• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

RaduN

Mh wilds, It must be a cutscene, a ps5 would catch fire trying to simulate appropriate melty cheese physics in real time :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
So are the cutscenes in this game prerendered? Strange of Capcom to do that now, especially when they always had among the best realtime cutscenes regardless of gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So are the cutscenes in this game prerendered? Strange of Capcom to do that now, especially when they always had among the best realtime cutscenes regardless of gen.
I have no idea, but that melty simulation look so far beyond anything we ever had in gaming that i would be surprised if it was in real time.

Most cutscenes are probably in real time.

Last edited:

Audiophile

they are not massive leaps but they are powerful enough for 1440p 30 fps games. I dont know why they had to go native 4k this gen. thats a 4x leap in resolution when last gen they took a 2x going from 720p to 1080p. Xbox settled for 900p so a 1.5x leap.

But lets face it, only cross gen games and sony developers did that. Ghosts might also be native 4k so yes, maybe thats the reason that particular game doesnt have the next gen leap we were expecting from sony devs. That said, most games in the last 2 years have targeted 1440p and still havent delivered anything close to matrix awakens or that OG PS5 demo. Wukong, Hellblade 2, and to a lesser extent some other UE5 games but the vast majority of games target 1440p giving us a 1.75x res boost, but dont seem to be able to get us that next gen leap like UE5 games and demos do.

There is also a problem with simply reusing assets. Say what you will about starfield but they did not reuse any shaders. every material, every asset, every object just looked new and shiny. But AC shadows, ghost of tsushima, ff7 rebirth, dragons dogma 2, spiderman 2, are all using last gen materials and assets. I dont get that part. whats the point in using RTgi when your materials are still last gen? i LOVE the draw distance in spiderman 2 and the lighting in many different lighting conditions, but the assets are such a minor upgrade that it feels lazy for a game 5 year in development with a $385 million budget.

ghosts feels like DLC because it looks very similar despite the visual upgrades that will become apparent closer to launch when we see more footage. i honestly dont care who is responsible. the fact of the matter is that even first party devs are reusing assets and refusing to use the tech cerny put in there for them.

This'll hopefully be one good thing going into the PS6 gen. Most TVs will still be 4K and most games will probably be targeting ~1440p with even better ML upscaling techniques and more plentiful/capable ML hardware taking us to 4K for a relatively small frame time cost vs the >2x of native 4K.

Even with 8K modes being available as a nice little bonus, 4K will be the standard; and the main display resolution target for this go around won't be increasing for the first time.

The extra capabilities can be almost entirely focused on prettier pixels (and hopefully more simulation/world function too).

Last edited:

SimTourist

Even if the PS7 in theory could push graphics that are close to real life, unless AI gets to a level where it can actually make the game in its entirety, it would take 20 years and 1000 developers to make a world look like that.
You're missing the point, you can have PS2/3 level assets underneath and have AI draw a photoreal image on top, no need for lots of developers and time. It can't be done in real time for now but the result is better than anything you can do with traditional rendering.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You're missing the point, you can have PS2/3 level assets underneath and have AI draw a photoreal image on top, no need for lots of developers and time. It can't be done in real time for now but the result is better than anything you can do with traditional rendering.
yeah, AI will change the way game engines and even gaming hardware is designed. We dont know yet just how it will happen, but it will be a paradigm shift.

I am curious to see what nvidia is cooking up for the 5000 series. if they stick with the traditional increasing CUs model then we are likely a decade away from AI taking over traditional rendering techniques. But if they somehow manage to leverage AI to help offload some rendering load from the shader cores than we might be in for some really interesting results and bigger leaps than previously thought possible.

SlimySnake

Playing Star Wars Jedi Survivor again to check out the new performance patch. Things are slightly better i suppose. Game is still a looker, but Star wars is clearly better. Way better textures, lighting and rt effects.

One thing I will say about Suvivor is just how amazing the lighting can look at times. I dont think it has to do with RTGI either. I think they just improved their base lighting system and now everything just looks right. There are times when Im under some lights where the materials on the protagonist just pop as if there is hero lighting on it. Then you go into a cave or a dark room, and it still looks great. Not overly bright. not too dark. It looks beautiful despite not having any fancy lighting or materials to gawk at. Maybe in those areas the RTGI is is helping out. I dont know. All i know is that going from Horizon FW and Spiderman 2 both of which can look amazing at times and exceedingly last gen in interiors, both Outlaws and Survivor look far more consistent and simply beautiful.

That's not to say they dont have any flaws. Survivor looks a bit too clean and could use some volumetric effects a la Calisto and Outlaws. The textures in Jedi's open world levels dont look too hot. But the lighting just makes it such a pleasant game to look at all times. Outlaws could have better rocks and character models. HFW has the best looking NPCs ive ever seen and Spiderman 2 has the best damn draw distance in any open world game yet. I am shocked at how much detail is visible when you are flying and how high quality those distant buildings can look.

SlimySnake

This is crazy tbh. I never realized just how blurry TLOU2 was in the 1440p mode.

The fact that this kind of stuff is showing up on youtube is just crazy. 1440p in other games doesnt look this blurry. But 4k and i guess 4k PSSR quality reconstruction seems to have brought back that texture detail.

This is crazy tbh. I never realized just how blurry TLOU2 was in the 1440p mode.

The fact that this kind of stuff is showing up on youtube is just crazy. 1440p in other games doesnt look this blurry. But 4k and i guess 4k PSSR quality reconstruction seems to have brought back that texture detail.

Not impressed.

“Oooh look this almost 5 year old PS4 game is slightly crisper when you literally zoom in 3x! $700 please :)

Lame

yeah, AI will change the way game engines and even gaming hardware is designed. We dont know yet just how it will happen, but it will be a paradigm shift.

I am curious to see what nvidia is cooking up for the 5000 series. if they stick with the traditional increasing CUs model then we are likely a decade away from AI taking over traditional rendering techniques. But if they somehow manage to leverage AI to help offload some rendering load from the shader cores than we might be in for some really interesting results and bigger leaps than previously thought possible.
I always thought the next step for DLSS would be essentially using an AI to make up the rest of the photoreal detail that wasn't there to begin with. It could even allow for a brand new lineup of remasters.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I've always noticed, and it's because ND never used any reconstruction techniques in their games. Similar situation to FF7 Rebirth.

Not impressed.

“Oooh look this almost 5 year old PS4 game is slightly crisper when you literally zoom in 3x! $700 please :)

Lame

Lol it's just a data point, and there's nothing slight about going from 1440p to 4k output on a large 4k display.

SlimySnake

Massive did well. What a beautiful game.

r6hoOj6.gif

Sucks that they botched the gameplay and story. We will never get to see Outlaws 2 with next gen tech.

RaduN

I always thought the next step for DLSS would be essentially using an AI to make up the rest of the photoreal detail that wasn't there to begin with. It could even allow for a brand new lineup of remasters.

Once AI matures enough, it will be nothing short of a revolution. Every single game ever made could be visually enhanced, old 2D games, anything. I can only imagine Snes Donkey Kong Country or original SF2. I mean, we are "that" close.

The truth is very simple and I think anyone that looked at these consoles specs already knew it from the beginning. These consoles are not massive leaps, it's a miracle as is that Epic is getting infinite light sources to work on 10.3 TFLOPS, because it's legitimately not that big of a leap. Nintendo of all manufacturers will leapfrog this by almost a factor of 2x legitimately, which is literally unseen in this industry to date. You've said it yourself many times, target 4k, double the framerate and that's literally it... Going 4k takes four times more power, and doubling the frames brings that up to five times. With 5.5 times TFLOPs, what the hell were we expecting to begin with?
We don’t NEED to be going native 4k to begin with, 1440p upscaled to 4K is fine just like TLOU2. 30 fps is fine for cinematic type games most of the time but 60 fps is better sometimes. Base model PS4 was 1.84 TFLOPS in a different architecture, meaning PS5s ~10TFLOPS equals ~15TFLOPS? in PS4 architecture. The problem is lack upscaling tech usage and old engines. The Matrix Awakens and Hellblade 2 are PLAYABLE on current gen hardware meaning games can look CGI like today. The problem is that devs are using old ass engines rooted in old rendering methods. Lack of geometry and GI in PS4 era games is the number one issue. Today infinite geometry and RTGI is NEEDED for that next gen leap. With upscaling technology, enough resources should be free to allow that leap. If TLOU 2 can be done on PS4 with 1.84 TFLOPS then something way better looking can be done on PS5 with 10TFLOPS. Hellblade 2 the current graphics benchmark, runs on a Series S, keep that in mind.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Someone did a test on the new UE5 Megalights feature.

Added a bunch of lights to their sample environment. The traditional lights had a 3.8 ms frametime cost. Turning on megalights brought that down to just 1.2 ms. That might not seem like a lot in a 33 ms buffer, but its free performance nonetheless that will allow devs to pack in each area with a lot more lights without worrying too much about tanking performance.

Lighting is way better with mega lights turned on as well. And shadows are much softer and more realistic. So win win. Amazing innovation by Epic once again.

pasterpl

Its funny how this post was made nearly 2.5 years ago and so many things from this list are still true. the only thing thats changed is that sony studios are no longer the kings of graphics and other third parties have taken over.

there are still remasters and remakes being announced. open world games still follow the same gta3 mission structure. no destruction or physics. zelda totk still has the best physics. aaa games are taking forever to make and are reusing assets. i honestly dont understand how spiderman 2 and ghosts 2 can look so similar after 5 years of dev time. especially since spiderman 2 is reusing the same city and ghosts is reusing the same generic japanese wilderness.

i am playing astro bot right now. its such a joyful game. i am feeling things i didnt know i could feel. a huge jump from the disastrous star wars outlaws which literally broke me. but despite the fancy physics and the feels, i cant help but feel that its the same exact mario game ive been playing since the 90s. i liked mario 3d worlds and was meh on mario odyssey, but honestly, i think even nintendo hasnt innovated in the platfomer genre since mario 64.

• Every AAA game looks the same.
  • AAA Games take 5-7 years to make.
  • Everything is a fucking secret.
  • Gaming culture is an embarrassment.
  • There hasn't been any new game mechanics/formulas introduced in AAA gaming since the PS360 era.
  • The PS360 era was the last time game design evolved. Its been the exact same since then with better graphics.
  • Why are 99% of Open World games still following the basic GTA 3 mission structure and design formula?
  • What happened to destructible environments and physics?
  • Why the FUCK does BOTW have some of the best physics in gaming? On that weak ass console?
  • Speaking of graphics, only a few studios actually make great looking games now. 80% of them are under Sony control.
  • Why does every Japanese character-action game look like some anime ass shit with putrid visuals?
  • Why does FROM have amazing art design and shit ass tech? Why can only select few companies achieve both?
  • Why is nothing as cool as the last 40 minutes of Top Gun: Maverick
  • Why do so many indie games use the same artstyle?
  • Why are there so many remakes?
  • Why are there so many remasters?
  • What the fuck is the difference between the two anyhow? Who really cares? DO you actually care?
I remember when this was a big thing(Destructible environments), same with being able to shoot off a knee, arm etc in Soldier Of Fortune and cars destructions like in Burnout games. Now it seems everyone focuses on graphics if they have got a budget and we are ending up with most games looking almost same, same with gameplay design. This generation is driven by remakes, remasters etc. because developers and publishers are afraid that 300M-400M USD project will fail, that’s why we are not seeing to many new ideas, innovation - everyone is playing it safe.

We don’t NEED to be going native 4k to begin with, 1440p upscaled to 4K is fine just like TLOU2. 30 fps is fine for cinematic type games most of the time but 60 fps is better sometimes. Base model PS4 was 1.84 TFLOPS in a different architecture, meaning PS5s ~10TFLOPS equals ~15TFLOPS? in PS4 architecture. The problem is lack upscaling tech usage and old engines. The Matrix Awakens and Hellblade 2 are PLAYABLE on current gen hardware meaning games can look CGI like today. The problem is that devs are using old ass engines rooted in old rendering methods. Lack of geometry and GI in PS4 era games is the number one issue. Today infinite geometry and RTGI is NEEDED for that next gen leap. With upscaling technology, enough resources should be free to allow that leap. If TLOU 2 can be done on PS4 with 1.84 TFLOPS then something way better looking can be done on PS5 with 10TFLOPS. Hellblade 2 the current graphics benchmark, runs on a Series S, keep that in mind.
It's telling how every factor has simply came crashing down regarding expectations this gen.
- The lack of a significant generational leap in order for devs to be able to bruteforce a higher res, double framerate and then upgrade visuals.
- The lack of a decent upscaler and RT intersection performance in order to allow for both an image with just as much pixels as last gen to hold up against 4K scrutiny and bruteforce traditional approaches to RT.
- The absolute lack of commitment from devs to update their engines and technology.

What an unfortunate series of impediments.

Top Bottom