• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

Yt been recommnding me TLOU2 videos today... man I am reminded how incredible this game looks, controls and how good the animations are.

Not to even mention incredible cutscenes and facial animation with detail comparable to no other game.
I now think this looks better than part 1

And this was done on a weak-ass 1.8TF console with Jaguar CPU. Now Imagine ND creating a game from scratch on the PS5 exclusively, people will be blown by it. I hope this gen we get real time graphics akin to the cutscenes in TLOU2 or am I asking for too much and being unrealistic?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And this was done on a weak-ass 1.8TF console with Jaguar CPU. Now Imagine ND creating a game from scratch on the PS5 exclusively, people will be blown by it. I hope this gen we get real time graphics akin to the cutscenes in TLOU2 or am I asking for too much and being unrealistic?
you are correct but everyone is crying "booo hooo where is my pro console so we can chase pc".... I am so tired of this, get a fucking pc people

Kenpachii

PC will always have good value no matter what.

New games however, they are a fucking shit show on PC in the last year or so would 100% buy a console for that if i was a budget.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dont let ChiefDada see this post. He thinks TLOU Part 1 is that next gen ND masterpiece lol

Yt been recommnding me TLOU2 videos today... man I am reminded how incredible this game looks, controls and how good the animations are.

Not to even mention incredible cutscenes and facial animation with detail comparable to no other game.
I now think this looks better than part 1

Now we just need a native PS5 version of this game to fix the texture loading issues (some textures still take minutes to load even on PS5).

not everything has to be simultaneously streamed and displayed.
Devs can arrange and prioritise assets and characters on the 'screen' in a way that does not cause any performance issues.

Last gen we had such technical marvels as The Order 1886, a 'full game' with incredible graphics and clever tricks to play around with its resources.

with the help of Nanite and Lumen in UE5 and similarly powerful proprietary solutions in first-party studios' engines
[ND is rumoured to be upgrading their engine with them] ,
photorealism can now be approached and perhaps even achieved towards the end of this console cycle

Covid took its toll, this gen has yet to begin.

anyone doubting this or saying otherwise has not grasped how revolutionary an engine like UE5 can be in the right hands.
Look at The Matrix. saying that the demo is not a game is idiotic because Epic developed the demo with an ENTIRE city
and as many gamplay features as a demo could have while also leaving some resources unused for further development.
what else should they have done to demonstrate its power?
The Order 1886 environments look so CGI to me.

The fuck is this.

Same shit AI. Just standing around doing much of fuck all.

Same shit animations.

Everything is wet.

K1YP.gif
annoyed-irritated.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member
"Death Stranding 2: What Was Impossible 3 Years Ago, Now Possible; Is Not a “Regular” Sequel Says Kojiima"

"This a sequel, so it’s my second time working with Norman and the technology has really improved over the last three years. Things that were impossible before are now possible. So we have been really challenging ourselves. It’s not just a regular sequel in that sense."

This is exciting, he is talking about how tech has improved over the last 3 years and how this allows them to do stuff they weren't able to.

Full article: https://mp1st.com/news/death-strand...possible-is-not-a-regular-sequel-says-kojiima
I have 93 hours in the Steam version so I'm not trying to be negative on purpose but what exactly is exciting about it, the article literally says nothing?

WitchHunter

Banned
[/URL][/URL]

That is my thread on ResetEra created april of 2020 before next gen consoles released. It has input from actual devs etc in the industry. Insomniac, Microsoft, Digital Foundry, DICE, Moon Studios etc.

I still consider TLOU II to be the one of the best looking games EVER made overall, counting animation, sound, graphics etc. This thread is to discuss future graphics and to show the best from the industry.

We need the computing power otherwise my cock will look like a japanese pixelated coitus movie in the obeyverse.

Bring in story, replace manchilds at gaming companies. There are 100+ years of books to select from and we get these horrid baby stories in games.

The fuck you need more fine detail when storytelling is at the level of a bloated frog.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We need the computing power otherwise my cock will look like a japanese pixelated coitus movie in the obeyverse.

Bring in story, replace manchilds at gaming companies. There are 100+ years of books to select from and we get these horrid baby stories in games.

The fuck you need more fine detail when storytelling is at the level of a bloated frog.
The problem with adaptations is that they will fuck those up as well. Just look at games of thrones. Video game developers have a much harder task inserting constant combat scenarios to keep the game from being a 9 hour long cutscene.

That said, i agree. The industry is just in a really bad place at the moment. Haven’t had a good story in years. Tlou2 was ambitious but not particularly good. Ratchet and Horizon were forgettable. Gow was disappointing. And i have no idea wtf cd project was trying to do with cyberpunk. BioWare has been MIA for years and with ND having a rough couple of entries, it’s basically been forgettable trash for a while now.

alloush

I have 93 hours in the Steam version so I'm not trying to be negative on purpose but what exactly is exciting about it, the article literally says nothing?
They are talking about DS2 not the first one. The exciting part is Kojma saying the new tech will allow them to do much more, things that they weren't able to do in DS1 due to tech limitations. So it is exciting to see what he is alluding to.

WitchHunter

Banned
The problem with adaptations is that they will fuck those up as well. Just look at games of thrones. Video game developers have a much harder task inserting constant combat scenarios to keep the game from being a 9 hour long cutscene.

That said, i agree. The industry is just in a really bad place at the moment. Haven’t had a good story in years. Tlou2 was ambitious but not particularly good. Ratchet and Horizon were forgettable. Gow was disappointing. And i have no idea wtf cd project was trying to do with cyberpunk. BioWare has been MIA for years and with ND having a rough couple of entries, it’s basically been forgettable trash for a while now.
The main problem with adaptations that people who make them do it for the money, they dont care about the material, they don't want it to succeed they just do it as a job. That's why most of them are like a bucket of shit.

At least cp77 showed that not only princess must be saved, everyone is honest and trustworthy, the good will prevail kinda regurgitated shit can be sold and told in a video game. And oh boy how far we are from properly crafted stories.

Last edited:
Praise for games like TLOU2, God of War and RDR2 were exactly what made me hungry for next gen since the lighting in them still stood out as jarringly fake outside of a few sections that the engine can handle well. Nvidia announced their raytracing accelerators at just the right time to give me hope that next gen will be better.

I"m super excited to see games on the level of the UE5 demos and such.

That said I think we are a world away from the examples you used in your OP which are offline rendered with 100x the time and power being used for every single frame..

this
JsubuPB.jpg

This isn't something that takes a machine that's 10x more powerful than a PS4, we would be lucky to do it on one that's 10x strong than a 3090 I think you underestimate the vast gulf between the two but If you really think the visual difference between them isn't that big I can't disagree with something that subjective. But this may be a case where something you see as a slight improvement like getting hair like that could take atleast an extra PS5 worth of power.

Hopefully, in 4 years I get a game that lets me ecstatically admit I'm wrong, but I feel like it will be a repeat of TLOU2 where everyone says it looks like real life while I'm waiting for next gen.

Luckily there are always stylized games that don't have the issue of aiming for realism and failing, I'll take play BoTW2 in 8k on an emulator over TLOU2 anyday.
Hmmm these seem pretty close already?

https://youtube.com/shorts/AaRgkoBZSIY?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/eN6vm9iEdNA?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZfpQ2DMkCng?feature=share

Please don’t derail my thread…

RPS37

Ragnarok + PS5 + OLED has been the most exciting graphical experience of my life and I can’t comprehend how so many don’t get that.

Edit: However by the looks of things, Forbidden West will probably have my eyes popping out of my head.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The third one is kinda hilarious because his face looks super realistic but the white fluffy part in his jacket close to his face looks fucking terrible, like a flat low res texture.

Skin tech has surpassed fabric tech:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Deacon in days gone had the same problem, great face tech but the material inside his hoodie looks like low res vomit
filipe.jpg

Devs need to catch up with fabric tech or in the future it's gonna look like life-like faces unnaturaly inserted in videogame bodies, not sure if you get what i mean.

I think insomniac does the best fluffy texture in the business (i know the material is not the same)
gZ1LKQl.jpg

Look at that fucking scarf.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

The third one is kinda hilarious because his face looks super realistic but the white fluffy part in his jacket close to his face looks fucking terrible, like a flat low res texture.

Deacon in days gone had the same problem, great face tech but the material inside his hoodie looks like low res vomit
filipe.jpg
that's not the actor. This is:
Sam-Witwer-as-Deacon-Days-Gone.jpg

Sam Witwer
his voice acting skills were superb

Lethal01

filipe.jpg

Devs need to catch up with fabric tech or in the future it's gonna look like life-like faces unnaturaly inserted in videogame bodies, not sure if you get what i mean.

I think insomniac does the best fluffy texture in the business (i know the material is not the same)
gZ1LKQl.jpg

Look at that fucking scarf.

It's weird seeing all the praise for Calisto Protocol,
That' games face look super uncanny to me, not especially stand out.

ABnormal

It's curious, but in this gen the potential limit has switched from computation to memory mass storage. We now have plenty horsepower (at least, for those developers who know how to program well, or for those who will use the already well programmed UE5) and also no bottlenecks in data management from SSDs to RAM. In theory, we could have easily that level of detail, but those models and textures are really heavy in memory, so if you want an entire game with that level of detail, sure, the GPUs and the I/O system would be able to run it, but the total weight of the game would take hundreds of gigabytes. Fact is, that the dimension of mass storage in consoles didn't grow significantly from PS3 to PS5, unlike all the other aspect, so it's now the present limit, and developers have to be reasonable on the space taken in SSD.

Last edited:

alloush

It's curious, but in this gen the potential limit has switched from computation to memory mass storage. We now have plenty horsepower (at least, for those developers who know how to program well, of for those who will use the already well programmed UE5) and also no bottlenecks in data management from SSDs to RAM. In theory, we could have easily that level of detail, but those models and textures are really heavy in memory, so if you want an entire game with that level of detail, sure, the GPUs and the I/O system would be able to run it, but the total weight of the game would take hundreds of gigabytes. Fact is, that the dimension of mass storage in consoles didn't grow significantly from PS3 to PS5, unlike all the other aspect, so it's now the present limit, and developers have to be reasonable on the space taken in SSD.
That was an awesome piece, I learned a lot from this post, appreciate it man. Though I do have a quick question and excuse my ignorance, but don't these new consoles have compression techniques which would help in compressing the games' files? or is this for something else?

ABnormal

That was an awesome piece, I learned a lot from this post, appreciate it man. Though I do have a quick question and excuse my ignorance, but don't these new consoles have compression techniques which would help in compressing the games' files? or is this for something else?
Yes, especially PS5 which has many dedicated processors for data management and decompression, allowing it to decompress on-the-fly even heavily compressed data to be served into RAM from SSD. But even with that great data compression, it should be ten times more compressed for the data to be able to be housed in an less-than-terabyte SSD, to be able to fit a game of that level of detail within 100 Gigabytes of compressed data on SSD. Even compression algorithms have not grown as much as the other aspects.
That's the reason of why, even if PS5 is able to stream huge amounts of data from SSD to RAM, allowing to have Z-brush-like models and 8k textures in the span of turning your visual from a side to the other, that level of detail would weight so much that in practice it will never be used in a real game (or it will be used only in special sporadic scenes that would need the maximum quality with constant variation of assets). Of course it's always a good thing having an hardware that allows you to develop any kind of scene without worrying about bottlenecks of any sorts, and with also a very fast loading, but concerning graphical quality, the overall game file dimension puts a limit. Just imagine a game like GoW, which weights, I don't remember, 80 Gigs? Now imagine using models and textures which weight four time in data. How big the game file would become? You could in theory have only a level, or even only a section, with monstrous quality assets, and "normal" ones for the rest of the game. But that's obviously not acceptable: all the game has to be more or less coherent in the level of detail.
From my point of view, I would be happy to face the hassle to clean half of the SSD to install a 500 giga game, but it may be unpopular for many, so there are compromises in development. Games like Call of Duty got to very big game file sizes, but that's an exception and was more like incompetence.
Even in the next generation things look like the same: I don't espect built-in SSDs bigger than 2 Terabytes, given the high cost of them, and compression can't develop as much as computational power and (potential) asset quality. So the overall game syze will be an even bigger limit, compared to what would be possible on next gen).

Other than compression, developers use many tricks to save space, such as using the same assets several times in a game (which has to be done moderately, otherwise repetition will be obvious and will disrupt the illusion - and efficient asset repetition management is an ability itself, for a developer) and keeping scarcely visible areas in low detail (all the infamous areas that are commonly used by console warriors to try to make some games appear less advanced than what they are).
An interesting thing about SSDs is that, contrary to HDDs, they have not "seek" time on the stored data, so they don't require for frequent met models to be written multiple times on mass storage. An example was made from Spiderman on PS5, where for example mailboxes are written hundreds of times on HHD, because mailboxes are everywhere in the game and for the streaming to be able to load them everywhere without lose time seeking the data on the disks of the HDD, they are written many and many times, occupying hundreds times their real memory footprint. SSDsm being without seek time, need only one time for the model data to be written, and when the scene will require it, its memory will be accessed instantaneously and sent to RAM, where the GPU will crunch it and send it on screen.

Last edited:

alloush

Yes, especially PS5 which has many dedicated processors for data management and decompression, allowing it to decompress on-the-fly even heavily compressed data to be served into RAM from SSD. But even with that great data compression, it should be ten times more compressed for the data to be able to be housed in an less-than-terabyte SSD, to be able to fit a game of that level of detail within 100 Gigabytes of compressed data on SSD. Even compression algorithms have not grown as much as the other aspects.
That's the reason of why, even if PS5 is able to stream huge amounts of data from SSD to RAM, allowing to have Z-brush-like models and 8k textures in the span of turning your visual from a side to the other, that level of detail would weight so much that in practice it will never be used in a real game (or it will be used only in special sporadic scenes that would need the maximum quality with constant variation of assets). Of course it's always a good thing having an hardware that allows you to develop any kind of scene without worrying about bottlenecks of any sorts, and with also a very fast loading, but concerning graphical quality, the overall game file dimension puts a limit. Just imagine a game like GoW, which weights, I don't remember, 80 Gigs? Now imagine using models and textures which weight four time in data. How big the game file would become? You could in theory have only a level, or even only a section, with monstrous quality assets, and "normal" ones for the rest of the game. But that's obviously not acceptable: all the game has to be more or less coherent in the level of detail.
From my point of view, I would be happy to face the hassle to clean half of the SSD to install a 500 giga game, but it may be unpopular for many, so there are compromises in development. Games like Call of Duty got to very big game file sizes, but that's an exception and was more like incompetence.
Even in the next generation things look like the same: I don't espect built-in SSDs bigger than 2 Terabytes, given the high cost of them, and compression can't develop as much as computational power and (potential) asset quality. So the overall game syze will be an even bigger limit, compared to what would be possible on next gen).

Other than compression, developers use many tricks to save space, such as using the same assets several times in a game (which has to be done moderately, otherwise repetition will be obvious and will disrupt the illusion - and efficient asset repetition management is an ability itself, for a developer) and keeping scarcely visible areas in low detail (all the infamous areas that are commonly used by console warriors to try to make some games appear less advanced than what they are).
An interesting thing about SSDs is that, contrary to HDDs, they have not "seek" time on the stored data, so they don't require for frequent met models to be written multiple times on mass storage. An example was made from Spiderman on PS5, where for example mailboxes are written hundreds of times on HHD, because mailboxes are everywhere in the game and for the streaming to be able to load them everywhere without lose time seeking the data on the disks of the HDD, they are written many and many times, occupying hundreds time their real memory footprint. SSDsm being without seek time, need only one time for the model data to be written, and when the scene will require it, its memory will be accessed instantaneously and sent to RAM, where the GPU will crunch it and send it on screen.
Amazing post, thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

The bolded part, you and I are on the same boat. I do not mind going through the hassle of freeing up tons of space to download a 500G game if it looked phenomenal and so realistic but as you said, we are probably in the minority.

In this case, could cloud gaming be the future? Maybe the Stadia was a little too soon? Wouldn't cloud gaming solve most of this? But then again you need blazing fast internet speeds to be able to stream large data like that, and a big chunk of the world still run on 3G speeds.

ABnormal

In this case, could cloud gaming be the future? Maybe the Stadia was a little too soon? Wouldn't cloud gaming solve most of this? But then again you need blazing fast internet speeds to be able to stream large data like that, and a big chunk of the world still run on 3G speeds.
Well, if there is a wide and steady internet connection, cloud gaming can surely allow for a theoretical "unlimited" level of detail. Since the "hard drive" and the computing are in some faraway server, in proportion to the cost of rental you could have in theory games that run on very powerful hardware and that weight terabytes. It just requires that each rendered frame is sent to your TV through the net, like using netflix. In practice it's like you are playing with a joypad connected to a console far away through a very long cable, and the video data doesn't come from the console though HDMI to TV, but from the far server through internet to your TV. High speed internet and latency are the potential problems, so optical fiber would be preferrable, but that would cut off many potential gamers. It's still too soon.
Certain experiences, like VR, could be impossible on cloud, due to the very narrow window between input and visual output on the VR screens: it has to be within 20 milliseconds (input on the controller, signal travelling to the server, processing data with CPU and GPU, and then sending back the rendered frame to the headset screens, which also have some latency themselves. All that must be within 20 milliseconds, otherwise it starts to feel uncomfortable). Surely with a future connection based on entanglement those problems will be solved:messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

alloush

Well, if there is a wide and steady internet connection, cloud gaming can surely allow for a theoretical "unlimited" level of detail. Since the "hard drive" and the computing are in some faraway server, in proportion to the cost of rental you could have in theory games that run on very powerful hardware and that weight terabytes. It just requires that each rendered frame is sent to your TV through the net, like using netflix. In practice it's like you are playing with a joypad connected to a console far away through a very long cable, and the video data doesn't come from the console though HDMI to TV, but from the far server through internet to your TV. High speed internet and latency are the potential problems, so optical fiber would be preferrable, but that would cut off many potential gamers. It's still too soon.
Certain experiences, like VR, could be impossible on cloud, due to the very narrow window between input and visual output on the VR screens: it has to be within 20 milliseconds (input on the controller, signal travelling to the server, processing data with CPU and GPU, and then sentind back the rendered frame to the TV, which also has some latency itself. All that must be within 20 milliseconds, otherwise it starts to feel uncomfortable). Surely with a future connection based on entanglement those problems will be solved:messenger_tongue:
I hear you. Yeah I reckon we are a good 10 years away at least from proper cloud gaming. The Stadia came too little too soon in my opinion. Once that gets fully unlocked the potential is quite high with it.

alloush

UE5 is really impressive, it does so many things at the same time that no other engine can do. And its still in its infancy.

The wind in space and on Moon was funny, tough:messenger_grinning_squinting:
Dude, the wind in space and on the Moon got me so bad I was laughing for a while.

Watched it yesterday. Pretty impressive stuff from one dude.

Crazy that entire teams of 500-1000 developers cant seem to get there though.
Exactly. It is one dude creating this hella impressive concept it is crazy honestly. Further enhances the theory that devs are lazy and money-hungry minimizing effort and maximizing profits.

lol you realize it is a channel that china pumps out this crap ?!
It looks terrible, it's all fake and people eat this crap
Son, cheer up a little it aint that deep. That concept was hella impressive I don't care if it came from North Korea itself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude, the wind in space and on the Moon got me so bad I was laughing for a while.

Exactly. It is one dude creating this hella impressive concept it is crazy honestly. Further enhances the theory that devs are lazy and money-hungry minimizing effort and maximizing profits.

Son, cheer up a little it aint that deep. That concept was hella impressive I don't care if it came from North Korea itself.
It wasn't impressive.
It's cheap UE store assets with some filters.... This isn't good graphics

This pertains to our IO/SSD talk, like I mentioned this is something the devs asked for it and Sony gave them something much better.
Here is the link for the article: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/82876/ps5-devs-wanted-1gb-sec-ssd-speeds-sony-delivered-5x-that/index.html#:~:text=Game developers originally wanted an,beyond by delivering 5x that.&text=In a recent interview with,when it came to storage.
qrNzcLG.png
If this tech goes largely unused this gen I'll..

I don't know what I'll do

You can change the position of the sun in realtime and the GI adjusts. You can change to night time with a press of a button. And the GI adjusts immediately. Thats why Lumens is so impressive in the first place. It's 100% realtime.

The NPCs all have their own AI routines. You can follow them around and while you cant shoot them, they do interact with you if you block their path. You just cant murder them but thats precisely why they left a lot of CPU overhead to add in gaming systems like that.

There are PC mods that let you shoot and damage the cars. I dont know what you mean by random damage system. It is completely simulated. I have done a million crashes and they are different every time. The traffic simulation is better than anything else out there. Fully simulated instead of faked like in previous gen open world games. I have created traffic jams that extends for miles. There are 50k parked cars. 35k cars on the road. 25k pedastrians. These are numbers we just dont see at that level of fidelity.

You can fly in the game. Drive in the game. Have AI react to you in the game. There is an on rails chase sequence with AI, scripted crashes and shooting. I can see the downplaying of a demo like the samaritan demo, but this thing is literally fully playable.

PC Mods enable a bunch of other interactive elements and it truly showcases what this demo can do.

zbJ0cqO.gif

rQWb1Ow.gif

It is far more interactive and simulated than those barren open worlds made by SSM, GG and Ubisoft.

It looks a lot better on PC doesn't it? The image quality us not exactly pristine on ps5

Top Bottom