• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID 2 |OT?| Lots of Pre order bonuses!

Kurdel

Banned
I just got done playing the first 20 minutes on PC, and the game looks really good. Running everything maxed out on a GTX 660ti with a solid 60 fps at 1080p.

It's also nice to see Gamepad integration to the point where that weird Steam flower pops up to choose the letter for your name.

Addnan

I got an achievement call artist for this.

pink2d8dbd.png

Senaxx

Banned
Still wondering what's the purple bar filling up on the lower left of your screen? I thought the amount of rewinds, but that's not it.
*edit*
Found it... it's the track progress, the sectors you go trough.

Jibbed

Does this game still have the rewind feature?

Yeah, 5 uses per race (on the hardest difficulty anyway, not sure about the rest).

I have to say.. after my initial rant, the European races have swayed my opinion ever so slightly. It's no GRID 1, but it's getting pretty fun.

pleunv

AI is really starting to piss me off at times. Ramming me off the road when going through a gap, literally throwing me off the track when I'm drifting through a corner, they just seem to hold to specific driving lines and refuse to acknowledge your existence. One of the Paris tracks where you start just before a 90° left corner I was starting from the left lane and _always_ had the car at my right side cut to the left straight into me just after start, like I wasn't there. Gets pretty annoying, especially when you try not to use the rewind.

Zeth

Wow, enoying it so far. Was expecting the worst. Looks fantastic too, will have to drop by the screenshot thread.

Car handling is much improved. Feels much more like a car, if that makes sense. Obviously still an arcade racing game, but it feels better. I thought the sponsor concept had been axed, but it's just been implemented a bit differently. Sponsors now represent challenges that can be cycled through and applied as liveries.

One question to those that have both games, I have GRID at home and have barely played it. Does it hold up and is it worth playing now that GRID 2 is out?

[edit - I guess that's two questions :p]

Jubbly

It looks pretty good, though there are some major shadow fade-in issues, especially on the Le Trocadero track where tree shadows suddenly appear on walls at very close range.

Hopefully they can fix such things, not like there isn't spare performance available.

krpiper

I am getting my PS3 copy tomorrow, and I am looking for people to race against. Is the RaceNet the same thing as EA's Autolog?

if so my PSN name is krpiper (same as GAF)

I picked it up earlier today after months and months of going back and forth, mostly because I already have NFS:MW.

I'm really glad I did. It's a lot tighter than the original game in terms of handling. The tires seem to grip way more and have less of a slippy-slidey feel. Graphics are great. The car customization, while somewhat limited, makes sense and is fun to mess around with.

I'm playing on hard and it's pretty intense. I don't know why but it reminds me of the car chase in Jack Reacher. Loud engines, trading paint, tire squeals... it's all there and very in your face. Every race to me feels... dirty or raw or something.

There only seems be 40 or so cars which I guess could be a flaw to some, but it's not a big deal to me. There aren't any options to adjust your car's handling, suspension, etc. I turned the racer team commentator guy off in the options so there's no audible annoyances any longer.

So far, four or so hours in I'd give it an 8.5/10. I'm pretty impressed.

stewy

AI is really starting to piss me off at times. Ramming me off the road when going through a gap, literally throwing me off the track when I'm drifting through a corner, they just seem to hold to specific driving lines and refuse to acknowledge your existence. One of the Paris tracks where you start just before a 90° left corner I was starting from the left lane and _always_ had the car at my right side cut to the left straight into me just after start, like I wasn't there. Gets pretty annoying, especially when you try not to use the rewind.

I feel the same way. I feel like the constant warnings about how "aggressive" your opponents are is their way of hiding what seems like AI cars that stick to a line no matter where you happen to be.

I really, really, really don't like the handling right now. Am I going to be stuck with "drift" cars for most of the campaign? If so, this is getting traded in tomorrow.

lol was watching a friend play this.

Was some promo stage where you had to pass pickup trucks... who's idea that this is considered fun? And you lose your combo if you bump into these guys who don't seem to give a fuck :/

Amon37

I didn't care for the indycar pack so I preordered from gamestop I'd rather have the brands hatch and yas marina + the Nissan and McClaren.

picked it up hopefully get 30min to and hour when I get home.

Pre-ordered, mostly for the IndyCar stuff, but hey, free copy of Grid 1. I've been playing Grid 1 mostly, but I've played a bit of 2, just enough to get into the garage.

lol was watching a friend play this.

Was some promo stage where you had to pass pickup trucks... who's idea that this is considered fun? And you lose your combo if you bump into these guys who don't seem to give a fuck :/

Honestly, trying to slide through without bumping any of them is something I've had a lot of fun with. It's kind of like dodging traffic in Burnout.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
so is no one using a g25 or g27 on this game on the PC/? Because they're useless as of this post. The shifters in hpattern mode dont work.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm finding the races rather easy, even on Hard. The AI just leaves the door wide open, allowing me to go from last to first in one corner on a raceway track. They're also psychic on live routes, knowing exactly how fast to go and when to brake.

Hopefully the later events get harder (am mid-way through Season Two right now).

My friend got his copy ( 360 ) yesterday, went over there and we raced some tracks. Gfx are fantastic, especially regarding the age of the hardware, very impressed so far.

saladine1

Ok, there's one thing i'm disappointed about. I was under the impression that there will be upgrades in the game. I've played a fair bit now and still nothing has popped up.
I have listened to various interviews and read articles stating that there will indeed be upgrades featured in the game. I even saw this being done in a video.
Well, it looks like that that feature is only found in the online/multiplayer department.

What an absolute shame Codies!

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. A lot of mates were under the impression that we could tinker with our cars in the career. You could've at least stated very clearly that this wasn't the case...

leng jai

I've played a couple hours or so on PC, and since people are already doing a decent job here in listing what is wrong with the game, I'll talk about what it does well.

- Graphically, it looks quite nice for a console port and it is extremely well-optimized. Also, the piss filter from the original is gone, or at least significantly toned down.
- The racing AI seems extremely competent and competitive so far. Also, there are plenty of random accidents that occur that liven up a race.
- The damage modeling is pretty above average.
- There's a whole lot of attention to detail in the environments that you just don't see in other racing games. From well-defined shouts from onlookers when you pull off a cool maneuver, having bunches of parked cars in various states and extra environmental detail alongside the track, and having rabbits run across the road in front of you on forest courses. They've really excelled in this regard compared to other racing games.
- The career mode progression seems better than most games. It is trying to tell more of a cohesive story (without going super-cheesy like the original Need for Speed: Most Wanted) and it does a pretty nice job of that, aside from some annoying chatter from your crew.
- The Live Route system is awesome. Having a city course dynamically change the way it does keeps you on your toes and manages to be a unique innovation that is more interesting and replayable than just racing the same static course over and over. It also means that the cities in Live Routes are more like the small areas that multiple tracks could be made out of in Project Gotham than just a static track that happens to be in a city like how most games do it.
- While the handling model is definitely arcadey (and I would've liked some choice in turning off assists), the cars have a better sense of weight and the traction seems better modeled than in past Codemasters games. There is a fair amount of subtlety needed to drive well, although those used to sim racers won't see much of a challenge from what is required. Cars certainly feel more lively and responsive than in the first GRID.
- I haven't messed around with it much, but the structure of the multiplayer seems pretty novel.

There's certainly several things I wish were better in the game or elements that shouldn't be missing outright, but there's also a whole lot that it does well. While I wouldn't call it a fantastic game, it certainly isn't the bargain-bin atrocity it is being made out to be here.

That being said, I would totally understand waiting on a sale, especially considering the sheer volume of pre-order DLC on sale at day 1.

Thank fuck for that. Really positive impressions.

How is the audio?

Xyber

I was supposed to get a code for Grid 1 with this on GMG, but I can't find it anywhere. Is this just for me, or are you not supposed to get it yet?

Been reading up on the impressions here now. I´ve been interested in the Grid series, but haven't really played them, and based on what people are saying, I could just as well unpack Grid 1 I have in my Steam inventory and play that instead of this?

Addnan

I was supposed to get a code for Grid 1 with this on GMG, but I can't find it anywhere. Is this just for me, or are you not supposed to get it yet?

When I bought it they emailed me a key that gives 100% off Grid 1.

Been reading up on the impressions here now. I´ve been interested in the Grid series, but haven't really played them, and based on what people are saying, I could just as well unpack Grid 1 I have in my Steam inventory and play that instead of this?

Not really, Grid 1 feels pretty outdated now in terms of car handling and just the feel of the cars.

Top Bottom