• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush |OT| C’est la Vita

Grinchy

Banned
Why is it that when you go and do some conversations, then save, if you load the game back up the conversations never took place? I went all around earlier before saving and quitting the game, now every single conversation marker is back. Hopefully the gems don't reset too.

Lan_97

Finished the game today. Really fun overall. The story, setting, and characters were great, but the lack of answers to any questions was pretty disappointing.

SmithnCo

Finished the game today. Really fun overall. The story, setting, and characters were great, but the lack of answers to any questions was pretty disappointing.

Yeah, that was kinda weird to me. It's clear they're banking on a sequel to flesh that out, I guess.

nny

I recently bought a Vita and it has basically become a Gravity Rush machine. What a great game! Ever since Portal I haven't seen such a mix of great presentation with fun, new mechanics. I love the city architecture, I often find myself just flying around, simply taking a stroll to a great soundtrack. I'm not done yet (on episode 12), but I am really enjoying the game.

leroidys

Does it
Resolve the essentially cliffhanger ending? Or what part of the story is it? I was happy until the ending pretty much sucked.

Oh definitely not. It's all side story stuff, the only stuff that really adds to the main story is with Yunica and the military.

They are apparently working on a sequel though.

Grinchy

Banned
If I had recorded the attemps at the last 2 challenges that I haven't gotten a gold medal on, I could have made a really good "Everything that's wrong with Gravity Rush's controls" video. This game is a lot of fun most of the time, but there are many moments when I can't believe how janky the controls are.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I had recorded the attemps at the last 2 challenges that I haven't gotten a gold medal on, I could have made a really good "Everything that's wrong with Gravity Rush's controls" video. This game is a lot of fun most of the time, but there are many moments when I can't believe how janky the controls are.
The racing controls are mostly good though. The only one that gave me trouble with the gyro stuff was that annoying lava race included in one of the DLCs. So many times I'd hook on something and poof, there goes the gold.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't have any trouble with the racing challenges, surprisingly. But some of the worse moments of the challenges for me were instances where I'd do a gravity kick, it would miss the enemy because they moved right at the last second, I'd float 10 feet past, and it would tell me I went out of bounds. It killed crucial time which would take the gold medal out of the realm of possibility.

Also that special move where you dive at enemies is a piece of crap. It misses so often and sends me way off target, sometimes also putting me out of bounds. Even when it would hit, it didn't seem to do much. Another random issue I'd have is I'd be floating along and stick to like a tree branch or lamp post or some negligible item that you'd never want to rest on anyway. Then the gravity shifts and I'm having having to now do everything upside-down when I shift off of it. When you're in timed segments and mechanical issues with controls/gameplay force you to retry (with some long ass loading) it gets frustrating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the homing one is only good for the enemies that move around a lot, like the snakes, or for the ones with the weak point on their back.

At least with the standard kick, you can abort if you miss though.

I didn't have any trouble with the racing challenges, surprisingly. But some of the worse moments of the challenges for me were instances where I'd do a gravity kick, it would miss the enemy because they moved right at the last second, I'd float 10 feet past, and it would tell me I went out of bounds. It killed crucial time which would take the gold medal out of the realm of possibility.

Also that special move where you dive at enemies is a piece of crap. It misses so often and sends me way off target, sometimes also putting me out of bounds. Even when it would hit, it didn't seem to do much. Another random issue I'd have is I'd be floating along and stick to like a tree branch or lamp post or some negligible item that you'd never want to rest on anyway. Then the gravity shifts and I'm having having to now do everything upside-down when I shift off of it. When you're in timed segments and mechanical issues with controls/gameplay force you to retry (with some long ass loading) it gets frustrating.

Most of these "issues" sound like you expect enemies to hover perfectly still while you come at them from a mile away. Sure sounds like sound battle strategy.

Grinchy

Banned
Most of these "issues" sound like you expect enemies to hover perfectly still while you come at them from a mile away. Sure sounds like sound battle strategy.

I'm just not explaining it well. The game has clunky ass controls.

Another good example comes from fighting the 3rd rare nevi. It's only difficult because the controls and camera make it that way.

I'm just not explaining it well. The game has clunky ass controls.

Another good example comes from fighting the 3rd rare nevi. It's only difficult because the controls and camera make it that way.

I think his point is that the game is designed to make you lose time if you try to gravity kick from very far. It's a risk vs reward thing.

The game is not perfect but I never had any problems with the camera or controls. But I get your complaints, those are very common in a game that attemps something different so the player is usually alienated because it doesn't know how to react to something diferent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It just needs a lock on camera that swings around if you fly past the enemy with your kick. That would solve so many problems with the combat.

It just needs a lock on camera that swings around if you fly past the enemy with your kick. That would solve so many problems with the combat.

Then it would be too easy, everytime you do a gravity kick it's to the center of the screen. So you could easily spam kicks. I like this solution better. Lock on is usually a bad feature.

Grinchy

Banned
Platinum Get! I even ended up getting a 107 rank on a race that was frustrating me earlier.

2012-12-03-0114489yop1.jpg
2012-12-02-201434l1qha.jpg

I played this for about 4.5 hours today and just couldn't put it down until I finished. Really cool game. I loved the way the story was presented. The different areas you visit for the various reasons you visit them are all quite interesting (trying not to be spoilerish). I see what people mean now when they were talking about the need for a sequel to tie some things together in the end. But even if there never is one, it felt like a complete package to me.

In terms of the story missions, I have very few (if any) complaints about the controls. When it comes to the 3rd rare nevi and maybe the hardest race or killing challenges, the controls were pretty frustrating. I'm glad I beat it all, though. This was one hell of a free game. Anyone on the fence based on the demo should really give it a shot, because the demo does not do much to show what makes this game as good as it is.

Number45

Started this yesterday. Is there a general consensus on targeting for the gravity mode? I've been using the gyro when the target is on screen and the right stick when it's further afield.

I've literally only gotten as far as the first save chance. It looks lovely though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Then it would be too easy, everytime you do a gravity kick it's to the center of the screen. So you could easily spam kicks. I like this solution better. Lock on is usually a bad feature.
The combat is so half-baked though. The best parts of the game are the races and the movement through space, while the combat ends up being a matter of spamming powered up attacks on the enemies that are a pain in the ass the target. I'd rather it be easy than frustrating anyway.

Unless this is like a "Resident Evil was a better game when you couldn't move and shoot" argument, in which case, we all lose. lol

this sounds like the worst idea ever. im glad you had no input on this game.
Instead, let's have crappy combat?

Started this yesterday. Is there a general consensus on targeting for the gravity mode? I've been using the gyro when the target is on screen and the right stick when it's further afield.

I've literally only gotten as far as the first save chance. It looks lovely though.
I move around too much for the gyro camera to be of any use to me. Especially in the slide races where you have to use the gyro controls.

Speaking of which, when doing the slides, remember to treat the Vita as a steering wheel and that if you want to do the equivalent of a handbrake turn, simply lift one of your fingers off the screen and make your turn before pressing the screen again.

I wish I had known that earlier in the game.

The combat is so half-baked though. The best parts of the game are the races and the movement through space, while the combat ends up being a matter of spamming powered up attacks on the enemies that are a pain in the ass the target. I'd rather it be easy than frustrating anyway.

Unless this is like a "Resident Evil was a better game when you couldn't move and shoot" argument, in which case, we all lose. lol

I think the combat is pretty balanced and designed around the different types of attacks. Sure you can spam gravity kick and get out of most situations but it seems designed to use every move against certain enemies.

ie, if you are spamming gravity kick from far against every enemy and the game is punishing you for doing it, you should consider the idea that you might actually be doing something wrong. There are other ways to take down those nevis.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the combat is pretty balanced and designed around the different types of attacks. Sure you can spam gravity kick and get out of most situations but it seems designed to use every move against certain enemies.

ie, if you are spamming gravity kick from far against every enemy and the game is punishing you for doing it, you should consider the idea that you might actually be doing something wrong. There are other ways to take down those nevis.

Particularly, I have bad memories of two of the special/trophy hunt bosses (which are based on normal enemies). The flying snakes were a pain in the ass because they are always moving, so it's a constant game of adjusting the camera to make sure you can stop in mid-kick and kick again to hit the target. The guys with the spot at the back of their head is also annoying as well, because you have to be in the air to hit the target so gravity kick is really the best option there, outside of finding things to throw at them.

I just remember it being needlessly frustrating at times.

Coconut

Banned
Exactly. The combat, in its entirety, was not frustrating or broken. But there were aspects of it that were. They came up when fighting certain enemies or in certain situations.

The game doesn't convey the importance of leveling up your skills and which ones should be where for all the challenges.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Most accurate thing I've seen in this thread in a while :) I'm a bit disappointed that games have led us to this "Spell it out for me, or I won't notice!" type of situation now-a-days. Playing the game, and finding well-implemented nuance is one of the best reasons to play games in the first place, to me.

The game doesn't convey the importance of leveling up your skills and which ones should be where for all the challenges.

It really shouldn't HAVE to... but I'd guess it'd help more people if it did :/ A "Suggest Skill Level" box besides each challenge, perhaps.

---

Meh, I had a nicer reply written all up, but then had a computer error, and lost it all. Argh.

Have completed everything but Special forces DLC now! After that, I'll have 100%'d everything in this game, a rare accomplishment for me in modern games, especially ones with expansion DLC.

I'm so glad the Trophies of this game are smartly made. They could have wasted lots of time making grindy, near impossible, or junky trophies, but they actually set up rewards for achieving things you'd WANT to do in gameplay... IMAGINE THAT!

I can never agree with the "Janky Controls" or "Shallow Combat" comments this game gets; it seems like every time I want something out of how it plays, it does it for me, and if it does something in it's own way, it's for good reason. Regardless of which, it's always a well-grounded plan, with some reason behind it.

I really hope they don't compromise this clarity of vision in a sequel for this game. Recently playing the "Hokutou Musou: Ken's Rage 2" Demo, they obviously removed a lot of the "impact" and "slower" aspects of the gameplay, such as the dramatic angles and technique call-outs when using Musou's... these were some of my favorite aspects of the first game, but now apparently removed / minimized because people complained... :(

Really hope that kind of "improvement" doesn't happen here!

Coconut

Banned
It shouldn't have to indeed it should convey the leveling information much better in he game but they also don't do that . It's just frustrating as a player to not be able to complete challenges because a lack of level rather than a lack of skill.

It shouldn't have to indeed it should convey the leveling information much better in he game but they also don't do that . It's just frustrating as a player to not be able to complete challenges because a lack of level rather than a lack of skill.

I completed all the challenges as soon as they appeared with no power leveling or anything of the like. I finished the game and some of the DLC and haven't even maxed out all my powers. You can complete all of the challenges without leveling, it just helps if you lack some skills.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's the thing though. In general, the game is *easy*. Any difficulty isn't based on impressive combat design or any particularly challenging encounters...

I mean, chipping away at the secret bosses should be fun - and for one of them, it is. For the other two, it's not because you have to fight the game mechanics.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The challenges seem kinda made to reflect "what should I be able to do", anywhy. Such as with the first "pick up people and bring them to safety" challenge I ran into...

...Kat could only pick up 2 or 3 objects at that time; and that's the limit that the people were clumped to. THey had as many around each other, as I could carry with current skill levels.

Yet by the time I was doing the "Bring objects to the designated area" scoring mission, in the last town area of the game, I could have about 6 or 7 objects picked up at once. Suddenly, the groups of objects were much bigger; loads of boxes packed atop each other, and multiple groups in close vacinity of each other, all picked up with one use of Stasis Field.

I think the game is pretty aware in the background, but it wouldn't hurt to put some of this more into the forefront for various types of players. After enough (healthy?) frustration, I got a "ok, can't do this yet!" understanding, and approached trouble issues much later on, after gameplay and statistic skills improved, and came away much happier for it.

I completed all the challenges as soon as they appeared with no power leveling or anything of the like. I finished the game and some of the DLC and haven't even maxed out all my powers. You can complete all of the challenges without leveling, it just helps if you lack some skills.

I'm not 100% sure on that; as mentioned, some challenge seem made with your current assumed limits in mind. And even the suggested goals of Bronze, Silver, and Gold all seem to fit with "what's possible, in this time frame, with this level of power?"

That's the thing though. In general, the game is *easy*. Any difficulty isn't based on impressive combat design or any particularly challenging encounters...

I mean, chipping away at the secret bosses should be fun - and for one of them, it is. For the other two, it's not because you have to fight the game mechanics.

I found myself much less fighting the mechanics, and more so figuring out the best way to use what I had. For example, when fighting in the challenge in the kid's city, where you had to kill a giant snake-thing in the end, I had a huge issue consistently killing the armored enemies in the beginning fast enough, at first. The "Hit, Bounce off, hit, repeat" was finicky, and wasn't as efficient as I wanted...

... but then I notice the game conveniently spawns Kat RIGHT by a bunch of barrels. I picked them up, and started to toss them with the stasis field, even while moving, and the strength and amount of lock-on those tosses had worked perfectly. After tossing just enough to kill what was in front of me, I was able to pick up a few more objects, and pepper the enemies below, while flying towards them; this killed off just enough, to let me hit the ground, and ground-combo the next group into oblivion, which again, was more consistent than grav-kicking everything into oblivion.

Another one, in the Maid DLC, the stage where you have infinite super meter the whole mission... I started off wanting to Spiral Claw & Rock-toss everything. But it was in this mission I figured out how great Micro Black Hole was. It totally destroyed the group of mini-nevi that appeared right after the plant-shooter gauntlet, and anything it missed was easily taken care of by a spiral claw cancelled into fast-fall to the next area afterwards.

I tried to spiral claw the group of Spike-sphere Nevi near the end of the loop in the same mission at first, but that lead to a lot of denied assaults, so I eventually used the rock-toss at a far enough distance. It's like that's exactly how they figured the moment should be solved; everything was conveniently in range of the ability from where I was, and with proper aiming, everything died basically RIGHT as the power wore off.

It all felt so efficient, that when I finally got Gold on the course, I felt like I had one of those "gaming zen" moments; similiar to watching an NES Runthrough of Ninja Gaiden, and being able to call out exactly when and were each jump was made, what they're facing, what weapon was used, and HOW it was used, all because the placement of each element and the pace of gameplay work so well together.

Even with zooming past an enemy, stopping in mid air, turning with R stick, and then re-centering to attack again; some people would demand "Give me a quick turn! ", but I actually really like the fact that 90% of the time, after going through that process, the enemey bullets are RIGHT on top of me, but with just enough time to flick the screen for a sidestep. The game would feel cheap, frustrating, and janky, if the enemies attack was much faster than I can react, but instead, it seems to work exactly when it's suppose to, keeping the illusion of tension, while technically being well throught-out and "scripted", underneath it all.

I guess, to me, the game feels more like an action-puzzle with it's mechanics, rather than just a pure-action game; this is fine though, and I prefer it for a "hybrid" like this. The game seems much more about rhythm and learning it's timing, than it does twitch and reaction.

Though it's an odd comparision, it's appeal is similiar to what I feel like when I'm playing Punch-Out; when it works, it's so well-oiled and rhythmic, that I'm kinda creeped out that any game designer predicted how I'd play so accurately...

Another one, in the Maid DLC, the stage where you have infinite super meter the whole mission... I started off wanting to Spiral Claw & Rock-toss everything. But it was in this mission I figured out how great Micro Black Hole was. It totally destroyed the group of mini-nevi that appeared right after the plant-shooter gauntlet, and anything it missed was easily taken care of by a spiral claw cancelled into fast-fall to the next area afterwards.

I tried to spiral claw the group of Spike-sphere Nevi near the end of the loop in the same mission at first, but that lead to a lot of denied assaults, so I eventually used the rock-toss at a far enough distance. It's like that's exactly how they figured the moment should be solved; everything was conveniently in range of the ability from where I was, and with proper aiming, everything died basically RIGHT as the power wore off.

It all felt so efficient, that when I finally got Gold on the course, I felt like I had one of those "gaming zen" moments; similiar to watching an NES Runthrough of Ninja Gaiden, and being able to call out exactly when and were each jump was made, what they're facing, what weapon was used, and HOW it was used, all because the placement of each element and the pace of gameplay work so well together.

That's the one I haven't been able to beat. Will definitively try your advice.

Coconut

Banned

I don't doubt that it can be done I just don't believe YOU did it that way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even with zooming past an enemy, stopping in mid air, turning with R stick, and then re-centering to attack again; some people would demand "Give me a quick turn! ", but I actually really like the fact that 90% of the time, after going through that process, the enemey bullets are RIGHT on top of me, but with just enough time to flick the screen for a sidestep. The game would feel cheap, frustrating, and janky, if the enemies attack was much faster than I can react, but instead, it seems to work exactly when it's suppose to, keeping the illusion of tension, while technically being well throught-out and "scripted", underneath it all.

Honestly, that was the most frustrating part of the combat for me. It just wasn't fun to fight the camera again and again in those situations.

The game for me was the sliding/race courses. Discovering that you could use gravity kicks as a way to travel from A to B in a straight line just opened up so many awesome options. If only I didn't have to deal with the pesky fighting... lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Honestly, that was the most frustrating part of the combat for me. It just wasn't fun to fight the camera again and again in those situations.

The game for me was the sliding/race courses. Discovering that you could use gravity kicks as a way to travel from A to B in a straight line just opened up so many awesome options. If only I didn't have to deal with the pesky fighting... lol

But that's not really "fighting" the camera (implying the camera is getting stuck in geometry, or forced looking in a direction you don't want it to, with an inability to control it at all), that's more like "turning at the game's suggested speed".

Since bullets and enemy response seem to be made to accomidate this, I wonder if it was a conscious decision to avoid screen tearing or increased disorientation? I actually think it's a smart thing to do, in a game that could so easily lead to "vertigo" moments; slower turns force you to actually take account of your position, orientation, and height, whereas a quick turn via lock-on would just jerk the camera around violently, lending even more placement-confusion...

Guess we'll see how it all works out in the sequel!

Was there ever any advantage to using gravity kick in a race rather than just using "Fast Fall" (Hold X while "falling" to a location, also useable while normally floating) though? Before I understood fast-fall, I did the same thing, but then you get the sometimes-unfortunate side effect of "Gravity kick has generous enemey auto-lock", which isn't present with fast-fall.

I really sucked on races before fast fall.. could not figure how in the world they'd thingk normal "press R to fall" speed would win me those things..

Was there ever any advantage to using gravity kick in a race rather than just using "Fast Fall" (Hold X while "falling" to a location, also useable while normally floating) though? Before I understood fast-fall, I did the same thing, but then you get the sometimes-unfortunate side effect of "Gravity kick has generous enemey auto-lock", which isn't present with fast-fall.

I really sucked on races before fast fall.. could not figure how in the world they'd thingk normal "press R to fall" speed would win me those things..

With gravity kick you can turn the camera and be ready to kick another direction with no pause in between. Also, gravity kick gives you a little bounce after you land making it easier to go in another direction while fall fast "grounds" you.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
With gravity kick you can turn the camera and be ready to kick another direction with no pause in between. Also, gravity kick gives you a little bounce after you land making it easier to go in another direction while fall fast "grounds" you.

You can Tilt with fast fall too, though. (Which I really appreciate). I generally would "R" stop fast-fall right before I hit the surface, and then re-combobulate from that point (Or then "L" cancel to land on the solid ground), but using the jump of kick is a nice method, too!

Number45

Can I go back into the areas where you restore parts of the city at some point? There are some crystals in the third one that I just can't see me being able to reach with the reduced amount of anti-gravity time I have at the moment.

Can I go back into the areas where you restore parts of the city at some point? There are some crystals in the third one that I just can't see me being able to reach with the reduced amount of anti-gravity time I have at the moment.

Yes.

Also, mind the spoilers.

Number45

I intentionally kept it non-specific, but OK I'll edit tags in.

I understood that I could polish up any challenges after completing the game, but I've just been told to make sure I have everything done (
by Gade, an announcement by the clock tower is incoming
). Can I just go in and come back afterwards? I've barely touched the challenges.

Number45

Right, but there's nothing in those that I might have missed for the sake of completion (not that I can go back to those anyway) is there? I don't want to look at the trophy list until I've finished the game.

Number45

Cool, thanks.

Well, I finished it. Really enjoyed it, but I have to say I'm completely clueless about some (most?) of the story.

On to the challenges!

Zoe

Woohoo, finished it. Kinda pissed about the
lack of an
ending, but oh well.

On to the DLC! Is there any more planned after the three?

Top Bottom