• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Broseybrose

vissione said:
Notes: You had a very good handling of the NSX and could have remained competitive. I don't understand why you lost control on a straight and just left the race soon afterwards. Seriously... on straight with the grass? I am disappoint son. Worst ragequit ever.

Video: http://www.justin.tv/vissione/b/279035415
First, let me say i appreciate the upload, but your analysis was off.

I lost control at the last turn of the first lap, which has never happened to me before - until every single lap i ran last night.

As soon as i started practicing on the server last night, my NSX went from a dream car to a 'tires made of ice' car. But i had practiced on that server all week and it drove like a dream?!?!?!

Thats why i was repeatedly leaving the race during practice and qualifying - i was trying to figure out what the fuck the problem was. Everything was set the way it should be, though. I STILL dont know what the difference between all my practicing and last night was. All aids off except TC=2 and ABS=1. It was hopeless.

So i knew i was gonna wipe out at that turn in the first lap. When it happened i was so mad with confusion and frustration that i was unable to recover. Went from second place to last place while facing a wall... and quit.

Schmitty

Team Remedy didn't have a good turnout. Really sorry I had to retire last minute, couldn't help it. I know I'll be there for next round

brentech

Just got back from buying a new router and setting it up (I was going nuts last night when that shit kept cutting out, luckily the direct to cable modem worked fine). Currently transferring video to XMB and taking pictures, then will have uploads available.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Y2Shl.png

D9LXY.png

b4jNX.jpg

YfV2W.jpg

(click the Names to see a Photo of the racer in action)

Avaya (SUB) - Retired
Mile6s (SUB) - Retired

Can anyone upload a NTSC replay?
Nicely displayed race results MM! Although I think Niks was in a Renault, not a BMW.

Broseybrose said:
First, let me say i appreciate the upload, but your analysis was off.

I lost control at the last turn of the first lap, which has never happened to me before - until every single lap i ran last night.

As soon as i started practicing on the server last night, my NSX went from a dream car to a 'tires made of ice' car. But i had practiced on that server all week and it drove like a dream?!?!?!

Thats why i was repeatedly leaving the race during practice and qualifying - i was trying to figure out what the fuck the problem was. Everything was set the way it should be, though. I STILL dont know what the difference between all my practicing and last night was. All aids off except TC=2 and ABS=1. It was hopeless.

So i knew i was gonna wipe out at that turn in the first lap. When it happened i was so mad with confusion and frustration that i was unable to recover. Went from second place to last place while facing a wall... and quit.

You never have as much grip online as you do offline, and you never have as much grip during a race as during practice. You can't try to run hot laps during a race. You have to take the conservative approach every single corner, don't ever wreak yourself (or someone else) trying to pick up a second per lap.

Respect Knuckles to Vissione for his analysis. Hopefully some people will learn from this and we'll see more participation in the practice sessions.

Schmitty

weekend_warrior said:
You never have as much grip online as you do offline, and you never have as much grip during a race as during practice. You can't try to run hot laps during a race. You have to take the conservative approach every single corner, don't ever wreak yourself (or someone else) trying to pick up a second per lap.

Respect Knuckles to Vissione for his analysis. Hopefully some people will learn from this and we'll see more participation in the practice sessions.
So dumb. Doesn't make any sense why PD would do this. Why bother practicing if the car will handle completely different around turns in the race?

brentech

As long as you practice online with real grip simulation it's just a difference in how quickly your tire degrades. During a race, you have to adjust your line due to other cars quite often which leads to some lost compound. We also start off from a stop(in warm up you're coming out of the pit already at speed) in which many people probably burn quite a bit of tire at the line as well.

Other than for those reasons, handling is essentially the same. It's not going to magically under/oversteer on its own. It will have been caused by the loss of grip which means you have to adjust your throttle control as time goes on.

I honestly don't feel these differences you guys keep mentioning. I didn't feel them for the SuperGT cars either.

I mean the tyres are always at the ideal temperature during practice (light blue), and in online races they start out, , or when you exit the pits, cold with less grip (dark blue). But besides that, I really don't see any differences. Unless ofc, you have Skid Recovery Force on.

UFRA

Someone brought up a good point. If we do want to have rain races in the future, we should know about them to avoid the whining lol.

MM, maybe you should just reveal the entire track list for the season (except the special events if you want) so that we just know ahead of time and can practice. Obviously 1 week isn't enough time to practice since we had many people that struggled.

UFRA said:
Someone brought up a good point. If we do want to have rain races in the future, we should know about them to avoid the whining lol.

MM, maybe you should just reveal the entire track list for the season (except the special events if you want) so that we just know ahead of time and can practice. Obviously 1 week isn't enough time to practice since we had many people that struggled.
That's the whole point of dynamic weather. You don't know about them >.<

Also races are 2 weeks apart not 1.

UFRA

Metalmurphy said:
That's the whole point of dynamic weather. You don't know about them >.<

Also races are 2 weeks apart not 1.

You have to make some compromise dude.

Obviously this league is not into the hardcore dynamic weather idea. Everyone had a mega whine fest. If we could have rain races and still make people happy, then the best thing to do would be let the people know. I enjoyed the rain race, and would like to see some in the league. But it's not going to work if you spring it up on people last minute. We'll see more rage quitting than a MW2 hacked lobby.

Edit: Nvm, I see, the actual "rounds" are 2 weeks apart, but the special events sneak in between sometimes.

Broseybrose

Schmitty said:
So dumb. Doesn't make any sense why PD would do this. Why bother practicing if the car will handle completely different around turns in the race?
Exactly why i rage quit last night. However, i will continue to persevere, and unless a teammate wants my spot for the next race, ill be there.
And ill be practicing online a lot, maybe try to get some real races going online so i know what the car will handle like during the race.

It didnt have a gd thing to do with tire wear or drivers in my way...

Rain races are awesome and change the whole dynamic of the race especially if the rain is dynamic. I think people just need to practice in the rain aswell if the track has that option. I did a few practice sessions in the rain at high speed ring, so i wasn't concerned when it started raining. Practice sessions can help you learn alot about your car.

SunhiLegend said:
Rain races are awesome and change the whole dynamic of the race especially if the rain is dynamic. I think people just need to practice in the rain aswell if the track has that option. I did a few practice sessions in the rain at high speed ring, so i wasn't concerned when it started raining. Practice sessions can help you learn alot about your car.

Eh, gonna have disagree. I mean, my assumption is most of the participates are average/casual players and The league is focused on casual racing. I felt the unannounced arrival gave already crippled players less of a reason to want to race.

Whining? ...ok, but even as a player who was ok with it, I still felt it was unfair to many other racers who were prepared for a dry race only. This league doesn't consist only of experienced racers. Call it whining if you want... But It was pretty damn legitimate.

I don't know, as far as moving forward... I don't see a problem with them as long as people are made aware of them ahead of time.

avaya

vissione said:
avaya:

Video: http://www.justin.tv/vissione/b/279036316

Notes: Your performance was probably half not your fault. Honestly I think MM needs to back off and let everyone drive whatever they're best with because clearly you had some issues with the Lotus on the last corner. You smoothly tackled every corner and wrecked yourself without intervention on the last corner towards the straight. Your entry speed was averaging around 140 and you'd brake extremely late. If you were confident you could pull it off in an NSX my hats off to you, but in the Lotus that was the only downside of your driving it cost you many pits. You can't hide the fact that you gave up easily... your car suddenly shifted down to 2nd gear and coasted and then you disappeared. You didn't disconnect, that's rage quitting.

Actually have no problem with the Evora, could run 1:04 flats without a problem offline. I could not understand at all why there was suddenly no grip on-line, first time trying online in GT5. Thought it was a car problem, car should have been on rails on the final corner on those tyres, now I know. Maybe need to do more practice sessions online to see the grip level for myself. I did get disconnected since I paused to try and get another DS3 when the battery ran out and tripped my network cable (it was 3:30 in the morning). Incidentally may have fared better with the G25 for the last corner. Anyway, was an interesting race to say the least, I don't know why we restarted again in the middle of the rain race, even though it was horrific at the beginning was getting used to it.

Broseybrose

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Eh, gonna have disagree. I mean, my assumption is most of the participates are average/casual players and The league is focused on casual racing. I felt the unannounced arrival gave already crippled players less of a reason to want to race.

Whining? ...ok, but even as a player who was ok with it, I still felt it was unfair to many other racers who were prepared for a dry race only. This league doesn't consist only of experienced racers. Call it whining if you want... But It was pretty damn legitimate.

I don't know, as far as moving forward... I don't see a problem with them as long as people are made aware of them ahead of time.
Agreed.

Also, nice job keeping us on the scoreboard, cap'n. I didnt realize that we get 15 points just for completing the race, otherwise i wouldve stuck it out. Lesson learned.

Broseybrose

avaya said:
Actually have no problem with the Evora, could run 1:04 flats without a problem offline. I could not understand at all why there was suddenly no grip on-line, first time trying online in GT5. Thought it was a car problem, car should have been on rails on the final corner on those tyres, now I know. Maybe need to do more practice sessions online to see the grip level for myself. I did get disconnected since I paused to try and get another DS3 when the battery ran out and tripped my network cable (it was 3:30 in the morning). Incidentally may have fared better with the G25 for the last corner. Anyway, was an interesting race to say the least, I don't know why we restarted again in the middle of the rain race, even though it was horrific at the beginning was getting used to it.
I had the same problem, except i was practicing online. So strange.

CozMick

Banned
Sorry for letting team FR4WD down last night :(

I thought I could beat my body clock and make it past the 2am start, but my eyes gave up at 1:15am.

Sounded like one hell of a first lap :p

*fingers crossed, Round 2 is a GMT friendly start ;)*

In online races the track is not automatically rubbered in like offline. You also have less grip because of tire wear. I usually don't try to match my practice times in the race because the braking points are earlier and going too fast would just get me into the wall.

OP Updated with new registered cars, rankings, and the new race.

Toxa is currently looking for a team. If some team has inactive members (aren't replying to PMs or something) get in contact with him. Otherwise I'll put him in some team my self.

Round 2
5KZ2T.png

Grand Valley Speedway

Length: 4944.8m/3.07mi Longest Straight: 820m/0.51mi Elevation Change: 20.5m/67.3ft Corners: 18
(Click here for the race map)

Race starts in:
t1298131200z0.png

How to join:
Add the PS3 account "GT5NRL" to your friends list and join the private lounge.​

Players Participating in Round 1 (4/16):

UFRA

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

I called it whining because people waited until the actual race 5-7 laps in to start complaining.

When the track changed to rain, only two people in the lobby said "rain?" or something to that effect. If people had a problem with it and felt un-prepared, they should have voiced that immediately.

Instead, we started the race and a few of us could handle it and were doing alright. Tons of people were crashing and THEN started to complain about it, after those of us who could handle it maintained a decent race.

Don't forget both sides of the spectrum, I got screwed over, and LUCKILY still got my win. Imagine how I would have felt if I lost the actual sunny race that counted after I had a 1 minute lead over everyone the previous race...

A lot of people may have felt the rain was unfair, and that's fine I can appreciate that, but it didn't exactly feel good to have a win stripped from you either when you did nothing wrong (and spent TONS of time practicing, helping others, and preparing)...so if I may toss the word whining around, it's to vent my frustration on my end of the story too. I don't mean to be attacking people. And I wasn't prepared for an actual rain race either. I only did 2 practice races in the rain and came last both times. When it came to the real deal I drove very conservatively and look how it turned out...

I could have bitched about that whole situation majorly. I could have demanded that I start in 1st on the sunny race or that I get to resume my 1 minute lead. Instead I just dealt with it.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, and I hope you guys wouldn't think "wow what a prick" but damn at least think about the other side of things because I felt pretty crappy too. lol

gunther

vissione said:
I've never ever raced in the rain except for that one time we did a practice run in the rain and I was giggling like a school girl while sliding all over the place. I'm only level 21 and I've never seen it rain a track except in trailers. At least that time the game let me choose rain tires and I did have some grip. I only left after nearly half of the racers left, I didn't once stop my car to complain because I had an advantage even if I didn't practice in the rain. BUT! I don't understand why it wouldn't switch from intermediate tires to rain tires... seriously... it was pouring rain it wasn't just wet track.

I'm going to practice for all situations now since we have such a long time... and whatever comes up, comes up. I'm going to hope it rains again so I have an advantage.

As for Toxa, apparently the fastest unverified lap is 1:03:95 by our Chilean (is that correct?) associate Gunther. Apparently South Americans are really good drivers or so I've heard. *wink*.

yes im chilean.

I just checked and my best time was 1.03.997. Note that i could have had a couple more hp cause my nsx for some weird reason gained more hp as i raced it.

Major effin' Edit: I don't even care anymore. Seems like a lot of finger pointing (some legitimate, some not -- but altogether, it's pointless). The League is meant to be fun and stuff. So whatever.

I'd really like to know what lap times people put up during the rain race qualifying. Because I did a low 1:08, and I was passing everybody. I was number 1 on my screen the entire time, on a board that should have been cleared, but still had the same 1:03.98 from the dry practice laps. So unless 6 people did better then 1:08 on the wet track, then I got jacked too.

No biggie though, cause I'm really digging this league and the (mostly) good variety of cars.

However... why we gotta wait 2 weeks between each race? And if I have to sit out for a team mate thats a full month! I wanna race naaaaaaaaaaaao. :(

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Hell, even during the dry race, I was destroyed by another racer who wrecked and pinballed across the effin' track. I was pissed. I literally felt like I had a victory ripped from my hands because of someone else. But the show went on...

Yeah I won't name names either but somebody fucking rammed me in the S-turns. Like straight up no brakes rammed me into the wall. And it was after I had climbed up from 12th to 5th. I was like wtffffffffff?

weekend_warrior said:
I'd really like to know what lap times people put up during the rain race qualifying. Because I did a low 1:08, and I was passing everybody. I was number 1 on my screen the entire time, on a board that should have been cleared, but still had the same 1:03.98 from the dry practice laps. So unless 6 people did better then 1:08 on the wet track, then I got jacked too.

No biggie though, cause I'm really digging this league and the (mostly) good variety of cars.

However... why we gotta wait 2 weeks between each race? And if I have to sit out for a team mate thats a full month! I wanna race naaaaaaaaaaaao. :(

Yeah I won't name names either but somebody fucking rammed me in the S-turns. Like straight up no brakes rammed me into the wall. And it was after I had climbed up from 12th to 5th. I was like wtffffffffff?

Could have been me... I was reckless. SORRY!

brentech

Starting Grid

Race begins.

Mil6es comes hard off the bank rubbing WW (see smudge on Audi rear quarter)

Collision causes loss of control into spin.

Brentech slows to avoid the chaos, but must 'Days of Thunder' through the smoke.

Impact with ping-ponged car.

Smashing into guard rail.

Firewire and Vissione

Group of car making it through 1st lap.

Seemed like this wreck was unabated. Didn't see contact, but would have to look closer.

MM looking the worse of it.

UFRA/Niks racing

UFRA

Awesome bridge chase scene. UFRA/Niks

The pit scene after lap 1.

After pitting, Brentech chasing WW

The lead by BrLvgThrChmstry after a few laps.

A few bumps in there. I think both took minor damage.

Micro epic-ness.

BroseyBrose looses control untouched.

Car loses control, spinning and wrecking BrLvgThrChmstry.

WW goes for a pass on FireWire, but actually pulls back in the turn playing it safe.

WW passed them on the bridge and brakes going into the S's. FireWire carrying too much speed into the turn and smashes into WW.

Brentech behind FireWire on straight. Fire gets right wheels into grass.

Collision ensues.

Running lap 15 into the pits.

Lead Farmer looking rough.

Vissione looking like hell, but amazing only sporting minor damage at this point.

The final turn overtake of Vissione after completed AI cars take his line.

Full NTSC
I might have names wrong under photos. Was trying my best to match off the pictured grid MM made, let me know if any need changing.

Broseybrose

Really good work Brentech!

That was me in that orange NSX losing control for no reason at all.

Actually i figured out what the difference between my practices and last night was. Last night, the rain slipperiness was set to real which i never bothered to do because i wasnt racing in the rain.

However this setting doesnt only affect wet tracks. It affects the edges of dry tracks also. I didnt know this, which was why i was losing control every time i attempted that last bend.

Everything would seem fine, then in the second half of that last bend (where the angle gets really steep) my car would all of a sudden nose dive into the inside guard rail.

Tonight i was practicing online with the real rain slip setting on and the same thing happened. So that was the difference. Turns out all i needed to do was add a more rear camber. Then i was able to make it through that last bend ok.

But online tracks with real rain settings are truly slipperier, even when its bright and sunny and dry. Good to know, especially if the rest of the races are going to have that setting.

So make sure you guys have your rain slipperiness set to real when practicing, otherwise youre in for a totally different experience that youre used to, like what happened to me last night.

Broseybrose

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Major effin' Edit: I don't even care anymore. Seems like a lot of finger pointing (some legitimate, some not -- but altogether, it's pointless). The League is meant to be fun and stuff. So whatever.
What's this? Dont let it get to you, BrLvg.

Team Fast Windmills needs you. I need you. =]

UFRA

I declare brentech the official photographer of the NRL. LOL

Awesome job dude. Definitely the coolest recap of a league race I've seen yet. You captured all sorts of action that not everyone got to see.

weekend_warrior said:

I ran a 1:10 in the rain and started 13th lol.

SunhiLegend said:
I ran a 1.06 in the rain and was first on my hud the whole qualifying in the rain. Ended up 8th on the grid.

Rain qualification was messed up cause someone decided to leave the pits and do a lap before I said it was ok >.< Some people weren't even on the track yet. Also many people left the track to change tires instead of doing it so on the pits, which also messes up the HUD display.

Niks

MM, we did some testing yesterday for the Super GT league, we tried to do the rolling start with a parade lap, and it worked very well in avoiding first lap carnage.

imo we should also consider it for this league.

Awesome job with all the graphics and photos guys, it adds a lot to the league.

I'm in for the next race! I'm also really glad I decided to come in the room and spectate because now our team is in third! Well, since I did race last time, I'm willing to give up my spot if someone else wants in, but for now im in!

Question about rain racing: If it starts raining before the race, but you have intermediate tires on, whats the procedure there? Do you do the first lap and go into pits, or would the whole group have wet tires on automatically before the race starts?

Also there is no mandatory pitting right? If your tires make it through the whole race you wouldn't need to pit I assume.

Evertime i practiced at HSR, when it started to rain i was always able to complete at least 2 flying laps with racing softs using the same braking line as a dry track. After a couple of laps I change to rain tires. When it started raining during quali i kept my softs on and completed a 1.06 then changed to rain tires for the race. Was watching replay and noticed MM got hit a few times, and all of them seem to be a mistake by the other driver. It would have been more if you didn't dodge some of them.

Top Bottom