• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

kiyomi

I was actually thinking of sending him a postcard. Or do you think a Twitter message in romanized Japanese but abbreviated like Gravity Rush writing would do the trick?

I wish I were a game magazine journalist; I'd love to do an interview with Toyama and ask him all about how he created this stuff. It really would make a great story; he deserves credit for this!

You could maybe be a bit cheeky and take the initiative of approaching him or his people. You definitely need to make him aware of what you've done here, maybe he will respond kindly to it :)

Personally I think what you've done is quite remarkable and you've certainly got my eternal respect!

I've yet to finish GR, but I've made it one of my games that I want to clear out soon. The platinum seems easily attainable so hopefully I can spare the time away from Persona 4 to get it done.

Dunan

You could maybe be a bit cheeky and take the initiative of approaching him or his people. You definitely need to make him aware of what you've done here, maybe he will respond kindly to it :)

I actually pass by Sony's Tokyo headquarters on my way to work every day and could even pay the guy a visit!

A Twitter message couldn't be in the Gravity alphabet and so he might just ignore it, thinking it's gibberish. OTOH, a postcard containing a bunch of seemingly-meaningless nonsense might, upon reaching Sony HQ, not get from the receptionist to his desk!

I've yet to finish GR, but I've made it one of my games that I want to clear out soon. The platinum seems easily attainable so hopefully I can spare the time away from Persona 4 to get it done.

I don't have the platinum either; I haven't really tried to get good at the challenges and only have a few golds. (When taking these on, pay careful attention to the letters inside the gold, silver, and bronze medal icons. They say GO, SL, and BR, if you haven't already noticed.)

What I really want to learn about next is what they did to create their spoken language. I have the OST and it contains the lyrics to the ending song along with a Japanese translation, and while at some points you can tell which Heksevillian words correspond to which Japanese words, it's not always clear. Whatever they did to make this language, it has to have been pretty complex.

OwlyKnees

Finally digging into this game after it being free on PS Plus, and boy, do I feel guilty. I absolutely adore it! Guess I'll buy some DLC as a show of support.

When does the DLC become available? I'm only about five hours in.

Finally digging into this game after it being free on PS Plus, and boy, do I feel guilty. I absolutely adore it! Guess I'll buy some DLC as a show of support.

When does the DLC become available? I'm only about five hours in.

Each of the three DLC packs have story markers on the map that become available at the right time, just as the regular story markers do. Maid becomes available first, then Spy, and finally Military.

OwlyKnees

Each of the three DLC packs have story markers on the map that become available at the right time, just as the regular story markers do. Maid becomes available first, then Spy, and finally Military.

That's great, thanks!

Can I complete the game and then return to those story missions? Or do they have to be done within certain episodes?

That's great, thanks!

Can I complete the game and then return to those story missions? Or do they have to be done within certain episodes?

Beyond the required amount of story progress to unlock each, there are no limitations when the DLC can be done. I did all three after finishing the main story.

Since the DLC contains reputation increases they potentially make you more powerful than you would otherwise be if you complete them before finishing the main story.

bit LTTP, but I just kind of played a straight 3 hour session. really amazing game. The gravity controls work perfectly and the combination of tilt+gravity makes this game sooo good. Its crazy good. The flying around was so fun.

felt sad for kat when
newt declared his love for echo
:(

bit LTTP, but I just kind of played a straight 3 hour session. really amazing game. The gravity controls work perfectly and the combination of tilt+gravity makes this game sooo good. Its crazy good. The flying around was so fun.

felt sad for kat when
newt declared his love for echo
:(

Don't feel bad for her, she's clearly
hooking up with Syd in the sequel.

Don't feel bad for her, she's clearly
hooking up with Syd in the sequel.

there's a sequel? I sure hope there is one. :)

just finished the game and its excellent. From the vita thread:

finished Gravity Daze. 8/10

Gravity_rush_US_cover.png

amazing game which probably could live on a console - I hope the sequel gets made and be on a console with a vita version becuase that way, more people have access to this great great game. Beautiful world/art. Gameplay with decent with combat that was a tad to easy but its all so well done -the world traversal is just.. godly. Loved my time with GD.

Achtius

Just beat the game.

so why does the mayor have a red core at the end? Is Kat the queen of nevi? Who is Alias? so many question unanswered :(

So the monthly challenge from the Vita PSN Game and Service thread is over:

Entries closed! The winner of this month's Vita Challenge is StarCreator, with a time of 00'30"73! Congrats!

I figured I might as well document what I actually did, because if I don't even I'll forget it all in a month.

I went into the challenge with maxed Gravity Fall and Gravity Kick; you need DLC to reach these levels, unfortunately. I did not use any other technique in my run.

Auldnoir Free Race, step by step:

1. Immediately out of the gate, initiate a Gravity Fall straight ahead.
  2. While falling, use the analog stick to swing the camera to the right as fast as it will go.
  3. Just after traveling a bit after the first target, perform a Gravity Kick toward it and down the entire length of the walkway. This kick, if aimed correctly, hits targets 1-3.
  4. While en route to target 3, aim the camera to the upper left a bit to bring target 4, on the wall, in view.
  5. Another Gravity Kick toward target 4 as soon as target 3 is collected. While traveling to target 4, immediately swing the camera to the lower right to bring target 5, in the bridge, to view.
  6. Target 5 should be in view as soon as target 4 is hit and Kat bounces off the wall. Immediately kick toward it. Mind the fire hydrant on the ground where the bridge begins and the lamppost to the right of the bridge entrance!
  7. If aimed exceptionally well, the same kick that triggers target 5 will also hit target 6, in the floor of the area behind the bridge. In most runs though, I had to adjust my aim with another kick (without interrupting the previous one) to not hit the ground.
  8. While en route to target 6, start swinging the camera to the upper right to find target 7, which is on a wall.
  9. Immediately kick toward target 7 after collecting target 6, at the same time again swinging the camera to the right. Target 8 is on a building on the opposite side of the gap.
  10. Kick toward target 8 immediately after hitting the wall to collect target 7. Start aiming the camera straight up; target 9 is on the same building, dead above target 8.
  11. If you trigger a loading pause just before collecting target 8, you're doing great! Kick toward target 9 as soon as you hit the wall, again. Swing the camera to the lower right, target 10 is on a signpost a few buildings down.
  12. Kick toward that sign, and immediately swing the camera straight down. Target 11 is on the ground below the signpost, a little behind.
  13. The kick should destroy the signpost and bounce you back enough to put you in perfect position to kick straight down onto target 11. Swing the camera back up, target 12 (the last one) is on the ground a little ways ahead.
  14. One last kick toward target 12 and the run is done.

So it took me forever to find this post again... first video is Auldnoir Free Race. Check out the time he gets...

holy crap, I was reading through the old gravity daze thread and someone posted this superplay video of the developer expertly playing through the challenges. now that I have the game, watching the developer play through the challenges is mindblowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahOl3Va--DE&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Ev_t4ewFU&feature=player_embedded

Dunan

From the better-late-than-never department:

I've discovered another one of Mr. Toyama's inspirations.

Back when I was first puzzling this stuff out, I thought I saw this:

...in the frame above is: SERE NELA RU FO / EMS REMEER EW / SA KOL A EKT. It sounds like a quote from somewhere: "Of our fallen heroes, we remember some. Take a look as..."

At the time it hadn't occurred to me to try reading the lines from bottom to top. Read from top to bottom, it sounds kind of poetic, but from the bottom it's much more normal: Take a look as we remember some of our fallen heroes.

Well, it sounds normal enough, but in fact that exact sentence has only, in the vast oceans of the internet, been written in but one single place.

This gameinformer.com article from April 2011:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/27/characters-that-died-under-our-watch.aspx

(I might even have read this back when it first came out! Has anyone else?)

You might be thinking that that doesn't prove anything, and that it's probably a coincidence, but read the article and pay close attention to what's just before the sentence about the fallen heroes: "As the industry's storytelling methods have progressed..."

Yes, that's right there on the map in Pleajeune too: GOP EVH SDHTM GNLLTYDT / S YRSUNI EH SA; "As the industry's storytelling methods have prog(ressed)..."

What I had thought was a T in my earlier post is in fact a V, so we now know that two of the phrases in the background of the Pleajeune map were borrowed from this same source! And it was written right when this game was being developed!

(Further speculation: in between these sentences in the Game Informer article is "we've seen several instances of a protagonist's death as a plot device". I do hope that this isn't some kind of super-subtle allusion to Kat having died before the game begins, or something like that!)

Tomodachi

From the better-late-than-never department:

I've discovered another one of Mr. Toyama's inspirations.

Back when I was first puzzling this stuff out, I thought I saw this:

At the time it hadn't occurred to me to try reading the lines from bottom to top. Read from top to bottom, it sounds kind of poetic, but from the bottom it's much more normal: Take a look as we remember some of our fallen heroes.

Well, it sounds normal enough, but in fact that exact sentence has only, in the vast oceans of the internet, been written in but one single place.

This gameinformer.com article from April 2011:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/27/characters-that-died-under-our-watch.aspx

(I might even have read this back when it first came out! Has anyone else?)

You might be thinking that that doesn't prove anything, and that it's probably a coincidence, but read the article and pay close attention to what's just before the sentence about the fallen heroes: "As the industry's storytelling methods have progressed..."

Yes, that's right there on the map in Pleajeune too: GOP EVH SDHTM GNLLTYDT / S YRSUNI EH SA; "As the industry's storytelling methods have prog(ressed)..."

What I had thought was a T in my earlier post is in fact a V, so we now know that two of the phrases in the background of the Pleajeune map were borrowed from this same source! And it was written right when this game was being developed!

(Further speculation: in between these sentences in the Game Informer article is "we've seen several instances of a protagonist's death as a plot device". I do hope that this isn't some kind of super-subtle allusion to Kat having died before the game begins, or something like that!)

Another exciting discovery Dunan! Great job!
Maybe Toyama just read this article (or had someone translate it for him :p ) and was fascinated by those quotes, putting them on maps as scribbled notes just for fun. Or maybe he was just pissed off his games weren't mentioned, since Silent Hill and the two Siren are overflowing with deaths :p

Takao

Banned
In Japan, SCE recently held a competition to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of Gravity Rush's launch. It was a fan art competition that had to be drawn via Paint Park. The winners were chosen by staff from the game. SCE uploaded a video recently.

In Japan, SCE recently held a competition to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of Gravity Rush's launch. It was a fan art competition that had to be drawn via Paint Park. The winners were chosen by staff from the game. SCE uploaded a video recently.

Thanks man, that was a good watch. Would like to see a proper slideshow of the various fan art sent in.

leroidys

I really thought that we would have a sequel announced by this point :(

I guess they're probably going to save game announcements for E3 at this point.

Just got the platinum for this. I thought it was fantastic. I will pick up a physical copy in the future and buy the DLC to show my support. Is the DLC good?

Just got the platinum for this. I thought it was fantastic. I will pick up a physical copy in the future and buy the DLC to show my support. Is the DLC good?

I think it's good. It's like some missing chapters of the story focusing on side stories. The only downside is that it's overpriced, 2 story missions and 2 challenges each.

I think it's good. It's like some missing chapters of the story focusing on side stories. The only downside is that it's overpriced, 2 story missions and 2 challenges each.
I honestly don't feel the DLC is overpriced at all. I still haven't mastered all the extra challenges, which are just over the top fun, and more story is always a good thing here.

Started to continue back on my playthrough, up to chapter 8, took some screenshots and when I viewed them I noticed they looked worser than my previous GR screens, more specifically they were more jagged, including the HUD. I believe it's just with GR as I captured the live area screen and Soul Sacrifice demo and they were fine.

Anyone else notice this or willing to try it out for themselves? My game is fully updated too.

Started to continue back on my playthrough, up to chapter 8, took some screenshots and when I viewed them I noticed they looked worser than my previous GR screens, more specifically they were more jagged, including the HUD. I believe it's just with GR as I captured the live area screen and Soul Sacrifice demo and they were fine.

Anyone else notice this or willing to try it out for themselves? My game is fully updated too.

It might depend on the shot, it's compressed after all and some images are better suited than others.

I think a patch may have effected the quality of the screen capture for this game. Hopefully it gets fixed one day because I like taking caps of GR.

I think a patch may have effected the quality of the screen capture for this game. Hopefully it gets fixed one day because I like taking caps of GR.

Might be firmware issues, I noticed last night and seen on other boards that it's broken Rayman Origins, my game will no longer start :( So quite possible that the firmware broke something else.

Bought this on launch and sadly lost my travel case with 6 other games :( Thankfully got it free from Sony due to a mess up with their replacement process on my actual Vita. Really should get around to finishing it though as what I played I really enjoyed.

I started playing this a couple of weeks ago, and so far I’m absolutely loving it. It just seems to have got every element spot-on – the visuals and art style are terrific, the combat is excellent if a little shallow, the characters and dialogue are great (Kat is lovely), Heksville is an interesting and distinct environment and the actual flying/gravity controls are so smooth. I think I’m about half way through – I’ve just defeated Alias (for the first time?) – and I’m mainly focusing on story missions at the moment, then I’ll see at the end if I’ve any enthusiasm to do the challenges. I got it for free through PS+ and I may get the DLC, as I feel like throwing some money Sony’s way for this piece of brilliance. Anyway, I’m playing it a little at night before bed, and really taking my time, and so far I’d say it’s tied with Guacamelee! As my favourite Vita game.

Really hope it sold well enough to get a sequel (I understand the director hinted as such late last year). I’ll definitely pre-order it if they do.

leroidys

I started playing this a couple of weeks ago, and so far I’m absolutely loving it. It just seems to have got every element spot-on – the visuals and art style are terrific, the combat is excellent if a little shallow, the characters and dialogue are great (Kat is lovely), Heksville is an interesting and distinct environment and the actual flying/gravity controls are so smooth. I think I’m about half way through – I’ve just defeated Alias (for the first time?) – and I’m mainly focusing on story missions at the moment, then I’ll see at the end if I’ve any enthusiasm to do the challenges. I got it for free through PS+ and I may get the DLC, as I feel like throwing some money Sony’s way for this piece of brilliance. Anyway, I’m playing it a little at night before bed, and really taking my time, and so far I’d say it’s tied with Guacamelee! As my favourite Vita game.

Really hope it sold well enough to get a sequel (I understand the director hinted as such late last year). I’ll definitely pre-order it if they do.

Glad you're enjoying it. It really is a brilliant game. Usuaully when a new IP hits it out of the park, I prefer that they leave it alone as a singular example of excellence and not sully the scenario with serialization, but Gravity Rush just BEGS for a direct sequel. I'm going to be so sad if it doesn't come to pass.

nynt9

I seem to be sucking at the combat of this game. I'm at Chapter 17, and I can't complete the second battle for the life of me. The boss of the previous chapter took way too much time too. I aim at the weak spots of enemies and do the gravity kick, but if they move I always end up missing, and they randomly shoot orbs at me or attack me quite often which cancels my attack. But mostly the problem is that they move away from my attack. The attack tries to home in, but their movement makes me fall behind and hit their non-weak spots.

What am I doing wrong?

vid

After picking up this gem on PlayStation Plus last month or so, I just platinum trophy'd a game for the first time.

I can't even understand it. The combat gets repetitive pretty fast, the story raises so many questions with so few answers, but I was still driven by the presentation and love put into this game. I'll pick up the DLC in the next couple of days, but I hear it does little to resolve any of the open plot threads.

...I need a sequel. And maybe one of those Kat figmas, if they ever released.

I finished it this weekend I started it two weeks ago. I had a lot of fun once my gauge reached 2/3 of its max level. My only gripe, the end boss sequence kind of a pain. Other than that my next art book bundle purchase will include this game and of course the soundtrack amazing tracks.

At TGS hopefully they will announce a sequel to this.

creyas

Finally beat this game today. Began it in 2012, been a long time since the last time i touched it. Only had a couple of missions left.

Combat is a grind, but easy enough to not bother too much. Gravity kick impact has a pretty satisfying feel thankfully. The atmosphere is great and the graphics kept impressing me, especially when looking around in first person. Really hope it gets a sequel.

B.O.O.M

Finally beat this game today. Began it in 2012, been a long time since the last time i touched it. Only had a couple of missions left.

Combat is a grind, but easy enough to not bother too much. Gravity kick impact has a pretty satisfying feel thankfully. The atmosphere is great and the graphics kept impressing me, especially when looking around in first person. Really hope it gets a sequel.

Well a sequel was pretty much revealed last year at TGS with some new footage too. Question is if it's for the vita..I hope it is. The system could use the exclusives

Fireblend

Banned
Someone please tell me it's ok not to get gold in all challenges. Easily the most frustrating aspect of the game is how obnoxiously difficult some of these are. I love the controls, I think I'm pretty good with them, but goddamn, some of these challenges really seem to push it in terms of how precise you have to be with them.

Other than that, it's a great game. A shame I'm really frustrated about those challenges though =/ I would've loved more story-driven sidequests instead.

Massa

Someone please tell me it's ok not to get gold in all challenges. Easily the most frustrating aspect of the game is how obnoxiously difficult some of these are. I love the controls, I think I'm pretty good with them, but goddamn, some of these challenges really seem to push it in terms of how precise you have to be with them.

Other than that, it's a great game. A shame I'm really frustrated about those challenges though =/ I would've loved more story-driven sidequests instead.

It's fine not getting gold, you're not missing anything (other than trophies I suppose). In fact, the challenges get much easier as you earn new upgrades.

Are you attempting the challenges with the story mode completed, or as they pop up? While it is technically possible to earn gold as they pop, it gets a lot easier if you go back to them in a fully upgraded state.

Also, the DLCs provides plenty of new story quests (and additional upgrade levels) if you haven't gotten them already!

Yeah, I'm leaving the challenge missions until later as I am too invested in the story experience to care at the moment. I am loving this game though; it is very rough around the edges and could use some polishing (here's hoping for that sequel), but oh boy is the game such a thrill, and the atmosphere, visual style, dialogue exchanges and music are just delightful.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I guess I'll leave all the challenge stuff for later. I've been actually trying to get gold as I unlock them, and on most I do (specially the time attacks and the non-sliding races), but I'll leave the ones that are giving me trouble for when I've upgraded my skill some more.

It *is* a great game though. I'm really enjoying it. I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the story from impressions I read here and elsewhere, but so far I'm pretty satisfied with it despite it being somewhat more lighthearted than expected. The mechanics and controls are also pretty good. You only notice their limitations with the challenges, IMO, but I hope that'll be resolved by grinding for upgrades some more.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I recently picked up a Vita and have a trial for PS+ so I decided to download Gravity Rush. I'm on chapter 8 or 9... I like the game in a lot of ways, but I also can't look past the combat. It's not very enjoyable in the air. I find it super difficult to aim precisely at certain enemies, especially during some of the boss fights.
The fight against Raven for example was super annoying.
Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but I'm finding that it's taking away from the experience a lot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, do the challenges after you've upgraded. It'll make things easier.

As for the combat, you have to fight against the fact that there's no auto lock on... although, I can't remember how the combat works anymore.

Rigalo

Combat isn't that bad if you utilize the special powers all the time. Also landing a gravity kick is so satisfying, I'm pretty good at aiming now

leroidys

I recently picked up a Vita and have a trial for PS+ so I decided to download Gravity Rush. I'm on chapter 8 or 9... I like the game in a lot of ways, but I also can't look past the combat. It's not very enjoyable in the air. I find it super difficult to aim precisely at certain enemies, especially during some of the boss fights.
The fight against Raven for example was super annoying.
Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but I'm finding that it's taking away from the experience a lot.

Yeah, do the challenges after you've upgraded. It'll make things easier.

As for the combat, you have to fight against the fact that there's no auto lock on... although, I can't remember how the combat works anymore.

There's no auto-aim, but if you are reasonably pointed towards a weak point, the game will do some ridiculous homing on it. Just don't do it from too far away.

Top Bottom