• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

really fun movie

script was a bit cheesy but i was definitely rooting for her to make it, so that was enough for me

not sure how it will hold up over time but it was a great universal studios ride

Raptor

I was joking. I'd say the female performances in James Cameron's movies are some of the best.

I don't know man, not the ones in Avatar, one was overdelivering, another was just lost and one was kinda of annoying, I think the one that I enjoyed the most was the Neytiri's mom delivering but I don't know what actress was that.

I don't know man, not the ones in Avatar, one was overdelivering, another was just lost and one was kinda of annoying, I think the one that I enjoyed the most was the Neytiri's mom delivering but I don't know what actress was that.

Saldana was fucking ace. If it wasn't for the misunderstanding that she didn't just voice the character, she would have gotten a nom. But yeah, she's probably on the weaker side of Cameron's women - next to Helen Tasker.

Zoe Saldana was cheesy as fuck in avatar. Impressive that cg characters can display so much emotion now but still I thought that was a wack character.

Edit: Ripley da gawd. May need to see abyss again to see how the lady in there holds up. Will skip that ending this time tho

So this movie. The script was a bit naff, but this is probably the most visually impressive film I've ever seen. I couldn't pick anything for CG, except for maybe the
fire
. I have no idea how something like this could even be made... it's awe inspiring.

Zoe Saldana was cheesy as fuck in avatar. Impressive that cg characters can display so much emotion now but still I thought that was a wack character.

Edit: Ripley da gawd. May need to see abyss again to see how the lady in there holds up. Will skip that ending this time tho

Not only is Lindsay Brigman Cameron's best female performance, it also contains Ed Harris' best performance. Mastrantonio really does knock that shit out of the park, though. To beat out Ripley is a tall order, but good god is Mastrantonio good.

VARIA

Stone's
final speech, about it being an amazing ride whether she lives or dies, is a very obvious and shallow analogy
I actually liked it [the speech], since it was a complete reversal to a previous scene where she was in tears and admitting to being scared of dying. It's as if her final fight for survival triggered a sense of accomplishment in her, instead of just letting herself die defeated.

Ok I want to watch this movie, but I just know it is going to suck (my taste in movies).
I just can't see how it can be so "amazing". If it is visuals, I don't give a shit about that.

Is there really a catch when it comes to story, something mindblowing?

Please give me a reason to watch this.

BTW no
big
spoilers

No there is really not much to it. Even the effects were average. I mean all you are seeing is the planet the whole time. That's the only thing people are getting so hyped over cuz it's "so beautiful". Well there are some pretty bad effects in there too. Anyways, really, story sucks. Movie itself for the experience I found to be not bad though. Sounds to me like you wouldn't like it that much. Dunno why people are raving about this movie. Probably just jumping on the bandwagon...

strata8

No there is really not much to it. Even the effects were average. I mean all you are seeing is the planet the whole time. That's the only thing people are getting so hyped over cuz it's "so beautiful". Well there are some pretty bad effects in there too. Anyways, really, story sucks. Movie itself for the experience I found to be not bad though. Sounds to me like you wouldn't like it that much. Dunno why people are raving about this movie. Probably just jumping on the bandwagon...

You're right. I was still emotionally drained and tense half an hour after the movie ended because it's "so beautiful" and I'm "just jumping on the bandwagon".

I get that you don't like the movie very much, but don't try and discredit the opinions of others. It makes you look like a condescending prick.

I can understand not liking the film... but the effects were average? Which effects were average? Everything looked pretty damn real to me, and I was looking for imperfections. I think it's the best CG work I've ever seen.

I wonder what above-average effects look like in your parallel universe

no doubt our bandwagon-jumping eyes can't handle them

Draconian

This thread reminds me to ask where is The Abyss Blu-ray already. It's almost as big of a crime as Munich not having one.

I wonder what above-average effects look like in your parallel universe

no doubt our bandwagon-jumping eyes can't handle them

I think his opinion is actually being influenced by his girlfriend who though the movie was "shit" and the "effects weren't that great". But I'd wager she didn't even realize half of the CG even was CG it was so good...

But, that doesn't mean not enjoying the film isn't a valid opinion. I think the film is being oversold a bit as well.

nick nacc

Banned
My only complaint of this movie is the "frog shot" everyone in the theater unanimously whispered "what the fuck?" And "who gives a shit" I think Alfonso got carried away with his long shot there or something

way more

My only complaint of this movie is the "frog shot" everyone in the theater unanimously whispered "what the fuck?" And "who gives a shit" I think Alfonso got carried away with his long shot there or something

Everyone in the theater started laughing at that moment.

Wait, only the teenagers trying to look cool did and it reminded me why I hate people who need to laugh at things in movies they don't immediately understand or feel uncomfortable about.

It is not that the atmosphere was fake looking or not any good. I mean it just doesn't seem to me like they hit a high bar. I say this because the only visuals is pretty much the earth in various shots. Basically a green screen background the whole movie. (its not like the earth moves in the background. To me it just looks like a picture in the background). It's not like movies that have actual CG action/characters/etc that are actually in motion... Then you can say well the CG sucks or it was really well done because there are a lot of aspects to it and things can look fake or out of place. Just because the visuals in this movie were beautiful doesn't mean they hit a new high, I mean it was beautiful but I wouldn't say the effects were any more than above average for a big budget film like this.... There just hasn't been many high budget films that take place in space like this one does, staring at earth the whole time. So how can we really compare to other movies that used effects in different ways. Again, yes it is beautiful, well done, but would not say it was the best effects. I mean how hard can it be to make the visuals look realistic in this compared to, just say, Star Trek? Because that movie would take place in fictional worlds and have cg characters. Point is, the visuals were nice, but I wouldn't say it was the best effects. (Maybe nicest looking as in visually beautiful). Not only that,
the dead guy
looked beyond fake that it took me right out of the movie. Now, all visual talk aside, it did make me feel like I was in space because of the technique used to film it, but I felt like that was the only point of this movie. And that part I did enjoy. I mean the story/script wasn't even good. Like I have said, I think people are overseeing the flaws of the movie due to the distinct experience.

strata8

Basically a green screen background the whole movie. (its not like the earth moves in the background. To me it just looks like a picture in the background). It's not like movies that have actual CG action/characters/etc that are actually in motion... Then you can say well the CG sucks or it was really well done because there are a lot of aspects to it and things can look fake or out of place.

Uh, well.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the external scenes are 100% CGI except for the characters' faces.

Yes, I just fail to see what about it is beyond impressive.

That's cause you're silly.

...*looks at name*

Or YOU'RE TRIPLE H'S SON FROM THE FUTURE

*Pedigree*

It's totally cool that you don't see what's beyond impressive about it. I'm sure Luzbeki and Cuaron are going to feel real bad about it while accepting the pile of technical Oscars they're probably going to get this year

Dwayne

No spoilers or anything, just want a straight response: Is it worth seeing this film in 3D (preferably from the POV of someone who thinks that sometimes it is worth seeing stuff in 3D, rather than straight up 3D haters!)

Thanks!

No spoilers or anything, just want a straight response: Is it worth seeing this film in 3D (preferably from the POV of someone who thinks that sometimes it is worth seeing stuff in 3D, rather than straight up 3D haters!)

Thanks!

This movie is a marvel in 3D. And is completely necessary.

Thanks!

I'm by no means a 3D-evangelist at all, but if any movie needs to be seen in 3D it's this one. The first film I've ever seen in 3D that I wouldn't want to go back and see in 2D if I didn't have to.

Thanks!

It is the only film I will say absolutely should be seen in 3D. It's pretty essential. The only other film I can think of that has come close to being so important is Life of Pi.

You just said that the movie doesn't feature CGI characters in motion and he just told you it does.

Yes sorry, I did mean non-realistic characters.

I mean what is impressive about all of it? Again this is just my opinion. I actually want to know what was so impressive about the effects so I can see where everyone is coming from... I don't mean to discredit anyone's opinion. I mean, to me, they just look like what a high budget film of this genre should look like.

I would also like to know what about the actual story or anything other than the visuals makes this movie such an achievement?

Jonm1010

Banned
Saw the movie Saturday and can't stop thinking about it. A simple story executed marvelously. I guess I can understand the complaints of the screenplay but frankly a story like this works best with a minimal framework.

It's the first film to actually make me feel likeim in space. Which was both awe inspiring and frightening. Can't recommend it enough to people.

I mean what is impressive about all of it? Again this is just my opinion. I actually want to know what was so impressive about the effects so I can see where everyone is coming from...

That everything looked real to me?

I didn't know where computer generated stuff ended and where real footage began. Hell I still don't know because I haven't looked it up. It was convincing enough that I was transported to space if even for a moment.

Jonm1010

Banned

I mean what is impressive about all of it? Again this is just my opinion. I actually want to know what was so impressive about the effects so I can see where everyone is coming from... I don't mean to discredit anyone's opinion. I mean, to me, they just look like what a high budget film of this genre should look like.

I would also like to know what about the actual story or anything other than the visuals makes this movie such an achievement?

I think of effects as a full package: CG, practical effects, cinematography, direction and acting. I think gravity executed every one of those incredibly well. Many good films do one or two of those things great but fail at others. Gravity managed to do all of that well above average while achieving a feat never done before(creating and executing a film that not only takes place in space but making the viewer feel like they are there) and to me managed to tell a timeless story - with themes that will be able to resonate long after the buzz dies down - and can speak to almost any type of person and age.

Very few films come along that are capable of achieving that. And frankly I think gravity will be one of the defining movies of this decade and likely this early century.

More important question - since this is practically required viewing in 3D, will Oculus Rift support 3D films like this? Because that would be incredible.

deim0s

When she rose up from the beach
, i got a Metal Gear vibe. :D

Too bad he (the director) won't revisit space again. :/

Most impressive part to me is the long takes. The first shot of the movie is something like 12-17 minutes long. I guess it might not be as impressive as similar stuff in Children of Men since it's mostly CGI but it still gives you the feeling of being in the middle of the action that you wouldn't get if the scene kept cutting

Also loved the
first person
shots

It's impressive beacause it has a verisimilitude that most cgi-driven films lack, and most space-based films lack.

Most impressive part to me is the long takes. The first shot of the movie is something like 12-17 minutes long. I guess it might not be as impressive as similar stuff in Children of Men since it's mostly CGI but it still gives you the feeling of being in the middle of the action that you wouldn't get if the scene kept cutting

Also loved the
first person
shots

Exactly. I completely agree with you. Very impressive technique. It did make me feel like I was in space as I have said. That is what I enjoyed about the film. For me it was the experience and I felt this was well executed with the use of a distinct filming technique. Although, if this film was shot like any other movie, I do not think the story would have carried it. This is because I think the experience of "feeling as I am space" is very overwhelming. Although for me, it does not guaranty the movie a complete success. Also, as many others have said, the dvd version on a regular flat screen TV will not do this movie justice. This is because it is a movie to watch for the experience, not the story. Again, my opinion on why this movie is getting the reviews it is getting.

- J - D -

I just got back from seeing this. I very much enjoyed it, with a few caveats which I'll discuss with you all later (or probably read about when I have a chance to go through this thread page-by-page).

I just wanted to ask what everyone thought about two scenes in the film that both amazed and frustrated me at the same time:

1. The
fetal position
shot. I loved the composition of this shot and how long it lingered, but I really hated the obvious symbolism.
2. The
"woof"
scene. I liked how raw and exhausted Bullock was during this scene, but did anyone else think it went on too long and came out unintentially hilarious?

Anyone else feel somewhat similar about them?

Anyway, as mentioned, I generally liked the movie, but I think I walked away adoring Sandra Bullock more than I ever have since maybe Speed.

Aselith

It is not that the atmosphere was fake looking or not any good. I mean it just doesn't seem to me like they hit a high bar. I say this because the only visuals is pretty much the earth in various shots. Basically a green screen background the whole movie. (its not like the earth moves in the background. To me it just looks like a picture in the background). It's not like movies that have actual CG action/characters/etc that are actually in motion... Then you can say well the CG sucks or it was really well done because there are a lot of aspects to it and things can look fake or out of place. Just because the visuals in this movie were beautiful doesn't mean they hit a new high, I mean it was beautiful but I wouldn't say the effects were any more than above average for a big budget film like this.... There just hasn't been many high budget films that take place in space like this one does, staring at earth the whole time. So how can we really compare to other movies that used effects in different ways. Again, yes it is beautiful, well done, but would not say it was the best effects. I mean how hard can it be to make the visuals look realistic in this compared to, just say, Star Trek? Because that movie would take place in fictional worlds and have cg characters. Point is, the visuals were nice, but I wouldn't say it was the best effects. (Maybe nicest looking as in visually beautiful). Not only that,
the dead guy
looked beyond fake that it took me right out of the movie. Now, all visual talk aside, it did make me feel like I was in space because of the technique used to film it, but I felt like that was the only point of this movie. And that part I did enjoy. I mean the story/script wasn't even good. Like I have said, I think people are overseeing the flaws of the movie due to the distinct experience.

Actually we see it in motion a lot go watch the movie again. We see lights from the ground, we see weather moving across the land, we see sunlight interacting with the earth's atmosphere.

The movie decides to forego many storytelling convention found in movies. There isn't any clear exposition shots, 3 act structure and Cuaron deciding to have many scenes to flow without any cuts. The cinematography is VERY impressive, considering that it doesn't make you nauseous, fills you in with what is happening and giving you a sense of speed, terror and scale. It isn't easy, and can easily bore you considering there's very minimal background or foreground references in some parts of the movie to remind you of the aforementioned speed and scale.

That and the SFX is amazing because it makes the movie look effortless. Sort of how you see a gymnast doing a series of backflips. It looks doable until you actually try it out yourself.

Globox_82

Banned

thank you, knew this was not for me. I never fall for "so beautiful" crap. Based on what I read on other sites story is shitty, and that's all I care about when watching a movie.

Top Bottom