• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

And your point was made long ago. Congratulations on going against the grain. As a prize I offer you this collective hand bowl. I applaud you for having the courage and bravery to be wrong about everything :p

We're done here. I'm not interested in you continually not backing up your opinion with anything.

Well i'm not wrong nor am I right. It is my opinion... Didn't you just say yourself that the story was the weakest part?

Alphahawk

Why are we having a big debate over the merits of story? It's a movie about two people fuckin stranded in space: not a whole lot to tell.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If anything, there's TOO much story. Cut out all the melodrama, the tragic backstories, the huge overbearing music, the monologues. There's a much quieter version of this movie that's even better, that doesn't pretend that Bullock's character is interesting.
This is my problem with it too. I could have seen this as a silent film in the last half, but overall this movie was a lot more conventional than I guess I wanted it to be.

huxley00

Drive is excellent, this film is excellent. I'm going to talk to other people about how excellent I think these films are. It's not my problem that people cannot maintain realistic expectations.

I went into this movie ready to hate on it. The first ten minutes, I was saying "I just don't see how this can live up to expectation, how great can it be". Then I saw it and it met all those expectations and surpassed them to be honest.

huxley00

Well i'm not wrong nor am I right. It is my opinion... Didn't you just say yourself that the story was the weakest part?

I mean...you did say the visuals were average. That is simply not true, you are incorrect in that part whether that is your opinion or not...its simply false.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really dig this one:
tumblr_mudnmxExOt1qej1i6o6_500.jpg

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just came back from watching this in Imax 3D and all I have to say is..... Wow

This movie alone will make my 3DTV worth it.

Fey

Banned
You guys are turning this movie into Drive all over again. Over-hyping it beyond reality; ruining the experience for would-be moviegoers.

If you haven't yet seen this movie, stop reading right now. Just stop. It's good enough to be worth your money, so just go see it and enjoy it on your own with moderated expectations.

Yup. I came back from watching it a few hours ago, and am reading through this thread now and am GLAD I ignored it beforehand. I would either go in with the highest expectations, or expect it to be overhyped and disappointing.

Drive is a crap film, this is a really fun ride. I wonder how it will translate to home release though. Will I think less of the film then? I really enjoyed watching it in theatres but I feel like it won't be so great when I eventually watch it on bluray

Yup. I came back from watching it a few hours ago, and am reading through this thread now and am GLAD I ignored it beforehand. I would either go in with the highest expectations, or expect it to be overhyped and disappointing.

I went in with 98% RT score expectations and I thought it mostly delivered.

I do think Drive was extremely overrated though.

Loofy

Watched it in Imax 3D.

Thought it sucked. Not really sure what people thought was so interesting. Its like they took that one spacewalk scene in Sunshine and made a whole movie of it. And whats with the gratuitous use of epic music. They could of had a scene of george clooney pooping and the violins would come up.

"I was driving when they called... so now thats all I do.. drive."

Yuripaw

Banned
Anyway, as mentioned, I generally liked the movie, but I think I walked away adoring Sandra Bullock more than I ever have since maybe Speed.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. This movie had a lot going for it, but I couldn't help but think she was breathtaking in parts of this movie
especially when she took off her space suit

rexor0717

Just got back, really enjoyed this. It was beautiful to watch, and I liked the simple story. After having watched the anime "Space Brothers" recently, some of this movie felt familiar.

BJK

Driving back from the theater in the dark....I felt a little bit of rotational vertigo.

I was that pulled in by this movie (in 3D, of course).

Can't remember having that kind of experience watching a movie before; it is both captivating and horrifying at the same time.

jtb

Banned
what's with all the Drive comparisons? that's very far from the first movie I would have thought of after seeing Gravity...

what's with all the Drive comparisons? that's very far from the first movie I would have thought of after seeing Gravity...

George Clooney was in Ocean's Eleven with Brad Pitt.

Brad Pitt is in Inglourious Basterds with Michael Fassbender.

Michael Fassbender is in Shame with Carey Mulligan.

Carey Mulligan doesn't know how to Drive!

i eagerly await this director's next film. on second watch I think i'm more enamored with this than children of men. simply because of the setting itself. it's an adventure film in space rather than an adventure film in post-apocalyptic earth.

also they need to re-release that hubble 3D movie for imax NOW.

btw what's with this director and
dead kid subplots? 2 in a row now brah

Draconian

Watched it in Imax 3D.

Thought it sucked. Not really sure what people thought was so interesting. Its like they took that one spacewalk scene in Sunshine and made a whole movie of it. And whats with the gratuitous use of epic music. They could of had a scene of george clooney pooping and the violins would come up.

"I was driving when they called... so now thats all I do.. drive."

Oh give me a break.

Mdk7

Watched it yesterday, it blew me away.
By far the best movie of 2013, and probably of the last 4/5 years.
A true instant classic, it's unbelievably good.

I even liked the 3D, lol.

Kevtones

Visuals. Plotting flaws. Romantic existentialism.

Good film, didn't pull me forward aside from the take and the aesthetic. The performances were good but the dialogue was inconsistent/front-center.

100% worth your money.

deleted

The movie let me down a bit.

Very interesting visuals and direction but the movie would have been so much better as a drama without all the action. The catastrophe at the start would have been enough and the following journey could have stood on its own, but the constant recurring disasters and mishaps don't benefit the movie.

Soundtrack was too offensive too. Clooney was Danny Ocean in space. Bullock had her moments, but couln'd carry the movie. Religious motives weren't suptle at all.

Not what I expected and not that interesting. Children of Men was so much better. I also liked the 3D better in Prometheus. The beginning of the movie promised something awesome though.

George Clooney is a modern day James Stewart. Either you like his charming persona, or you don't. He's cast in roles because that's exactly what the director wants so I have no problems with his performances tbh.

When they cast george clooney as some weasely serial killer with mommy issues and he turns out another Danny Ocean is when we can start calling him a crap actor.

edit: your complaints are all fine except to say Bullock couldn't carry the movie...nah man. she did very well with it all on her shoulders. I was worried she didn't have it in her but she proved me wrong.

Saw this last weekend. Came in knowing almost nothing about the movie and no expectations at all.

Was blown away. Beautiful visuals, simple story, nothing too ridiculous plot-wise which is nice. The movie is very tense largely because not too much happens that is over the top, although there are a couple moments that seemed too unlikely (Hollywood seems unable to make movies without dramatizing everything).

deleted

George Clooney is a modern day James Stewart. Either you like his charming persona, or you don't. He's cast in roles because that's exactly what the director wants so I have no problems with his performances tbh.

When they cast george clooney as some weasely serial killer with mommy issues and he turns out another Danny Ocean is when we can start calling him a crap actor.

edit: your complaints are all fine except to say Bullock couldn't carry the movie...nah man. she did very well with it all on her shoulders. I was worried she didn't have it in her but she proved me wrong.

He was emotionally distant, which he isn't in other roles. I usually like him, but he should respond appropriate to the situation. He was just too cool in a certain scene. A few nuances of panic or regret would have solved that.

Ehhhhhh...wut?

Also, I wouldn't call those recurring disasters. Everything is the result of the original disaster...the debris field.

From never been to church, doesn't know how to pray to 'seeing my daughter again' to 'Thank you'. I would not have had a problem with that one, if the character was religious all the time.

Yeah, but was the field really needed that many times? Once, to get stuff going would have sufficed. After that it was a constant reminder that logic wasn't the biggest priority in the movie. And while it provided some nice visuals, it tried to build up tension when there was already more than enough. It distracted from the characters, from the obstacles they had to overcome. It was just too much - and didn't make a lot of sense in the end.

Why is the debris field not always on the same hight? It's not a killer that's following Sandra Bullock. Otherwise why did it not affect the station 90 min before, but only when she was on it?

Clive Owen is like the british george clooney. too bad his career just completely faded. making a movie with jason statham? fuck that.

closer is such a dope film.

strata8

Why is the debris field not always on the same hight? It's not a killer that's following Sandra Bullock. Otherwise why did it not affect the station 90 min before, but only when she was on it?

The simplest explanation for this is the debris field growing in size as it circled the earth and impacted other objects. So it only partially damaged the ISS the first time round (Soyuz parachute, sparks/fire in station, etc) but destroyed it the second time.

deleted

The simplest explanation for this is the debris field growing in size as it circled the earth and impacted other objects. So it only partially damaged the ISS the first time round (Soyuz parachute, sparks/fire in station, etc) but destroyed it the second time.
Yeah, makes sense if you think about it that way, but it's pretty far fetched imo. The storm devastated the shuttle, but only caused minor damage to the station? The O2 supply was intact, while one small part of debris should already provided fatal damage.

Jimothy

Driving back from the theater in the dark....I felt a little bit of rotational vertigo.

I was that pulled in by this movie (in 3D, of course).

Can't remember having that kind of experience watching a movie before; it is both captivating and horrifying at the same time.
I had trouble standing up when the movie ended. It almost felt like stepping off a boat and still feeling the movement of the waves. Pretty weird sensation.

coldfoot

Banned
Just saw this in Real3D yesterday. Movie of the year for me. The newly opened Starplex theater I saw had huge motorized reclining chairs, I'm always going to that place from now on for movies.

Also, what is the benefit of IMAX for a movie like this (wasn't shot in IMAX) if you sit close to the screen in your standard digital Real3D theater with a nice sound system that they have no problem cranking it up?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Was anyone else picturing Jeff Goldblum as Matt? I know I was.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Was anyone else picturing Jeff Goldblum as Matt? I know I was.

No, although I could definitely see their first choice of RDJ in the role. But Clooney was great in it so I'm glad it worked out.

What I can't see is Angelina Jolie as the main. I just can't imagine how that would have been better than Bullock. I certainly can't see Portman in it, she would not have fit at all IMHO.

In the end, I think it's a better movie for having Bullock and Clooney in it together.

Top Bottom