• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

Has anyone else experienced those checkpoint issues (in stunt races) that I posted the video of on the previous page?

Surely it's not just me getting that much air off some of these jumps? It's such an easy fix too, Rockstar just need to move the checkpoint a little bit further down the track, or increase the vertical reach on some of them (so that you can fly higher above the top of them and still tag them).

Has anyone else experienced those checkpoint issues (in stunt races) that I posted the video of on the previous page?

Surely it's not just me getting that much air off some of these jumps? It's such an easy fix too, Rockstar just need to move the checkpoint a little bit further down the track, or increase the vertical reach on some of them (so that you can fly higher above the top of them and still tag them).

Yeah I've experienced it a couple times, going too fast (at least one instance was because I was slip streaming someone) and getting too much air and yup, going from top three to dead last in races because of it.

Left a comment on your video, but also wanted to point out that while it should be fixed, you can also avoid this issue (sometimes) by tilting the nose of your car down to drop faster, and flatten out before landing. Similarly, tilting the front of your car up toward the sky (though not completely vertical) will extend your jumps.

Left a comment on your video, but also wanted to point out that while it should be fixed, you can also avoid this issue (sometimes) by tilting the nose of your car down to drop faster, and flatten out before landing. Similarly, tilting the front of your car up toward the sky (though not completely vertical) will extend your jumps.
Very true. You could also just brake as you're hitting the ramp... but I still tend to think that the whole idea of a stunt race should be to get the biggest air possible.

I hope that ammo pick up change was intentional because I like not having to drop sticky bombs and pick them all back up to refill in Denial of Service, might not even just stick to that mission now since spawned weapons and dropped allow you to take the ammo now.

The Gargoyle is a badass piece of equipment.

Couple of recent incidents I found interesting. I was doing a stunt race a couple days ago and managed to pull this off completely by accident. And then this morning, it got a bit crowded at LS Customs.
Hell yes it is. And this time I have to thank you for introducing me to a bad ass vehicle.

I think it's just under the Akuma in speed, but it might handle better. Being a stunt bike, the physics have been altered so that it is harder to fall off. I was pulling all kinds of crazy stunts the other night, stuff that would have severed me from the Akuma.

I'm going to say that it makes the Akuma obsolete if you're into bikes.

Loving the DLC. Had my first few races on my buddy's PC version, then did active replays of my first time playing it via PS4. New vehicles are fun, but largely in love with the tracks, tubes, and can't wait for the update for building similar tracks.

Working on a video related to my first runs in Cunning Stunts, but until that is finished I wanted to share something that won't be publicly available on our channel until next week.

INSURGENT BUSINESS

P.S. You're welcome, Exit! Let's make something new soon!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hell yes it is. And this time I have to thank you for introducing me to a bad ass vehicle.

I think it's just under the Akuma in speed, but it might handle better. Being a stunt bike, the physics have been altered so that it is harder to fall off. I was pulling all kinds of crazy stunts the other night, stuff that would have severed me from the Akuma.

Think we tested straight line speed, and the gargoyle had a better starting speed but top speed was still the akuma

Wolfe

This appears to be a bug from what I can tell so far. What I mean by that is that for the stunt races themselves the bike physics were made so that it was harder to fall out, which makes sense given the nature of the new races. The bug being that after a stunt race your bike (regardless of the model) will retain these altered physics and then let you do stuff like fly down chilliad at full speed, crashing into stuff and not flying off.

In my experience bike physics are stifl normal before entering a stunt race.

Edit: does anyone have any recommendations for wifi extenders? The one I'm currently using (likely the cheapest I saw at Fry's lol) seems to be really hit or miss lately. Either dumping me into solo lobbies or dropping my connection all together. And I may be crazy but it seems like the windier it is outside the worse the wifi is (I'm separated from the building with the router by about 10ft).

That's an interesting observation, Wolfe. Though in my case riding on the Gargoyle in free mode affords you superglue to the seat characteristics. Short of running head on into another car or a wall, it seems nearly impossible to come off of the thing. I can't say I'm too surprised. I have already seen at least one video that shows that the player model clips through auto gates as long as the bike can pass underneath.

Oh and speaking of stunt physics: Is it just me, or does it seem easier to get cars to lift off or even flip over in turns? The T88 811 feels a bit more eager to take off while cruising around at high speeds. The situation isn't quite as bad as last year when hitting a slightly uneven road could make you completely loose control. Cars are still quite controllable, just lighter.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I haven't been able to convince myself to buy any of the new super cars yet. It's awfully satisfying to win a race with my trusty old Zentorno against fully modded cars with superior stats.

Wolfe

I haven't been able to convince myself to buy any of the new super cars yet. It's awfully satisfying to win a race with my trusty old Zentorno against fully modded cars with superior stats.

I think the only one I even would be willing to buy is the McClaren/Saleen as I don't care for the looks of the other two but after picking up the Tropos I'm a bit too poor again lol.

Speaking of the Tropos I'm really glad they made the "spoilerless" option one of the actual traction altering options. So nice being able to have the advantage of the extra traction without having a spoiler.

Now if only they'd make it like that for every car.

The T88 feels a bit more eager to take off while cruising around at high speeds.
Which vehicle is the T88 again?

I have the opposite problem, I want to buy everything. I've invested in an office, large warehouse, and fully upgraded delivery vehicles. Now I just do crate missions in an empty lobby when I'm solo, or do heists and VIP missions when I'm with my buddies. Sometime next century I should have them all...

Which vehicle is the T88 again?

I have the opposite problem, I want to buy everything. I've invested in an office, large warehouse, and fully upgraded delivery vehicles. Now I just do crate missions in an empty lobby when I'm solo, or do heists and VIP missions when I'm with my buddies. Sometime next century I should have them all...
Derp. I meant the 811.

Is it worth the executive building/CEO stuff if you're mostly solo-ing GTA Online?

I bought the 811 and one of the new Cunning Stunts cars but wish I had gotten the Seven-70.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is it worth the executive building/CEO stuff if you're mostly solo-ing GTA Online?

Eh, that's hard to say. Even if you buy the cheapest office and warehouse, it'll take a fair amount of time to recoup your investment. I also mostly solo and if I could do it over again, I'm not sure I would bother with it. Pretty much the only time I mess with any of it is if I manage to get on a server by myself. Otherwise people just try to wreck your business. It's frustrating.

Eh, that's hard to say. Even if you buy the cheapest office and warehouse, it'll take a fair amount of time to recoup your investment. I also mostly solo and if I could do it over again, I'm not sure I would bother with it. Pretty much the only time I mess with any of it is if I manage to get on a server by myself. Otherwise people just try to wreck your business. It's frustrating.

Ah, thanks! I had considered the minimum (the Maze Bank building) and basically spent the weekend grinding jobs out on invite-only which I don't actually mind because I like some of the missions and I can do them blindfolded at this point. I like that RS is still putting out new stuff for GTAO even though I'm not always partaking in them.

Mastah

actual_1468921010.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...wire&utm_campaign=gtao-cunningstunts-07192016

Striker

Yeah I see there's two new stunt cars added. One looks to be a Tampa version that got updated and another is a new Super car.

Also, I'm playing some setups right now and there's a person teleporting across the map, mostly via vehicle as we're going from place to place. I wonder how many people are doing this on PS4/XB1.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Also, I'm playing some setups right now and there's a person teleporting across the map, mostly via vehicle as we're going from place to place. I wonder how many people are doing this on PS4/XB1.

I've never seen that on PS4, but I don't do heists very often.

Symphonia

Banned
Anyone here playing on PS4 up for some stunt races on Friday night, around 8PM GMT? I'll be doing some recording for my YouTube channel, so looking for at least 3-4 other people to play with. Mics would be great, for voice chat during the races, but not necessary.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Anyone here playing on PS4 up for some stunt races on Friday night, around 8PM GMT? I'll be doing some recording for my YouTube channel, so looking for at least 3-4 other people to play with. Mics would be great, for voice chat during the races, but not necessary.

I am currently scheduled to be out of town for the weekend, but I think that might fall through. If it does, I'd be happy to join you.

Striker

I've never seen that on PS4, but I don't do heists very often.
I do heists now and again with randoms, but it's the first time I've seen someone teleport like that.

I just did several stunt races. Pretty damn fun, although I haven't got to use the Racecar Dominator or the trucks yet. The new Tampa is in the Sports class and I was smoking it with my Racecar Jester.

Gone on a mad spending spree and bought:
RE-7B
Tyrus
BF400
Brioso

Just need a bit more garage space for the Tropos Rallye but so far I'm in love with the Tyrus and 811.
Nice! I'm trying to decide between the Omnis and the Tropos at the moment and can't decide. I know the Omnis got a slightly better time around Broughy's test track, but the Tropos has pop-up headlights...

Tropos Is the right choice. That car is fun as fuck to drive. Looks and sounds amazing. Crank up the volume and floor it in first person. So good. Its handling characteristics are unique as well, being the only mid engine car with a wheelbase that short in the game. It squats hard on the throttle and if you break the limit, you're going tail first into something.

Amazing fun. I love the real life Stratos and the MK2 MR2 and the Tropos faithfully recreates that mid engine feel (even if arcadey).

Mastah

Gone on a mad spending spree and bought:
RE-7B
Tyrus
BF400
Brioso

Just need a bit more garage space for the Tropos Rallye but so far I'm in love with the Tyrus and 811.

Nice! I've bought BF400 and Brioso (new fastest off road and compact, duh), but I still need to grind another 1 million for RE-7B. Until then no stunt or normal races in supercars class for me, because I have no chance in my Zentorno or T20 against competitive players in their new shiny superfast toys, especially when catchup is on, lol :(

BTW. I love how Rockstar not only borrow car designs, but also take sponsors or inspirations from real racing liveries:

Pißwasser and Warsteiner

Dense and Denso

or Kronos and Petronas

As a racing fan it makes me grin from ear to ear :)

I'm waiting for patches and a discount before I buy one of the new super cars though by the time the discount happens new super cars might be around the corner. I did buy the BF400 and Brioso, FFS at the performance modding costs even with a discount.

Wolfe

I sold my Jester racecar to afford the Tropos but other than that the new shinies are too expensive or me. Would love to pick up the Progen at some point though as it's a blast to drive and the braking is insane.

The Tropos sure is a trip though, the characteristics were explained well above so I won't get into that other than to say yeah it's quite fun.

Also wtf at 1.7 million for an Ocelot sports car...

Sold some cars and bought the Tampa Drift, already well aware that it's in the wrong class and therefore sucks for racing. As a free roam muscle car, this thing is hilarious. Snacknuts and I were playing around with it and I mentioned that it looked similar to Ken Block's AWD drift Mustang. While it isn't as lively as Ken's monster, you can have some fun at moderate speeds. Understeers for days, but feathering the e-brake and brakes will get you some fun drifts. It feels like R* made this one for the GTA Online racers who understand in game double clutching (I don't really), because you CAN get it to boost out of a slide if you redline it.

Total showboat. Just know that before spending the mil and a half to buy and mod it out. Looks amazing with the livery stripped off.

It feels like R* made this one for the GTA Online racers who understand in game double clutching (I don't really), because you CAN get it to boost out of a slide if you redline it.

I just this looked this up because I hadn't heard of it. It's nothing to do with double clutching, the car-ignorant GTA community just stole the term for some reason. Pretty funny that Rockstar patched out this buggy behaviour then restored it after community outrage.

Is it just me, or have payouts from VIP missions been nerfed as of yesterday? We were getting less money from both Headhunter and Hostile Takeover. Also the sale price of rare Sandking XL's has been nerfed again, they're down about $1800 per vehicle as of yesterday as well.

Kadin

Feel like an idiot asking this but what exactly am I supposed to do if I start up an 'invite only' session of GTA Online? I'm doing this because I'd like to get to understand how things work and level myself a little bit but all I see are the option to do stunts. I have a few people on my phone but I can't get jobs from them apparently.

I originally played GTA:O way back when GTAV first launched on 360 and leveled up to 4. I've now imported this character into this version (GTAV for X1) and I have a car. I'd like to find what I'm supposed to do or who I'm supposed to talk to to start gaining some experience.

I also got 3.5m from the Whale Shark code included in the bundle I bought and want to start buying some stuff. Any tips would be great appreciate... I feel completely lost.

Oh and I did start playing with just random people but they all were so much higher than me that I felt it would be better to solo some stuff initially since I have really nothing atm.

DirtyLarry

So full disclosure, I think I played GTA:O for about 30 minutes when the game was first released. Seemed fun but I just had other games to play or something.
With that said I am super into the idea of this Stunt DLC.
Can I just dive right into it without having played anything else in GTA:O? Will I be at a disadvantage?
Basically I am just wondering if one would be at a disadvantage or anything along those lines.

Feel like an idiot asking this but what exactly am I supposed to do if I start up an 'invite only' session of GTA Online? I'm doing this because I'd like to get to understand how things work and level myself a little bit but all I see are the option to do stunts. I have a few people on my phone but I can't get jobs from them apparently.

I originally played GTA:O way back when GTAV first launched on 360 and leveled up to 4. I've now imported this character into this version (GTAV for X1) and I have a car. I'd like to find what I'm supposed to do or who I'm supposed to talk to to start gaining some experience.

I also got 3.5m from the Whale Shark code included in the bundle I bought and want to start buying some stuff. Any tips would be great appreciate... I feel completely lost.

Oh and I did start playing with just random people but they all were so much higher than me that I felt it would be better to solo some stuff initially since I have really nothing atm.
This question is actually quite tricky to answer, because GTAO has a lot of complex systems and many of them are never properly explained to the player (and as a Level 168 I feel like some of them I've only just gotten my head around lol).

Invite only session means that you're in a session of your own (i.e. without the public), and the only way other people can get in is if they're invited. It's one way to get started, although I think the fact that they feel very sterile (after all, what makes GTAO special is the fact that you're playing with other people) means that they're great when you're just beginning and trying to figure things out, but as soon as you feel able you should look at plying in a public session in passive mode. In passive mode you're completely safe from other players, but you can still see what they're doing, etc. (they basically look like ghosts to you, and you to them). Public sessions feel very dangerous at first, but they're also much more interesting, even when you're in passive mode :)

Maybe the most important things to know in GTAO are the two menus. One is the "Interaction" menu, and it's an overlay in the top left of the screen. On PS4 you open it by holding down the trackpad button, on XBOne I'd imagine you just hold down whatever button you would normally press to cycle through camera views. The Interaction menu is where all of the most important 'shortcuts' can be found, so it's worthwhile familiarising yourself with all of the options in it. It used to be a bit of a dog's breakfast, but since the last patch it's quite nicely organised now. Passive mode is the last option in the Interaction menu. The other menu is the main menu (it's the same as the single player Pause menu, only it doesn't pause GTAO!), and that's where you access the full screen map, full job menus, lobby and friends menus, settings, etc. Now there is almost a third menu, and that’s the phone. Pushing up on the d-pad will bring it up, and there are a couple of options there (Quick Job on the middle left, SecuroServ in the bottom right, etc.) that basically function like little menus too.

In terms of what jobs you should start out with, well there's a heap of things to do in GTAO: races, contact missions, heists, deathmatches, parachuting, and all sorts of other 'niche' game modes. Heists are best left to when you're a bit more of a seasoned player, and deathmatches and the like are probably painful options for beginners, but the other stuff you can jump into as soon as you like. The main problem you'll have is that most modes sit empty: if you try and join them, you'll often struggle to get other people to join. If you're fine playing some of these modes on your own, then they can be fun (e.g. doing a parachuting mission solo is still fun), but they won't pay much money when you do that. Now there will generally be a ‘featured’ mode or playlist, and you can see that when you’re loading into GTAO (at the bottom of the screen you’ll see a prompt to press a button to join a specific game type/playlist). At the moment that’s the stunt stuff, which is all heavily populated and a great place to start playing around. Other things to try are the “Daily Objectives” you find in the Interaction menu; they’re often very simple, force you to try things you might otherwise have passed over (and you might find that you really like some of these things), and you’re well rewarded for doing it: you get 25,000 for doing all of your daily objectives, 100,000 if you do them every day for a week, and 500,000 if you do them every day for a month. Even if you ignore the weekly and daily bonuses (since most people will never be able to get those), just doing the daily objectives for 25,000 is something I do pretty much every time I jump on GTAO.

If you’re just wanting to progress the contact missions, then check your phone for invites to any contact missions. If you don’t have any, then try calling the people who give you the lower level contact missions: Gerald, Lester, Martin, etc. One final option is just to go to the quick job icon on the phone and select Contact Mission there, it should put you into one pretty quickly.

In terms of what you should spend money on, that’s a personal preference thing to some extent, but I’d recommend starting with a proper apartment; it’ll give you somewhere safe to spawn into the game, as well as a garage for storing cars. Go for one of the high end apartments (the ones with 10 car garages) would be my recommendation (apartments and houses with garages are all 20% off at the moment as well); those ones come with a Heist room, which you’ll definitely want to have at some point in the future. I think the best apartments for heists are the Eclipse ones, but that’s just my personal preference (I just like their location with respect to the Pac Std Heist Setups).

With a proper apartment purchased, go to Ammunition and buy some decent weapons. The ones on the ‘left’ wall are mostly level locked, and will be unavailable to new players, but the ones on the ‘right’ wall should be available to everyone. In terms of which weapons are best, I’d highly recommending picking up the AP Pistol as soon as you can, as that’s the best weapon to fire from cars (which you’ll be doing a lot). Grab the Special Carbine too would be my advice - it was my workhorse weapon on foot until I unlocked the Combat MG. You’ll want the Homing Launcher too for taking out helicopters, and cars as well (until you get access to better explosive weapons for cars). I’d recommend upgrading the AP Pistol and Special Carbine before buying other weapons, but that’s entirely up to you. The Marksman Rifle can be a useful purchase too, especially if you haven’t unlocked any other sniper rifles - it lacks punch, but it does give you good range that you wouldn’t have otherwise, which can be handy at times.

On the car front, the most important vehicle you can buy is the Armoured Kuruma in my opinion. It is almost completely impervious to bullets, which means that NPCs (cops, enemies in contact missions, enemies in heists) basically can’t touch you in it. The downside is that you need to have completed the first Heist (Fleeca Bank) before you can buy one, so that should be a really high priority for you. If you can’t get that, then consider maybe getting the Schafter V12 Armoured - it isn’t as good in terms of bullet resistance, but it does have some explosive resistance too (which the Kuruma has none of), and that will help you against other players. Beyond that, consider getting a very fast car too - they’re expensive, but there are quite a few good options there depending on your budget.

Outside of cars, one of the most useful vehicles to purchase is the Buzzard (it’s a small attack chopper). It’s quick, it’s agile, it’s airborne, it has lock on missiles, it carries four people, and once you’ve bought one you can spawn them in for free if you’re a VIP or CEO (something that you won’t have to worry about yet, but is very useful later). They’re expensive but worth saving towards.

I’m sure there are lots of things that aren’t clear, so ask away. It was painful finding out all of this stuff for myself when I was starting out, so I’m exceedingly happy to spare others the same pain and I’m sure the other veteran GTAO guys here feel the same :)

So full disclosure, I think I played GTA:O for about 30 minutes when the game was first released. Seemed fun but I just had other games to play or something.
With that said I am super into the idea of this Stunt DLC.
Can I just dive right into it without having played anything else in GTA:O? Will I be at a disadvantage?
Basically I am just wondering if one would be at a disadvantage or anything along those lines.
I’m not sure about this one. In GTAO your character has stats, one of which is driving ability, but I’m not sure if it legitimately affects your driving ability. I do know that if you do racing it levels up incredibly quickly and you’ll be at max in no time.

The only other possible disadvantage you might have is in access to ‘custom’ vehicles. Whoever is hosting the race generally has the option of having only standard vehicles available to players (where everyone just gets to pick a vehicle from a menu for the race, so that everyone is on a level playing field), or they can have the option of using custom vehicles as well. The custom vehicles option means that people can use their own purchased version of vehicles which are eligible for that race, including any upgrades they’ve purchased for that vehicle. That can disadvantage people who don’t own those upgraded vehicles. It’s not a huge thing though, I regularly win in un-upgraded vehicles because I haven’t bought any of the newest race supercars - most people haven’t yet. Just jump in is my advice.

Mastah

Is it just me, or have payouts from VIP missions been nerfed as of yesterday? We were getting less money from both Headhunter and Hostile Takeover. Also the sale price of rare Sandking XL's has been nerfed again, they're down about $1800 per vehicle as of yesterday as well.

I don't know about mission payouts. I completed Headhunter yesterday and got 21k+ as usual.

As for car prices - there are visual mods on sale ("20% off Spoilers, Wheels, Tire Smoke, Skirts, Exhausts and Horns"), which affect price.

Kadin

*snipped*
Thanks a lot for that very thorough and detailed explanation of what to do. I think this Interaction menu is what I might be missing because I've looked in all the menus (phone as well) for stuff to do and there's nothing there. You've given me a lot to go on so I think this will be a big help. Thanks again!

I don't know about mission payouts. I completed Headhunter yesterday and got 21k+ as usual.

As for car prices - there are visual mods on sale ("20% off Spoilers, Wheels, Tire Smoke, Skirts, Exhausts and Horns"), which affect price.
We got 18,800 twice in a row for Headhunter, which none of us had ever seen before. Hopefully just an aberration then.

Good point on the mod discounts, I hadn't considered that they might lower the price of a vehicle you were selling, cheers! :)

Thanks a lot for that very thorough and detailed explanation of what to do. I think this Interaction menu is what I might be missing because I've looked in all the menus (phone as well) for stuff to do and there's nothing there. You've given me a lot to go on so I think this will be a big help. Thanks again!
You're most welcome. The Interaction menu is crucial, but I'm afraid it doesn't really hide any missions from you :(

I suspect the phone hides the solution you seek - if not in the form of an Invite, then by going Contacts -> calling Gerald, Lester, Martin, requesting missions, or by going Quick Job -> Contact Mission.

snacknuts

we all knew her
**huge, extremely helpful post**

I saw Kadin's post last night and intended to write a big post this morning, but you did a better job than I would have. I agree with pretty much 100% of what you said, and I wish I would have had that info available to me when I started playing online.

DirtyLarry

Is Cunning Stunts free on the PC?? I am not seeing any price listed for it and also do not see the DLC in Steam?? Or is it purchased in game?? I do not have the game yet but am thinking of picking it up hence why I do not know if it is in game or not.

Is Cunning Stunts free on the PC?? I am not seeing any price listed for it and also do not see the DLC in Steam?? Or is it purchased in game?? I do not have the game yet but am thinking of picking it up hence why I do not know if it is in game or not.
All GTAO DLC is free. Rockstar make money by selling Shark Cards ($500,000,000 to date).

Came across a super-annoying issue tonight while doing my first proper playthrough of the stunt races: some of the checkpoint placement is incredibly stupid, such that if you get big air off some of the big jumps - surely the goal in a stunt race! - you can actually sail right over the top of a checkpoint without tagging it, and have to reverse back along the track to get it. Pretty ridiculous, and clearly not intended!

Here are two quick examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EXdKzM9l0E
I just wanted to point out that Rockstar have actually moved the checkpoint you see in the Eligy clip to the end of that straight after the jump, fixing the issue :)

Wolfe

I was buying some crates earlier and I was pretty sure the third guy had clipped through the bottom of the map. He did not clip through the bottom of the map.

Hah weird, yet to see anything like that myself yet.

On another note, I decided to sell a few things and pick up the Lynx even though I think the price is unjustifiably high and man I gotta say I really enjoy driving it. Easily one of my favorite free roam cars atm. The design looks great and I like the amount of mods it has available. It's great fun throwing around corners and the sound is nice in that it feels unique and is of a decent loudness (as opposed to something like the Nightshade which has a unique lopey idle sound but it's so quiet it's easy to not notice).

If the money isn't an issue to you and your not fussed about it not being a top tier race competitor in it's class, I would recommend picking one up. At the very least you can test it out in creator mode I guess. Definitely a fun little car. I'd even say I enjoy it more than the 770 which I don't plan on getting rid of any time soon.

Top Bottom