• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Broseybrose said:
How exciting! I missed the opening round so this will be my first real coordinated online race. Should be FUN!

Cool pics.

lR4CE.jpg

Cozmick where are you? 10 mins till qualifying!

Anyone here willing to replace him if he doesnt show up?

Also what happened brentech?

Broseybrose

weekend_warrior said:
Cool pics.

lR4CE.jpg
What you did to that pic is awesome!

I had to drop out of the race tonight after one lap.

I spent a week practicing in my own lounge or the GT5NRL lounge, ALWAYS with the same exact settings as GT5NRL (except damage). During practice, my car handled like a dream. I pulled plenty of 1:05 laps.

So now we race and my car cant make it through one lap without spinning out. WTF! And im not talking about that little rain experiment.

I really dont understand. All the settings were the SAME. 2 TC and 1 ABS, everything else OFF. When i skidded out in the first lap after skidding out after every qualifying lap... i was so frustrated i had to drop.

I apologize to the rest of my team.

Dead Man

Well, that was not my finest hour. The start was fine, Memory Cure was glitching a bit, and I ended up inside his car at one point so I fell off the track and got passed, that was fine, then I got slammed at about 600 kph in the last corner, so okay, I went all the way around and pitted, then drove crap and crashed all on my own a couple times. Then I was unlapping myself from one of the 3 laps I was down, then came across Memory Cure again, trying to give him room I spun in the last corner. Again. Ragequit.

Hope you guys had a better race, sorry to my team. I am considering withdrawing from the league.

Sorry dude, everything was fine on my end. Still, I've never been so frustrated doing a race. Till now. Cars were all over the place. I thought I was playing burnout for moment (or two). The incident on the 8th lap was just unavoidable, whoever was driving that M3 or 4WD car. You suck, Lol. I was genuinely pissed off (for a moment), but got over it.

I would love to continue participating in this league but, some (the majority) of the other participates need to partake in some daily practice or something. It's frustrating to lose a place (or entire race) to something you can't control (or avoid for that matter). Practice will help to alleviate this or to point where accidents don't cause any or too much collateral damage.

Dead Man said:
Well, that was not my finest hour. The start was fine, Memory Cure was glitching a bit, and I ended up inside his car at one point so I fell off the track and got passed, that was fine, then I got slammed at about 600 kph in the last corner, so okay, I went all the way around and pitted, then drove crap and crashed all on my own a couple times. Then I was unlapping myself from one of the 3 laps I was down, then came across Memory Cure again, trying to give him room I spun in the last corner. Again. Ragequit.

Hope you guys had a better race, sorry to my team. I am considering withdrawing from the league.

Don't worry about it, everyone knows the the actual race is the shittiest part about the leagues. The fun part is the practice sessions leading up to the race.

Congrats to the podium winners. I thought I had a chance but it wasn't my day.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Sorry dude, everything was fine on my end. Still, I've never been so frustrated doing a race. Till now. Cars were all over the place. I thought I was playing burnout for moment (or two). The incident on the 8th lap was just unavoidable, whoever was driving that M3 or 4WD car. You suck, Lol. I was genuinely pissed off (for a moment), but got over it.

I would love to continue participating in this league but, some (the majority) of the other participates need to partake in some daily practice or something. It's frustrating to lose a place (or entire race) to something you can't control (or avoid for that matter). Practice will help to alleviate this or to point where accidents don't cause any or too much collateral damage.

Yeah I agree, we had some really poor back markers this race, and a couple of bad sportsman.

And apologies go out to BeHest (Vissione), after I watched the replay I realized out close I came to taking you out a few times, luckily your defensive driving skills are well up to par.

At least you guys got to race competitive cars :p

what happend to 32 players in a lobby? I wanted to spectate but the room gets full at 16, fucking PD come on.

brentech

Dead Man said:

Gotta remember, many of the people here aren't in the SuperGT league and therefore this is their first league style event. I'm simply going to chalk it up to that for the most part. Was a few problems I ran across where people should have just known better, but I expect them to clean it up with the second race.

With that in mind, SuperGT league is done 4 races and there is still constant early carnage, so hopefully people will drive a little more cautiously to start.

Right now I'm going through photomode trying to make sense of how stuff went down. Basically a single bump + pinball effect.

Will take a good bit of photos to post over the next few days. Need to get a new router. Played without issue once connected straight to modem, but when I changed back to using the router later, I dropped connection while typing this up. At least I have that figured out...

Dead Man

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

Nah, I don't think any of it was your fault, just bad lag/netcode and bad luck and then shitty driving by me.

UFRA

weekend_warrior said:
Don't worry about it, everyone knows the the actual race is the shittiest part about the leagues. The fun part is the practice sessions leading up to the race.
Congrats to the podium winners. I thought I had a chance but it wasn't my day.

Haha that is so true. I joined these racing leagues thinking "man it will be awesome to race some real people who are better than the AI!!". I go to the practices and have fun, get hyped. Then race day comes and the BS starts happening lol.

Despite managing to pull off a win, I did have to endure the first 15 laps with 3 of my wheels damaged thanks to someone ramming me into a wall on the 2nd corner of lap 1.

The bottom line is people need to relax. As Angst once said, you can't win the race on the first lap, but you can lose it.

Since rolling starts aren't an implemented option in GT5 for ALL tracks, we should consider doing our own "manual" rolling starts...this would at least space us all out at the very least.

I'd also suggest that if we do want to attempt a rain race again, we turn grip reduction to "low" so it's not so difficult.

Edit: Niks and I had a really good race the first 15 laps. It was a perfect example of two racers respecting each others space and remaining competitive. There were times where each of us were in a situation where we had a chance to overtake, but backed off instead of risking it. I'd encourage people to watch the replay when it's posted. Never did Niks or I put each other at a risk, and yet we managed to stay so competitive that we switched positions nearly every lap.

The main problem happening in these leagues is that people see a chance to overtake and they go for it, regardless of thinking - "could something go wrong here?"

And I know, part of it is just "that's racing, dealwithit.gif" but seriously, we aren't pro's. We gotta compromise somewhere and take it easy.

I call dibs on the next race :p. I was looking forward to this race all week even though I wasn't active. The last time I was raced in a league environment like this was F1 CE!

Niks

Some photos from the race.

oOhJk.jpg

AFrgV.jpg

GyXL1.jpg

Nsu13.jpg

W4TPk.jpg

YUsw3.jpg

aKdpB.jpg

ZUiea.jpg

That was some great racing UFRA! races like that is where GT5 really shines. You had the better car so I just hanged in there hoping for a mistake... didn't happen.

My pit crew better start practicing faster pitstops for next time!!!

General comments:
Start of the race and first corner incidents rear their ugly head again. Rolling starts are a must, no other way around it.

Also, thanks to MetalMurphy for making this league.

It was a lot of fun and I hope everyone continues to participate. This is a league for everyone, and if you sucked this race, practice and ask for advice, many of us are willing to help you out.

UFRA

Niks said:
ZUiea.jpg

That was some great racing UFRA! races like that is where GT5 really shines. You had the better car so I just hanged in there hoping for a mistake... didn't happen.

My pit crew better start practicing faster pitstops for next time!!!

Great pics man.

However, I believe I revealed the flaw of your pit stop in this pic. I see your crew is giving you fuel (unless I'm wrong and he is just chilling there close to the car like mine is). This definitely slows down the pit stop. I requested 0 fuel be added to my car on my pit. :p (and a bit LOL at the weird looking damage on that NSX)

And I agree, a big thanks to MM in organizing all of this. It's been a lot of headaches for him along the way I'm sure.

+1 Support for Vissione replay review post above.

I'll even call myself out; I pulled some risky moves during the race, I was overly confident in my ability to handle the Evora. While I didn't cause any accidents, there was opportunity for some to be caused. I was particularly risky within the S bend. I didn't consider the skill of the driver I was overtaking, I left some situations up to 'chance' and luck was apparently on my side.

I also chalk up a lot of what happened to everyone being a bit wore out or tired (especially after the Rain laps<-- Note: While I didn't have a problem with this, I felt that it was unfair to a LOT of other drivers who have been practicing and tuning for a dry race).

Otherwise, I had a good time. Frustration and all.

Edit: Not to say there shouldn't be another Rain race. I'd love to partake in another!

Edit#2: I also hope to see some more people join in on practice! the benefits are awesome, it's how I got my rock solid tune. The more, the merrier.

Dead Man

vissione said:
NeoGAF Racing League Round One - High Speed Ring Review:

Alright long post time:

Dead Man:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/vissione2/daisho.png[IMG]

Video: [url]http://www.justin.tv/vissione/b/279037585[/url]

Notes: Dead Man you can definitely drive the NSX because when you were in the clear you did a time of ~1:05 and kept your way up. However, my entire strategy revolved around you not being able to keep that speed throughout an entire long race. You can clearly see you have no particular weakness on the track when you're not chasing anyone, but as soon as you got close to a car on the last corner you ALWAYS stepped on it and caused your own crashes. You wrecked yourself twice and nobody was around to cause it because you developed a lead foot when you felt you could pass. I don't have any particular advice for you but you surely need to be less aggressive when you see other cars. You're already driving insanely fast unless you think you can do sub 1:00 times under pressure.
[/QUOTE]
LOL, you do me a bit of a favour, it wasn't driving too fast, it was just being shit at the last corner! Even in practise I could not reliably contain the oversteer in the online version of the track. I don't know why PD felt they had to lower the grip for online, but it makes setting up a car a bit trickier as you cannot translate your offline tune to online directly.

When I was behind BrLvgThrChmstry I consciously made the effort to slow down and the last corner still bit me in the arse! But yeah, the car is fast, I just can't drive it very well.

Thanks for the vid, too, appreciate it. Especially since my pathetic ragequit stopped me from grabbing the replay. :D

Though I had 5th in the bag for sure. Ended up in front of a few people, was confident had no problem controlling the car and getting 1.07 lap times consistently. Decided to pit lap 16 and then have a clear run to the finish with fresh tires. After pit I was still in 5th , was going past the bridge and noticed Bear Grylls all over the place, hoping he would not hit me I tried to speed past him in the tunnel, ended up getting hit and thrown straight into the pits. I as so mad waiting in the pits and seeing u guys pass me and ending up behind. Almost quit the game.

The race was so frustrating. A rolling start seems like a good idea, but my car is fast at accelerating of the line I easily gain a few places at the start because of that.

Angst

I just watched the stream, first corner was predictably a total fuck up with a gigantic cloud of tyre/dirt smoke hanging over the track and cars bouncing around like a destruction derby. Funny to watch - not so funny getting your car smashed to pieces...

We've had similar issues in the Super GT league, but IMO it's better now that people have done a few races and learned not to go full blast on cold tyres. I expect thing to improve as people get racing experience. Still, shit that like this happens in the Formula 1 circus as well.

What was the final result btw?

Edit: Ok, I found the results. Congrats Ufra, Niks and MemoryCure for the podium.

And one more thing: don't ragequit. Keep racing and stay until end of race. So your car got smashed up and it's somebody else's fault? So what? Hit the pits, repair the damage and keep racing. People will fuck up again and you can gain a lot of positions in the field. It's about respect and if everybody quits when they see they have no chance of #1 Ufra would have been racing alone for the last ten laps or so...

Notes: Excellent driver and there's not much I can say to help. I wish I could drive an FR as confidently for 30 laps. However I will say that your mistake in the very first lap cost Mil6es his lap as well, and I believe he actually cleared the first corner fine. I can't believe you actually turned around and went in reverse to get in the pit, that could have been a bigger disaster than it already was. I did not expect the league organizer to actually turn around. When you finally got your rhythm back you were clean and concise but at one particular corner you were passed by BrLvgThrChmstry and you developed a lead foot on the last corner. This guy is lapping you but you decide to floor it through the last corner, hit him and damage yourself and cost him first place. Why!?!?
For the record "my mistake" was hitting someone that was spinning out. You don't really see it with all that smoke but that's what happened, I could not avoid it. As for mil6es, I do apologize but with the inclination on that turn I just couldn't keep the car still, I didn't reverse, the car just fell. Concerning the reverse and the pits, yeah I shouldn't have done it, but I only decided to do it after I realized the people coming were already inside the pits so there would be no danger. Needless to say I was kinda pissed off at that point but yeah, shouldn't have done it.

As for BrLvgThrChmstr, I really don't remember what happened, will have to check it out.

It's awesome that you actually captured all those laps and did the analysis. Many thanks for that vissione.

I will make a big post about what I thought of this race in a bit.

*edit* Are you talking about 13:10 here:
http://www.justin.tv/vissione/b/279038957
?

You can clearly see that he hits the wall and then hits me. I was the victim there :p Also he was not in first place. As for being lapped, that's no reason to go easy, infact, If I'm being lapped you better bet I'm gonna use him to slipstream my way down a few seconds. Lapped players SHOULD NOT race differently. In fact I almost crashed because some lapped racer decided to get out of the way while I was overtaking. (see 19:05 here http://www.justin.tv/vissione/b/279038957 ) DON'T DO THAT! People aren't expecting that. Keep to your racing line, race as you normally do. It's the other racers that have to overtake you, it's not your job to get out of the way.

mil6es

Notes: You caused the collision on the very first corner by taking the outside line too tightly and hitting the barrier. You bounced off and cut off nearly half of the competitors that had chosen outside lines. I recommend since you have that extra traction on your side to slow down because you have more control over your entry and exit angles. Before your tires get warm on the first lap you don't want to go overboard. On the very last corner before the goal you hit the guard rail like a few of the others. If you practiced the course you should have been able to clear it with ease with a 4WD. You may need to adjust your suspension for cornering and be wary of your entry speed. You shouldn't go in over 130MPH unless you know what you're doing! It's a shame you rage quit so early but if you had no confidence to clear laps maybe it was for the best.

I "rage quit" because it was 3:20AM by then and I was falling asleep hence all the mistakes.
also metal dont worry about the hit, thats racing.

side note if we kept with the frist race I would of been more alert and would of finished second :p

gunther

vissione said:
NeoGAF Racing League Round One - High Speed Ring Review:

Alright long post time:

gunther:
bear.png

Video: http://www.justin.tv/vissione/b/279040485

Notes: Ok nevermind, this is with whom I really am disappoint son. Jesus christ. On one hand I congratulate you since you actually tried to finish the race despite EPIC mishaps. However, first and foremost you drove nearly the first 6 laps entirely damaged. I don't mean a little damage... I mean you were driving a time-bomb. You were in 6th place, so I assume you thought it would be best to just keep your position rather than lose it to a pit stop? Well let me just say you caused a lot of racers to lose THEIR positions simply because half the time you were just parked in the middle of the road. I, in particular, was LAPPING you and I just ran straight into you because you spun out on the last corner completely unable to properly turn your car. Once you came to your senses (you lost your 6th spot and dropped to 12th) you finally pitted, but you continued to attack every corner like a mad man. Your fastest lap on a "clean" lap was ~1:09 with the NSX. Why did you choose that car if you could only handle a ~1:09 best time? Maybe you took the posts about how the NSX was demolishing the competition during practice runs as an indication that it's easy to drive but... I actually drove the NSX and while I could see how fast it was myself, I could also see I couldn't drive it fast as my car for a long time. You barely made any laps without hitting something. Next time if you sign up for a race you really need to practice your entry speed and tune your car to meet your expectations. You need to slow down to go fast. Your entry speeds into corners were insane, and with that many pits you kept trying it with cold tires. You need to practice long races with your car to get a feel for how it performs from cold on the grid to 20+ laps in with little grip left on your front tires. I've never seen a car in GT5 get as much damage as yours, it was starting to deform and get curvy like a Mazda RX-7. What you need the most is practice, practice, and more practice. Oh and a new car.

I didnt race yesterday? why i am in there :(.

Also it is true that the nsx is a really hard to drive car. Oversteer is a huge proble and in my setup extremely edgy. At on time you have lots of grip on the back of the car and in the other you are fighting to retain control. On the other side that makes it a really fun car.

edit: For the record my best time ever registered in the high speed ring with nsx is 1.03.95 during offline practices.

weekend_warrior said:
Man that is one sad looking NSX up there. :lol

I need to see the replay.. But man It felt like I was out of the race after the first 2 corners. After the crazy(bad) start I got frustrated and couldn't keep my car on the road. Sorry again sunhil for pitting you on that one lap...

No worries Lead Farmer. It was an accident, i could have also avoided it by slowing down. I was kicking myself yesterday thinking about the race, still haven't put on my ps3 since the race, but decided to let it go and just look foward to practice sessions. And the next race i can participate in.

yTVRU.jpg

Individual rankings as well as updated OP in a bit.

And let me remind everyone that last place is STILL 15 points. By rage quitting you are stealing AT LEAST 15 points from your team. Think about that next time ;)

vissione said:
You are so right about 13:10 in thats what I took notes on but I definitely saw it wrong. I think you were one of the last ones I decided to review. Anyhow, BrLvgThrChmstry definitely caused you the damage not the other way around and he wasn't even in first place at that point. I apologize. As for Spartan666 (whoever that is), I actually did a lot of that myself. After I lost confidence in drivers ahead of me, I preferred to slow down through the bends, LET people pass me, and slipstream passed them on the exit towards the long straight. It worked nearly every time and I didn't have to bother with being pressured or pressuring another car. I'm not adept at high level racing theory... the only thing GT has taught me is to buy a faster car than everyone else on the track. Damn you Kaz :(

Also is the savedata supposed to be a folder? I've never done this but I believe this is the NTSC replay file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z4STJAGL
Yes that seems to be it.

Also, for the record, I'm not actually mad at anyone (perhaps a little bit mad at the quitters, but considering the race got delayed by 1 hour I'll just forget about it), just shedding some of my knowledge/opinions to anyhow, and I do appreciate your reviews on the race quite alot. Doing a great work.

Top Bottom