• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

The motorcycle
blows and the KERS gimmick sucks. As awesome as the Savage should be it's lack of agility makes it a super easy target for homing rockets.

So Ward, PHOENIXZERO and Super MisterHero, do we still play tonight?

Depends on if people are on, I sent Hero a FR last night... PM me here or send me a message on PSN or both, I'll check here again at a bit after 10PM EDT but I don't really feel like playing GTA if just messing around. I have several other games I've been trying to play through.

So the only good vehicle is the armored car then :(

PV Insurgent is awesome though it's annoying that it also shows up on the map with an icon.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The motorcycle
blows and the KERS gimmick sucks. As awesome as the Savage should be it's lack of agility makes it a super easy target for homing rockets.

Depends on if people are on, I sent Hero a FR last night... PM me here or send me a message on PSN or both, I'll check here again at a bit after 10PM EDT but I don't really feel like playing GTA if just messing around. I have several other games I've been trying to play through.

PV Insurgent is awesome though it's annoying that it also shows up on the map with an icon.
I prefer the Karuma

Thought about this recently because my daily objective...

Has anybody seen a crate drop recently?

I haven't gotten one in like... 6 months. I'm level 52.

Auctopus

2 hours of heist drop-outs, idiotic crew members, empty adversary lobbies and endless loading screens.

Any players on PS4 please add me.

Tigress

Thought about this recently because my daily objective...

Has anybody seen a crate drop recently?

I haven't gotten one in like... 6 months. I'm level 52.

Oh god, I'm sorry, I doubt you'll get to do all your objectives today. Last ones i saw was back during christmas when they raised the amount so they'd show up so people could make sure to have a chance at special crates. I think there was some sort of bug with them that when they did that everything else in free roam popped up quickly so once the break was over they dialed it down so the crates don't show up again.

Auctopus

Sent you a request already, I think... will be free later with a friend or two!

Was that you I stole the Hydra with? That was a great job besides the guy crashing the hydra the first time round.

Yeah, the online is a lotta fun when there's a competent team, you don't even need headsets most of the time. But yeah, 90% is quite boring/infuriating.

Oh god, I'm sorry, I doubt you'll get to do all your objectives today. Last ones i saw was back during christmas when they raised the amount so they'd show up so people could make sure to have a chance at special crates. I think there was some sort of bug with them that when they did that everything else in free roam popped up quickly so once the break was over they dialed it down so the crates don't show up again.

FOund out you can call a Merryweather Ammo drop crate and use that. So I still got the daily challenge which was good.

But yeah the lack of any random crates stinks.

The lack of any ambient lobby-wide stuff stinks:
  • No "hitman" ambient missions
  • No "Distract the cops" ambient missions
  • No "Shoot this air vehicle" ambient missions
  • No armored cars (legitimately, I'm level 52, however many hours that takes, and I've never once seen an armored car
  • Few Simeon specialty car missions [E.g., "Special vehicle, go get it!]
  • No ammo drops

They have all of these ambient, lobby style missions but in probably ~50* hours of GTA Online I can't say that I've seen more than just the Simeon specialty green cars, and even then, that's only once every 10 or more hours.

I did see a couple of th e"distract the cops" RIGHT when the update came out, but not since then in ~2 weeks. The armored cars thing is a real mystery. I've never seen an armored car to rob in online. I don't really get why Rockstar has dialed them down so much, it's not like the rewards are significant... Just gives another activity to do.

[EDIT]

Actually, checked my stats.. 5 days, 1 hour, 51 minutes. So in 101 hours, I've never seen a single armored car to rob, despite this being in the trailer for GTAO. So many weird decisions with GTAO...

I did the easier parts have the lower payout compared to the harder difficultly parts so on easy you'll get less pay outs for set ups whilst on the harder parts in the finale you'll get a higher payout. I said it will be harder due to the difficult jump which might throw the people you're doing it with from setup to heist.
Okay, I gotcha.

This is why I'm suggesting it. First there are 4-6 set-up missions, so doing them on hard, even with a good crew can lead to fuck ups which cost time. Also, the Heist Leader doesn't get paid, so he's not being hurt.

Since the biggest pay-out is the Finale it makes more sense to spend more time perfecting a hard run on that.

Lastly, so many people shit on the Heist leader taking the 55/15/15/15 payout, that if you do the easy set-up/hard finale, 40/20/20/20 might be fairer to the leader (haven't done the math).

Thoughts?

Hey guys. When you're a passenger in a car, can you switch to a more powerful weapon than a pistol? If so, how?

While aiming, hit X. Either as a driver or passenger (assuming you have driving-ready weapons: Sawn-off Shot gun, couple SMGs, pistols, grenades, sticky bombs, etc)

Marvie_3

Banned
Finally got through the prison break heist today thanks to a GAFer and a couple good randoms. Hopefully the next 3 won't be such a pain in the ass to get going.

I'll be honest, I see a prison break invite and I'm like "no thanks." It's full of people doing doing heists their first time and the finale is a pain in the ass. Not to mention the money isn't that good, either. Doing Series A or even Humane is much less frustrating.
It does seem like you're not the only one that does this. It took me forever to find enough people to get through it and I notice a lot of the same people sending out invites for it.

I don't mind hopping in that heist though. The setups are pretty easy and quick and the finale isn't that bad unless you're
the pilot. The pilot does nothing but fly in circles for 15 minutes waiting for everyone else to do things.

Marvie_3

Banned
Lastly, so many people shit on the Heist leader taking the 55/15/15/15 payout, that if you do the easy set-up/hard finale, 40/20/20/20 might be fairer to the leader (haven't done the math).

Thoughts?
40/20/20/20 seems pretty common in the heists I've joined. After covering the leader's investment, everyone seems to come out with a mostly equal amount with the leader getting a bit extra to make up for not getting any money during the setups.

Yes, PSN = xenorevlis

Was that you I stole the Hydra with? That was a great job besides the guy crashing the hydra the first time round.

Yeah, the online is a lotta fun when there's a competent team, you don't even need headsets most of the time. But yeah, 90% is quite boring/infuriating.
Nerp, I have yet to experience the hydra :(

HOWEVER, I'm totally jumping on in a moment! (nudge nudge wink wink)

Tried out the Savage yesterday my friend took my Hydra so I had ago in his rather expensive toy.

I like it, only thing that worries me is pvp it would get ripped apart but fooling around killing NPC's would be war and lots of fun!

I will just stick to my Hydra though I love the fact it can hover!

Ted

Just the final setups and heist to go! Does any of the usual crew think we could squeeze in some setup jobs tonight/tomorrow?

Great job last night guys. Without spoiling it to you folks; the Trevor-heist "Series A" is pretty easy.

Yes, I was a little surprised by the difficulty drop compared to the Humane Labs setups and heist or probably even the prison break. Good fun though. I think my favourite part of the Series A setup/heist was either
escaping from the drug smugglers boat on the jet-ski
or
the simple joy of seeing my Online character being abused by Trevor.
. Though I think the difficulty is a little lower I also think our increased efficacy is due to having worked as team for a bit. We were so much slicker as a team even at the
stealth part at the Lost Camp
, I think that only took us two or three attempts compared to a dozen plus for the same type of setup in the Humane Lab job.

Looking forward to doing the last.

Out of curiousity, has anyone here managed to complete or even attempt the "All In Order" and "Loyalty" challenges yet? I'd be totally committed to tackling those two, but I don't know anyone that's dedicated enough yet to see it all the way through. My concern is the thought of someone bailing and leaving the crew high and dry after a day or two. But, if anyone here is serious enough about doing it, as in serious serious, then I would be down for it. Just wanted to see how many people here are interested in it.

Fuck even thinking about "Criminal Mastermind" for now. Don't think anyone wants to deal with the frustration that would ensue when that goes tits up, lol.

I'd be up for it but not for a while. I'm doing the in order one at the moment and once I have unlocked them all I'm keen to be able to join crew invites again and help out those looking for additional crew who are fed up with no-mic randoms for a while.

FOund out you can call a Merryweather Ammo drop crate and use that. So I still got the daily challenge which was good.

But yeah the lack of any random crates stinks.

The lack of any ambient lobby-wide stuff stinks:
  • No "hitman" ambient missions
  • No "Distract the cops" ambient missions
  • No "Shoot this air vehicle" ambient missions
  • No armored cars (legitimately, I'm level 52, however many hours that takes, and I've never once seen an armored car
  • Few Simeon specialty car missions [E.g., "Special vehicle, go get it!]
  • No ammo drops

They have all of these ambient, lobby style missions but in probably ~50* hours of GTA Online I can't say that I've seen more than just the Simeon specialty green cars, and even then, that's only once every 10 or more hours.

I did see a couple of th e"distract the cops" RIGHT when the update came out, but not since then in ~2 weeks. The armored cars thing is a real mystery. I've never seen an armored car to rob in online. I don't really get why Rockstar has dialed them down so much, it's not like the rewards are significant... Just gives another activity to do.

[EDIT]

Actually, checked my stats.. 5 days, 1 hour, 51 minutes. So in 101 hours, I've never seen a single armored car to rob, despite this being in the trailer for GTAO. So many weird decisions with GTAO...

R* seem to dial the frequency of these events up and down as one element of load mitigation. I suspect when the heist rush begins to tail off these events will increase in frequency.

Symphonia

Banned
Just the final setups and heist to go! Does any of the usual crew think we could squeeze in some setup jobs tonight/tomorrow?
I'm down for it, as always. It's honestly been amazingly fun playing with you, Way, and Dire. We work so well as a team. I really hope R* add more heists in the future. I know a couple of places that are open but haven't been used for anything that would make for some great heist scenes. I just want more time with my NGAF Crew, damn it.

waypoetic

Banned

I love my Insurgent. I'm judge, jury and executioner in that beast. Watch out randoms in open lobby-Los Santos!

EDIT: And Ted, Tony; i'm down for some games tonight. I got a pretty relaxed schedule this week.

Tawpgun

I hosted prison break and humane. I can dig the leader putting up the initial cost but not getting any set up money seems like an arbitrary restriction. Just leads to conflicts in the final payout scheme.

And my connection does not play well with this game. Almost makes it a dud. I can get 4 people into an invite only lobby. But I can't ever get into a free mode with more than like 4 people in it. Missions are even harder.

Might not sound like a popular idea but rockstar should limit the amount of missions available to the public/matchmaking on a weekly/biweekly maybe even daily basis.

There's too many missions and gametypes so it dilutes everything. So week one will only feature a handful of the total count. If you want to play a mission that's not in that week it would still be possible in custom games.

I'll be hosting Series A on XBONE this evening 6-10 est maybe a bit later.

I hosted prison break and humane. I can dig the leader putting up the initial cost but not getting any set up money seems like an arbitrary restriction. Just leads to conflicts in the final payout scheme.
There's a tooltip that explains why the heist leader gets the most money by default, but I assume most people ignore it. Rockstar should make it pop up every time to remind people.

GTA Online could be the GOAT if it wasn't for the terrible matchmaking process.

A matchmaking engine that is reminiscent of something from the original Xbox is so strange. Can't think of a high profile game that has worse matchmaking (or utter lack of matchmaking) than GTA Online.

It's amazing to me that you can't party up and play Deathmatches or VS Missions or anything. like that's absurd in this day and age to not have that. It's a game that would seemingly be MADE for that too. So many of their missions/jobs go unplayed because of the lack of matchmaking. I'd love to play some Capture or those versus missions, the ones that support 16 people, where you have cops vs. crooks, and so on, but you never get put in a room with more than 2 or 3 people, and most quit once you get to the team select screen. In 100 hours of GTA Online, I'd never played in a versus mission with more than 4 people I don't think.

I'm with you. I don't really get what the motivation is with that. But there's been a lot of head scratchers w/ Rockstar's motivations before and this.

Tawpgun

There's a tooltip that explains why the heist leader gets the most money by default, but I assume most people ignore it. Rockstar should make it pop up every time to remind people.

Can you explain why? I understand he fronts the cost but why no set up money? Just give me set up money, and give me an extra 10 percent of the cut to cover up front cost and maybe the "I'm the boss" bonus

A matchmaking engine that is reminiscent of something from the original Xbox is so strange. Can't think of a high profile game that has worse matchmaking (or utter lack of matchmaking) than GTA Online.

It's amazing to me that you can't party up and play Deathmatches or VS Missions or anything. like that's absurd in this day and age to not have that. It's a game that would seemingly be MADE for that too. So many of their missions/jobs go unplayed because of the lack of matchmaking. I'd love to play some Capture or those versus missions, the ones that support 16 people, where you have cops vs. crooks, and so on, but you never get put in a room with more than 2 or 3 people, and most quit once you get to the team select screen. In 100 hours of GTA Online, I'd never played in a versus mission with more than 4 people I don't think.

Like I said, its because there are too many missions. It's also because Rockstar clings to this idea that free mode is just a cool lobby for missions. But it's stupid. No one uses the little mission icons on the map because there are too many of them and chances someone is searching for that same mission as you is slim.

Free roam needs to be its own thing. Have cool challenges and was to get money in it. Have world events to funnel players into the same areas. Allow you to use your full sandbox.

And then have an ACTUAL matchmaking lobby where you choose what gametype you want. Get matched with people. Vote for the map. Play and have fun.

Can you explain why? I understand he fronts the cost but why no set up money? Just give me set up money, and give me an extra 10 percent of the cut to cover up front cost and maybe the "I'm the boss" bonus

The money that you're fronting is used to pay your crew members, apparently. And in the actual heist, the default payout is the way it is to make up for both the money you fronted and the money you would have gained if you were paid for setups.

Ted

I'm down for it, as always.

EDIT: And Ted, Tony; i'm down for some games tonight. I got a pretty relaxed schedule this week.

Tonight works for me, guys. Lets finish this!

Nice, I can be on from around 8pm GMT, maybe even earlier.

R* add more heists in the future. I know a couple of places that are open but haven't been used for anything that would make for some great heist scenes. I just want more time with my NGAF Crew, damn it.

I definitely hope for more heists in the future, it's great co-op content. In depth enough to require a little thought, focus and communication but not so complex that it becomes a chore. GTA:O feels like it was developed with long term modular enhancements in mind so I am hopeful for more heist content but you can never quite tell with R*!

R* really need to put more work in here. The changes they have made to quick join seemed initially really good with all the pre-matching but it seems to be filled with bugs and has a number of odd pieces of logic that make the end result worse than the previous iteration!

As a little ray of hope, just after the update released they had made a setting in lobbies called "allow client invites" public. This allowed the host to set whether or not joining players could then invite their own crew/friends in addition to the host having this option. I'm hoping it has just been turned off in the short term to mitigate load as it certainly helped fill lobbies with friends of friends for the short time I played with it.

I really hope R* add more heists in the future. I know a couple of places that are open but haven't been used for anything that would make for some great heist scenes. I just want more time with my NGAF Crew, damn it.

It'd be great if R* made use of the other Fleeca branches throughout Los Santos in the same vain as The Fleeca Job. Simple 2-player heists each with their own string of basic setup missions. Or heck, finally ignore the "Set before GTA V" continuity and remake heists from the story. Playing a heist based on The Paleto Score would be phenomenal in multiplayer.

Speaking of missions, I'm still wishing for R* to add in some sort of Contact Mission editor so the community can finally make their own co-op jobs. Capture Creator already has the elements needed for it, just needs the option to choose the objectives and a smart way of handling payouts to prevent $200 MILLION 200 MILLION RP UNLEMETED AMMO GLITCH exploiting/spamming.

Having "Play a Capture - Hold" as a daily objective is just fucking cruel considering how godawful the "matchmaking" is. Nobody ever joins, and I don't see any option to join anyone who is already playing a specific mission either.

R* plz.

DireStr8s

Having "Play a Capture - Hold" as a daily objective is just fucking cruel considering how godawful the "matchmaking" is. Nobody ever joins, and I don't see any option to join anyone who is already playing a specific mission either.

R* plz.

Yep. Some of those modes sound genuinely fun, too.

torontoml

Hey, lostprophet you on tonight? Did you do that last heist yet?

If not anyone wanna start back at the prison heist setups with me hosting?

Me, RaymaNv8, plus Patriot_Infinity, and co. tried out Heists when they came out.

This is what happened, via Episode 2 or Grand Theft Infinite :D

EDIT - Totally posted ep 1 by accident. Sorry, on phone!

https://youtu.be/8CFf72OmhCQ

P.S. I have one major final tomorrow, so I will be done with the final assignment and light studying early tonight. Down for some heists!

Top Bottom