• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Dead Man

Just a heads up: A have a pretty good dose of flu at the moment, so I don't know if I will be able to make it to the race. I will try, but if I am not there by the start of qualy feel free to use a reserve driver for me :(

Edit: Double Post :( Good thing I got you guys to change the time, huh? :lol

ashk

I think it's a bit confusing to use the term "road." The term I always hear when watching some cars go round on TV is "track." So, the rule that is always repeated is "keep two wheels on the track." The track boundaries are defined by a white line on its left and right side. You can see the left white line on UFRA's screenshot, it goes right under that awesome red car.

h3ro

I'm here guys. Just trying to dial out some understeer on this damn Skyline. I'm thinking I might have to switch over to a RWD car. I have an RX-7 on stand by.

Also, just a heads up, UFRA is already aware, but I might have to take a phone call for work during the race, I'll try to pit in and idle during that time or park the car by a rail. Worst case scenario is me having to leave the race to tend to matters. I apologize in advance if it comes to that.

UFRA, we need to discuss color options, Super Met Red is nice.Rosso Corsa is nicer. ;)

I'd supply chips to all of us if needed. :p

Dibbz

OK I've picked a car for myself.

Corvette Z06 (C5) '04

Played around with some Subaru's and other 4WD cars but they're no fun driving.

It's shared btw so you guys can grab a thumbnail from it.

h3ro said:
I'm here guys. Just trying to dial out some understeer on this damn Skyline. I'm thinking I might have to switch over to a RWD car. I have an RX-7 on stand by.

Also, just a heads up, UFRA is already aware, but I might have to take a phone call for work during the race, I'll try to pit in and idle during that time or park the car by a rail. Worst case scenario is me having to leave the race to tend to matters. I apologize in advance if it comes to that.

UFRA, we need to discuss color options, Super Met Red is nice.Rosso Corsa is nicer. ;)

Hands free headset man. ;)

UFRA

h3ro said:

Deep Forest itself causes a lot of understeer, so don't let that shy you away from the Skyline. The RX-7 is banned now so don't keep that around lol.

No worries if you get interrupted, work comes before gaming, so it's understandable.

Be sure to share your car so we can get a thumbnail pic of it, and also let me know exactly which Skyline you chose.

UFRA

ashk said:
I think it's a bit confusing to use the term "road." The term I always hear when watching some cars go round on TV is "track." So, the rule that is always repeated is "keep two wheels on the track." The track boundaries are defined by a white line on its left and right side. You can see the left white line on UFRA's screenshot, it goes right under that awesome red car.

UFRA said:
MsIbk.png

(The area referred to as the "non-road" would be the bright white area on the left side, where the left tires of the red car are contacting)

Quoting this for new page. If anyone is confused see ashk's clarification above to help understand this pic better.

UFRA

Daylight Savings Time has screwed us up! lol

Ignore the schedule times of EST and PST, the race actually starts 1hr after those posted times.

h3ro

Going with the Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V・spec II Nür (R34) '02. I'll share it after the race. Getting into the lounge now.

CozMick

Banned
Just can't hack the league if i'm honest.

The heavy damage kills it for me, a slight nudge on the 1st or 2nd corner costs you the entire race, then having to endure another 23 laps............

I had to pit in 3 times in the first 7 laps from being rammed, nudged into a wall and tapping the guard rail.

Not only that, i'm being lapped within 4 laps.

Think i'll call it a day.

Ya I might be done too.

I don't have a lot of time to practice because of work. But I still make the effort to try and then during the 1 lap races, I ALWAYS make it clean and do well. Come the actual race and I'm in the pit first lap. I have yet to make it clean on the first lap actually.

I asked for no qualifying but of course, MM wants a 5 min qualy. Worst decision ever. I get absolutely smoked 4 chicanes in and have to pit. Trying to get back asap and get some kind of flying lap in but I than notice someone behind me and ofcourse, he gets smoked as well (I cant even control the car, sorry about that btw). Now I'm in the back of the pack. I make it clean through the first chicane but somehow clip the grass trying to avoid someone and there goes my entire race. I end up doing 3 pit stops, same as every race...I just can't manage.

ashk

I had some problems in this race. There was effectively no qualifying. Got hit on the out lap, pitted, got hit again. Didn't have enough time even for another out lap. On the first race I got pole, but started in 3rd, in the second one I started last and was in the front row for all the carnage and got damage and had to pit and my race was over. Almost quit there, but dind't want to fail my team. Instead I drove frustrated laps and shredded my tyres too fast.

Kaze13 - I know it's not your fault, but you shouldn't be allowed to race in this condition. I watched the first few laps of the replay and you were all over the place. If I was battling you I would ask to have you excluded from the results because it's impossible to race you.

Broseybrose - Most of the time I was passing you I had to do something drastic to avoid you. I don't mind slower cars but you're unpredictable; you should just keep to the racing line while getting passed. Also, be more careful when rejoining.

Konosuke - Almost didn't manage to overtake you after getting damage :) You were doing well over most of the track, but you were taking the corner after the last tunnel quite slower and there's where I got my chance. I would tell you to try to improve it but now it's too late :p

Congrats to Niks, you did a good race and got an appropriate result :)

Uh... I don't mean to interfere or anything, since I have absolutely nothing to do with the league (but I'd like to participate so I don't want everyone quitting) but perhaps you should really try racing with light damage... did you try one round with it instead of heavy?

One other idea I've just had is... how about doing 2 races of 10 laps or so each round? And having reverse grid order depending of the result of the first race. I don't know, it's just an idea, I can understand how frustrating it is to wait a week or two and then being unable to have fun, let alone score some good points. Maybe you've already discussed this, too. Just my 2 cents.

PS: What account should I add if I want to expectate one race or practice or something?

I had another perfectly clean race, which is surprising because I hardly practiced at all (thanks Dead Man :p) and couldn't stay off the walls in qualifying.

Somehow managed to start the race in 3rd place, was able to avoid an apparent first turn crashfest, and spent the first few laps in second place watching Niks disappear over the horizon.

It wasn't until the 4th or 5th lap that I got stuck behind Cozmick, almost crashed, and lost about 4 places. Then I had a couple good laps battling with Ace until he eventually pulled away from me.

All told I'm pretty happy with my 7th place, coming in at the last minute I didn't have high expectations, just wanted to ensure my team got as many points as possible.

The last 2 races I've been really impressed by everyones clean racing too. People are definitely making an improved effort to avoid unnecessary aggressiveness.

brentech

Risk Breaker said:
Uh... I don't mean to interfere or anything, since I have absolutely nothing to do with the league (but I'd like to participate so I don't want everyone quitting) but perhaps you should really try racing with light damage... did you try one round with it instead of heavy?

One other idea I've just had is... how about doing 2 races of 10 laps or so each round? And having reverse grid order depending of the result of the first race. I don't know, it's just an idea, I can understand how frustrating it is to wait a week or two and then being unable to have fun, let alone score some good points. Maybe you've already discussed this, too. Just my 2 cents.

PS: What account should I add if I want to expectate one race or practice or something?
Some of it, like the damage, has been touched on. After rounds 1 and 2, a poll was laid out to get an idea of what people wanted. (can get a view of it here: league form)
As to anything else, I'd largely say that having the league organizer banned from GAF for the duration of the last bunch of events and a little longer into the future isn't helping anything - we have a few people that are able to talk to him and get the needed info up, but it sure wouldn't hurt if his account was in the clear so other people could talk to him directly.

h3ro said:
I blame getting 9th on my inferior super metallic red paint job.
You don't have to use that specific color, just a red. Use what you want.

ashk

brentech said:
Sounds like the event was....interesting?
Hoping things actually went better than it seems.

The race itself wasn't that bad for most people. I just had a problem with qualifying which influenced my race badly and left me a bit frustrated. I don't think it was anything horrible that we all haven't seen before :p

h3ro

brentech said:
You don't have to use that specific color, just a red. Use what you want.

I'm just messing around. :p If that's the case though, I might use a Matte Red chip on my skyline.

I had a blast, thanks for letting me join the league. I feel like my lap times are more competitive in this format than they were in SuperGT. Even though my best lap was a second off of pole, I felt like I could compete.

Glad I kept the GT-R as well, I bought and fully kitted out an M3 just in case I couldn't get the setup right but decided to stay with the Skyline right before joining the lounge.

brentech said:
As to anything else, I'd largely say that having the league organizer banned from GAF for the duration of the last bunch of events and a little longer into the future isn't helping anything - we have a few people that are able to talk to him and get the needed info up, but it sure wouldn't hurt if his account was in the clear so other people could talk to him directly.

Oh, that's right, poor MM and the screenshots affair (IIRC)... I had forgotten, no wonder the link to the form in the OP is broken and the OP itself is outdated :p Thanks for the info, and yeah, it's a real shame.

Dibbz

Well I had fun in my first race for this league. My Vette was rather slow though in comparison to everyone else which was a shame. Hopefully for the next race I'm in I'll get my car setup well enough to fight for a podium.

Happy with my 6th place though :)

BTW I recorded the first lap from my perspective. I start in the middle somewhere but everyone blows past my poor Vette. You can see everyone going crazy whilst I try and work my way through the pack.

First Lap Video

5541528698_325bcd4543_z.jpg

Niks

Nab :(
It would have been epic.

I was lucky since I was first out of the pits to qualify, had a clean track.

The rest of the race was pretty straight forward for me, just making sure to keep the car in one piece. A big thanks to the drivers I lapped, zero issues there.

UFRA

Both Angst and I were watching the Live Timing Monitor in spectator view during qualification, and everyones lap times, sector times, etc. were "--:--.---" so I'm not sure how that worked out.

If anyone saved an NTSC replay, please upload it and then PM me the link.

Congrats to the podium drivers, and good job Team Redline! :)

Kaze13

brentech said:
Wow, kaze's Internet rock bottom. Some crazy spikes killing the crowd.

Well, all I can say is that I was not driving like how it showed on the replay...lol. Pics and commentary incoming after some uploads.

brentech

Yeah, I don't doubt that you're not driving like that, but it is what's happening to others. Happened in practice the other day too. Gotta get that router replaced or something. It's brutal.

Kaze13

Kaze13 Race day Highlights!

----------------

Terrible start..

What a day today was. Lotta things going wrong for me and my team. The first big event was the race delay. No biggie it meant more practice time. That sucked too. Ended up not being able to run the lap times I was able to produce the night before (1:14.5's avg). The practice race starts were also a terrible for me. Messed up all of em and didn't get a good feel at all.

Terrible Race 1

Got a good qualifying position and it's race time! Or not. Got d/c'd after qualifying...I thought that was it for me.

Qualifying for Race 2!

Felt bad because I thought the restart was because of me. Found out it was the lobby and was lucky to be in Race 2. However, the 5 minute qualifying meant a warmup lap and a cold tire lap and 1 or 2 tries of qualifying. Got hit on the first lap. Drove the car back to the pits and was able to qualify for a 1:22! Booyah...:( Still I was in position 7 and the talk about my connection speed was an ominous threat...for everyone behind me!

Race 2 - And we're off!

Got a good start, came away unscathed with an almost disaster with a white car. Got away after turn 5. Niks was already well ahead and I wanted to chase him. Then, disaster. In my hopes of getting past WW and Ace quickly, I misjudged my front straight braking prowess and angle and ended up on the grass and into the wall. Both rear suspension shot. On the up side, my car was still balanced and relatively easy to control. On the downside, I knew my laps were going to suffer and it did. 1 second on top of my avg lap time. Ouch.

While driving a banged up car, a familiar dance partner appeared. MetalMurphy had me in his sights. We battled for a few laps and traded places several times. No contact. It was awesome. I got back into a semi groove and managed to pull away from him around lap 9. Thanks for the dance MM!

I pitted at after lap 12. By this time, Niks had an insurmountable lead. Best I could do was keep 2nd place. Got off the pits and rejoined with no issue. The whole race after lap 12 was just banging on constant 15's in hopes of Niks messing up (he didn't) and gaining a few seconds here and there. I didn't. The gap remained around 20 seconds. It dipped to 19 a few times and the race was over. He relaxed his lap times but it was too late.

All in all I had a great race. I would like to thank my team and Lead Farmer/Toxian for offering me the spot to race today. I had fun during the race. Not so much before that.

Pics in another post.

Dead Man

weekend_warrior said:
I had another perfectly clean race, which is surprising because I hardly practiced at all (thanks Dead Man :p) and couldn't stay off the walls in qualifying.

Somehow managed to start the race in 3rd place, was able to avoid an apparent first turn crashfest, and spent the first few laps in second place watching Niks disappear over the horizon.

It wasn't until the 4th or 5th lap that I got stuck behind Cozmick, almost crashed, and lost about 4 places. Then I had a couple good laps battling with Ace until he eventually pulled away from me.

All told I'm pretty happy with my 7th place, coming in at the last minute I didn't have high expectations, just wanted to ensure my team got as many points as possible.

The last 2 races I've been really impressed by everyones clean racing too. People are definitely making an improved effort to avoid unnecessary aggressiveness.
Sorry for the short notice! Glad you did well though, sounds like it was a testing race.

Broseybrose

CozMick said:
Just can't hack the league if i'm honest.

The heavy damage kills it for me, a slight nudge on the 1st or 2nd corner costs you the entire race, then having to endure another 23 laps............

I had to pit in 3 times in the first 7 laps from being rammed, nudged into a wall and tapping the guard rail.

Not only that, i'm being lapped within 4 laps.

Think i'll call it a day.
Im with you CozMick... the damage just ruins the races for me. Im pitting every other lap.

Kaze13

brentech said:
Yeah, I don't doubt that you're not driving like that, but it is what's happening to others. Happened in practice the other day too. Gotta get that router replaced or something. It's brutal.

It will get fixed. However, after watching the replay, everyone was fairly cautious behind me I think. I know it looked like I bumped off the white car but I know I didn't. I have some pics of the incident.

------------------

Pics! Caution, lots of pics

Race start
Deep%20Forest%20Raceway.jpg

Lotta action these guys will be seeing...

And we are off!

Niks off to a great start

First casualty

Second

Head on bumpage

Panorama

My built up lead in lap 1

Triple airborne. My failed attempt at a pass

bye bye Kaze!

Got it slowed down enough for minor damage

Pit Action

breakdancin in the pits!

And, we dance

MM and Kaze13 dance off (extra copies for MM to snip if wanted)

Wat the wat?

TO BATTLE!!!

Won't let you down team!

See ya at the next race!

UFRA

Jzj9b.jpg

tgzBn.jpg

Replay files:

NTSC Replay Missing. If someone saved it please upload it somewhere.

Team Rankings:
3UDxa.jpg

Individual Rankings:
4SbxW.jpg

Videos:
Dibbz first lap replay

Screenshots:
Kaze13 Photos
Niks Photos

Afterthoughts:
(From you-know-who)
I’d like to apologize for all the confusion that happened before the race. The server problems caused a very big delay on the race as well as a 5 minute qualifying instead of a 10 minute one. Considering all the problems we had we ask that no one be on the server prior to the race start, so that we can have a “fresh” server, and possibly avoid these problems. Another negative note was people quitting. By quitting you are giving your team ZERO points. Even if you finished last you’d get 30 points. One particular person has done this in every single race... why even bother?
Apart from this I think the actual race was without major problems, but it seems lots of people are having problems with Heavy Damage. I’m considering switching this to Light Damage. I just hope it doesn’t mean that people will get more careless during the race.
Makes me sad hearing some of your comments, hope you guys don’t give up on this league just after this race, we already had so many withdrawls that it’ll soon be impossible to keep races with 2 members per team.

Next race will be a special event. This isn’t a team event and up to 16 players can register. Will post more info soon.

brentech

The secret to pit crew efficiency, having no boundaries!

And I feel bad for that yellow Audi. That's how lost myself 3 places last race....trimmed the grass with two tires and spun in a circle. Sucked.

brentech

Calls placeholder on special event, I should be available for that one. =D

and not to say that the current 1st place team is uncatchable, but the race for 2nd place team is frackin tight

Kaze13

brentech said:
Calls placeholder on special event, I should be available for that one. =D

and not to say that the current 1st place team is uncatchable, but the race for 2nd place team is frackin tight

I really wish we had both drivers finish today. An extra 30 points at the very least would put Team FWTC within striking distance of Team Metal Gear.

UFRA said:
Kaze I love your funny pit crew pics. XD

I lol'd heartily when I saw them too.

ashk said:
Kaze13 - I know it's not your fault, but you shouldn't be allowed to race in this condition. I watched the first few laps of the replay and you were all over the place. If I was battling you I would ask to have you excluded from the results because it's impossible to race you.

MM was battling me. Haven't heard a peep (him being banned doesn't help) but he has the right because we were neck and neck for a few laps.

Mush

Kaze13 said:
I really wish we didn't had both drivers finish today. An extra 30 points at the very least would put Team FWTC within striking distance of Team Metal Gear.
As I said before, I'm sorry for rage quitting. Just got really frustrated after we had the whole do-over thing happen when I was in a good position. :/

Kaze13

Mush said:
As I said before, I'm sorry for rage quitting. Just got really frustrated after we had the whole do-over thing happen when I was in a good position. :/

I just realized I totally failed on grammar in my post lol. We are still in within range of Team MG so we are all good. Don't rage quit though. It's just bad form for a team structure.

Top Bottom