is no guarantee that they will look accurate either. there is a reason why last gen games look like shit in interiors.

here is a game that runs at 1440p 60 fps using baked lighting.
Q321n23.gif

2Sq89bE.gif

Lumen not only brings in dynamic lighting, it brings in proper light bounce and reflections that apply not just on puddles but also all materials.

CGNoire

oh there are trade offs, its just not the shadows. Epic specifically said that the shadows will get better.

that said, someone in the main thread posted a tweet of some dev pointing out some ghosting artifacts as a result of mega lights being turned on.
Uggghhh..... I Hate ghosting.

CGNoire

this game has almost entirely static lighting. why the actual fuck is the GI not baked? or maybe voxel based GI? the answer to that question is: slapping Lumen onto your game is easier.
with a proper engine, and proper performance oriented GI, this game could probably run at 1440p 60fps or even higher, while barely looking any different.

this is exactly what I'm talking about. wasting GPU render time on entirely nonsensical bullshit, resulting in the choice between low framerate or low resolution. when the game could look the same while running at high res and high fps at the same time
Because realtime GI isnt mostly about the enviroments. It mostly benefits dynamic objects moving through them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
oh I forgot to add an image of Battlefront 2 as a comparison:

tjoyohjp.png

this game ran at dynamic 4k at 60fps with 40 player battles, vehicles, explosions etc... on a last gen console.
the One X version typically ran at around 1800p. and it does use checkerboard rendering on all systems, but you can barely even tell it's not native.

what we should expect from current gen games is the same resolution and framerate, with improved details and effects.
what we instead get 90% of the time is improved details and effects, at half the framerate, and lower resolutions
So you are comparing a single player game with a multiplayer game. built on two different engines. by two different developers. using a mid gen console which was literally 4-6x more powerful than the actual last gen console which ran the game at sub 900p resolution at way worse image quality.

Why not compare it to BF2042? same developer. same engine. 128 player battles. 10x bigger worlds. better destruction. same or higher resolutions. Thats what you wanted right? well you got it.

Lets look at what respawn did to improve from Jedi Fallen order.
1) Better quality assets
2) Larger environments
3) RTGI
4) RT Reflections
5) 1440p internal boosted to 4k using FSR2. base ps4 was just 1080p, base x1 was 900p and lower.
6) And yes even 60 fps with RT turned off. Just like you want it.

Here is me running Battlefront 2 on my PC maxed out at native 4k last year when someone else was saying how it looks so much better than modern games. it might look great in stills but it looks fairly dated now with last gen lighting and asset quality.

This is star wars jedi survivor. if you think this looks worse than tlou part 1 with its baked lighting and battlefront 2 then i cant help you.

K1jdC2e.gif

uzfMuRV.gif

TRp7TFp.gif

throw up team america GIF

well there are 2 issues here. low framerates and low base resolutions.

both don't work well with modern engines.
both is kinda the fault of the developers most of the time as well as the engine's.

and we shouldn't really have either low resolutions nor low framerates, but dogshit engines like UE5 and developers unwilling to modify UE5 to what their game needs (which was originally the idea behind UE4/5 but isn't being done), result in games that look barely any better than last gen games, while running at either lower resolutions than last gen or at the same resolutions and 30fps.

compare Jedi Survivor on current gen to Battlefront 2 on Xbox One X.

Battlefront 2 has excellent image quality, at 60fps, great lighting, great looking materials... it has all. and has all of it while massive 40 player battles are happening

now Jedi Survivor, which looks like someone vomited at your screen and wiped it off with a dirty hankerchief.
it completely breaks down in motion, even if you use TAA on PC without upsampling. and on console you have the choice between unstable 30fps with constant RT fizzle and 60fps with omnipresent edge shimmering.

so yeah. It's a terrible situation either way.
and the sad thing is that other engines started to copy Unreal Engine 😑
how did you survive the previous 15 years of console gaming - I don’t get the push for super high image quality and 60fps in console games at all. I wish it was something developers weren’t even thinking about to be honest so they just maximized what they could do with 30 and like 1440

Last edited:
this game has almost entirely static lighting. why the actual fuck is the GI not baked? or maybe voxel based GI? the answer to that question is: slapping Lumen onto your game is easier.
with a proper engine, and proper performance oriented GI, this game could probably run at 1440p 60fps or even higher, while barely looking any different.

this is exactly what I'm talking about. wasting GPU render time on entirely nonsensical bullshit, resulting in the choice between low framerate or low resolution. when the game could look the same while running at high res and high fps at the same time
I think that whatever tech gives the desired results should be used.TLOU 2 has no RTGI and looks better than 99% of games ever released…

Last edited:
Top Bottom