• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

HighPoly

Banned
What would be the point to reach any arbitrary TF number in context of graphic complexity?
I know that TF itself is not the most important thing in console hardware, you may see those diferences between Series X and PS5, even Series X with more raw power than PS5. Sometimes PS5 show better framerate or resolutions. But, anyway, I hope to see in a 1,8 TF Switch Console, the same tech as we've seen in Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us 2, but totally supported in Zelda or Mario. Could you even imagine how beautiful the worlds must be on next 3D Mario with these 1,8 or 2,0 Teraflops???

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not sure what this adds though? It's a fun effect of just silly chaos, but it's mostly animated physics and particle effects (like how splinters go away, leaving just core debris if that once the cycle ends,) and none of it interacts with the NPCs other than triggering a switch to the panic state of animation. Ratchet games are doing stuff like this all the time. Gravity does add in a nice cloth sim frill, that's a nice touch.

I do agree that this gen has been frustrating lacking in frills-filled game scenes, just having tech goofiness added to show off and look cool. Have more fun, game makers!
It's not even that impressive, the npcs reactions are super basic and they have no physicality, nothing touch them.

and the destruction? a couple of objects made of wood?

pretty sure infamous on ps2 does npcs reactions much better than that.

Last edited:

Musilla

ezgif-3-4f4bc01c64.gif

ezgif-3-163922ed02.gif

CamHostage

It's not even that impressive...

Well, it's FUN, which I think is one of the points. Not enough games let you break stuff just to break stuff these days, for some reason.

But you do have to build objects in that way that they have a physics destruction assignment to them, and then you get that Scooby-Doo style where it's like, "there's a box and it'll break like this and there's a fruitcart and it'll smash fruit like that but that sign or table won't break because it's part of the architecture..." If physics could be assigned like PBR materials (the old DMM idea, which does apply a bit in UE Chaos i think? but surfaces have to be uniform and still pre-fractured, i think? ) then you'd have some cool surprises.

and the destruction? a couple of objects made of wood.

Same thing; they're not objects "made of wood", they simple polygonal outlines with animations attached to give the impression of splintering wood when they break. Assigning objects the properties of wood or glass or stone or taffy or what have you is really interesting and feels overdue (despite the clear technological hurdles to doing it.)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not sure what this adds though? It's a fun effect of just silly chaos, but it's mostly animated physics and particle effects (like how splinters go away, leaving just core debris if that once the cycle ends,) and none of it interacts with the NPCs other than triggering a switch to the panic state of animation. Ratchet games are doing stuff like this all the time. Gravity does add in a nice cloth sim frill, that's a nice touch.

I do agree that this gen has been frustrating lacking in frills-filled game scenes, just having tech goofiness added to show off and look cool. Have more fun, game makers!
It adds more immersion. Just look at the gifs of Horizon posted above. Beautiful, yet sterile. I find Gravity Rush more impressive because it feels more alive. Thanks to the poor CPU upgrade (or lack thereof) from the PS360 gen, the devs just went to create open worlds in the wilderness and we lost that physics upgrade GTA4, Infamous and AC promised in the early days. Unity came closest and its far more impressive to me than AC Valhalla.

Infamous 1 to Infamous Second Son is a huge visual upgrade, but man I love seeing cars and people get sucked into tornadoes. Second Son just didnt feel as immersive because of that despite the gorgeous visuals.

Both TLOU and RE4 feature enhanced destruction. Its actually an option you can toggle on PC in RE4, but you almost never see it because the destruction is limited to book shelves you will never shoot and small bottles and pans. Let me blow up a fucking table, have a chair explode into bits if i throw a grenade, or just do what ND showed in the original TLOU2 demo.... have people swing the axe, hit the shelves and have them break. Right now, they just swing in the air and miss and its so boring.

The interaction in games is holding back immersion.

E-Cat

Both TLOU and RE4 feature enhanced destruction. Its actually an option you can toggle on PC in RE4, but you almost never see it because the destruction is limited to book shelves you will never shoot and small bottles and pans. Let me blow up a fucking table, have a chair explode into bits if i throw a grenade, or just do what ND showed in the original TLOU2 demo.... have people swing the axe, hit the shelves and have them break. Right now, they just swing in the air and miss and its so boring.

The interaction in games is holding back immersion.
If after seeing those at the time mindblowing HL2 demos you had told me 20 years later we still haven't surpassed that level of interactivity and physics in games, I would've laughed. And then cried.

Lethal01

This is fair but you're arguing art style versus graphics.
I feel like I was clear that I was talking about style from the start feels like people here are the ones trying to start arguments about what I like, which they can only ever lose.

The extreme "hero lighting" it uses for characters is also truly disgusting.
The extreme hero lighting is actually one of the things I actually really like about Horizon. wish it was as intense as the trailers made it.

I don't think Horizon is perfect looking, it can be too busy at times but make no mistake, switch the platforms of the two games and the opinions change.
If Nintendo was focusing on making games that look like Horizon I would just stop being interested in their games visuals, I simply am not very interested in that artistic direction and much prefer what we got now. Nintendo style just fits my tastes. I just want stronger hardware for things like higher res.

I wouldn't be too hard on them, Nintendo fans experiencing an open world game are like plebs from East Germany let to roam over the wall for the first time.
Played like 50 open world games since Assassins Creed, BoTW is the best one. Elden Ring is good too but it's too combat focused.

Lethal01 Lethal01

BOTW is a great game and I like the art style too, but there is nothing that I can associate or relate with graphical fidelity in it.

Well yeah ofcourse, I'm not saying they are graphically impressive at all I'm saying how I wanna see them involve. And rather than going for anything like the original WIIU tech demo or those ugly Unreal engine demos I would absolutely love for them to evolve the BoTW style to make it look like this prerendered CG trailer in realtime.

and with raytracing I think it's definitely doable. But I think that even if it looked like this people would still say it needs more detailed textures which I would not be a fan of, what I really want is for more detailed geometry just so bricks actually sink into the ground and wall like in this trailer.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
He's right though. Horizon is technologically impressive but artistically garish.

Agreed.

The extreme "hero lighting" it uses for characters is also truly disgusting.

I wasn't sure about it at first but I've grown to love it. In fact, the decision to go with the hero lighting was most likely to neutralize the overly bright artistic design you're take issue with, as a way to stand out from her surroundings as the main player.

No. Maybe close to 1.8 tflops docked.

But then we will also have a better cpu and dlss 2.1.
The current Switch is 0.4tflops when docked. The new chip leaked for the next Switch can easily do 2.5-3tflops (depending on clocks) when docked then they'll have DLSS to deploy which will enable PS5/Series "impossible ports" by running them at native 480p then using DLSS to take the image quality up to 1080p.

The next Switch will be a ginormous leap over the current Switch in compute power maybe even bigger than 3DS was to Switch in handheld mode. In the region of an old school 10x generational leap. I expect Nintendo's first parties to target 1080p native in docked mode then use DLSS to get up to 4k. If they so desire they will output visuals on par with Ratchet PS5 with this hardware if they are willing to spend much more than they currently do on development.

This will be their first huge leap in development budgets since the HD Wii U era but I'm not convinced they have any need to target beyond Switch in terms of geometric complexity, shading and models. As shown above games like BotW and Mario Odyssey already look phenomenal in 4k and that's games developed around 3GB of pathetically slow RAM, a 0.2tflop GPU and a mobile phone CPU from a decade ago. They will truly shock people if they push this new hardware. It's good that Nintendo will finally be in the ballpark of cutting edge visuals again. It only took them almost 20 years... :p

KXVXII9X

The second Nintendo makes a game with the visuals like Horizon (in 20 years) Nintendo fans will fawn over it like the second coming. People have a hate boner for Horizon the same way they did Killzone because it was outclassing the competitors marquee franchise (Halo) and people hated that.

I don't think Horizon is perfect looking, it can be too busy at times but make no mistake, switch the platforms of the two games and the opinions change.

BOTW is awful looking for many reasons but even taking that away and looking at the artstyle only, the game gets boring to look at after a while because it lacks detail. Its so barebones that theres nothing to appreciate.
My issue with Horizon wasn't the graphics but in that the world didn't feel alive and there was a lack of physics and interactivity that Zelda BotW had during that time. While HZD looked much better technically, it felt static and unalive. Things like NPC all having their own routines, interacting with objects and the environment was great in that it wasn't just set dressing. Both were good at art direction though. I haven't played Horizon Forbidden West but it looks MUCH better than the first game and looks a lot more alive.

I do agree in that Zelda TotK could use more contrast and some higher resolution. That and less popup and better textures.

OCASM

Banned
I wasn't sure about it at first but I've grown to love it. In fact, the decision to go with the hero lighting was most likely to neutralize the overly bright artistic design you're take issue with, as a way to stand out from her surroundings as the main player.
The hero lighting is so strong that it makes characters look chroma keyed into the background. Like a bad live-action/CGI composite. Also, using a hard shadow casting light as a fill light is a mistake.

KXVXII9X

It is the little touches that really add to the game. Sure, they don't necessarily need it and it doesn't have a real function, but man does it ever add to the awe and immersive feel to the games. It reminds me when Zelda OoT had signs you could cut very accurately. There is no real use for it but it was cool and made the world seem more grounded. There is a ton of that in Nintendo games where they go the extra mile. Same with Naughty Dog.

KXVXII9X

The current Switch is 0.4tflops when docked. The new chip leaked for the next Switch can easily do 2.5-3tflops (depending on clocks) when docked then they'll have DLSS to deploy which will enable PS5/Series "impossible ports" by running them at native 480p then using DLSS to take the image quality up to 1080p.

The next Switch will be a ginormous leap over the current Switch in compute power maybe even bigger than 3DS was to Switch in handheld mode. In the region of an old school 10x generational leap. I expect Nintendo's first parties to target 1080p native in docked mode then use DLSS to get up to 4k. If they so desire they will output visuals on par with Ratchet PS5 with this hardware if they are willing to spend much more than they currently do on development.

This will be their first huge leap in development budgets since the HD Wii U era but I'm not convinced they have any need to target beyond Switch in terms of geometric complexity, shading and models. As shown above games like BotW and Mario Odyssey already look phenomenal in 4k and that's games developed around 3GB of pathetically slow RAM, a 0.2tflop GPU and a mobile phone CPU from a decade ago. They will truly shock people if they push this new hardware. It's good that Nintendo will finally be in the ballpark of cutting edge visuals again. It only took them almost 20 years... :p
Next gen Mario and Zelda are both going to look really good. Next gen Pokemon will finally look like a WiiU game.

I honestly like Zelda's art style. I think its visually pleasing in cutscenes, but there is no denying that they are using flat PS2 quality textures on most rocks and mountains. Foliage is replaced with a flat texture on anything that isnt directly in front of you. You can see this in every single gameplay trailer they've released this year and they've released several.

Then there is the IQ. Im glad Lethal can play this on his 3090 but 99.99% of the people played this on the crappy switch where it looked absolutely atrocious despite being 1080p in docked mode. The IQ in the latest trailer shows they are way below 1080p this time around. I have played RDR2 on 900p on an xbox slim and it did not have the jaggies and shimmering this game has.

Guilty Gear, Gravity Rush, Wind Waker all have a similar art style but they do not forego basic fucking textures like BOTW did. What Tears is doing is taking it to the next level. IQ is almost as bad as Bayonetta 3. I admire that fucking game for its insane setpieces but it is clear that the game was not meant to be on that hardware. Sometimes developers have to check themselves. None of those setpieces had the impact setpieces in PS3 games had because they look utterly awful.
You yourself just posted a gif marvelling at physics. BotW was made with the aim of a huge open World with no loading times and some of the most advanced physics systems (which all interact with each other) in the entire industry. Built with a Wii U as the target platform... Games are built around aims the producers and directors have. Had they wanted to they could have made a game that looks like the tech demo but it would have been extremely linear and another OoT remake like Twilight Princess was.

BotW was also dynamic 720p in portable mode and dynamic 900p in docked mode (when it's strained it drops to 720p). When the latest two Zelda's get their next gen patch with DLSS to bring them to 4k they will look astounding to a lot of people.

KXVXII9X

I think they will look great, I’m very excited. But I hope they move 3D Zelda to 60fps lol. I’ll take the less potential in visual fidelity for that
I agree! I'm not a 60fps or leave it kind of guy, but I think the franchise would highly benefit from a lot of frames since it usually has great animations and liveliness to it.

CamHostage

It is the little touches that really add to the game. Sure, they don't necessarily need it, and it doesn't have a real function, but man does it ever add to the awe and immersive feel to the games.

Yeah, of course. But it's worth pointing out that these little touches we're talking about right now still require manpower more than technology. Some game designer has to spend part of their day figuring out how to fracture and splinter a chair and budget the memory cost on the scene, so that you the gamer can have an answer to the question, "Hey, i wonder if this game will let me break that chair over there? "

On the tech side, my guess why we're not getting enough of these immersive elements (though probably its in theremore than we remember, it's just more subtle now?) is that the increase in detail has made these things harder to pack in there? Compare this market street in Gravity Daze to a similar street in Stray; the density and complexity of scenery elements is way different, it's on a different scale of fidelity. Stray isn't a "more advanced" game (it is and it isn't,) but it's built at a fidelity that gamers expect more these days. And creating physics properties for everything in scenes with this fidelity, where objects are individually detailed and placed to add depth to the scene, is more of a process. (Plus, debris and realistic objects are intentionally placed where they go, and if the cat could knock and smash everything in Stray, perhaps the detail underneath all the lifelike street objects would not look so realistic anymore when you see the basic facade?)

stage_palel3.png

The-Wildest_Editorial_Stray_cat_game_Hero.jpg

And just in general, the move towards greater "realism" has broken some of the cheesy elements developers used to throw in to make things seem realistic. Like, remember on PS1 when almost every game let you shoot the lights out? That was a nice effect turning on and off the lighting overlays; once "lighting" got more complicated and integral to the scene (as well as the characters,) the idea of shooting the lights out would change the look of the scene dramatically and also leave behind so many artifacts/anomalies. (A nicely-detailed table would have shadows drawn into the textures of its legs, for instance, but then there'd be no reason for shadow if there was no light; a PS1 game meanwhile would just have a flat polygonal table that looks the same lit or unlit aside from maybe some general brightness values.) Changing lights in a scene lit for one specific condition doesn't work unless you have a developer configure all objects of a scene for the different types of lighting it'll fall under. So shoot-out-the-lights faded away on PS2, and then by the time they had more natural light paths and material shaders on future hardware, developers had forgotten all about how often gamers used to go around shooting out lights for fun. Maybe with stuff like Lumen developers will let us shoot the lights out more often again...

Last edited:
Remember Guys, Ratchet Clank is just the first 3D Platform game well made by Insomaniac for PS5. So can you even imagine how beautiful the next sequel is gonna look like?
Ratchet is already near or surpessed from Toy Story 1995... I just can't imagine the next one...
Toy story 1995? Lol. That has been matched or surpassed back in 2005,People really forget how Toy Story 1 looks…

CGI 1995

Real time 2005

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I wouldn't be too hard on them, Nintendo fans experiencing an open world game are like plebs from East Germany let to roam over the wall for the first time.
Haha harsh words but yeah I don't understand what Breath of the wild does that sets it apart from all the other open world games.

Zelda is just such a beloved nostalgic franchise it will always sell.

UnNamed

Banned
Botw in this thread, what the fok men.

BotW has a good artstyle, but it wasn't even the best for the last gen.

So should I post Guild Wars or Virtua Racing in this thread?

Horizon, while technically impressive, looks too ornate and ’videogame-y’ for me with its overly saturated colors. I much prefer the plainer looks of something like FF16.

This is one of the things I love about the game. I think it would have been a mistake by the developers to target a "photo-realisitic" art design, because you know, it's just ugly lol

For a game like The Last of Us that would make sense, since the directors/producers were aiming for it to be grounded (pun un-intended) in terms of world design and storytelling.

I think I'll always prefer stylised or as you would say videogamy visuals, such is the nature of virtual 3D games.

But yes it's all just personal preference and subjective in the end I guess.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mean, ff16 should have a tragic, adult story and they all look like fashion models or dolls, not sure how that artstyle help selling that type of story tbh.

If they also emote like dolls is gonna be hard to take them seriously during the more emotional bits.

Horizon, while technically impressive, looks too ornate and ’videogame-y’ for me with its overly saturated colors. I much prefer the plainer looks of something like FF16.

I remember within the first few minutes of A Plague Tale Requiem, it very quickly impressed me more visually than Forbidden West in that it clearly looked more believable.
Consistent, natural looking assets and good lighting does wonders for convincing imagery.

To Guerillas credit, Horizon has its own look.. but it doesn't look very believable to me at all. The colors are so hot, it completely breaks the illusion of alot of the pre baked lighting.

Published in the year 1995, that is almost 28 years ago..

gtQvoix.jpg

Gran Turismo 7, this literally retailed last year.

ncvpm2J.jpg

Look at these fucking polygons sticking all out of the car dashboard. The shading in this game is so weak that materials are deadass getting drowned in straight pitch black shades, that is absolutely ass.

Sure, some aspects of Toy Story look better than the games we have today but you can't argue that overall games now look a lot better than Toy Story 1995.
At a viewing glance, I agree. If I look offscreen on my monitor retail games overall look better than Toy Story until I actually focused my view, that's when the rendering completely falls apart from polygon edges all over the place, aliasing, pixel flickering, materials unresponsive to the environment, weak shadow draws in the distance ect.

E-Cat

I mean, ff16 should have a tragic, adult story and they all look like fashion models or dolls, not sure how that artstyle help selling that type of story tbh.

If they also emote like dolls is gonna be hard to take them seriously during the more emotional bits.
They look more like generic Western males than dolls, at least compared to Nomura designs.

SlimySnake

gtQvoix.jpg

ncvpm2J.jpg

Look at these fucking polygons sticking all out of the car dashboard. The shading in this game is so weak that materials are deadass getting drowned in straight pitch black shades, that is absolutely ass.
Runs at native 4k 100 fps though.

Games look generally better than 3d movies from the mid 90s with the only exception being how edges are treated. They look like a 4k game that has been downsampled to 480p. When you look more closely at Toy Story you will notice actually how low poly it is. Most things are just flat textures like grass. It's just smoothed out in such a way that you can't see edges to things.

Runs at native 4k 100 fps though.
Slimysnake, you're talking about GT7? All those pixels for what though?

From my experience, retail videogames really took a turn for the worst once that Intel Larrabee project got forgotten about and every developer went all in on GPUs; The original Toy Story in my opinion has a better rendering feature set for videogames when actually playing them. We were on track with these features back when the Source engine came out in 2004 - light bounce, physically modeling objects/characters and as importantly a focused on physics; You add MSAA on top of Source engine games and they still end up being more immersive when playing them compared to current retail games that look like cluttered landfill messes in its rendering features.

Last edited:

E-Cat

From my experience, retail videogames really took a turn for the worst once that Intel Larrabee project got forgotten about and every developer went all in on GPUs; The original Toy Story in my opinion has a better rendering feature set for videogames when actually playing them. We were on track with these features back when the Source engine came out in 2004 - light bounce, physically modeling objects/characters and as importantly a focused on physics; You add MSAA on top of Source engine games and they still end up being more immersive when playing them compared to current retail games that look like cluttered landfill messes in its rendering features.
Eventually path tracing will simplify the stack as rasterization is phased out. But this will still take 2-3 more generations.

SlimySnake

Yeah, Im mocking GT7.... not praising it.

To me the fact that it goes over 100 fps in its native 4k mode is a gigantic fucking waste of the GPU power. It is dumb, lazy, and unambitious. They clearly didnt bother profiling the GPU because you could add way better trees (perhaps even 3D trees Kaz!), better weather effects, reflections, and a host of other effects from this 60-75% more GPU power thats available to you. They did none of that.

I saw Mario last night. Absolutely boring, but stunning nonetheless. The level of detail in some of those mashroom kingdom shots was stunning. The lighting is godly no matter what time of day. Games still cant day time lighting right because they still cant do bounce lighting correctly. Only Horizon comes somewhat close, but its oversaturated and comes off as distracting. Ratchet in its native 4k fidelity mode runs at 50 fps WITH ray tracing. Absolutely insane waste of GPU power. Go ahead and give your levels more detail. Add better lighting effects. Add more NPCs. More everything. Stop chasing pixels and high refresh rates. No one gives a shit. Mario CG like all CG is rendered at 1080p. It looks amazing.

Eventually path tracing will simplify the stack as rasterization is phased out. But this will still take 2-3 more generations.
I actually thought that because of VR we would see a change in rendering features back to the older days but meh it's just current retail games getting visually shoehorned-in.

I remember trying VR on my desktop, I can't remember what the app is called for Steam, but it's where you can change the settings and load in saved rooms and shit. I can tell it's Valve's work especially because of the Source engine, anyway the fucking thing was crazy immersive even though I could see the visual flaws but just picking up this object physically and seeing the materials responding to light as I physically moved it with my hand shitted on anything I experienced with videogames.

I’m speaking from experience, outside of Epic Games only a very small portion of developers I remembered were able to match up with Epic’s work and understood how to use the Unreal Engine. The titles I remembered were Splinter Cell, SC Pandora Tomorrow, SC Chaos Theory, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat 11. Over the course of hardware these titles always managed extremely detailed textures, material reflections and a strong emphasis on light and shadow.

gtQvoix.jpg

ncvpm2J.jpg

Ouch ..it hurts that gt7 wasn't better graphically. Hopefully Forza delivers something more impressive.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
To my destruction bros, looky what I found. Destruction in an open world game with flying and NPCs reacting to it. What a novel concept!

Remember, Sony shut this team down.

This isn't what people mean when they say "destruction". These are breakable. Mostly wooden breakables without much weight of force of impact when manipulated.

People want to punch holes through walls and buildings and make huge ruptures in concrete. If they want to fling objects around, it's cars and other things at that level of weight.

Top Bottom