• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

coldfoot

Banned
I've seen complaints about religion, I don't see where. Only thing I remember is how she says, no one taught her religion, how is this forcing religion on a sci-fi movie? I honestly don't see it. That speech was about being alone and distant from people...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No, although I could definitely see their first choice of RDJ in the role. But Clooney was great in it so I'm glad it worked out.

What I can't see is Angelina Jolie as the main. I just can't imagine how that would have been better than Bullock. I certainly can't see Portman in it, she would not have fit at all IMHO.

In the end, I think it's a better movie for having Bullock and Clooney in it together.
I was sorta joking about Goldblum (not really though, he would've been great), but out of all the actresses I would've like to have seen Rebecca Hall. Probably too young but would have been interesting.

Kraftwerk

Saw it last night. Incredibly entertaining and stunning visuals.

Love how the main theme of the movie was letting go. She starts out by her clinging on to everything, and in the end she has to cut the parachute to set herself free. So good.

Simple and effective.

Loved the ending too. How she crawls out of the water with the epic tribal music, as if she is one of the first organism to do so millions of years ago.

DAT FOOT STOMP

100% worth the money. Love unique and original movies such as this.

Iceman

Love how the main theme of the movie was letting go. She starts out by her clinging on to everything, and in the end she has to cut the parachute to set herself free. So good.

Simple and effective,

Dang it. That's a good assessment. Thanks for that. Will help motivate me to scrounge up another $20 for a rewatch.

Gertso

Neo Member
The movie let me down a bit.

Very interesting visuals and direction but the movie would have been so much better as a drama without all the action. The catastrophe at the start would have been enough and the following journey could have stood on its own, but the constant recurring disasters and mishaps don't benefit the movie.

Soundtrack was too offensive too. Clooney was Danny Ocean in space. Bullock had her moments, but couln'd carry the movie. Religious motives weren't suptle at all.

Not what I expected and not that interesting. Children of Men was so much better. I also liked the 3D better in Prometheus. The beginning of the movie promised something awesome though.

CoM was way way way more in your face with the religious stuff.

Naked Lunch

Just saw this in 3D.
One of the best movies ever. Stunning and unlike anything else ever made.
Cuaron might be the best director ever too.

Saw it last night. Absolutely incredible film. Emotional and intense. Caught myself holding my breath a couple times. And those visuals, damn. Very impressive; couldn't recommend it highly enough.

TTG

Just saw it, in 3D too(thanks for the recommendation gaf). I enjoyed it, well worth seeing, but not an all time great. It's a bit like the first game from a studio on a new generation of hardware or a demo for said hardware. A spectacle, technically awesome and I'm not saying that to contrast some weakness aesthetically, it's beautiful too. But, there's not much else to go on.

The first half hour is especially beautiful. How long did that first shot last? It felt like a good 10 minutes or something before I noticed the camera cut away. Good stuff.

fleck0

Saw this in D-Box tonight, mindblowing. The scenes when the camera goes to first person as she floats around may as well have been an amusement park ride.

bud

magnificent film even though it has its fault (didn't really like the script at times). when i was a kid, i wanted to be an astronaut, but i've always afraid of the very things that happen in this film.

it's a technical master piece. a lot of it didn't even look like cg. this'll age a lot better than avatar.

jambo

Just got back from seeing it tonight in 3D.

I still don't understand how it looks as good as it did.

Breathtaking.

I think I held my breath for the entire
re-entry
sequence.

This movie.

THIS FUCKING MOVIE.

Loved it. What a damn spectacle and experience. IMAX 3D is probably the closest I'll get to feeling like I'm in space in my lifetime.

I didn't get a lot of the tension everybody had.
Everything in the movie was too convenient. How close all her destinations were. How she'd grab on to something at the last possible second. And also things would just go bad for the sake of going bad: the fire, the parachute, oh of course here comes more debri.
The drama of it all just didn't feel real enough outside of the beginning. It seemed to much like a movie and wasn't believable enough for me.

With that being said, I did enjoy it and really liked the visuals. I have been wanting a space movie like this. Now I just want a better one

JPodz

Banned

Simple and effective.

100% worth the money. Love unique and original movies such as this.

Dang it. That's a good assessment. Thanks for that. Will help motivate me to scrounge up another $20 for a rewatch.

Really? There's specific dialogue
That mentions letting go. I wouldnt say that assessment is much of a reach at all. It's pretty much spelled out in the first 20 minutes.

strata8

I didn't get a lot of the tension everybody had.
Everything in the movie was too convenient. How close all her destinations were. How she'd grab on to something at the last possible second. And also things would just go bad for the sake of going bad: the fire, the parachute, oh of course here comes more debri.
The drama of it all just didn't feel real enough outside of the beginning. It seemed to much like a movie and wasn't believable enough for me.

With that being said, I did enjoy it and really liked the visuals. I have been wanting a space movie like this. Now I just want a better one
Eh, I'm not really sure if you can have realistic drama in space and still call it a thriller. Sustained tension is a big part of the genre and things going bad for the sake of going bad is key to that.

Raptor

Clive Owen is like the british george clooney. too bad his career just completely faded. making a movie with jason statham? fuck that.

closer is such a dope film.

Clive Owen is incredible, that part in Closer where he says "Cupid?, he's our joke!" god damn I could feel it too.

:)

Well, I went and saw it last night in 3D and enjoyed it in 3D. I was eating some some popcorn and my glasses got greasy but besides that I felt this was the first movie to benefit from 3D. As far as the movie goes, cinematography was outstanding, truly a highpoint in film history. The story was decent enough though nothing special. How everything happened seemed just a little too convenient and the scenes with Sandra talking to herself were near cringe worthy. Besides that, the movie was fantastic. I will be buying the blu ray on release.

The most visceral time I have had in a theater in a long time. Borderline masterpiece. The use of the camera was unlike anything I have seen before it. I can't even remember a cut or camera change. Just amazing.

I've seen it twice now, once in IMAX, both times in 3D. Of all the glorious moments, Sandra Bullock woofing like a dog over the air to a Chinese stranger is the most beautiful to me. That moment is just like, so human.

Jimothy

I've seen it twice now, once in IMAX, both times in 3D. Of all the glorious moments, Sandra Bullock woofing like a dog over the air to a Chinese stranger is the most beautiful to me. That moment is just like, so human.
Agreed. Anyone who hates that scene has probably never owned a dog. I used to howl along with my dogs as a kid so it was incredibly touching to me, and like you said, human.

I agree completely, and I've never been a fan of hers. Her win for The Blind Side was egregious. But that moment with the phone call and her monologue near the end, where she is just screaming and totally alive and in the moment, brilliant acting.

I actually have a new found respect for her.

The movie let me down a bit.

Very interesting visuals and direction but the movie would have been so much better as a drama without all the action. The catastrophe at the start would have been enough and the following journey could have stood on its own, but the constant recurring disasters and mishaps don't benefit the movie.

Soundtrack was too offensive too. Clooney was Danny Ocean in space. Bullock had her moments, but couln'd carry the movie. Religious motives weren't suptle at all.

Not what I expected and not that interesting. Children of Men was so much better. I also liked the 3D better in Prometheus. The beginning of the movie promised something awesome though.

Please, the action scenes were fucking incredible. Personally, i loved the music. The end theme with the chanting I can do without but the music during the action scenes was bad-ass. Imax 3D the way to go

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just got back from my 2nd viewing, this time in true Imax. Just staggering. The tension was still there because of the overwhelming visuals and sound. Goddamn.

Top Bottom