• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

UFRA

So what's the final method decided as far as number of tries allowed for RPC and how to submit your time considering the lack of leaderboards?

UFRA said:
So what's the final method decided as far as number of tries allowed for RPC and how to submit your time considering the lack of leaderboards?

They're gonna be done on servers with a moderator that will register the times and save the replays. Each member can make 2 attempts during different days and they have 2 individual laps on each attempt. The best lap goes on the board.

And as such, I'm probably gonna need some help with this, depending on the number of people that want to participate I might not be able to supervise all the laps.

Is there a standardized set of restrictions for the NRPC yet in terms of tires/settings? Or a first car decided on? I see the test session used the Suzuki Swift... what tires did you use to run the 1'39, MM? I just want to see where I stack up when I get home. :D

Funky Functionality said:
Is there a standardized set of restrictions for the NRPC yet in terms of tires/settings? Or a first car decided on? I see the test session used the Suzuki Swift... what tires did you use to run the 1'39, MM? I just want to see where I stack up when I get home. :D

Sport: Normal IIRC. And yes, there will be restrictions. All aids off except. ABS to 1. They'll be set by the server moderator.

As for the first car, not decided yet. It'll be a Premium since standards might be hard to find, but in the future we might do some standards as well.

Sounds good!

It's a shame you aren't sure about the tires. I guess I'll run some laps with the Sport Softs since they tend to be the standard Sports compound tire used in most of the game's tarmac challenges.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sounds good!

It's a shame you aren't sure about the tires. I guess I'll run some laps with the Sport Softs since they tend to be the standard Sports compound tire used in most of the game's tarmac challenges.
I'm pretty sure they were racing tires. And the soft ones at that.

Sounds good!

These times really don't mean anything. No one was really trying :p We were just testing stuff.

Metalmurphy said:
And as such, I'm probably gonna need some help with this, depending on the number of people that want to participate I might not be able to supervise all the laps.

I will step forward and help anytime that it is needed.

I get off work at 6:00 pm CST Monday - Friday so i can mod anything from 7:15 pm on.

Get with me in PM and let me know as I don't check in everyday here..... now that I have GT5 in my hands.

And the first Reasonably Priced car is:

3iQT6.jpg

Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95

Costing a reasonable
1BiTb.png

You can start practicing now, and anyone that wants to participate should read the revised rules first. If you already want to set up a time just say so here. Or join the chat room.

MikeDub said:
Just given it a couple of laps, I'll set the first time if i can do that now?

Give me a few minutes. I forgot that the Top Gear test track isn't unlocked for Online from the start. Gotta gold the challenge again.

Ok. Just unlocked the track. Anyone who wants to register their time now just add the TG-NRPC user to your friends list and join the lounge.

UFRA

Great choice on the first car!!

I'm so happy it's that car, now I have an excuse to buy it. It's one of the cars that can be Race Modified, and I want to collect those, so this is perfect. :D

So far I'm thinking mid 1'43s will be a good target time. I'm going to run more laps after work and hopefully get my first submission in tonight.
1:43's, really? I reckon I will be hard pushed to get it past 1:47 but then again I might just be that bad :lol

MikeDub said:
1:43's, really? I reckon I will be hard pushed to get it past 1:47 but then again I might just be that bad :lol
You sure you're on comfort mediums?

If so, it may just be that your lines or corner entries/exits need to be refined. Exiting hammerhead with as little tire noise as possible is key because it gets you into 4th gear much sooner after the follow-through and into bentley, which is the fastest section of the track. A bad exit from hammerhead will absolutely kill an otherwise good lap time.

Of course, that goes for every corner, but hammerhead is especially important.

Scratch that... the 1'43 was a hot rolling start from a warm-up lap, and it seems we have to do standing starts (just like the show, derp) so 1'43s aren't going to be within the realm of possibility.

Juicy Bob

I hate the way the timing beam is actually a little bit before the physical line itself. It makes it really hard to judge where to park the car for the standing starts.

Juicy Bob said:
I hate the way the timing beam is actually a little bit before the physical line itself. It makes it really hard to judge where to park the car for the standing starts.

Do what I do. Just go to you private Lounge and do 1 lap races, you'll need to have a friend or someone else though.

Juicy Bob

Metalmurphy said:
Do what I do. Just go to you private Lounge and do 1 lap races, you'll need to have a friend or someone else though.

Good point. Is that how we'll do it in the actual room?

UFRA

Damnit, I've been practicing rolling starts all this time.

I had some nice laps too.

1:43.141
1:43.224
1:43.373

Those were my top 3. Now to start practicing with standing starts. :/

Not sure why I didn't assume it would be standing starts in the first place. :lol I keep forgetting that when we do the actual timing it's using a "race" so it will be a standing start of course. Oh well, I at least have my racing line down with this car, and that's all that matters. The fact that it's a standing start just means my lap times will be a bit slower.

UFRA said:
Damnit, I've been practicing rolling starts all this time.

I had some nice laps too.

1:43.141
1:43.224
1:43.373

Those were my top 3. Now to start practicing with standing starts. :/

Not sure why I didn't assume it would be standing starts in the first place. :lol I keep forgetting that when we do the actual timing it's using a "race" so it will be a standing start of course. Oh well, I at least have my racing line down with this car, and that's all that matters. The fact that it's a standing start just means my lap times will be a bit slower.

Pretty much. Perhaps you'll have to take the first corner a bit differently but that's just it. I make most of my practice runs continuously, and only a few standing starts.

UFRA

1'43.2xx was my best rolling start lap during my brief lunch break today, so you're pretty quick UFRA. Should be fun competing with you. :D

I hope I can maintain my quickness when it actually counts. My 1:43's didn't ever come on the first try. I always had to work down to them.

I did 3 separate practice sessions today, and each time it took me like 2-3 laps to get into the 1:43's. Otherwise I'd run consistant 1:44's in the mid-high range.

Gonna have some dinner and then practice a few standing starts, and hopefully submit a decent time later tonight. :D

What kind of wheel do you have, Funky? I'm using my good ol' Driving Force Pro from GT4. It will be interesting to see how the DS3 users stack up against wheel users. :D

Orgun

Where is the standing start from? I went to start from infront of the line and noticed that the timer had already started!

UFRA

Orgun said:
Where is the standing start from? I went to start from infront of the line and noticed that the timer had already started!

The line is ever so slightly before the actual start/finish line.

UFRA

The chat isn't working right for me.

When it says "choose a nickname" I can see in the background people talking and a list of like 10 people. Then, I put UFRA as my name and enter, but then it's just me and 1 other person, and I have a * by my name and it seems like no one can see me.

Then, moments later I get bumped back to the "choose a nickname screen".

I'm ready to submit a lap anyways. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:
And the first Reasonably Priced car is:

Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95

Costing a reasonable
1BiTb.png

You can start practicing now, and anyone that wants to participate should read the revised rules first. If you already want to set up a time just say so here. Or join the chat room.

That premium or used?

I'll check the revised rules but I'll join in.

The chat isn't working right for me.

Download an IRC client. If you use Linux or OSX, I recommend irssi. Otherwise Windows you might want BitchX or something like that.

Then copy the server (irc.ut3mods.whatever) and then /connect irc... after connecting, /j #nrc to join the channel.

God I'm old, using IRC since 1990's

Chat is working, there's just no one there probably. It's currently 2:30AM here so I won't be able to supervise your lap now :p We'll do it tomorrow.

UFRA said:
What kind of wheel do you have, Funky?
My G27 is about two weeks old. I'd been using a G25 for almost two years, but it broke about a week before GT5's release... wasn't looking forward to dropping even more money on this game's release since I already splurged with the collector's edition. Bah.

I'm glad I bought the G27, though. It's a fantastic wheel; better than the G25 in terms of precision/responsiveness... it's much, much quieter, too. :D

UFRA

Metalmurphy said:
Chat is working, there's just no one there probably. It's currently 2:30AM here so I won't be able to supervise your lap now :p We'll do it tomorrow.

Maybe that's the case. I saw Mik in there, so maybe it was working but no one was there lol.

I'll probably have to do my lap on Friday since tomorrow I'm gonna be gone most of the day with a work related trip. I'll let you know Friday when I'm ready.

Chris R

What exactly do I have to do to unlock the Top Gear Test Track to use offline? Not exactly clear on that. I bought the car, but don't have the track to practice on :(

Mush

rhfb said:
What exactly do I have to do to unlock the Top Gear Test Track to use offline? Not exactly clear on that. I bought the car, but don't have the track to practice on :(
You have to Gold the Sambabus challenge.

Chris R

Mush said:
You have to Gold the Sambabus challenge.
Ah ok no problem then. I'll get right on that :D

I got so close and then had to take apart my temp wheel setup and haven't been able to do as well with a DS3 :( I'll go get it right now though

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:

You don't need another person in your private lobby to start races. I'm doing laps right now.

1:53 is about the best I can do, but I'm on a controller handicap. You're going to mark us Controller peons on the leaderboard with that, right? :lol

neos

TheSeks said:
You don't need another person in your private lobby to start races. I'm doing laps right now.

1:53 is about the best I can do, but I'm on a controller handicap. You're going to mark us Controller peons on the leaderboard with that, right? :lol
lol, just like real top gear where wet races times are marked apart

Top Bottom