• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

mrMUR_96

I see this sentiment all the time on this board. There are plenty of Unreal Engine games that look completely different from each other. It's just that the engine is capable of delivering incredibly high quality assets, materials and close to photorealistic lighting so people just assume games look samey.

BgMuo6n.gif
URG9o4x.gif

zfU5lWl.gif
F1m9ADO.gif

TS7P6vN.gif
STjfZ9q.gif

DOU0a6J.gif
That Black Myth gif looks amazing, really want to get around to playing it, but the performance/iq is apparently still ass on PS5, so I hope there's a patch at some point. Even just a properly capped 30fps would be fine.

I see this sentiment all the time on this board. There are plenty of Unreal Engine games that look completely different from each other. It's just that the engine is capable of delivering incredibly high quality assets, materials and close to photorealistic lighting so people just assume games look samey.

BgMuo6n.gif
URG9o4x.gif

zfU5lWl.gif
F1m9ADO.gif

TS7P6vN.gif
STjfZ9q.gif

DOU0a6J.gif
Man I often wonder how the fuck Callisto looked that good. I've never seen character models that geometrically dense in any videogame.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That Black Myth gif looks amazing, really want to get around to playing it, but the performance/iq is apparently still ass on PS5, so I hope there's a patch at some point. Even just a properly capped 30fps would be fine.
Yep. I think Black Myth surprised me so much because it's much more than just a UE5 megascans copy pasta. They do such a great job of showcasing different biomes each with its own different lighting and art design. And they really push the cinematography in several scenes like they are a Sony first party studio or something.

Honestly, Callisto Hellblade 2 and Wukong are the first time this gen ive seen a third party studio compete with Sony when it comes to cutscenes, cinematography and sheer fidelity. everything from animations to character models and graphics are just top notch. Even massive which does everything right cant nail down the animations and character models. If anything, wukong and callisto's animations dont get enough love. Last gen, only rocksteady, kojipro and Quantic Dream came close.

Kikorin

BgMuo6n.gif
URG9o4x.gif

zfU5lWl.gif
F1m9ADO.gif

TS7P6vN.gif
STjfZ9q.gif

DOU0a6J.gif

I think there's some "bias" in games made with the same engine that give a samey feeling. For some reason I have this feeling even watching the gif posted to show how different games made with UE 5 can be. Maybe is something related to lights, density, materials or I don't know, but I definitely understand what people means saying that.

I think there's some "bias" in games made with the same engine that give a samey feeling. For some reason I have this feeling even watching the gif posted to show how different games made with UE 5 can be. Maybe is something related to lights, density, materials or I don't know, but I definitely understand what people means saying that.
UE5 is simply too good at rendering materials that behave realistically to the properties of light. This is why people once said in the film industry that all animated CG movies looked like Pixar's, once everything meets a certain level of fidelity the realistic lightning bleeds into all kinds of artstyles.

Last edited:

Msamy

Watching death stranding 2 recent disappointed tgs small clips, pretty sure it uses better version of decima than HFW, just hoped that hzd remaster use this version but they disappointed me, in other hand kojima did pretty good job but I need to see gameplay
YCJuun8.jpeg
P6DdzzO.jpeg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont think an engine should be punished for using proper PBR materials lol

Watching death stranding 2 recent disappointed tgs small clips, pretty sure it uses better version of decima than HFW, just hoped that hzd remaster use this version but they disappointed me, in other hand kojima did pretty good job but I need to see gameplay
YCJuun8.jpeg
P6DdzzO.jpeg
awful way to showcase the game. i am not feeling it at all.

Also, after the recent Monolith Soft news on the red N side... Considering they're still early in R&D and literally creating a team solely for tech, I have a feeling those guys will deliver an Uncharted 4 moment soon enough, the stars are aligning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom