• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I say we do it like Top Gear where we pick a car(s). Criteria being anyone can buy it out of the box.

Leaderboards for the cars go for six months, you get one shot during those six months before you can rechallenge. This gives two shots per year per car on the leaderboard.

But if we're going with dealwithit.gif like Top Gear itself does (despite the fact they let some celebs redo times), I wouldn't complain.

Juicy Bob

Why don't we do it so:
-initially, you run as many laps as you want and submit a provisional best time
-if you want to re-submit, you can do, but you only get a single lap and if you're slower, that still becomes your new time.
-you have a maximum of 3 'do-overs' per designated car-period

Kind of like the Indy 500 qualifying system, where you can 'waive' a previous time to try and go faster, but if you're slower, dealwithit.gif. Also, people would have to be honest enough to only take it a single lap at a time.

Juicy Bob said:
Why don't we do it so:
-initially, you run as many laps as you want and submit a provisional best time
-if you want to re-submit, you can do, but you only get a single lap and if you're slower, that still becomes your new time. There would be no way of regulating that.
-you have a maximum of 3 'do-overs' per designated car-period This idea could work. Something to think about for sure.

Kind of like the Indy 500 qualifying system, where you can 'waive' a previous time to try and go faster, but if you're slower, dealwithit.gif. Also, people would have to be honest enough to only take it a single lap at a time.

Chris R

How do online leaderboards work in the game? If we can manage the lap time leaderboards in game that would be great, preventing someone from getting a sick time and not posting it until the last second. It would also allow people to spend as much time as they want in that car lapping the track (speaking of lapping, does the game allow an actual hot lap ala Top Gear or can people do 'laps' passing start/finish at speed making the lap actually quicker than it should be).

I still think the time period should be either twice a month or once a month.

UFRA

To build off of Bob's idea, we could also do it like Formula 1 qualifying. This would have basically 3 structured, time-limited periods to submit your times (the time-frames given are just examples). Here's how I see the whole system working:

Once the RPC is decided, we immediately move into the first of the three periods for time submission. The first being the longest (backwards from F1) in order to allow people to get used to the car.

Period 1 - 3 weeks:
First, you get as many tries as you want to perfect your time. Then, once you're happy, you submit that time (only 1 submission allowed). After the 2 week period is up, we have a temporary leaderboard established.

Next, we eliminate the bottom 30% of the board, and their times are set in stone. If you didn't make the cut, dealwithit.gif and be happy you at least participated and had fun! :p Your time will remain on the leaderboard, but you can no longer improve it.

Period 2 - 2 weeks:
Now, you made it to the next phase. Again, take as many tries as you want to perfect your time even more. When you think you have a nice time, submit it (only 1 submission allowed). After the 2 week period is up. We cut out all remaining times except for the top 10. It's now on to the final battle for the top spot.

Period 3 - 2 weeks:
Now, normally in F1, this final qualifying session is longer than the previos 2, but I think doing it backwards and having the first one be longest, and the final session shorter would work better since those who are eliminated really don't want to wait ages for these last 10 guys to battle it out. Again, you take as many tries as you want, and make your one-allowed submission for this period and hope for the best.

The 2 weeks goes by and the final leaderboard is determined with the winner.

This system would give people their "extra" chances if they feel they weren't good enough, and is less harsh than the only 1 submission Top Gear style dealwithit.gif.

At the same time, it's not TOO easy, since if you place in the lower 30% initially, you're out of it for the remainder of this car's time scale. This also prevents some random guy who placed last initially from getting a re-do and coming out on top.

Chris R

UFRA said:
To build off of Bob's idea, we could also do it like Formula 1 qualifying. This would have basically 3 structured, time-limited periods to submit your times (the time-frames given are just examples). Here's how I see the whole system working:

Once the RPC is decided, we immediately move into the first of the three periods for time submission. The first being the longest (backwards from F1) in order to allow people to get used to the car.

Period 1 - 3 weeks:
First, you get as many tries as you want to perfect your time. Then, once you're happy, you submit that time (only 1 submission allowed). After the 2 week period is up, we have a temporary leaderboard established.

Next, we eliminate the bottom 30% of the board, and their times are set in stone. If you didn't make the cut, dealwithit.gif and be happy you at least participated and had fun! :p Your time will remain on the leaderboard, but you can no longer improve it.

Period 2 - 2 weeks:
Now, you made it to the next phase. Again, take as many tries as you want to perfect your time even more. When you think you have a nice time, submit it (only 1 submission allowed). After the 2 week period is up. We cut out all remaining times except for the top 10. It's now on to the final battle for the top spot.

Period 3 - 2 weeks:
Now, normally in F1, this final qualifying session is longer than the previos 2, but I think doing it backwards and having the first one be longest, and the final session shorter would work better since those who are eliminated really don't want to wait ages for these last 10 guys to battle it out. Again, you take as many tries as you want, and make your one-allowed submission for this period and hope for the best.

The 2 weeks goes by and the final leaderboard is determined with the winner.

This system would give people their "extra" chances if they feel they weren't good enough, and is less harsh than the only 1 submission Top Gear style dealwithit.gif.

At the same time, it's not TOO easy, since if you place in the lower 30% initially, you're out of it for the remainder of this car's time scale. This also prevents some random guy who placed last initially from getting a re-do and coming out on top.

Sounds good (other than the really long phases), but F1 qualifying is 20mins/15mins/10mins, so YOU have it backwards!
whatatwist.jpg

TheSeks

Submitting the time wouldn't be too hard, provided the leaderboards keep a record of the times or ability to submit the replay file.

It would require watching to manipulation and people not submitting times until the last second, however. :/

EL Beefo

Frawdder said:
I like the idea of one and done. You get to submit one time and that is your only time for that car.

The problem with that is nobody is going to want to post a time until right before the two months are up, so we're left with two months of nothing then a day of times coming in.

My idea, every two weeks people will post their best time. At the end of eight weeks, each persons slowest time is removed and the average of their three fasted times are calculated and the winner is the determined from that.

This way it keeps a sense of competition going, with people knowing the times they need to try to beat. Since no one is eliminated, no one is left waiting for the next competition to start, and elimination of the slowest time gives people who are bad now but learn fast a chance.

It's different from the way Top Gear does it, but then again they only have one person post a time a week about 14 times a year. So it makes sense to change the formula up a bit when you have a bunch of people who are able to post times whenever they can.

Ashes

Banned
The point of the Top gear test track is that the celebs don't get to practise over and over again. I say, we pick a weekend. And everyone has to be present during that weekend. Pick the car that weekend, say on a saturday. And then within the next few hours, everybody post their best times.

We have to see how track days are handled in GT5 online, but that's the best way to ensure nobody gets weeks of practise. If you can't make it that day, feel free to add your time, but they will not be official. So everyone can have an official list, and a secondary non-official practise till you die list.

It's a shame, we're split across the world, otherwise we could pick an hour, where everyone joins in and bam! the list appears. And then do another top gear thing next time.

UFRA

rhfb said:
Sounds good (other than the really long phases), but F1 qualifying is 20mins/15mins/10mins, so YOU have it backwards!
whatatwist.jpg

Oh crap, didn't it used to be 15/15/20? lol I haven't followed F1 much recently since some of my favorite drivers left.

If we get sub 100 people would the easiest way to keep track of this just be adding a PSN tag because I imagine you can sort leaderboads by 'friends only'. Anyway, I think we have a system of being able to do as many laps as you want and you get to submit a time (have it pulled off the leaderboard) at the end of every week. This way you do only get one shot but then you can go back and refine it on a weekly basis, either that or the car changes on a weekly basis and you get your one shot.

GodofWine

Im excited to drive a reasonably priced car!

VW Minibus to start with! :)

Just announce the car on the first day of the month, people have till the 10th day of the month to post a time, then we'll have 20 days in the month to not be obsessed with a slow car and do some actual high speed driving!

TheSeks

GodofWine said:
Im excited to drive a reasonably priced car!

VW Minibus to start with! :)

Just announce the car on the first day of the month, people have till the 10th day of the month to post a time, then we'll have 20 days in the month to not be obsessed with a slow car and do some actual high speed driving!

I say we wait until after Christmas, however, just so everyone that is getting the game has it and is able to participate in all the contests.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TheSeks said:
I say we wait until after Christmas, however, just so everyone that is getting the game has it and is able to participate in all the contests.

I think that's the idea. At first there will be track days for people to play around in, then later into 2011 actual leagues when everyone has the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AndyD said:
I think that's the idea. At first there will be track days for people to play around in, then later into 2011 actual leagues when everyone has the game.
I'd say give it a January 1st or early January to start. A month should be enough time to prep and for people to get hands on the game.

CozMick

Banned
I'm open to offers to join a team.

Based in the UK, Top Gear fanatic and I swear I slow down on the first corner, I swear!

Arcticfox

I am interested in joining the league. I don't normally play many games online due to my schedule, but I will make the time for Gran Turismo.

Registrations for the league will open some time around December, and the NRPC will start on December 1st. The car will be announced at the end of this month. It'll be reasonably priced :)P) so you'll have plenty of time to buy it.

viakado said:
so a few of us from 2k-age are forming a team for league.
i know the minimum is 4 correct?
what's the max? About 8 of us for now.

No max. You just gotta be aware, the bigger your team is the less frequently the members will race. But it also makes organizing a time for the race more flexible.

UFRA

Metalmurphy said:
Registrations for the league will open some time around December, and the NRPC will start on December 1st. The car will be announced at the end of this month. It'll be reasonably priced :)P) so you'll have plenty of time to buy it.

Oh yeah!! Another question...

How will we monitor whether people mod the car or not?

I assume the rule will be that the car should remain untouched as it is in Top Gear (aside from the rollcage). Is there some way that we can find out if a person modded their car or is it going to be the honor system?

AndyD

aka andydumi
UFRA said:
Oh yeah!! Another question...

How will we monitor whether people mod the car or not?

I assume the rule will be that the car should remain untouched as it is in Top Gear (aside from the rollcage). Is there some way that we can find out if a person modded their car or is it going to be the honor system?

There will likely be leaderboards by car, and stock cars are usually differentiated from upgraded ones. So it should be easy.

I want to have other GT5 gamers on my friends list for B-Spec mode.

GAF Name: DoctorWho
PSN ID: Proteus4

I'll sign up for the racing league when registration is available.

SephriJ

turnbuckle said:
This is gonna be my first GT game (and sim racing game, actually) so I'll have to give it some time to see if I wouldn't just be embarrassing myself by signing up :lol

I also will be signing up, after some practice. The last one I played was a long time ago and haven't touched many racing games since. We should team up Turnbuckle.

Racing league is too complicated for me to arrange but I'm totally down for casual racing and the tt challenge. We need a matchmaking thread...

AndyD

aka andydumi
SephriJ said:
I also will be signing up, after some practice. The last one I played was a long time ago and haven't touched many racing games since. We should team up Turnbuckle.

THere will be many track days for fun and practice. And you can catch a lot of tips that way. I expect to learn from others that way as I am not very good either.

So are we doing a master list of PSN names? If so check my profle.

TheSeks

Metalmurphy said:
the NRPC will start on December 1st.

You really should wait until January 1st. Gives everyone a chance to get the game + car lists discussion for it.

Az

Metalmurphy said:
You guys aren't posting the IDs for the League right? Cause registrations aint open yet :p

So the game will be out tomorrow. When do you plan on doing the first track days since the league is not starting until 2011

Track days can be done by anyone really. If you want me to add the infos on the OP just say it here and I'll do it. I don't have the game yet so I'm not sure how everything works yet, hence why I haven't done anything.

Ashes

Banned
Just to let you guys know, this is open to everyone now... so I for one think we have to do something differently... I'd edit the psn ids if you don't want non-neogaffers to see your details...

Metalmurphy said:
No max. You just gotta be aware, the bigger your team is the less frequently the members will race. But it also makes organizing a time for the race more flexible.
cool. so how many leagues are we gonna have? will it be based on class?
team 2k now has 9 members atm. would it be better to divide up the members based on the class?

viakado said:
cool. so how many leagues are we gonna have? will it be based on class?
team 2k now has 9 members atm. would it be better to divide up the members based on the class?

I'm just organizing one of them. Guess you can call it the "main" one if people don't mind. Anyone is welcome to make another one, and Mush is already working on a SuperGT one.

UFRA said:
Is the lack of leaderboards going to mess with our RPC challenge?
Yes. :/ I'm still thinking on what to do. Moderated online races is what's coming to mind so far.

And lack of Youtube uploading is messing up with my plans.

ecnal

UFRA said:
Is the lack of leaderboardsgoing to mess with our RPC challenge?

wat?!

didnt GT5P have leaderboards? i thought it did...

in the year 2010 -- where even 5 dollar XBLA/PSN games have leaderboard features -- GT5 has no leaderboards?

this will certainly be patched in... right? right?!

:\

ecnal said:
wat?!

didnt GT5P have leaderboards? i thought it did...

in the year 2010 -- where even 5 dollar XBLA/PSN games have leaderboard features -- GT5 has no leaderboards?

this will certainly be patched in... right? right?!

:\

We have confirmation that yes, it will. Just hope it won't take long.

Norante said:
<--- Add me on PSN everyone.

Metalmurphy, did the replay project die? Responde aí amigo camarada :D

For now, since the Youtube uploading feature is missing. Only way I can see it working is having someone with a capture card record it as a spectator, but that's WAY too much work.

Sounds good! Will deffo be taking part in the Reasonably priced car challenges.

Any Finns here looking for a possible teammate? Add me on PSN:Noisepurge! ;D

Top Bottom