• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Angst

Dead Man said:
Dude, don't take it to heart, just practise some more. And White Shadow is just an angry young man :p
Agreed.

Just show up in practice and we will be happy to help you out with settings, driving lines etc. This is all for fun. And it's quite nice to see yourself improve with time. I know I wouldn't have won if I hadn't practiced a lot - and I raced here in the Super GT league as well, where Toxa really, really helped me improve in practice sessions.

Thanks for the congratulations! I had a great time and I don't think I messed up the race for anyone else. It was very close on the first lap when Weekend Warrior had to panic break in a hairpin with me right behind him. I could count the number of pixels in his rear lights, it was that close. Had no issues with backmarkers either. I did take it very easy when lapping though, it might have been another story if someone was 3 seconds behind me.

Edit - and for the record: the BMW M3 CSL is wickedly fast :p

Dead Man

Angst said:
Agreed.

Just show up in practice and we will be happy to help you out with settings, driving lines etc. This is all for fun. And it's quite nice to see yourself improve with time. I know I wouldn't have won if I hadn't practiced a lot - and I raced here in the Super GT league as well, where Toxa really, really helped me improve in practice sessions.

Thanks for the congratulations! I had a great time and I don't think I messed up the race for anyone else. It was very close on the first lap when Weekend Warrior had to panic break in a hairpin with me right behind him. I could count the number of pixels in his rear lights, it was that close. Had no issues with backmarkers either. I did take it very easy when lapping though, it might have been another story if someone was 3 seconds behind me.

Edit - and for the record: the BMW M3 CSL is wickedly fast :p
Yes it is, I almost chose it. Great race, your tyres must have been shredded with the rate I was pulling away from you in the last few laps. I think it would have been a close race if I had managed to stay out of trouble. I watched the replay, Assassin steamed into the back of me and wiped out the engine and both rear wheels, you were right there with me though, just luckier today!

Edit: And someone in the Main GT5 thread had the balls to try to tell me GT has a qualy system! :lol

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
Oh wow Brentech, poor form on the 1st lap. That was just... silly.
Did you actually pause it and see what happened? Cause I guarantee that you did not.
I started the race, went around MM as he didn't seem to get off the line. Leading into turn 1, there was myself and white car (behest I believe). Suddenly, 3rd car...yellow Lancer, slips past on my left...damages Behest and spins him out, after that, the Lancer clips my front left and damages the car.

From there, I slide into the grass and am unable to gain control of the car. Due to the turn I do get back on the track, but the damage has me so loose that I just drift back into grass and then shoot across the track as I can't straighten out my car to put on brakes in the grass.
You could say I might have had a short moment to brake while on the track....but i'd of been in the middle of the track. If you seriously think anything different would of happened by braking in the grass..well, I can't agree at all.

There was also a wreck behind said occurred before any of this happened.

RimaAl.jpg

BOVyOl.jpg

jWTFKl.jpg

E3BVal.jpg

mRJBml.jpg

Dead Man

vissione said:
gvsresults.png

Horrible, horrible performance by me. I cracked after I got hit first corner and then mis-shifted on my way back up with :(. Congrats to the winners though.
Reposting results for the new page. Quite happy to get 6th after three pit stops, one necessitated by the guy in 7th!

I made a good three critical mistakes.

Dead man, a million apologies, I just watched the replay as well and it was an avoidable bump for sure, but it wasn't malicious or anything. Its pretty tricky avoiding the front when speed is fluctuating so much unpredictably. You avoided another car and lost some speed and I hit you.

After that I did well behind Angst, we might have traded a little paint but imo I did well to avoid hitting him and I was following him like an ambulance for a little while there :p.

Dead Man said:
And what the hell at the qualy. I maybe didn't have pole. but a 1:53 should have been a bit further up I would have thought.

That miiiiiiiiiight have been my fault. On my hot lap I was hit and went back to the pits through the menu. Can that screw things up? I never went back to the main menu, just the pit menu.

Dead Man

Lion Heart said:
I made a good three critical mistakes.

Dead man, a million apologies, I just watched the replay as well and it was an avoidable bump for sure, but it wasn't malicious or anything. Its pretty tricky avoiding the front when speed is fluctuating so much unpredictably. You avoided another car and lost some speed and I hit you.

After that I did well behind Angst, we might have traded a little paint but imo I did well to avoid hitting him and I was following him like an ambulance for a little while there :p.
Apologies accepted, shit happens!

Edit: I say we just start with a random grid, that way people won't be thrown out of kilter when they start somewhere they weren't expecting.

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
Neat, I am the only one who has zero aerodynamic parts installed on my car :) 20 years older than the second oldest car too. Go old Ferrari!
Lol I didn't see that. Yeah good driving! That car was perhaps 10 years before its time compared to others at that time.

Also apologies to white shadow, I bumped you at the end, haven't watched the replay yet but you did go pretty slow :p

I tried to give you the position back but you didn't get on the throttle, so I got hit by dead man and eventually lost the position (karma ftw)

brentech

contact_gutter.jpg

Just to show where my throttle was at. I was faithfully trying to just get control of my damaged car when my back slid from under me in the grass...into you.
When I was in the grass, my throttle was in the same place. Wasn't doing anything ridiculous. Just trying to get my car under control from being hit.

Will have a full photo-recap later.

Yes at that point you had backed off the throttle, but there is a good second or two where you are modulating near full throttle with 4 wheels on grass. I don't think I saw a single dab of brake the entire time you were bouncing through the everglades.

I know it happens, racing incident but, lordy you went flying across that track.

Edit: Most of all, you gave my blue beauty an ugly mug the rest of the race! hehe

Angst

Some pics:

The closest I came to an incident - I very nearly ruined Weekend warrior's race but managed to brake in time:
2VaiEl.jpg

Same, but another angle where you can see how close it was:
Inz3kl.jpg

Pit stop dudes earning their pay after first lap:
PBRf1l.jpg

I pass Schmitty on the start of lap 4, after that it was pretty uneventful for me:
vdTKUl.jpg

EDIT - can someone please upload their NTSC replay to mediafire or something?

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
Yes at that point you had backed off the throttle, but there is a good second or two where you are modulating near full throttle with 4 wheels on grass. I don't think I saw a single dab of brake the entire time you were bouncing through the everglades.

I know it happens, racing incident but, lordy you went flying across that track.

As I said earlier, I tried to avoid being hit to begin with by going onto the grass/curb.
Still got hit while out there, and while I managed to get onto the track for an instant. I couldn't just slam on brakes with the traffic behind me.
My damage sent me into the grass again, and hitting the brakes there would have resulted into a slide as well. I just tried to manage my throttle and gain control, but it obviously didn't happen.

contact_gutter_1.jpg

After getting hit, I came out of grass and felt like I was stable....

contact_gutter_2.jpg

But my damage pulls me back into the grass

contact_gutter_3.jpg

Throttle off completely.

contact_gutter_4.jpg

Still off, but simply lose control.

I clearly hit you and I'm sorry the whole thing occurred, but none of the early carnage started with my driving and I'm just trying to make the point that there wasn't a whole lot else I could do. The "poor form -- You tried to stay full throttle while blasting through the grass!" comment kind of pisses me off (as it simply isn't true and you just assumed that's what happened) as I simply try to drive defensively while still racing - as I'm sure most do. Yet, like you, I always end up destroyed by an early incident.
Hell, before I even took damage, I tried to avoid the Lancer, by going 2 on the curb and 2 in the grass - but it still came across and hit me.

I might be a little salty but I stand by what I say. Sorry Brosey but you're a complete menace on the track, you caused and nearly caused about a dozen accidents today. You admit to being slow, and nobody would blame you for just that, but despite knowing this you still act over aggressive at every opportunity. If you want to race, then you need to start coming to practices and learn about racing etiquette.

Apologizes to CozMick for causing you damage on the 4th lap, it was a slight bump that only did minor damage to my front so I was hoping it was minor for you too but it looked like you had to pit a lap after.

BTW, the replay system has been greatly improved. You can cycle through players easier, and now you can watch from every cars perspective instead of just the cinematic angle. Now they just need to add rewind, slow motion, and skip ahead.

I messed up big time on the first corner, clipped behest by accident and tried to avoid anyone else. Was doing fine in practice, don't know what happened during the race. Very sorry if i hit anyone else, i think i also hit brentech. Was completely my fault, should have been more cautious. Hate GVS. Hope you guys had a good race.

brentech

weekend_warrior said:
Now they just need to add rewind, slow motion, and skip ahead.
Seriously. Probably my biggest desire for the game at this point. Can't understand how it wasn't there to begin - and I'm starting to feel it never will be.

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
I might be a little salty but I stand by what I say. Sorry Brosey but you're a complete menace on the track, you caused and nearly caused about a dozen accidents today. You admit to being slow, and nobody would blame you for just that, but despite knowing this you still act over aggressive at every opportunity. If you want to race, then you need to start coming to practices and learn about racing etiquette.

Apologizes to CozMick for causing you damage on the 4th lap, it was a slight bump that only did minor damage to my front so I was hoping it was minor for you too but it looked like you had to pit a lap after.

BTW, the replay system has been greatly improved. You can cycle through players easier, and now you can watch from every cars perspective instead of just the cinematic angle. Now they just need to add rewind, slow motion, and skip ahead.
I watched the replay from brosey's angle. He didn't get a good first lap, but after pitting he did race for something like 6 laps without any major issues and did pretty good lap times. Then he went off track at turn 1 and got in the way of Toxa who beeped his horn angrily.

I'm not saying this to point fingers at you brosey, but those laps where good and if you just practice a little bit more online with us (need to be online as practicing offline isn't the same) you would definitely be competitive. You don't need much, just need to learn how much and when you can push the car and when not to. And what to expect when racing in a pack of humans instead of AIs. All IMO of course :D

brentech

Angst said:
You don't need much, just need to learn how much and when you can push the car and when not to. And what to expect when racing in a pack of humans instead of AIs. All IMO of course :D
^
Is essentially the entire issue with every single race in either league.

Most people drive quite decent through most the race, but when going into turns with someone nearby, they often want to 'race' instead of manage the course and go into it too fast.
I'd say that was probably the issue of the first turn today and almost every event GAF shares. Hitting an AI opponent is somewhat meaningless since they don't care to argue or tell you they're being cheating. But when it's another person, it's sort of devastating.

When I do picture recaps of our races, I notice I often take plenty of wreck shots. I'm not trying to place blame in these, but rather explain the situation with visual detail. And lets face it people rubberneck for a reason. They want to see what went down.

I cost myself some places later in the race when I was just on my own and went too fast into a turn....and into sand. Wasn't instantly a loss of place, but later on the time I spent getting turned back around caught up with me.

brentech said:
I clearly hit you and I'm sorry the whole thing occurred, but none of the early carnage started with my driving and I'm just trying to make the point that there wasn't a whole lot else I could do. The "poor form -- You tried to stay full throttle while blasting through the grass!" comment kind of pisses me off (as it simply isn't true and you just assumed that's what happened) as I simply try to drive defensively while still racing - as I'm sure most do. Yet, like you, I always end up destroyed by an early incident.
Hell, before I even took damage, I tried to avoid the Lancer, by going 2 on the curb and 2 in the grass - but it still came across and hit me.

At first you were modulating throttle so you have captured pics where it is low or off. No brake is applied at all in any of those pics. Look at pics two and three, you actually accelerate here from 127 to 132mph and are still going 130mph when you cut across the track. Say what you want, but that is reckless driving imo. You should have been decreasing your speed when you were 4 wheels in the grass, but increasing it from 120 to 132mph while going off the track is not safe.

I understand it was a racing incident and shit happens, that is fine. Just saying, part of being careful at the start of the race is knowing when to collect yourself and be safe, not bounce around off road and trying to get back on in traffic without slowing down even the slightest. If you would have began to apply brake when you were fully off, you would have been fine. No one was behind you in the grass and CozMick was well behind you even as you veered across the track.

Edit: Sent ya a little GT5 gift, no hard feelings. Like I said, shit happens.

weekend_warrior said:

FUUUUUUUU totally forgot about the new camera angels when capping the race and first laps
:( Oh well next race I will have fun with the cameras, only cinematic for this race. Sorry.

Angst

A bird whispered in my ear. Official results:

PC7d8.png

0uvIj.png

44Sdr.png

STfk1.jpg

(You can click each name to see a photo of them in action during the race.)

Substitute Drivers:
Metalmurphy

Missing Drivers:
Konosuke (MIA)
Mush (MIA)
Avaya (connection problems)

Replay files:

Team Rankings:
BWOze.jpg

Individual Rankings:
lVVMg.jpg

Videos:

Screenshots:
Angst Photos
[In//Effect-Mode] Photos

Schmitty

Nice picture of me. I am disappointed with Team Remedy's standings, but I guess that's what happens when we have one racer each time. I hope next round we can fill our grid.

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
At first you were modulating throttle so you have captured pics where it is low or off. No brake is applied at all in any of those pics. Look at pics two and three, you actually accelerate here from 127 to 132mph and are still going 130mph when you cut across the track. Say what you want, but that is reckless driving imo. You should have been decreasing your speed when you were 4 wheels in the grass, but increasing it from 120 to 132mph while going off the track is not safe.

I understand it was a racing incident and shit happens, that is fine. Just saying, part of being careful at the start of the race is knowing when to collect yourself and be safe, not bounce around off road and trying to get back on in traffic without slowing down even the slightest. If you would have began to apply brake when you were fully off, you would have been fine. No one was behind you in the grass and CozMick was well behind you even as you veered across the track.

Edit: Sent ya a little GT5 gift, no hard feelings. Like I said, shit happens.
Trying my best to see it through your perspective. I really am.
As for hitting the brakes, I just didn't think I could do it safely.

My main gripe with the post was that I didn't "use full throttle through the grass", and I use the metric system, not MPH, so that's really a range of like 70-82mph or some shit. Not 130mph.

Maybe I could have saved it with some braking for the fraction I was on track, but I didn't have time to see what was definitively behind me. Since I started the race towards the front I had to assume there was a group tailing me - and I honestly believe I would have caused a wreck if I had put the brakes on. I only envisioned 2 choices: braking into a spin and trying to straighten out. (Braking in grass isn't really an option - just disaster in waiting).

I'll just leave it at that and say I thought I was taking the lessor of two evils. I wasn't trying to maintain my spot in the race, I really was just trying to get control of my car and it didn't work out.
Sorry this has polluted the thread.

brentech said:
Quality is pretty good on those. You still using the card with the composites? If so, that's not so bad at all.

Yeah, same card with the composite cable. Cap at 720p to .mp4 and put them straight to youtube.

Apologies for getting all CSI with the incident. Agreed to dead it. It is racing, it happens. Sent you a Ticket 1000 for amends.

Schmitty

Watching my first turn, it's amazing how I came out of that unscathed. It's funny watching me drive away as chaos ensues.

UFRA

A message from the NRL staff:

First of all, the good stuff. I want to thank most of you for your dedication to the league despite it's problems. Some of you have made huge efforts, sacrifices and contributions for the league and I am deeply thankful for that. For the most part racing has been clean despite the differences in skill levels from some players. BroseyBrose, you are the exception to the rule but don't take this the wrong way. No one wants you to leave, but you could perhaps come to practices more often and you'll eventually get the hang of it. I think your biggest problem is the lack of a racing etiquette. But that's something easily learned. If you still don't want to participate however, we'll respect that.

And now for the bad news. Unfortunately, many, MANY, of the registered members for this league simply don't care about it anymore. And they don't care to the point of not even bothering replying to PMs, leaving us guessing. As a consequence of that, the league will undergo a revision before Round 3. Special Stage 1 will still go as planned considering it is not a team based event. The full list of changes that will happen are still being revised, but there's a few things that are already set in stone:

- The league will now consist of 12 car races instead of 16. I believe this will actually help the league for the better. Higher chance of having enough members for a full grid, and will make the races less chaotic, but still fun, as today's race with 13 players shown us.

- We will switch from 8 teams to 6 teams. Bottom 2 teams will be dissolved, and there will be a member reshuffling to fill out the remaining teams. The team points already earned by a player that changes teams will transfer to the new team.

- There will be some changes as far as the cars go. What they will be exactly hasn't been decided, but it is pretty apparent that simply limiting the weight and BHP of a car didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Some cars are simply too fast. I'd be ok with 1-2 seconds fast. But 5-10 seconds is just too much. Some of the options we are considering is having a list of allowed cars to choose from. (Trying to make that list as big possible, and now that we can borrow cars, we could even "test" cars that you want to use and see if we allow it). Another option is forcing the fast cars to limit it's BHP or increase it's weight with the new 1.06 features, but this would be hard to check and we would have to rely on peoples word. But like I said, this is still to be decided.

- Since the numbers of active players is alot less then expected, it might be possible to use a predetermined race time for all races instead of switching between several times.

Feel free to give opinions on what you think about this matter here but soon I will be posting a Survey about the revisions that are being made.

Don't let this league die please.
Thanks.

Note: The person referring to himself as "I" in this post would be our brave leader of the league, who is not with us today. (but will be in a couple months :p)

Niks

Im all for the changes.
This league has been a ton of fun, and with these changes it will be even better.
I approve.

Schmitty

So how many people per team, 6? If we are still going to do 2 people per team per race, we should figure out some way to make participation equal.

Dead Man

Re: the cars. I don't think it is a failure, just that some cars can get closer to the limits than others. If we were to change it I would like a PP system, where any car that can get under a certain PP is allowed to race.

Edit: Wit the current caveat about only normal models.

UFRA said:
- There will be some changes as far as the cars go. What they will be exactly hasn't been decided, but it is pretty apparent that simply limiting the weight and BHP of a car didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Some cars are simply too fast. I'd be ok with 1-2 seconds fast. But 5-10 seconds is just too much. Some of the options we are considering is having a list of allowed cars to choose from. (Trying to make that list as big possible, and now that we can borrow cars, we could even "test" cars that you want to use and see if we allow it). Another option is forcing the fast cars to limit it's BHP or increase it's weight with the new 1.06 features, but this would be hard to check and we would have to rely on peoples word. But like I said, this is still to be decided.

I think it's just that standard cars don't have the same level of complexity to their physics. You and Toxa have mentioned how the standard SuperGT cars drive incredible well. We might want to consider limiting car selection to premiums only.

UFRA

weekend_warrior said:
I think it's just that standard cars don't have the same level of complexity to their physics. You and Toxa have mentioned how the standard SuperGT cars drive incredible well. We might want to consider limiting car selection to premiums only.

Ironically in this case, 75% of the "too fast" cars are premiums.

M3 CSL (S)
Evora (P)
NSX (P)
RX-7 (P)

Those 4 are definitely the ones which are basically in a league of their own. If we were to keep them, we'd have to make some kind of adjustment such as adding ballast, but like we mentioned in the main post - there's no way to police that and we'd have to go by the honor system. I suppose that could work though since it would be obvious if someone said "yes I have 200kg extra on my car" but they were still 5 seconds faster than all of us lol.

Lion Heart said:
Nice, everyone but me :p
Huh? I have the full grid from my replay. What is your PSN name? Might have been a sync issue. Sorry mate, let me download different replay and see of I can figure this out.

Whoops, according to the first page grid list, Mill6es is you, with that car. Ok changed it on the list and on youtube. Sorry!

!!Full Race replay is now up!!

I was able to capture some good battles I think. As with first lap replays, I totally forgot about the camera switching. Still good with the cinematic camera. Sorry if I switch sporadically at all during it. Sometimes I see two arrows near each other and try to find the people who are racing closely real quick but pick the wrong car/person.

UFRA said:
Ironically in this case, 75% of the "too fast" cars are premiums.

M3 CSL (S)
Evora (P)
NSX (P)
RX-7 (P)

Those 4 are definitely the ones which are basically in a league of their own. If we were to keep them, we'd have to make some kind of adjustment such as adding ballast, but like we mentioned in the main post - there's no way to police that and we'd have to go by the honor system. I suppose that could work though since it would be obvious if someone said "yes I have 200kg extra on my car" but they were still 5 seconds faster than all of us lol.

Hmm, I don't know. The only car I'd consider in a different league is the M3. No ones even using the evora except the guy on my team and he hasn't been able to race. I guess the the RX-7 and NSX are a little fast, but it's not like they've been dominating during practice or at races (Although I don't like the number of people who are using the NSX). Really only the M3 has been able to easily run away from the others in all the time I've played. My 2 cents.

An easy way to level the field a little might be to increase the weight requirements. A lot of cars like the STi, the R8, and the Evos are slower because they can't reduce the weight as much as the NSX and RX-7 can. Right now the requirements favor the light and agile cars, and penalize the heavier but potentially more powerful cars.

Top Bottom