• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

Toa TAK

Banned
Please, the action scenes were fucking incredible. Personally, i loved the music. The end theme with the chanting I can do without but the music during the action scenes was bad-ass. Imax 3D the way to go

No way, that was perfect. For me at least.
It just seemed right with her coming out of the water to see the lush green landscape like that after she stands upright.

WB had a lot of story suggestions for Cuaron when making the film (spoilers):
http://io9.com/all-the-ways-hollywood-tried-to-ruin-gravity-1442130153

Interesting. Glad he did it his way, reading the full interview now...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I can't think of another movie that will lose as much at home. People that pass on the big screen will wonder what the big deal was.

What impressed me about the film is:

Despite how certain I was going in that she was going to survive I often felt like any given on screen moment was going to be the end of her. And though the ending theme and walk out of water was kind of cheeseopera, after CoM i don't blame Cuaron having a uplifting ending

I can't imagine seeing it anywhere other than Imax 3d, if only because the sound design is so good.
Right from the whole opening sequence, that woooosh bass during the title card to absolute silence and slowly fading in quiet dialogue was wonderful.

I can't think of another movie that will lose as much at home. People that pass on the big screen will wonder what the big deal was.

I was thinking this exact thing on the way home. Just saw it for my first time and will be going at least once more in theaters. It'll never be as good as it was in IMAX 3D.

Also, is there a more beautiful shot than
Bullock coming out of the space suit and curling into the fetal position and just floating there with all the cords around her? Such an incredible shot, really nailed the "rebirth" theme.

Ashhong

Best transition from studio screen to movie since Sunshine's FOX Searchlight -> Sun transition.

Sorry, can't stop comparing the two movies. I love them both so much. Such beautiful space spectacles. This is exactly how I thought Sunshine's third act would be like. A mix of those 2 movies would make me so happy.

Jimothy

Best transition from studio screen to movie since Sunshine's FOX Searchlight -> Sun transition.

Sorry, can't stop comparing the two movies. I love them both so much. Such beautiful space spectacles. This is exactly how I thought Sunshine's third act would be like. A mix of those 2 movies would make me so happy.

Gravity doesn't completely shit itself during the last act though...

Saw it last night, trying find when I'm going to see it again.

Absolutely amazing experience, maybe the best visuals I've ever seen. Incredible stuff.

jambo

He was emotionally distant, which he isn't in other roles. I usually like him, but he should respond appropriate to the situation. He was just too cool in a certain scene. A few nuances of panic or regret would have solved that.

Neil Degrasee Tyson said that he thought Clooney was spot on. He knows a bunch of astronaut veterans who are exactly that cool and calm in tense situations. It's what they're trained for.

Yeah, but was the field really needed that many times? Once, to get stuff going would have sufficed. After that it was a constant reminder that logic wasn't the biggest priority in the movie. And while it provided some nice visuals, it tried to build up tension when there was already more than enough. It distracted from the characters, from the obstacles they had to overcome. It was just too much - and didn't make a lot of sense in the end.

At that heigh the debris field was perfect, it would actually come around every 90 minutes. I thought the tension levels were just right, had me on the edge of my seat and my leg hopping up and down for most of the film.

Why is the debris field not always on the same hight? It's not a killer that's following Sandra Bullock. Otherwise why did it not affect the station 90 min before, but only when she was on it?

It's a cascading scenario, so it gets bigger and bigger each time. Obviously the second time it comes around it's a lot bigger as more and more satellites had been hit and dragged along.

Ikael

I saw this on a 3D Imax. I... I just... can't...

- This film is monumental, historical, even. It puts some seriously revolutionary cincematographic ideas into practice that will be copied and imitated in the future no doubt. The opening 15 minutes sequence, the orbital cameras, the masterful use of 3D, the sound design, the emphasis on inmersion and first person perspective, one of the few "from videogame to cinema" influences that I think that has benefitted movies. Gravity will be studied in film schools, mark my words.

- This does not means that this movie is beyond reproach, for it has its weakness, mainly its script, but seriously, It is irrelevant on the big scheme of things. There are certain movies where the script must be done masterfully in order to work. This is simply not one of them. It could have been mute, for its most part, and it would have mattered little. Nasa speak, and people getting into stress situations doesn't bode for a much compelling dialoge, me thinks.

- This movie reminds me a bit of Ico. Its plot is simplistic, its dialoge almost non-existant and corny and times, and its message is a very straightfoward one: people finding the will to live, not to merely keeping theirselves alive by inertia. But this is a case where the storytelling superceeds the message. I do not share, whoever, the notion that there was some kind of religious message being hamfisted. At all. It was very poetically conveyed, and it wasn't a religious, but rather a deeply humanistic message. The couple of shoots focusing into the Ortodox icon and the Buddha statue were just a reminder of how faith, on its purest form helps with this kind of situation. Hence how Cuaron shot these scenes: same angle, same situation, different religious idols. They matter little. Faith is potrayed as useful resource for survival (she has to believe that she is going to get alive from this ordeal afterall to keep herself going). But it is faith on itself and how we humans employs what matters, while its specific subject of adoration is kept irrelevant during the movie.

- When I finished it watching Gravity, on the final scene, I was overwhelmed, on a catarthic state. I looked around the theater, and both my friends and I were on curling positions, our bodies were tense, tired as if we have just been there up there in the Soyuz, fighting for our lives, with our coats over our legs, trying to shield ourselves from the cold vaccuum of the space, shaking and trembling after a movie which was less of a movie and more of a shocking experience. But we were on Earth instead. On Earth. Alive. I felt a downpour of gratitude. Of inmense, trascendental gratitude, for just being alive, on Earth, where life is possible. Yes, this is a very simple message, but damn if it was not beautifully conveyed. Thank you, Mr. Cuaron.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I saw this on a 3D Imax. I... I just... can't...

- This film is monumental, historical, even. It puts some seriously revolutionary cincematographic ideas into practice that will be copied and imitated in the future no doubt. The opening 15 minutes sequence, the orbital cameras, the masterful use of 3D, the sound design, the emphasis on inmersion and first person perspective, one of the few "from videogame to cinema" influences that I think that has benefitted movies. Gravity will be studied in film schools, mark my words.

- This does not means that this movie is beyond reproach, for it has its weakness, mainly its script, but seriously, It is irrelevant on the big scheme of things. There are certain movies where the script must be done masterfully in order to work. This is simply not one of them. It could have been mute, for its most part, and it would have mattered little. Nasa speak, and people getting into stress situations doesn't bode for a much compelling dialoge, me thinks.

- This movie reminds me a bit of Ico. Its plot is simplistic, its dialoge almost non-existant and corny and times, and its message is a very straightfoward one: people finding the will to live, not to merely keeping theirselves alive by inertia. But this is a case where the storytelling superceeds the message. I do not share, whoever, the notion that there was some kind of religious message being hamfisted. At all. It was very poetically conveyed, and it wasn't a religious, but rather a deeply humanistic message. The couple of shoots focusing into the Ortodox icon and the Buddha statue were just a reminder of how faith, on its purest form helps with this kind of situation. Hence how Cuaron shot these scenes: same angle, same situation, different religious idols. They matter little. Faith is potrayed as useful resource for survival (she has to believe that she is going to get alive from this ordeal afterall to keep herself going). But it is faith on itself and how we humans employs what matters, while its specific subject of adoration is kept irrelevant during the movie.

- When I finished it watching Gravity, on the final scene, I was overwhelmed, on a catarthic state. I looked around the theater, and both my friends and I were on curling positions, our bodies were tense, tired as if we have just been there up there in the Soyuz, fighting for our lives, with our coats over our legs, trying to shield ourselves from the cold vaccuum of the space, shaking and trembling after a movie which was less of a movie and more of a shocking experience. But we were on Earth instead. On Earth. Alive. I felt a downpour of gratitude. Of inmense, trascendental gratitude, for just being alive, on Earth, where life is possible. Yes, this is a very simple message, but damn if it was not beautifully conveyed. Thank you, Mr. Cuaron.

Yep. Agreed 100%, well said. I also felt weak in the knees after my first viewing, took me awhile to stand up again, but when I did I was just so glad to be alive. My gf felt similarly. It's just an engrossing, powerful movie.

duckroll

WB had a lot of story suggestions for Cuaron when making the film (spoilers):
http://io9.com/all-the-ways-hollywood-tried-to-ruin-gravity-1442130153

When you go into the process, yes, there are a lot of ideas. People start suggesting other stuff. "You need to cut to Houston, and see how the rescue mission goes. And there is a ticking clock with the rescue mission. You have to do flashbacks with the backstory." But we were very clear that this was the film that we wanted to make.

The whole thing of the flashbacks. A whole thing with... a romantic relationship with the Mission Control Commander, who is in love with her. All of that kind of stuff. What else? To finish with
a whole rescue helicopter, that would come and rescue her.
Stuff like that.

Lol. Where's Cloudy?!

OMG:

So while the process goes, everybody gets a little nervous. A little anxious. "Are you sure you don't need this? Are you sure we don't need to pump up the action value, like having an enemy, like a missile strike?"

Looooooooooool.

Kraftwerk

I am going to watch this again today, but not in 3D.

Not hating on the 3D in this movie, it was gorgeous. I just do not like the dark tint that i3D glasses apply to movies, and it also tires my eyes out.

You should definitely watch it the first time in IMAX 3D. No question about that.

partime

OMG, that was amazing!

It was the first time I actually forgot I was wearing 3D glasses. Wow, this movie was such a great experience, Bullock delivered.

I don't think the ending could have been more perfect. The entire movie was from Bullocks point of view, from start to finish.

Perfect.

INCEPTION also had an awesome intro along with The Matrix

He was emotionally distant, which he isn't in other roles. I usually like him, but he should respond appropriate to the situation. He was just too cool in a certain scene. A few nuances of panic or regret would have solved that.

Don't forget that Clooney's character was more comfortable in Space than on Earth. Space was his real home in his mind so it would make sense that he wouldn't panic out there in the void like most people would. He would rather die in space than to live on Earth.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WB: The action...it needs more upping.

Thank goodness the director knew better.

Let's all be thankful Warner Bros relented and allowed Cuaron to make the movie as is. Most studios would've steamrolled him.

It doesn't always work out, creatively and/or financially, but Warner Bros does ultimately put a lot of faith in their directors. At least, relative to the industry.

Kraftwerk

Let's all be thankful Warner Bros relented and allowed Cuaron to make the movie as is. Most studios would've steamrolled him.

It doesn't always work out, creatively and/or financially, but Warner Bros does ultimately put a lot of faith in their directors. At least, relative to the industry.

I heard somewhere that Cooney had a lot to do with that, no? His influence and someone told me his money is in this movie too. Not sure if any of that is true.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I heard somewhere that Cooney had a lot to do with that, no? His influence and someone told me his money is in this movie too. Not sure if any of that is true.

I'm not sure about the influence part. It's entirely possible that he stood up for the creative vision. I really haven't read a whole lot about the behind-the-scenes battle to get this made.

I don't think he had anything to do with financing the movie however. He wasn't any kind of producer on it, and I'm unaware of him having any ties to the production companies involved. All I could think of is if he sacrificed some upfront fees in exchange for backend or something like that.

Captivating cinema, this is why why I love Cuaron and why I love movies.. stuff that begs to be watched over and over again. I think I might have to make the hour trek sunday to see it in IMAX.

Saw this in imax 3d. I loved this movie. Thought bullock was really good. The look and CGI, man, so damn good. I was totally immersed. It felt like I was out there. I never once questioned anythimg looking or feeling fake. Just a great cinema experience. I look forward to cuaron's next movie. Children of men and this, loving it.

Ghazi

Watched this today, so intense! Really liked it, was soured a bit at having to pay nearly $40 (seriously, WTF) for only two tickets to 3D alone. But I can't imagine it being as immersive in 2D.

Clooney did really good in this movie.

At the end where
Bullock landed, I joked to a friend "this is where she opens her eyes and she's still in that escape pos running low on oxygen again"
I thought that was funny

iWumbo

Neo Member
finally saw this in 3D tonight- it was such an awesome experience and absolute must-see

also noteworthy (since this is GAF)- this was my first time seeing a movie in the theater by myself and for the unsure, I don't think it hampered my enjoyment at all

Vesmir

Banned
This fucking movie. Wow. Didn't notice I was holding back my breath until
the fetus scene.
Was a little hard to stand up at the end.

Sad there isn't an IMAX nearby. But yes, mandatory 3D. Those Earth shots. Wow.

Oh and the soundtrack!

Top Bottom