• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online adds a quality-of-life feature players have wanted for years then upsets everyone by paywalling it

Draugoth

Gold Member
8c8b5a167e620cb842fec542eed6ff9ca59c0347-scaled.jpg

GTA Online's latest event is called Bottom Dollar Bounties and focuses on letting players live that Dog the Bounty Hunter life in Los Santos, but it also adds the new Vinewood Club app to in-game phones.

This app "lets you easily request vehicles, claim all outstanding business safe earnings, and replenish ammo on your in-game phone." Collecting cash from your businesses in GTA Online has always been a bit of a pain, and being able to do it from your phone instead is obviously a massive improvement. The catch, of course, is that it's only available to GTA+ subscribers paying $8 a month (thanks, GamesRadar+).

"Since day one there were already concerns GTA+ would start locking out genuinely good features from non-subscribing players," writes Select_Ad3588 on the GTA Online subreddit. "The car dealership and shit was already stretching it, but now including a QoL update behind a fucking paywall? That's genuinely sad and makes me a lot more concerned over GTA 6 Online.

"So many players requested this feature, yeah they're 'listening to our feedback' and figuring out how to monetize it. One of the slimiest things they've done in a while."

"Imagine locking a most requested feature behind a paywall.....in a 10 yr old game," says Xplosiv84. "Pay more to play less," adds MaxAliga. "I have GTA+ and even I think this is dumb AF to not give to all players," says IDKRedditsz. "This isn't a feature, it's improving on your cumbersome fucking management system."

Source

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I can't think of any other example of a game putting in what amounts to a free patch / QoL adjustment behind a subscription. It's really just damned if you do here, because this is one of the shittiest things I've ever heard of in all of gaming. Selling it at all would be shitty, but this isn't available for purchase, only a continual sub. For a patch lol.

StueyDuck

I wonder if gta6 took longer than expected.

While gtao has always nickle n dimed they did mostly still have an avenue for users to access stuff with ridiculous excessive grind.

Pay walling is not a good look

Even as someone who tries GTA+ currently (I’m not impressed what I get for that price):
This update is in parts also worse for plus members. Before, I could just long press a button to get the menu, in which I can get car to my location from the current Vinewood Club offering. Now I three steps more cause I need to start that stupid app on my in game cell phone.

They’re really good at combining bad UX with bad treatment of their customers.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with that personally, maintaining 10-year old software is cumbersome. Also, anyone paying subscription for maintaining the game running should get extra features.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I'm curious since I never bother with the online thing so please pardon me for asking this stupid question. what do you do in GTA online? do you rob others and they would rob you back or something?

Hrk69

Gold Member
I'm curious since I never bother with the online thing so please pardon me for asking this stupid question. what do you do in GTA online? do you rob others and they would rob you back or something?
There is a lot to do honestly. Haven't played in a while so I'm not sure if the game play-loop has changed. It's all about earning $ doing missions / heists and selling stuff from your businesses. It's quite expansive too. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than me.

Luckily for me I knew someone who could hack stuff and he added hundreds of millions of GTA$ at the start of the game. I never have to do another mission for $ again.

But for me it's all about GTA online races. It's low-key one of the best arcade racers out there.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Poor GTAO shmoes. What are those addicts gonna do, not pay to play? They’ll suckle on that R* tit and say thank you and ask for more.

Trogdor1123

Nothing wrong with that personally, maintaining 10-year old software is cumbersome. Also, anyone paying subscription for maintaining the game running should get extra features.
You mean the game that they put out on 3 different consoles generations and sold 150 million copies of?

Shut0wen

Banned
Who the fuck keeps playing this, they havnt added anything significant since the heist update and even those missions were pretty shit, honestly gta5s onlibe is shit compared to gta4s

mitch1971

Gold Member
Not if you just make it a feature for all users.
Ideally. But if asking for a feature gets it paywalled and not asking 'cause it will get paywalled doesnt get you the feature, either, then its damned both ways.

Last edited:

DryvBy

this shit is what makes me worried for gta6

In all fairness, GTA is the least offensive of the GaaS online games I've ever played. I enjoy the general hook of the game and I've never bought any of the "DLC" they have behind cash. I have every vehicle I want. I really don't even know why people buy shark cards other than they don't want to play the game.

It's to be expected given its Rockstar. I'm surprised they haven't nerfed business payouts even more and tried to push users to GTA+ with a boost yet

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Ideally. But if asking for a feature gets it paywalled and not asking 'cause it will get paywalled doesnt get you the feature, either, then its damned both ways.
There are plenty of instances where people ask for features and developers just put them in the game. It does take resources to create them, but you earn the money on the back end with player loyalty.

mitch1971

Gold Member
There are plenty of instances where people ask for features and developers just put them in the game. It does take resources to create them, but you earn the money on the back end with player loyalty.
I know. Im just explaining my comment in this specific case.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprised in the slightest. I’m expecting them to be more aggressive with this stuff in GTA6. That game will be designed to nickel and dime players from the ground up.

Last edited:

wvnative

Rockstar is such a frustrating dev.

Abandons RDO, after not communicating with the fans who were BEGGING for news, any news at all. And only after 12 months were like "lol yeah it's done". After their own admission that GTA online needed time before finding it's foot with heists/business updates. Bit personal but RDO was my all time favorite online game. It was similar to GTA Online whilst fixing most of it's major issues.

Released those awful busted pathetic excuses for GTA remakes, never truly fixing them, but actually was secretly hiring a new dev to make better versions, then released them on cell phones, but never patching the console versions.

Refused to release RDR on Xbox despite the 60fps patch.

BUT...

Since abandoning RDO and doubling down on GTAO, GTAO has actually gotten many long standing QoL issues fixed, they've started actually addressing a lot of feedback, and actually has gone out of their way to ease up on the grind a little bit. The game has seriously improved, though that still doesn't make up for the fact the game is still very dated feeling. The base of the game is still very old.

Made it super easy to grind in RDO, double money every month on various activities. RDO is easier to get started now.

Still actually does do critical bug fixing on RDO. Sometimes.

Like they are capable of still doing really neat stuff. But still, so much shit stuff too...

LRKD

I can't think of any other example of a game putting in what amounts to a free patch / QoL adjustment behind a subscription. It's really just damned if you do here, because this is one of the shittiest things I've ever heard of in all of gaming. Selling it at all would be shitty, but this isn't available for purchase, only a continual sub. For a patch lol.
Fallout 76 has a few major QoL features locked behind its subscription too. Not defending, just pointing out another game that should be shamed for some bs moves.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I want my time with Gta online back. In the end I was something over lvl 400. This infinite grind wasn't even fun, but because everything was so expensive, you were always forced to grind and only play the missions that yielded good money.

Mercador

Sorry to necro this, I don't want to create a topic just for one question; when you get GTA V, are every addon missions available ? Is it free? Thanks! I played the game in the PS3 and PS4 and I was wondering if I get it for the Steam Deck to play extra missions.

YCoCg

are every addon missions available ? Is it free?
Technically you can do it without spending real money. Each new business requires a buy in such as a property or company investment and these are usually around $2-4 million each. So you can grind the game until you make enough to buy each business to have access to these missions. It will just take a long unless you risk cheating/hacking in money or buying their shark cards.

wvnative

Sorry to necro this, I don't want to create a topic just for one question; when you get GTA V, are every addon missions available ? Is it free? Thanks! I played the game in the PS3 and PS4 and I was wondering if I get it for the Steam Deck to play extra missions.

Yes all content is free, they simply make money via the whales who buy in-game currency.

However, accessing all the post launch content requires you to buy various different businesses, which can cost a lot of money, and be quite grindy for new players. the grind isn't as bad as it used to be, but still fairly daunting.

I have a very bad feeling about monetization of GTA 6 online recent nba 2k games and this type of shit are clear indications we are in for a fucked up ride on the microtransaction train

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, I left feedback to Rockstar over the past months about wanting to see the contents of the Arcade safe by pressing down on the D pad like in other places that have a safe. Rockstar took it one step further, you can now see contents of safes from your phone....and locked it behind GTA+.

Yes all content is free, they simply make money via the whales who buy in-game currency.

However, accessing all the post launch content requires you to buy various different businesses, which can cost a lot of money, and be quite grindy for new players. the grind isn't as bad as it used to be, but still fairly daunting.
Yup, GTA Online as of today is a way different game vs when it launched in 2013. One thing Rockstar did that helped new players is for current gen you get 4 million and 1 of 4 businesses, a vehicle and weapons to choose from. You are spending that 4 million on the stuff I just mentioned.

And making it easier to make money in Invite Only, with no business, and add ons to some businesses that make you money to help with buying supplies for sell missions.

The worst thing they can do is merge single & multiplayer in GTA6 to allow people to pop in and out in an instant. If they keep Online as a separate mode I simply won't bother with it.
I used to think they wouldnt do that...but as more time goes by I would not be shocked if they did. They're gonna try their hardest to make Story mode as barebones as possible, same for when the new GTA Online launches.

One of the ways they can make Story mode more robust, just going by what they did with GTA V, is to merge single and multi player...

Last edited:

wvnative

Yeah, I left feedback to Rockstar over the past months about wanting to see the contents of the Arcade safe by pressing down on the D pad like in other places that have a safe. Rockstar took it one step further, you can now see contents of safes from your phone....and locked it behind GTA+.

Yup, GTA Online as of today is a way different game vs when it launched in 2013. One thing Rockstar did that helped new players is for current gen you get 4 million and 1 of 4 businesses, a vehicle and weapons to choose from. You are spending that 4 million on the stuff I just mentioned.

And making it easier to make money in Invite Only, with no business, and add ons to some businesses that make you money to help with buying supplies for sell missions.

I used to think they wouldnt do that...but as more time goes by I would not be shocked if they did. They're gonna try their hardest to make Story mode as barebones as possible, same for when the new GTA Online launches.

One of the ways they can make Story mode more robust, just going by what they did with GTA V, is to merge single and multi player...

Strong disagree

GTA 6 will have a fully fleshed out single player just like RDR2. They just won't expand it further.

Mercador

Technically you can do it without spending real money. Each new business requires a buy in such as a property or company investment and these are usually around $2-4 million each. So you can grind the game until you make enough to buy each business to have access to these missions. It will just take a long unless you risk cheating/hacking in money or buying their shark cards.
I guess that's why the game comes with a 10M card.

Kerotan

I have a very bad feeling about monetization of GTA 6 online recent nba 2k games and this type of shit are clear indications we are in for a fucked up ride on the microtransaction train
They'll obviously double down on GTA+. There will be a season pass every 4 months the question is will you have to buy it continuously like in destiny or will buying 1 pass allow you to unlock the credits to buy the next.

They'll probably have way less cosmetics earn able in the game and instead have a store that changes weekly.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
that is insulting lol and I am sure enough people will still buy this for them justify or even double down on this type of fuckery in GTA6

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Damn, how the mighty have fallen. It's a shame to see what Rockstar has become. I gather they will hold off on this bs for the release of GTA VI, for the good will. They will let us breath before they begin drip feeding us this shit.

Top Bottom