• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

I’m speaking from experience, outside of Epic Games only a very small portion of developers I remembered were able to match up with Epic’s work and understood how to use the Unreal Engine. The titles I remembered were Splinter Cell, SC Pandora Tomorrow, SC Chaos Theory, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat 11. Over the course of hardware these titles always managed extremely detailed textures, material reflections and a strong emphasis on light and shadow.
Yeah, going by the video I'd say maybe Batman came closest to one of Unreal's demo which is the Samaritan one which to me is still hella impressive to this day. The other games looked miles off of demos. I know demos are meant to showcase every single capability of the engine and will always look better than actual retail games but not miles off if that makes sense.

Alex11

This isn't what people mean when they say "destruction". These are breakable. Mostly wooden breakables without much weight of force of impact when manipulated.

People want to punch holes through walls and buildings and make huge ruptures in concrete. If they want to fling objects around, it's cars and other things at that level of weight.
Well we had all that in Red Faction from 2001 where you could alter the geometry of the levels and it affected the gameplay pretty significantly. From there it should have evolved over the years and tweaked, imagine what we would have, the level of immersion and interactivity, but all that I think is considered less important today.

Today's immersion is a show pony, graphics, cutscenes, motion capture, ray tracing, yeah it's all pretty, but IMO it's a bit shallow. That's why I understood and agreed with the praise for Zelda Breath of the Wild, even though I'm not a fan of the series and played very little of it at a friend. The level of interactivity and physics it's cool and that's where immersion should come from primarily, through gameplay.

HighPoly

Banned
Ouch ..it hurts that gt7 wasn't better graphically. Hopefully Forza delivers something more impressive.
I think you are judging by polygon only. Look at GT7 lighting, shadows, and specially the TEXTURES, reflections, GT7 is something so far ahead from Toy Story 1995.
But I understand the nostalgic effect and the geometry used in Toy Story 1995, but that happend because they didn't used ray tracing and advenced textures, the unique advanced asset used in Toy Story was polygons and geometry.

alloush

Remember this guys?

Almost 10 years later and we still don't have anything like this. Strange to think that we thought this was ingame at the time...
Here's hoping that Jedi Survivor delivers!

The world itself looks amazing, the characters' faces not so much but I like their animations and facial expressions. It does say a demo and it seems they were playing it live, I am not familiar with this game the final game didn't look like that?

CamHostage

This isn't what people mean when they say "destruction". These are breakable. Mostly wooden breakables without much weight of force of impact when manipulated....
If they want to fling objects around, it's cars and other things at that level of weight.
Er, I guess that's what people want?

But weight to a computer is just a value. You can throw around cars or even buildings easily, if the game gives you a force on those objects. Katamari Damacy let's you roll up both.

It doesn't matter how "big" a thing is (except for if it has overwhelming polygon complexity, which in the old days made "big" things seem big when they tanked the framerate if they got moved,) so long as the computer is doing the math, 1lb and 1000lb is just a number

Subtle physics or accurate physics are much more complicated, and could lead to greater gameplay opportunities.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Well we had all that in Red Faction from 2001 where you could alter the geometry of the levels and it affected the gameplay pretty significantly. From there it should have evolved over the years and tweaked, imagine what we would have, the level of immersion and interactivity, but all that I think is considered less important today.

Today's immersion is a show pony, graphics, cutscenes, motion capture, ray tracing, yeah it's all pretty, but IMO it's a bit shallow. That's why I understood and agreed with the praise for Zelda Breath of the Wild, even though I'm not a fan of the series and played very little of it at a friend. The level of interactivity and physics it's cool and that's where immersion should come from primarily, through gameplay.
My problem with BoTW is how simplistic the fundamental mechanics feel and function. Gameplay from moment to moment is important to me. The physics in BoTW feel less like a mechanic or the results of mechanical choices, but like a gimmick that doesn't feel solid to use. Just my opinion though.

H . R . 2

it's all very impressive but the engine, in my humble opinion, never looked good enough to begin with,
there's something artificial- and unnatural-looking about CRPR games. they always target photorealism but their games eventually end up looking stuck in a limbo of inconsistent stylistic and photorealistic choices
REDEngine is extremely difficult to optimise and patch, and it has more than its fair share of bugs and glitches
playing TW3 with all the frame drops and glitches was extremely unpleasant. I couldn't bring myself to finish the game even after it was patched
I had a similar experience with CP2077 and it just put me off the game

Last edited:
Remember this guys?

Almost 10 years later and we still don't have anything like this. Strange to think that we thought this was ingame at the time...

Just look at current retail games and that Star Wars 1313 demo, to even close the huge gap you need a massive jump in geometry, a more advance lighting model, cloth simulation, animating facial muscles, and more advance visual effects.

The only thing I've seen that comes technically close to the Star Wars 1313 demo is Final Fantasy 16, but that's if Square Enix is being honest about their quality in the media.

Just look at current retail games and that Star Wars 1313 demo, to even close the huge gap you need a massive jump in geometry, a more advance lighting model, cloth simulation, animating facial muscles, and more advance visual effects.

The only thing I've seen that comes technically close to the Star Wars 1313 demo is Final Fantasy 16, but that's if Square Enix is being honest about their quality in the media.
Idk what’s so impressive about this demo to you? It looks great, but it’s not anything that hasn’t been surpassed already.

Last edited:
Idk what’s so impressive about this demo to you? It looks great, but it’s not anything that hasn’t been surpassed already.

The geometry that you're showing me isn't good enough, you got objects drawing in from almost a 100 ft in front of the camera in that Jedi Fall Order video. The lighting model is also way too basic in both of these videos compared to what Star Wars 1313 is doing, every material does not respond equally to light. These games look like child's play compared to 1313.

CGNoire

Remember this guys?

Meh...as someone who was on PC at the time playing most UE3 games in 1080p 8msaa i personally never found this to look nearly as good as others felt. Same with watchdogs.

CGNoire

The world itself looks amazing, the characters' faces not so much but I like their animations and facial expressions. It does say a demo and it seems they were playing it live, I am not familiar with this game the final game didn't look like that?
Disney Cancelled it after buying LucasArts.

CGNoire

it's all very impressive but the engine, in my humble opinion, never looked good enough to begin with,
there's something artificial- and unnatural-looking about CRPR games. they always target photorealism but their games eventually end up looking stuck in a limbo of inconsistent stylistic and photorealistic choices
REDEngine is extremely difficult to optimise and patch, and it has more than its fair share of bugs and glitches
playing TW3 with all the frame drops and glitches was extremely unpleasant. I couldn't bring myself to finish the game even after it was patched
I had a similar experience with CP2077 and it just put me off the game
Yah when they announced they where going with there own i lnhouse engine I new it would look nothing like that amazing target render. There characters are too blocky and rigid and the character shading look artifical. I also think they kinda stink at combat. I wish Rockstar would buy the Cyberpunk brand from them and let them only do the writing for it. At least we will get a UE5 nightcity next game hopefully with flying cars and truly massive verticality next time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5 vs PS4 vs PS3 comparison. We are going back in time, Gentlemen.

FtoqOTqWIAIviZ4

PS3

oerba-yun.gif

P.S We all wondered just what the hell happened to the video game industry and here it is:

228.png

Modern devs: Fuck graphics fidelity.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

FtoqOTqWIAIviZ4

PS3

oerba-yun.gif

P.S We all wondered just what the hell happened to the video game industry and here it is:

228.png

The left pic looks like a gameplay model. It is from a specific moment. Everytime she is on screen, she uses the "hero" model.
The right pic looks like a cgi to me.

OCASM

Banned
The left pic looks like a gameplay model. It is from a specific moment. Everytime she is on screen, she uses the "hero" model.
The right pic looks like a cgi to me.
The lighting is better on the FFXVI model but both models look pretty comparable fidelity wise.

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake do you like more burning shores or path-traced cyberpunk?
hard to say, two completely different art styles and world designs.

id say they are both roughly on par but having played Cyberpunk on Psycho RT, i preferred HFW last year, and I personally dont think path tracing looks all that different from psycho. HFW has some fugly looking areas but overall id say its far more consistent than Cyberpunk which looks really average at times while exploring the world on foot, and absolutely mind blowing while driving around.

Cyberpunk = Best looking game on PC.
Horizon = Best looking game so far.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling

FtoqOTqWIAIviZ4

PS3

oerba-yun.gif

228.png

You can blame 2 parties:

1. The internet galaxy brains who spent 10 years falsely claiming that all of Square's late 2000s-mid 2010s problems came from graphical fidelity.
  2. Creative Business Unit 3, which is entirely trained on MMORPG graphics and engine design.
Multiplayer games can almost never push the technical envelope, and multiplayer focused studios are not set up to do so as a result. Beyond that, cutting edge visuals is just something that's always been a rare trait amongst rare studios. Don't expect graphical prowess out of Square Enix if it isn't a Nomura project.

Multiplayer games can almost never push the technical envelope, and multiplayer focused studios are not set up to do so as a result. Beyond that, cutting edge visuals is just something that's always been a rare trait amongst rare studios. Don't expect graphical prowess out of Square Enix if it isn't a Nomura project.
What are you even talking about?

Man where is M Musilla . At the 45 second mark and on crushes anything I've seen out there- polys, shading, visual effects.. like what.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
hard to say, two completely different art styles and world designs.

id say they are both roughly on par but having played Cyberpunk on Psycho RT, i preferred HFW last year, and I personally dont think path tracing looks all that different from psycho. HFW has some fugly looking areas but overall id say its far more consistent than Cyberpunk which looks really average at times while exploring the world on foot, and absolutely mind blowing while driving around.

Cyberpunk = Best looking game on PC.
Horizon = Best looking game so far.
WHat? CP2077 on foot looks amazing, im literally walking for hours just to see the amazing detailed city at different tod/weather. There are literally tons of video's on youtube where people are walking for hours in the game with its incredible atmosphere. And CP2077 lighting, reflections and shadows are literally generation ahead of HFW. And i agree they are both a bit inconsistent when it comes to textures and lods. For me HFW is easily the best looking console game ever, but against CP2077 it lacks some major graphical features. And ofcourse there are things better in HFW, like foliage, water rendering and the animations (in the DLC probably the clouds also). I can understand if you like the setting more in HFW, but technically CP2077 far ahead. Just imagine HFW on pc with all the RT effects like RT reflections, RT shadows and RT lighting.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's a different style but technically the lighting on the face is better and hair is better and it got that soft cg render look
they both look like they are from the same generation. if anything, the FF15 model looks better.

I have no idea why they want us to think this looks like a PS5 game.

kCRoheW.png

jvLKJA5.png

The hero lighting is completely gone from dialogue sections and you get to see just how poor this game looks during gameplay.

Final_Fantasy_XVI_-_State_of_Play_4K_-_PS5_Games.mp4_20230414_193037.425.jpg

Final_Fantasy_XVI_-_State_of_Play_4K_-_PS5_Games.mp4_20230414_193053.889.jpg

These are not PS4 quality models. This is not PS4 quality lighting. I dont know what those textures are supposed to be in the background.

I will concede that the scale of this game is massive and they probably focused on bigger battles, but modern video game techniques allow them to have highly detailed interiors which can then be adjusted outdoors with low LOD versions. I noticed that the foliage level of detail in some outdoor areas is very impressive. But the same level of detail and especially the lighting quality isnt applied to indoor areas.

ynS17fp.jpeg

I have been calling out the FF7 Rebirth devs who proudly claimed that they are keeping the same PS4 character models for the sequel they plan to charge $70 for. 4 years dev time and they wont even bother changing character models on new gen hardware? WTF is this lazy shit? To me, this is a clear developer decision. They prioritized scale over visual fidelity and thats ok, but you gotta have some fucking standards too. Your game cant look worse than your last gen game from 7 years ago.

SlimySnake

WHat? CP2077 on foot looks amazing, im literally walking for hours just to see the amazing detailed city at different tod/weather. There are literally tons of video's on youtube where people are walking for hours in the game with its incredible atmosphere. And CP2077 lighting, reflections and shadows are literally generation ahead of HFW. And i agree they are both a bit inconsistent when it comes to textures and lods. For me HFW is easily the best looking console game ever, but against CP2077 it lacks some mayor graphical features. And ofcourse there are things better in HFW, like foliage, water rendering and the animations (in the DLC probably the clouds also). I can understand if you like the setting more in HFW, but technically CP2077 far ahead. Just imagine HFW on pc with all the RT effects like RT reflections, RT shadows and RT lighting.
Technically, if you count RT then yes, Cyberpunk is clearly more technologically advanced even before it got the overdrive path tracing update. I just think a game's visual fidelity is more than just its tech. As soon as I step out the car, I start noticing just how robotic the NPCs move. Just how terrible they look. RDR2,Horizon and even some AC games have far better NPC animations. They completely take me out of the game.

A lot of the alleys and indoor areas are just poorly lit and no amount of path tracing can help them look good. But again, thats on the art direction, not the engine or the tech which is clearly more advanced.

What their artists nailed is the high rise citiscapes which is why the game looks so amazing just as soon as you look up or ride around in a car.

Regardless, its just minor complaints. We are talking about what I consider to be the best looking PC game of all time. I just think its lacking in those areas and HFW feels a lot more polished.

EDIT: I just remember that I took this screenshot a couple of days ago to show off the differences between standard rasterization and path tracing. I just dont like how areas like this look in the game. Everything is technically sound here. it has a lot of details. great reflections but i just find it very mediocre looking. In comparison, i think RDR2 is far more consistent.

FtjzQa7WcAM8zzn

Last edited:
9AZ8188.png

In that shot alone what retail game has a lighting model where a light source has this kind of impact on this many different materials in a scene? I've never seen this.

Even the character model's teeth has accurate reflections from the light source.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Technically, if you count RT then yes, Cyberpunk is clearly more technologically advanced even before it got the overdrive path tracing update. I just think a game's visual fidelity is more than just its tech. As soon as I step out the car, I start noticing just how robotic the NPCs move. Just how terrible they look. RDR2,Horizon and even some AC games have far better NPC animations. They completely take me out of the game.

A lot of the alleys and indoor areas are just poorly lit and no amount of path tracing can help them look good. But again, thats on the art direction, not the engine or the tech which is clearly more advanced.

What their artists nailed is the high rise citiscapes which is why the game looks so amazing just as soon as you look up or ride around in a car.

Regardless, its just minor complaints. We are talking about what I consider to be the best looking PC game of all time. I just think its lacking in those areas and HFW feels a lot more polished.

EDIT: I just remember that I took this screenshot a couple of days ago to show off the differences between standard rasterization and path tracing. I just dont like how areas like this look in the game. Everything is technically sound here. it has a lot of details. great reflections but i just find it very mediocre looking. In comparison, i think RDR2 is far more consistent.

FtjzQa7WcAM8zzn
Both of them are literally the best looking games right now, and yet they are soo different in design and art. I think you like the settings more of HFW which is why you prefer it over CP2077. Because CP2077 nails the setting and atmosphere of what its aiming for. And when it comes to animation of the npc's i fully agree with you on that. But RT would really fix up some lacking aspect of HFW, like here
Notice how the shadows are missing
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230414184451.png

Or here notice how the lighting is completely incorrect
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230412202430.png

Just like the effects and other dynamic things that aren't lit properly
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230412202416.png

SlimySnake

Both of them are literally the best looking games right now, and yet they are soo different in design and art. I think you like the settings more of HFW which is why you prefer it over CP2077. Because CP2077 nails the setting and atmosphere of what its aiming for. And when it comes to animation of the npc's i fully agree with you on that. But RT would really fix up some lacking aspect of HFW, like here
Notice how the shadows are missing
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230414184451.png

Or here notice how the lighting is completely incorrect
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230412202430.png

Just like the effects and other dynamic things that aren't lit properly
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20230412202416.png
yeah HFW can look really rough in some spots. It would be curious to see if the PC version implements ray tracing.

Turk1993

yeah HFW can look really rough in some spots. It would be curious to see if the PC version implements ray tracing.
I would hope so, Sony studio's have been great with pc ports (outside ND lol). They literally support everything from RT, DLSS, FSR, Dual sense and all the other extras. Its already impressive how good it looks giving its cross gen nature, with RT it would look even better.

GymWolf

Gold Member
WHat? CP2077 on foot looks amazing, im literally walking for hours just to see the amazing detailed city at different tod/weather. There are literally tons of video's on youtube where people are walking for hours in the game with its incredible atmosphere. And CP2077 lighting, reflections and shadows are literally generation ahead of HFW. And i agree they are both a bit inconsistent when it comes to textures and lods. For me HFW is easily the best looking console game ever, but against CP2077 it lacks some major graphical features. And ofcourse there are things better in HFW, like foliage, water rendering and the animations (in the DLC probably the clouds also). I can understand if you like the setting more in HFW, but technically CP2077 far ahead. Just imagine HFW on pc with all the RT effects like RT reflections, RT shadows and RT lighting.
I think hfw also gets the edge on character models overall quality (way more even all around) and enemy models (robots vs robots)

The average throw away npc with 1 line of dialogue is at least as detailed (if not more) as the most detailed character in cyberpunk.

I know that in the path traced topic there is that very impressive pic of jackie coming out of the shadow, but that is super cherry picked to perfection, 99% of times, characters don't look as good as that pic.

You know what, i wasn't going to even bother with downloading cyberpunk again to try this new patch, but fuck it, i'm curious now if even slimy is impressed.

With a 4080 i should be able to do 4k30 if i tone down other settings, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom