• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Game looks great but I'm not feeling the gameplay. I'm sliding out at every bend it's like I'm driving on ice and I'm comfortable with other racing games.

Yup. And no, neither the Le Mans circuit nor 24 hour races return.

As an added bonus, the game has just crashed at the start of my first 'endurance' event... I'm yet to find out what this actually entails, but I'm not expecting more than 10 minutes of racing.

Edit: Oh wow. 5 WHOLE MINUTES. Endurance indeed.

Endurance you can set up to 40 minutes in length, just a FYI.

Yup. And no, neither the Le Mans circuit nor 24 hour races return.

As an added bonus, the game has just crashed at the start of my first 'endurance' event... I'm yet to find out what this actually entails, but I'm not expecting more than 10 minutes of racing.

Edit: Oh wow. 5 WHOLE MINUTES. Endurance indeed.

I guess I should've seen this coming with the way Codemasters has been aiming for that casual driving audience in their latest games, especially with F1 All Stars Racing and Dirt Showdown.

Guess I'll stick with GRID and DiRT1/3 for now. It's a pity, the game looks absolutely beautiful in those PC screenshots, too bad it doesn't play as well as it looks for car racing enthusiasts.

Thanks for the quick rundown Jibbed.

Mogwai

With Showdown being the worst Codemasters game yet and the exclusion of cockpit veiw in GRID2 = I'm waiting till it drops to 5$.

What will then be the next essential racing feature that CM removes?

Jibbed

With Showdown being the worst Codemasters game yet and the exclusion of cockpit veiw in GRID2 = I'm waiting till it drops to 5$.

Wheel support with the way things are going.

I tried my DFGT before and it felt horrendous with the handling, so I'm using a 360 pad on my PC.

DD

Just 14 locales and some of it are DLC, no cockpit view and lots of pre-order "bonuses"?

Haha, fuck you, Codemasters! No fuckin' way!

The player.

Sethos

Banned
Probably, but I hate reviews of car games. Just looks at F1 2012. 9s and 10s across the board. It wasn't as good as 2011, Most Wanted got so much praise it was okay at best..

Happens with all reviews these days, not just racing games. So much generic crap gets 8s and 9s. I don't trust reviews any more, I really don't.

How much?

You mean price? None, free of course.

54-46!

Looks kinda fun, will probably get this, it's been some a while since I played a decent racing game.

Nice to see Codemasters finally ditching GFWL.

Alright guys, I've been playing the PC version for the last few hours... oh boy.

First of all, this game is clearly made for 10-year-olds. The commentary from your manager (which is almost constant) is patronizing as hell, and even on the hardest difficulty each race so far has been a walk in the park. The races themselves don't seem to be more than a few minutes long each, and in approximately 1/4 of these (I'm not joking) I've not even touched the brakes - which brings me on to the handling.

There are NO assist options, no way to change car characteristics or anything like that. The cars are all just glued to the circuit and drift in a predictable (ie. easy to hang on to) manner. If anything, drifting seems to give you more of a run out of corners (which makes no sense whatsoever).

The UI is a step in the wrong direction when comparing GRID 2 to the original too. Everything is slow and clunky, and pre/post races menus, loading screens etc just seem to drag on a few seconds too long. There's no way of skipping most of these either, I'm already sick of watching the fan-ticker update after a race.

Feel free to ask me anything else about the game and I'll get back to you.

So... this is pretty much ridge racer now?

:S

Sethos

Banned
Don't worry guys, I'm working on a very realistic cockpit view overlay

31mf8g.png

Waitaminute

Jibbed

Hahahaha, oh my god. I just won the first season and the game's taken me to an (unskippable) ESPN news segment on the success of the (fictional) World Series Racing.

jFXMkhXDLT0le.bmp

Amon37

Will pick mine up today before work and if not exhausted play a little after.

Never use cockpit view non factor and as long as the career mode is better than the NFS:MW I'll be happy.

Sini

Alright guys, I've been playing the PC version for the last few hours... oh boy.

First of all, this game is clearly made for 10-year-olds. The commentary from your manager (which is almost constant) is patronizing as hell

The UI is a step in the wrong direction when comparing GRID 2 to the original too. Everything is slow and clunky, and pre/post races menus, loading screens etc just seem to drag on a few seconds too long. There's no way of skipping most of these either, I'm already sick of watching the fan-ticker update after a race.
Are the commentary and menus Dirt 2 bad?

KaidoRacer7

A question: I pre-ordered from PSN and is downloading now, but wasn't expect to receive the Head Start Pack, Indycar Pack and GTR Racing Pack. Am I going to receive the McLaren Racing Pack too?

I've bought every single Codemasters racing game day one this generation, except for the awful Dirt Showdown. I'll be skipping this one as well. I don't know who's making the big decisions at Codemasters these days but maybe they need to step down.

No cockpit view, No buy.
Same here. Maybe when it hits the bargain bin.

I'll wait to see if they add in the destruction derby races from DRiD 1 as DLC before I buy. It was the only thing that kept me coming back and no-one appreciates it when I crash into people on a supercar race.

Other than that, looks great on PC.
I wouldn't get your hopes up.

First of all, this game is clearly made for 10-year-olds. The commentary from your manager (which is almost constant) is patronizing as hell, and even on the hardest difficulty each race so far has been a walk in the park. The races themselves don't seem to be more than a few minutes long each, and in approximately 1/4 of these (I'm not joking) I've not even touched the brakes - which brings me on to the handling.

There are NO assist options, no way to change car characteristics or anything like that. The cars are all just glued to the circuit and drift in a predictable (ie. easy to hang on to) manner. If anything, drifting seems to give you more of a run out of corners (which makes no sense whatsoever).

Feel free to ask me anything else about the game and I'll get back to you.
Yikes. Thanks for the impressions.

No team mates, because codemasters removed the team feature. Thats the info from the gamestar (german) review. :(
The fuck? Really?

Braking, by the sounds of it.

harrytang

It's an ESPN ad you can't skip?

is an ad or an addition to increase the authenticity of the single player story? hmmm.....

seems like a lot of hate from one or two people but the game pretty clear about how it works. this is not a racing sim. this is a pick up and play racer for those of you without wheels and race cages. casual can still be fun.

Sethos

Banned
seems like a lot of hate from one or two people but the game pretty clear about how it works. this is not a racing sim. this is a pick up and play racer for those of you without wheels and race cages. casual can still be fun.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised that people are talking about wheels and how they grip ... It's a Codemaster title, you are just supposed to drift around corners and have a laugh. The game is quite good albeit a few missteps as already covered. It just isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

SkylineRKR

Its too bad that this does not have a cockpit, I actually play Codie games solely in that view. GRID 1 was awesome when you got hit and your window broke out. Dirt 3 is lovely in cockpit mode as well.

Top Bottom