• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, the AI does not fuck around in this... or does it?

I raced in Barcelona and it took my 4th try (whereupon I turned it down to Easy AI) to become familiar enough with the track to push hard against the AI and get this:
wtf rick scott said:
ibsMvcN3d7BPoi.jpg
Which I almost feel like I cheated to get since someone spun out and that got me several positions early on as I was in the back and just drove around them all. I was like well damn, the AI isn't child's play like GRID 2, which is good. It was exciting!

But then I did another custom cup with the same cars in the Circuit of the Americas and first try, unfamiliar with the track, at one point I was almost 3 seconds ahead? And there wasn't a crash or anything, they were just going slow. But then suddenly on the last 1/3 of the last lap they were on my ass. Does the AI adjust to your lap time if you are kicking their asses? I dunno, it just felt like rubberbanding since I continued improving how I handled the track as I became more familiar from more laps. I mean I might have become more cautious as my awareness of turns grew and thus slower, but I don't think I was.

Oh, wow. I'll probably get rid of the texture pack then because I use chase cam.

LilJoka

Did the first Touring Cup races.
Difficulty:
No Assists, No driving line, Manual Gears, Interior view only, Normal distance, Full Damage, Medium AI.

Qualified 1st ~1sec ahead of the pack.
Istanbul Race 1: Lead from pole to the end.
Istanbul Race 2: Reverse grid, made up all positions without any damage by Lap 2. Finshed 1st.

Sepang Race 1: Didnt bother to qualify, started 16th, finished 4th. Unfamiliar with this layout/track compared to Istanbul.
Sepang Race 2: Started 11th (Reverse grid), took 1st by lap 3, finished first.

So far its too easy so ill crank up the AI to Hard now. Im a sim racer, so im racing as clean as possible.

I have installed the texture pack, but the difference is marginal, and at the end of the race when i see the bonnet of the car in a replay esque camera, it still looks pretty bad. Max settings 4xMSAA.

I remember in Grid the AI got a lot harder towards the latter stages of career, so maybe its just easy as its the start of the game.

Dominator

I might cave and plug the PS3 back in to play this but there might be an inevitable port. Probably not but it's possible and I'd rather play on PS4 with those triggers.

But yeah, I'll probably cave lol

I might cave and plug the PS3 back in to play this but there might be an inevitable port. Probably not but it's possible and I'd rather play on PS4 with those triggers.

But yeah, I'll probably cave lol

We've absolutely no plans for a PS4 version at this moment in time. Obviously, that may change, but given no work has been done to it you'd probably be safe picking it up on PS3 :)

Jibbed

Guessing F1 and DiRT 4 are getting the proper current gen treatment then!

Loving Autosport thus far anyway, can't wait to take it home with me this weekend and have a blast on splitscreen with my bro.

Dazzyman

Just got this on the 360 but the black edition dlc times out over and over at 1% then says can't download :(

Edit it's worked now, wonder if it went live at 2pm or the dlc being hammered, anyway don't care as its racing time :)

I had a few world records on the PS3 version of original grid so looking forward to the cockpit camera.

If anyone wants to add me on 360 VERSION just add Dazzyman

Update 2....

Wow thank you CM for finally making a Grid followup after that arcade mess of Grid 2, this feels just like the original, more sim and the AI is great.

Very happy :)

undu

As a reminder for those interested, I just got the black edition key from cdkeys, I ordered the normal edition.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The AI is destroying me in this game.

It doesn't help that my car seems underpowered compared to others in pretty much every race. Am I missing something here? I'm playing with medium AI and no assists except ABS. Is ABS slowing me down?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The AI is destroying me in this game.

It doesn't help that my car seems underpowered compared to others in pretty much every race. Am I missing something here? I'm playing with medium AI and no assists except ABS. Is ABS slowing me down?
Sure you aren't used to being overpowered? I also only use ABS and my car doesn't seem slower, it keeps up with them just fine on straightaways. So if going at the same speed, you just have to attack the lines right and be crazier than them at the right times to get around them.

Handling the course better than them, of course, requires some degree of familiarity or at least a consistent keeping track on the minimap. You can always use custom cup to practice what is coming up next in your career mode before taking it on.

What teams are you racing with? Remember, better teams = more upgrade options = better chances at winning. And you're not supposed to win everytime (there's a reason lower teams will give you a season target of "finish in the top 10")

Branson

Just like in real racing youre not going to always finish first. I really like that so far about this game. A good top 5 feels just as rewarding as winning.

IKizzLE

Finally used to the game now. Getting 1st most of the time with very hard ai.
Sometimes ravenwest beats me because they are out in front and running impossible lap times.

I turned it down to hard to see the difference and it's night and day. Very hard made hard seem boring to me. Learning how to take each track is paramount on very hard, so use up the practice time and qualifying times.

Also, make sure you turn off all your assists(can keep Abs). I did a test to see difference in lap times and the assists artificially slow down your car a lot. Tcs for example will slow down high powered machines a lot when turning and losing grip......really bad on very hard.

Fyi, I'm using a controller with Chase cam, all assits off except abs, and Manuel.

Arucardo

Great, got my physical copy today! :) . Doesn't unlock until tomorrow but I guess I could try that vpn method...

I want to play this pretty bad :T

EDIT: Applied for the GAF Racing club

Tayaya

I keep getting tempted to pick this up on PC, but due to my network situation it would be easier to pick it up on PS3.

For those playing the PS3 version, how does it run and how does it look? Especially compared to Grid 2, which I think ran (and played) like utter garbage on PS3 - not something I was used to from Codemasters.

I keep getting tempted to pick this up on PC, but due to my network situation it would be easier to pick it up on PS3.

For those playing the PS3 version, how does it run and how does it look? Especially compared to Grid 2, which I think ran (and played) like utter garbage on PS3 - not something I was used to from Codemasters.

Both console versions run at the standard 720p 30 FPS, don't they? It's been a staple of all Codies games on the last gen consoles since the first DIRT.

Man, I can't believe Intel's Integrated HD graphics can give a run for the console's money, it seems like it out performs those last gen consoles in this game at least.

DD

GamesRadar said that the PS3 version is the worse one in their review.

EDIT:

The PC version is magnificent and would easily pass as a PS4/Xbox One game (though sadly the game is not coming to those machines). The Xbox 360 version may not have a 60fps frame rate or 1080p resolution, but even so, it’s astonishingly close to the PC. With 3D spectators, real-time damage modelling, and 16 cars on-track, it’s a technical masterpiece. The PS3 version, however, is not quite as slick. It looks noticeably rougher, is more susceptible to frame drops and screen tearing, and the textures look comparatively muddy. Still impressive, but if you have the choice, get the PC or 360 version.

http://www.gamesradar.com/grid-auto...=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Owned

Mascot

Arucardo

Unless I'm missing some irony, is a game developer really using social media to shit on another developer's newly-launched product here?

That ain't too classy, even if it is his honest opinion.

That's exactly what it looks like...

Shitty move on his part :\

Jibbed

I wouldn't say him expressing his disappointment is 'shitting on' Codemasters and their efforts.

He went in there with a G27 setup. What did he expect was going to happen? Lol.

Mascot

I'm baffled as to what Rushy was hoping to achieve here. What ever happened to respecting your peers?

I wouldn't say him expressing his disappointment is 'shitting on' Codemasters and their efforts.

He went in there with a G27 setup. What did he expect was going to happen? Lol.

Discretion would be the better part of valour, though.
It's still a cheap shot from one dev to another.

Rushy

I'm baffled as to what Rushy was hoping to achieve here. What ever happened to respecting your peers?
If you follow my twitter feed you'll see that I comment (both positively & negatively) on all the games that I play, providing an honest opinion as a gamer. I've done so for years and will continue to say how I feel about the games I play.

Mascot

If you follow my twitter feed you'll see that I comment (both positively & negatively) on all the games that I play, providing an honest opinion as a gamer. I've done so for years and will continue to say how I feel about the games I play.

Fair enough. Thanks for the honesty. It just sits a little oddly with me when the genre of the game in question is in such a similar category to your own.

It's good to be honest, but somehow this feels wrong to me.

Rushy

Fair enough. Thanks for the honesty. It just sits a little oddly with me when the genre of the game in question is in such a similar category to your own.
Guess you haven't seen my positive comments about Project Cars on PC (with a wheel) then ;)

Positive comments always seem to go under the radar, and the moment a negative comment is said everyone reacts.

Mascot

Guess you haven't seen my positive comments about Project Cars on PC (with a wheel) then ;)

Positive comments always seem to go under the radar, and the moment a negative comment is said everyone reacts.

Hence my comment about discretion perhaps being the better part of valour..?

You really don't get how one racing game developer publicly expressing disappointment in another developer's brand-new racing game might be seen as a little bit... insensitive?

EBreda

I'm sorry. As head of development of a high profile racing game, you're a public personality. Your opinions do count more than other people's opinions, specially on twitter.

And I may be wrong, but your employer probably is not thrilled about one of its employees essentially disencouraging sales of the latest title available. You may be even steering the public towards the 360 version as far as I know. That can't look good on the eyes of your parent company.

Trying to pass your comment as a "I'm only a gamer now" will never work. People don't follow you because you play games, people do because you develop them.

That's how I feel it.

Edit: I think it can be interpreted as insensitive of your part, in all honesty. But hell, what do I know.

Riky

$MSFT
Went with PC version for just £17, preloaded and ready to go. I really like GRID2 though so I hope this at least looks as good on PC.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm sorry. As head of development of a high profile racing game, you're a public personality. Your opinions do count more than other people's opinions, specially on twitter.

And I may be wrong, but your employer probably is not thrilled about one of its employees essentially disencouraging sales of the latest title available. You may be even steering the public towards the 360 version as far as I know. That can't look good on the eyes of your parent company.

Trying to pass your comment as a "I'm only a gamer now" will never work. People don't follow you because you play games, people do because you develop them.

That's how I feel it.

Edit: I think it can be interpreted as insensitive of your part, in all honesty. But hell, what do I know.

Exactly. You don't see the COD director go on Twitter to say that Battlefield is shit.

I work in the videogame industry and I'm sure that all my competitors have opinions on games I worked on... Still they don't go publicly crap on it. Same for me.

TheMan

what exactly dissapointed you about grid?

how does driveclub do those things better?

Top Bottom