• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

Opiate

Thematic elements were often heavy handed, and the dialogue often trite. However, the cinematography was fantastic and the visuals were spectacular.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thematic elements were often heavy handed, and the dialogue often trite. However, the cinematography was fantastic and the visuals were spectacular.

Not quite sure how the dialogue was trite as she was either just talking to herself or to Kowalski (and that was just in the beginning). I thought the thematic elements were a good mix of obvious and subtle. Movies appeal to more people that way.

Maybe it was the 3D IMax but this was the best theater experience I've had in probably the past 15yrs. It helped that the crowd was just tremendous and when the the movie went into the 'deafeningly silent' moments you couldn't even hear people eating or moving for their food. The silence was total and it was awesome.

Definitely, by far, movie of the year for me.

Opiate

Not quite sure how the dialogue was trite as she was either just talking to herself or to Kowalski (and that was just in the beginning).

Just as a simple example, the discussion of her family status with Kowalski is the sort of thing that almost certainly would have been discussed long before. At this point, they've been working together for months in close quarters. There are other, more spoiler-y examples.

thought the thematic elements were a good mix of obvious and subtle. Movies appeal to more people that way.

I'm not interested in movies being popular (or unpopular). I'm interested in them being intellectually sophisticated. I am fine if that requires a lower budget.

This does not mean I did not like the movie; as stated, I did. But "it's a good movie" does not mean it had no flaws. Very few films are so well made as to be practically above criticism, and this isn't one of them.

Just as a simple example, the discussion of her family status with Kowalski is the sort of thing that almost certainly would have been discussed long before. At this point, they've been working together for months in close quarters.

Naw, I have worked in close quarters with people for long periods of times and not spoken about my personal life.
Who is to say that she didn't have a closer relationship to some of the other crew members?

Kowalski struck me as the been there, done that captain, who might use charm to endear himself to others but not get in close, in terms of the fine details of someone's life.

It seems that in that moment, he was trying to get at something personal to inspire her, give her hope, keep her forging ahead. Keep her mind off the current circumstances, if you will. I don't think he was ready for what he actually found once he started digging.

Saw it last night, loved every single minute of it except the
woof woof i'm a dog
part, Jesus that was horrible.

I somewhat agree, that part was a bit annoying, but
you have to remember that she was suffering from a lack of oxygen, food, and water not to mention being physically exhausted and coming to terms with her own mortality. She was basically losing it mentally-speaking and was having psychotic hallucinations. I would be doing crazier things than that if I were in her condition.
That's my take on it, anyway.

Naw, I have worked in close quarters with people for long periods of times and not spoken about my personal life.
Who is to say that she didn't have a closer relationship to some of the other crew members?

Kowalski struck me as the been there, done that captain, who might use charm to endear himself to others but not get in close, in terms of the fine details of someone's life.

It seems that in that moment, he was trying to get at something personal to inspire her, give her hope, keep her forging ahead. Keep her mind off the current circumstances, if you will. I don't think he was ready for what he actually found once he started digging.

Also, didn't she say early on that
this was her first trip to space? She may have only been up there for a few hours/days, we don't really know. Hell, Kowalski didn't even know how long she had trained for, so far all we know they had basically just met.

Opiate

Naw, I have worked in close quarters with people for long periods of times and not spoken about my personal life. Who is to say that she didn't have a closer relationship to some of the other crew members?

There's lots of exposition that fits this criteria: Stone's discussion of her motion sickness, for example, strikes me as the sort of thing that would have come up ages ago in training, let alone in the week in space prior. There's lots of explanatory exposition that struck me as inauthentic.

However, these are again not the best examples: Stone's
final speech, about it being an amazing ride whether she lives or dies, is a very obvious and shallow analogy

It's fine, of course. This is clearly intended to be a pop movie, and as far as pop movies go this one was excellent.

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. People hyped it up a lot so I think I was expecting more from it than I got, but what I got was really good.

It was the first movie I've ever seen that had 3D in it that I did not actually have a constant awareness of. It was like the perfect 3D immersion level. Normally I will find myself thinking "Oh that's in 3D" constantly during 3D movies.

Edit:
There's lots of exposition that fits this criteria: Stone's discussion of her motion sickness, for example, strikes me as the sort of thing that would have come up ages ago in training, let alone in the week in space prior. There's lots of explanatory exposition that struck me as inauthentic.

final speech, about it being an amazing ride whether she lives or dies, is a very obvious and shallow analogy

It's fine, of course. This is clearly intended to be a pop movie, and as far as pop movies go this one was excellent.

Eh, sometimes you just can't beat it and have to work through it. I know a former navy doctor who got constantly seasick, even though he was always on a boat.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Of course, as you said, one may find something to criticize about any movie and I have some minor criticisms of Gravity as well. In this case, I'm ok with the discussion you pointed out regarding her family status as it was necessary to set up the movie - just like allowances taken with the physics of the entire situation. Without those allowances there is no movie (well, they just die horribly without any hope of surviving).

I really like the "wooooo WOOOOOO" dialogue but agree that the part you mentioned about her speech which was a bit out of place for both the character and movie. I don't care either whether a movie is popular but I also don't need it to be presented entirely on an intellectually and emotionally complex level and my personal preference is that it works on several levels at the same time.

Mr. RHC

A spectacular movie through and through, that is clear! In Imax this movie feels quite real, I was getting a little space sick at some scenes.

I don't know a lot of scenes where 2 people or more who are at the center of a scene in the space as astronauts, but this movie really resonated with me.
Some of the lines are sooo melodramatic, but it fits the movie.

Definitely a movie I need to see again! George and Sandra scenes are sooo good!

Scarecrow

At the beginning of the movie they mention it's her first week up in space. And Clooney says not to worry about the nausea, that the first time he was up there he almost puked up his kidneys (or something to that effect).

Jimothy

Saw it in IMAX earlier and was kinda pissed it didn't take up the full screen. Anyone know why the ends of it were chopped off?

dekline

MV5BMjM0OTI0Mzc1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk3NzgzMDE@._V1_SY100_SX100_.jpg

Oozer3993

Just as a simple example, the discussion of her family status with Kowalski is the sort of thing that almost certainly would have been discussed long before. At this point, they've been working together for months in close quarters. There are other, more spoiler-y examples.

I'm not interested in movies being popular (or unpopular). I'm interested in them being intellectually sophisticated. I am fine if that requires a lower budget.

This does not mean I did not like the movie; as stated, I did. But "it's a good movie" does not mean it had no flaws. Very few films are so well made as to be practically above criticism, and this isn't one of them.

I don't think he was trying to find out anything he didn't already know. My interpretation was that he was getting her to focus on something else so she wouldn't drain oxygen as quickly or freak out and make his task more difficult.

She's not, technically, suffering from motion sickness. She's feeling the effects of space adaptation syndrome. It's basically impossible to know if one will suffer from it and how badly before actually going into space. Roughly half of all people who go into space suffer from it, but most adapt after a couple days. It is EXTREMELY dangerous for anyone on a spacewalk to feel nauseous. Vomiting in a space suit can be fatal. It is absolutely something that mission control and he fellow astronauts would monitor very closely, just as is depicted.

All this talk about Bullock has made me ponder the best female performance in a Sci-Fi.

I think it might be Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in The Abyss.

Nod to Jodie Foster.

Take that Sculli, you don't know if I have exquisite taste or what? It bothers you that I may just be dead on about a lot of things!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was in awe of most of the movie, but many things stood in the way of me truly loving it. Stuff that would probably make me not want to watch it again, but mainly because I'd be missing the sensory overload of the theater.

shit quoted the wrong post... ;o

anyways in response to the best female sci-fi performance

Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

In my opinion her performance was the best when it comes to a female lead.

Until you offer up a counter-argument, I don't see why not. Acting like Cameron's films don't offer up strong female performances is also very silly.

Ridley Scott directed Alien ;)

Kisaya

Saw this movie a few nights ago and it had me very stressed out and uncomfortable and now I hate space :(

not worth the $18 I spent too

shit quoted the wrong post... ;o

anyways in response to the best female sci-fi performance

Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

In my opinion her performance was the best when it comes to a female lead.

Ridley Scott directed Alien ;)

Whilst I may prefer Alien to Aliens, Weaver's performance in Aliens outclasses her performance in Scott's film tenfold.

Don't get why people are mad at Tyson's tweets. I found that and the nasa reviews more interesting than other opinions in this case since I was very interested in how the debris and orbit would actually react

And they all enjoyed it aside from their nitpicking (which is understandable considering how much they know about the field)

Aselith

Don't get why people are mad at Tyson's tweets. I found that and the nasa reviews more interesting than other opinions in this case since I was very interested in how the debris and orbit would actually react

And they all enjoyed it aside from their nitpicking (which is understandable considering how much they know about the field)

Seems because they are incredibly spoilery.

TDK, Avatar and especially lotr had greater or equal first time reactions for me though. This is definitely among them

It's definitely among them.

But my god I can't wait for December 2016.

Next year IMAX's around the world are upgrading to the new Kodak digital laser projection systems. Seeing Cameron try to top the wow-factor of the first film with HFR 3D on a big IMAX-sized screen is going to be fucking bonkers.

Globox_82

Banned
Ok I want to watch this movie, but I just know it is going to suck (my taste in movies).
I just can't see how it can be so "amazing". If it is visuals, I don't give a shit about that.

Is there really a catch when it comes to story, something mindblowing?

Please give me a reason to watch this.

BTW no
big
spoilers

I would humbly suggest that your high opinion of your own critical review will inevitably lead to a general sense of dissatisfaction with the majority of art you'll encounter in your life.

I personally can't recall a more satisfying movie theater experience in the last 10 years. I can't understand the need to inform others that the almost universally loved film that they are gushing about isn't nearly as good as they think it is. It reeks of superiority, which really doesn't have a place in such subjective areas.

Ok I want to watch this movie, but I just know it is going to suck (my taste in movies).
I just can't see how it can be so "amazing". If it is visuals, I don't give a shit about that.

Is there really a catch when it comes to story, something mindblowing?

Please give me a reason to watch this.

BTW no
big
spoilers

It has incredible pacing and sustained, ramping tension for well over an hour - something few films outside of Aliens have managed to do.

Top Bottom