• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

DD

I have a Logitech wheel, but I feel that Codemasters's games are meant to be played with a pad, honestly. Even in Dirt 2 (the closest they got to a sim) I preffer to play with a 360 pad. It's like complaining about playing a RTS with a pad instead of a mouse. It may support it, it may be playable, but it's not the way it was meant to be played, you know? But I'll try Grid Autosport with my wheel as soon as Steam finishes downloading the HD textures pack, though. I didn't played it yet.

Megasoum

Banned
I have a Logitech wheel, but I feel that Codemasters's games are meant to be played with a pad, honestly. Even in Dirt 2 (the closest they got to a sim) I preffer to play with a 360 pad. It's like complaining about playing a RTS with a pad instead of a mouse. It may support it, it may be playable, but it's not the way it was meant to be played, you know? But I'll try Grid Autosport with my wheel as soon as Steam finishes downloading the HD textures pack, though. I didn't played it yet.

I played all Codies games with Fanatec wheels (PWTS first and now a CSR) and except for the weird stuff with the button bindings in the last couple of F1 games (and that's caused by Fanatec actually) they've all been great.

To each his own of course. Nothing wrong with playing the game with a pad.

DD

I played all Codies games with Fanatec wheels (PWTS first and now a CSR) and except for the weird stuff with the button bindings in the last couple of F1 games (and that's caused by Fanatec actually) they've all been great.

LOL, I don't know why, but even though I have all F1 games, I usually forget about them when I mention Codemasters's racing games, and I have no idea of why. But now that you mentioned it, honestly I've tried the wheel only with F1 2012, and even after some adjustments, it didn't felt right. I'm usually faster with a pad, except in games like Richard Burns Rally and GTR2, for example.

71% CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!! HURRY UUUUUP!

Megasoum

Banned
Two opposites, and guess who have my respect today.

Yup that sums up my opinion exactly.

It's up to Rushy to prove how better his game is now I guess. Too bad that everything I've seen about the game except the graphics looks inferior to the competition.

Anyway,back to Grid A. Time to do the first Grand Slam!

amar212

F1 games were amazing on my Fanatecs (CSRE and CSW) because I could go into beautiful 320/330 degree steering and have 1:1 linearity (something that is not possible with Logitechs on consoles).

I also played DIRT3/GRID2 on the wheel exclusively (Fanatec CSRE) and I had a blast.

I actually find Caodemasters games pretty amazing regarding wheel support on consoles during the past generation. They had one of the best FFB engines that was working in the real-time (you could always change FFB settings from the pause menu during racing).

Also, they had amazing FFB on X360, comparable only to Forza series.

My personal experience - if I recall well, I am writing this straight from my memory - was that the most important thing was drastic reduction of the "surface feedback weight" option (or something like that) which would then make overall FFB crispy "clear" and informative.

I still haven't had a chance to get Autosport, but I am certainly looking forward and will post impressions as soon as I get to play the game.

Congrats, can't wait to play it! BTW, is there any chance Dirt 2 will ever come back to Steam? Played it on 360 back in the day, but I'd love to replay it on PC.

Maybe one day, but nothing to announce right now. Sorry for the vague / PR style answer but all I have currently.

Cool but now we need better textures.
I don't think better textures will be that effective. There isn't enough detailed geometry. The DOF effect is there for good reason, hiding the low detail, looks much better with it enabled imo. It's not like the cockpit is giving you any useful info anyway (it would take a huge effort to have detailed, working dials/LCDs for instance). Good for those who want the option however.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't think better textures will be that effective. There isn't enough detailed geometry. The DOF effect is there for good reason, hiding the low detail, looks much better with it enabled imo. It's not like the cockpit is giving you any useful info anyway (it would take a huge effort to have detailed, working dials/LCDs for instance). Good for those who want the option however.

Oh yeah agree 100%... I'm keeping the blur. What I mean is that there's no point to remove the blur if you don't have the textures that go with it.

The second screen option on the PC version is awesome.

bf7cvA1.png

oxidax

My friend had the same problem, couldn't map the clutch when using the CSR elite pedals through the wheel (CSR), didn't try directly connecting the pedals to the pc though.

I was going through the Input files and I sew that the CSR mapping file is not there but the Elite is. I wish I knew the key mappings of the CSR pedals to edit the Elite one. Did u friend solve the issue?

It's too early in the morning for me to have messed with it properly thus far, aside from running benchmarks and all that sort of stuff, but I'd at least like to say that the menu music is real fuckin' good. Like, seriously. It's got to be a series tradition at this point.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
As someone who absolutely loved the handling and excitement of the TOCA style bump n grind racing of the first GRID, but really disliked the second game, do you think I would like this?

Arucardo

As someone who absolutely loved the handling and excitement of the TOCA style bump n grind racing of the first GRID, but really disliked the second game, do you think I would like this?

My opinion? Absolutely.

I did a few races online and my god, SO FUN! Had some trouble with doing race tracks that I'm quite familiar with (like Brands Hatch and Spa) in reverse. The moment we got Brands Hatch the right way I completely obliterated the competition, lol.

Also, are we getting a livery for the club? Looking forward to earning some points for GAF Racing ;)

DD

Ok, I'm in love with this game, seriously. Great job, Codies!

Complaints? I can't find the Vsync option, and the handling doesn't feel natural with a wheel (I still have to try with the X360 pad). It took me a lot of time to get used to it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Vsync is in the video mode settings under graphics. There you can also set the frequency to 30hz so it can be "cinematic" like Driveclub.

Branson

Ok, I'm in love with this game, seriously. Great job, Codies!

Complaints? I can't find the Vsync option, and the handling doesn't feel natural with a wheel (I still have to try with the X360 pad). It took me a lot of time to get used to it.
I can't personally play it without a wheel.

DD

I can't personally play it without a wheel.

LOL, I came to say that it felt more natural with the pad. But I've learned to play with a wheel too, but I feel that it's a little bit arcadey to feel natural playing this way.

Hey Loore, can I ask you if there's the possibility of including more than just five races in the custom cup option in a future patch? This is the biggest disappointment (actually the only one) I have with the game til now. That aside, I'm completely in love with this game. That's what I expected from you guys since Toca 3. ;)

Fox Mulder

My opinion? Absolutely.

I did a few races online and my god, SO FUN! Had some trouble with doing race tracks that I'm quite familiar with (like Brands Hatch and Spa) in reverse. The moment we got Brands Hatch the right way I completely obliterated the competition, lol.

Also, are we getting a livery for the club? Looking forward to earning some points for GAF Racing ;)

I felt the same way with Grid. Reversing tracks just messes my brain all up. Pretty fun way to get more mileage from the same tracks.

I try to pick this up tomorrow.

Megasoum

Banned
The menu music kinda sound like the galactic map music from Mass Effect and it's freaking me out lol.

Also fuck Ravenwest... They are the M. Rossi of the Grid Universe lol

Megasoum

Banned
So I have a bit over 70 races done in the career so far... I think I managed to do 1 good start so far haha.. Not sure why exactly but even if I qualify first most of the time I'm almost never first at the first turn lol.

Dice

So is there no way to quit to desktop in the middle of a series? All I see is to retire from the race, and then it just moves on to the menus to go to the next race forward through the series. I know you may be like "well why would you start a series if you weren't going to finish it?" but a person can change their mind about what discipline they were in the mood for or that pesky real life thing can come up, so the option should be there aside from just opening up task manager and closing down the application.

vZeroG

Neo Member

You mean like in Grid 1? I simply don't understand why they can't give a decent drivers view in what is supposed to be a drivers game.

Google

Not sure why exactly but even if I qualify first most of the time I'm almost never first at the first turn lol.

Ditto. I'll qualify first in Touring Car and be 3rd or 4th by the first corner because of my terrible starts. No matter what I do, I get beaten off the line.

It sucks in the second race because not only do I start at the back but I'm a good number of car lengths behind all the cars after the first corner. Yuck.

At least it makes the race more interesting.

Mascot

My opinion? Absolutely.

It's awesome if you're allowed to race real tracks in reverse. This is almost NEVER allowed, with 'licensing reasons' always quoted. I wish all racing games allowed it, especially those with meagre track lists. It's a great way to cheaply boost the track count. Bravo, Codies.

Dice

I think x2 race length is better. Gives more time/chances to bang up your car, but also less reason to do so as you can take your time moving up in position. Standard race length seems okay if you're already familiar with everything, but I'm not only getting a feel for the game itself but also the car I'm driving. You can turn down the AI, but then that's simply not teaching you how to work for anything and you won't learn it properly.

Overall I feel the accelerator is a bit hard to get a handle on at lower gears. It seems like it does nothing for like 1/4 the way down and then suddenly a huge jump of power. Once you get going fast, powering down and controlling speed feels right, but managing low speeds is pretty awkward. I can't tell if it's a poor translation of pedal to trigger or the way the game is handing automatic transmission.

To race online I'm going to have to learn how to not race like a jackass, though. I just love being a jerk to AI cars, it's so thrilling. The two Ravensport cars were in 1st and 2nd, and at a nice 120 degree turn one was allowing the other to pass on the inside, and I saw this as I was approaching, so I just gleefully didn't slow down to a proper speed and guided my car at the perfect angle to not slam into them, but still make full contact and push both of them out of the way while using them to keep myself from crossing the white lines and hold traction to speed past them.

Anyone else getting crashes to desktop in this?

I suffered the same in many a Neon Engine game. I haven't even managed to complete a lap yet - straight CTD each time.

My PC is very stable. I haven't had another game crash for over a year. Codemasters doesn't seem to like my PC, I had similar issues with Grid 2.

You mean like in Grid 1? I simply don't understand why they can't give a decent drivers view in what is supposed to be a drivers game.
Codemasters explained during the lead up to Grid 2. They removed the cockpit view and used the performance benefit to enhance the visuals elsewhere. This wasn't well-received, so they've brought it back in Autosport, but have maintained the visuals from Grid 2 so there isn't enough overhead to do the more-detailed interiors like Grid 1 again.

PCs obviously have the grunt to run better interiors, but this isn't a 'next-gen' game - there is no One/PS4 version so the PC is getting a game optimised for 360/PS3. They are limited by what they can achieve with that engine running on last-gen consoles, and can't justify the time/cost of doing highly-detailed interiors for a single platform.

There is a good compromise though. The higher cockpit view - which doesn't include the wheel - is actually a very good and natural camera position. I'd say more like a real car view than being able to see the wheel.

This kind of view is also available in DriveClub.

Dice

I like it in this game. Super detailed cockpits are distracting. When I'm driving IRL my focus shifts onto the road, but in games it doesn't, it's just all in super crisp detail (
sometimes with really awkward arms flying about, like GRID 1
) and that draws my eyes away, but with this game it's out of focus and darker than outside the car, as it should be.

There is a good compromise though. The higher cockpit view - which doesn't include the wheel - is actually a very good and natural camera position. I'd say more like a real car view than being able to see the wheel.
Best view possible if you play with a wheel.

BouncyFrag

I'm on the fence on getting this for the 360. How does the career mode feel in comparison to the previous Grid games or other racers in general? Is there a good sense of progression as you build up your garage, experience, fine tuning, skill etc?

LilJoka

How does the game perform on the PS3? Is it yet another slideshow?

Apparently not great, 360 and PC are the prefferred platforms, its was reported in this thread that the PS3 version suffers some more frame dips than the 360 version. Its probably still playable though, just not ideal.

Finally got my steam code from GMG. Can't wait to load this up. It's a shame it wasn't also released on PS4/XBONE, tho, as I'm dying for a decent non-arcadey racer on PS4.

Has anyone tried it with a Dual Shock 4 yet on PC?

DD

I'm on the fence on getting this for the 360. How does the career mode feel in comparison to the previous Grid games or other racers in general? Is there a good sense of progression as you build up your garage, experience, fine tuning, skill etc?

The career mode is the best one I've seen in years (maybe since forever!). I'm loving it! You don't have a garage like in the previous games. This time you're a race driver racing by contracts. You start on small teams in slower cars, and have to move up by completing your objectives. In this game you're not obliged to win everytime, which is great, and feels much more imersive.

EDIT: and now you can do a free practice session and qualy session if you want to, and even chose the lenght of the races. And this makes all the difference in the world.

Dice

So it seems like the only point to getting XP is to unlock new things, yet it seems there are plenty of things before those thing, maybe even endless. So the amount of XP you get would only control the speed of your progress, but not whether or not you progress. Is that correct?

Top Bottom