• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think hfw also gets the edge on character models overall quality (way more even all around) and enemy models (robots vs robots)

The average throw away npc with 1 line of dialogue is at least as detailed (if not more) as the most detailed character in cyberpunk.

I know that in the path traced topic there is that very impressive pic of jackie coming out of the shadow, but that is super cherry picked to perfection, 99% of times, characters don't look as good as that pic.

You know what, i wasn't going to even bother with downloading cyberpunk again to try this new patch, but fuck it, i'm curious now if even slimy is impressed.

With a 4080 i should be able to do 4k30 if i tone down other settings, right?
You will need DLSS quality or balanced to do 4k 30 fps without turning down other settings.

For my 3080, i had to go all the way down to 1440p dlss balanced to get 30+ fps though it did go up to 40-50 fps depending on the load. Switch to night time and hope it rains. You will see a lot of reflections.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I think hfw also gets the edge on character models overall quality (way more even all around) and enemy models (robots vs robots)

The average throw away npc with 1 line of dialogue is at least as detailed (if not more) as the most detailed character in cyberpunk.

I know that in the path traced topic there is that very impressive pic of jackie coming out of the shadow, but that is super cherry picked to perfection, 99% of times, characters don't look as good as that pic.
They are actually comparable, Jackie is not the only good looking model. Almost all the main story characters are highly detailed and have one of the best PBR ever. And i mean sure you can find some average NPCs on the open world but so can you also in HFW. But i think that Aloy's models is slightly more detailed but the PBR are not as good as CP2077
Those are all before the Overdrive update btw
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-48-11.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-8-02-51.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-14-04-2023-1-55-02.jpg

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Impressive stuff. I hope this fixes the uncanny valley and dead eyes that we can’t seem to find a solution for.
Eyes have been fixed long ago tbh, especially in the big AAA games, the eyes in Horizon VR are class the way they follow your own eyes and look perfectly fine

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
ezgif-5-52e92862c2.gif

Ftru9qJWYAAI4FT

We're getting somewhere. I cant wait to see how this battle plays out. I expect some crazy shit that takes advantage of PS5 exclusivity.

I suspect this segment will be the real show stopper if they pull it off in gameplay

1500x500

Im legit anticipating one of the best set pieces in gaming.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

9AZ8188.png

In that shot alone what retail game has a lighting model where a light source has this kind of impact on this many different materials in a scene? I've never seen this.

Even the character model's teeth has accurate reflections from the light source.
Again, who cares about all the technical stuff going on in the background when the final image doesnt even look as good as PS4 games?

Here is what Horizon character models look like in cutscenes.

FL_ct3eWQAsD0w3

BTDw7mQ.jpg

6eCphYw.jpg

FLveWLAXwAQ5vlM

Turk1993

This looks good, but the object blur has something off. Also the cars do not seem to be running at those speeds, they seem to be at 60 or something lol
Its the motion blur speed and focal lenght of the simulated camera that makes it look weird, and the stif lock on car.

Hunnybun

What's going on with Sony first parties? They were always good but so far they seem to be like half a generation ahead of anyone else.

Ratchet and Horizon look way better than anything else and generally at like double the resolution.

I remember people laughing at me before the consoles came out when I said the PS5 would still have the best looking games because of their first parties, but I never thought the gap would be so big.

UnNamed

Banned
PS5 vs PS4 vs PS3 comparison. We are going back in time, Gentlemen.

FtoqOTqWIAIviZ4

oerba-yun.gif

Lol at models in game vs a (CGI?) cutscene. FF13 models are trash, they have some details for the face and four polygons for the bodies.

The problem with FFXVI is its character design, is too much cartooney, this make look them less detailed. At least FXV had a mix between the Nomura's design and actual people.

I don't know if it was intentional, but this model has Vagrant Story vibes or Final Fantasy Tactics

FF16-Ambition-PV_10-20-22.jpg

Last edited:

CGNoire

they both look like they are from the same generation. if anything, the FF15 model looks better.

I have no idea why they want us to think this looks like a PS5 game.

kCRoheW.png

jvLKJA5.png

The hero lighting is completely gone from dialogue sections and you get to see just how poor this game looks during gameplay.

Final_Fantasy_XVI_-_State_of_Play_4K_-_PS5_Games.mp4_20230414_193037.425.jpg

Final_Fantasy_XVI_-_State_of_Play_4K_-_PS5_Games.mp4_20230414_193053.889.jpg

These are not PS4 quality models. This is not PS4 quality lighting. I dont know what those textures are supposed to be in the background.

I will concede that the scale of this game is massive and they probably focused on bigger battles, but modern video game techniques allow them to have highly detailed interiors which can then be adjusted outdoors with low LOD versions. I noticed that the foliage level of detail in some outdoor areas is very impressive. But the same level of detail and especially the lighting quality isnt applied to indoor areas.

ynS17fp.jpeg

I have been calling out the FF7 Rebirth devs who proudly claimed that they are keeping the same PS4 character models for the sequel they plan to charge $70 for. 4 years dev time and they wont even bother changing character models on new gen hardware? WTF is this lazy shit? To me, this is a clear developer decision. They prioritized scale over visual fidelity and thats ok, but you gotta have some fucking standards too. Your game cant look worse than your last gen game from 7 years ago.
I do think those models are technically PS4 quality when it comes to polygon count though. But it seems like there only the 1st draft of the model or something. Like they havent even taken the time to carve out the cloth wrinkles. But theres hints that the geometry to do so is there intact and in the times of PBR anything not lit bye direct lighting or RTGI looks awefull.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They are actually comparable, Jackie is not the only good looking model. Almost all the main story characters are highly detailed and have one of the best PBR ever. And i mean sure you can find some average NPCs on the open world but so can you also in HFW. But i think that Aloy's models is slightly more detailed but the PBR are not as good as CP2077
Those are all before the Overdrive update btw
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-48-11.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-8-02-51.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-14-04-2023-1-55-02.jpg
Skin looks better in horizon for me, cyberpunk looks a bit more plasticky to me.

Look at the pics of slimy or these

FLu1Mr-XwAAV6iD

FNx_vXWXEAU3R5I

WUUskAp.jpg

But i guess we are splitting hairs, hellblade 2 latest tech demo put both to shame, hopefully the game is gonna look like that at least during cutscenes.

I don't know man, i look at the pics of path-traced cyberpunk but nothing has that cg look like horizon, i don't know if it's the colors, the hero light or the bombastic light system opposed to a realistic one, but to me horizon just looks better

even in a random screens like these
T1Y0Jy1.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_xfkzm.png

Last edited:

Turk1993

Skin looks better in horizon for me, cyberpunk looks a bit more plasticky to me.

Look at the pics of slimy or these

FLu1Mr-XwAAV6iD

FNx_vXWXEAU3R5I

WUUskAp.jpg

But i guess we are splitting hairs, hellblade 2 latest tech demo put both to shame, hopefully the game is gonna look like that at least during cutscenes.

I don't know man, i look at the pics of path-traced cyberpunk but nothing has that cg look like horizon, i don't know if it's the colors, the hero light or the bombastic light system opposed to a realistic one, but to me horizon just looks better

even in a random screens like these
T1Y0Jy1.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_xfkzm.png
Look they both have great characters and i agreed that aloys model is a bit more detailed than any other model in both games. But its the setting in HFW that people maybe like it more, it has that super nice vibrant magic look with lots of details that pop vs dark gritty neon city of CP2077.

Also quick edit: CP2077 plastic look is on purpose on most models since they have plastic body or implants.

These where all before the Overdrive update btw

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What's going on with Sony first parties? They were always good but so far they seem to be like half a generation ahead of anyone else.

Ratchet and Horizon look way better than anything else and generally at like double the resolution.

I remember people laughing at me before the consoles came out when I said the PS5 would still have the best looking games because of their first parties, but I never thought the gap would be so big.
Avatar looks amazing. Hellblade 2 as well. Re4 actually does some amazing stuff with the hair. At least on PC where it’s shaded properly on high settings. Ashley and Luis look stunning with the free flowing hair in cutscenes. Callisto has some great looking character models too.

I think square is just being weird. The rest of the industry is limiting themselves to last Gen tech but i suspect this year we will finally see people start showing next Gen stuff at E3. Death stranding, avatar, hellblade, gears, tlou3, witcher 3, should all be at this year’s e3.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Avatar looks amazing. Hellblade 2 as well. Re4 actually does some amazing stuff with the hair. At least on PC where it’s shaded properly on high settings. Ashley and Luis look stunning with the free flowing hair in cutscenes. Callisto has some great looking character models too.

I think square is just being weird. The rest of the industry is limiting themselves to last Gen tech but i suspect this year we will finally see people start showing next Gen stuff at E3. Death stranding, avatar, hellblade, gears, tlou3, witcher 3, should all be at this year’s e3.
meh, fifa 2021 has WAY better hairs and 2022 and 2023 i bet are even better

VIW7Ml.gif

Fifa is the king of hairs.

dmc 5 is also pretty great.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Don't forget Spiderman 2, Insomniac delivered some amazing looking games early in the gen that looked incredible. Also they have some amazing animations in there games thats super smooth.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Don't forget Spiderman 2, Insomniac delivered some amazing looking games early in the gen that looked incredible. Also they have some amazing animations in there games thats super smooth.
I want to see how much they imprved their character\face rendering from morales.

Again, who cares about all the technical stuff going on in the background when the final image doesnt even look as good as PS4 games?
Who's problem is that? Let Square Enix figure that out.

The scene from 2:00-2:10 with the dragon shooting particle beams all over the crumbling meshes and shit wipes the floor with that Horizon game, as it should for non obvious reasons to some out here on these streets.

Hunnybun

Agreed on all those tbf. RE4 looked great in the demo - way better than I expected - and obviously Avatar looked reassuringly close to the reveal in that screen.

Yeah hopefully we get more stuff soon. Just been such a long wait.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Here is what Horizon character models look like in cutscenes.

FL_ct3eWQAsD0w3

BTDw7mQ.jpg

6eCphYw.jpg

FLveWLAXwAQ5vlM
Dude I actually took pics of my fucking tv when I played the game.... like with my phone lol...
Like... every character is Die-Hardman level of quality. It's insane

VSMVgP8.jpg

GvEG2ai.jpg

dCjxG1o.jpg

Excuse the pixels but that's the moire effects if I get like 5cm close to the screen :p
YH3tJDE.jpg

XqMESSR.jpg

PS4:
horizonforbiddenwest_6wk6y.png

PS5:

Final_Fantasy_XVI_-_State_of_Play_4K_-_PS5_Games.mp4_20230414_193037.425.jpg

This is a joke lol

Yeah Squares indoor stuff looks like shit. Have you seen indoor clips from Forspoken? I bought the game last sale and the outdoor stuff looks a generation better than indoor. Ff16 seems to have the same problem. They must share tech or something between ff team and forspoken cause they look so similar.

I'm not as big on cutscene close ups of character models but I agree also, not the best.

I do think some of the night-time stuff in ff16 looks great.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude I actually took pics of my fucking tv when I played the game.... like with my phone lol...

VSMVgP8.jpg

GvEG2ai.jpg

dCjxG1o.jpg

Excuse the pixels but that's the moire effects if I get like 5cm close to the screen :p
YH3tJDE.jpg

XqMESSR.jpg
It really is insane.

I don't think we are gonna see such an evenly detailed huge cast of characters in an open world until horizon 3 or maybe witcher 4.

I'm happy to be disproved by rockstar with gta6 but except for arthur, their face rendering is always very stylized and not super detailed.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for 20 years since the Dawn demo for characters in games to have transparent materials on them.

6F5HIc6.jpg

Look at the shading density on the environments and character models..
hIBBRNS.jpg

ICHXfkG.jpg

Oh..my god. Give me fucking Rocksteady with these technical capabilities.

Loxus

PS5 vs PS4 vs PS3 comparison. We are going back in time, Gentlemen.

FtoqOTqWIAIviZ4

PS3

oerba-yun.gif

P.S We all wondered just what the hell happened to the video game industry and here it is:

228.png

Modern devs: Fuck graphics fidelity.
I wouldn't say going back in time.
I would say little progress.
zOs1cmj.jpg
GwU4M9A.jpg
iVfmblA.jpg

mSNbjUL.jpg
SyDGffQ.jpg
thygiUN.jpg
ErqSrsF.jpg

CGNoire

VSMVgP8.jpg

GvEG2ai.jpg

dCjxG1o.jpg

YH3tJDE.jpg

XqMESSR.jpg
Even the npcs are better looking than Diehardman.

CGNoire

It really is insane.

I don't think we are gonna see such an evenly detailed huge cast of characters in an open world until horizon 3 or maybe witcher 4.

I'm happy to be disproved by rockstar with gta6 but except for arthur, their face rendering is always very stylized and not super detailed.
I still think GTA6's characters no matter how delayed are gonna look far worse than HFW's. Its gonna be a Next gen only game with PS4 level assets. Physics and scale will be its next gen features.

And Please dont RDR2 @ me. The Rockstar that funded and polished that masterpiece does not exist anymore. GreedStar replaced it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This flying shot shows just how important is it to have wider FOVs especially when flying. I really hope GG lets us adjust the FOV this time around. Hogwarts does a great job of pulling back the camera when you get on buckbeak compared to when you're on your broom. It really helps sell the experience of traversing a giant open world.
3.gif

Yeah Squares indoor stuff looks like shit. Have you seen indoor clips from Forspoken? I bought the game last sale and the outdoor stuff looks a generation better than indoor. Ff16 seems to have the same problem. They must share tech or something between ff team and forspoken cause they look so similar.

I'm not as big on cutscene close ups of character models but I agree also, not the best.

I do think some of the night-time stuff in ff16 looks great.
It has some redeeming qualities. I think I mentioned the foliage that looks great. The setpieces look fantastic but we shall see just how interactive they are. If its like bayonetta 3 where its just two giants throwing shit at each other with fast camera cuts and a billion things on screen, it wont look too impressive. Like I said, its possible that they focused on selling a massive epic scale in favor of wasting years on adding more level of detail and rendering/mocapping every single NPC like horizon does.

meh, fifa 2021 has WAY better hairs and 2022 and 2023 i bet are even better

Fifa is the king of hairs.

dmc 5 is also pretty great.
Yeah, fifa hair looks great, but this is the first time ive seen hair this good in a real video game. RE4 doesnt get enough credit imo. it does a lot things right. The texture work is immaculate.

I left out spiderman 2 because I have a bad feeling about it. I am expecting it to look on par with Ratchet. great looking but not a generation ahead of cyberpunk or horizon FW.

Miles faces where underrated, but there is always room for improvement
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-20220206031520.png
lol Back when i was on era, I made a comparison of his character model in the game to the one they released during the PS5 reveal where they tried to hide the fact that it is a cross gen game. It triggered jstevenson who was like that model is in the final game you know. I didnt say anything because i didnt want to get banned, but it was clear that this model is no where closed to what we got in the final game.

ZOlBWd7.gif

This shot was in the game in the very last scene and was likely pre-rendered.

TBH, I wouldve even taken something like this. Captured on PS5 my ass.

7e789534-7bf9-4b77-88a4-a493e189ac20.__CR0,0,800,600_PT0_SX800_V1___.jpg

What was this captured on? PS4?

BGKU6zz.gif

Lethal01

ZOlBWd7.gif

This shot was in the game in the very last scene and was likely pre-rendered.

TBH, I wouldve even taken something like this. Captured on PS5 my ass.

7e789534-7bf9-4b77-88a4-a493e189ac20.__CR0,0,800,600_PT0_SX800_V1___.jpg

What was this captured on? PS4?

BGKU6zz.gif

probably the same model, just with carefully curated lighting to bring out the detail.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I still think GTA6's characters no matter how delayed are gonna look far worse than HFW's. Its gonna be a Next gen only game with PS4 level assets. Physics and scale will be its next gen features.

And Please dont RDR2 @ me. The Rockstar that funded and polished that masterpiece does not exist anymore. GreedStar replaced it.
I think people underestimating R* and GTA6 are gonna be in for a shitload of crow. That leak was not how the game will look.

Its going to be utterly beautiful.

And that R* still exists, they've had some slip ups but they wont play around with a game this big.

3liteDragon

Can you tell me how you made those high quality gifs?
i downloaded the video from YT at 4K, uploaded it into the ezgif site & made it using that. Once you upload the vid to the site (100MB limit, so I compressed the vid with FreeConvert.com video compressor, H265), use the FFMPEG method, set the frame rate to 33 & size to 800p. Sounds complicated but I think you'll get it once you play around with it for a bit, it is a little time-consuming tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom