• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

Anybody playing heists on ps4 tonight?
Maybe. Definitely didn't make it last night. Didn't go to the bar, or the lakeside toga party.

Ended up at the BBQ thing for graduating peeps and all that for ~9 hours. So I totally didn't get to do any GTA Online, but tonight... TONIGHT I shall likely be on. Not only that, but possibly in a room with 3-4 PS4s to play GTA Online (and 3-4 gamers, respectively).

With the addition of heists I'm finally ready to pick this up. Is it cheaper than $40 anywhere yet? I already played the last-gen versions but I want to get the PS4 edition sometime soon.

dh4niel

The heists were not worth the wait. Maybe it's just because I'm having so much trouble with a bunch of randoms, but all the hype lead to nothing.

The heists were not worth the wait. Maybe it's just because I'm having so much trouble with a bunch of randoms, but all the hype lead to nothing.
While I want to agree with you, I think they are definitely a lot of fun. Like I said earlier, I hate just how damn fun all of it is, because of how frustratingly difficult launching a damn heist mission is, and seemingly impossible to not have issues even after finally launching a setup or main heist.

Marvie_3

Banned
While I want to agree with you, I think they are definitely a lot of fun. Like I said earlier, I hate just how damn fun all of it is, because of how frustratingly difficult launching a damn heist mission is, and seemingly impossible to not have issues even after finally launching a setup or main heist.

The heists are definitely fun if you get a decent crew and no connection issues. Getting those two things is a huge pain in the ass though.

Striker

They've been super fun to me. Truthfully, any gaming (co-op wise) to me with randoms is often going to be a miserable experience. They're most of the time too annoying or selfish.

Also, my Daily Objectives seemingly will not update. This is Day 2 of them remaining what they were on Saturday.

ryan13ts

Ok GTA-GAF, I've got something I want your opinion on.

I just picked up GTA5 last week and though I had it on PS3, I didn't play much of the online mode and decided to start fresh. A few of my friends have the game and play online quite a bit, so I hopped in with them and we started heists. The main person hosting the heist isn't a direct friend, but a friend of a friend but everyone has worked together well thus far. I'm obviously much lower level than them (with less health/armor as such), so these heists have been a little more difficult for me than it probably is for them. I died a few times on the setup missions, but not overly so to where I was holding everyone back completely (They died quite a few times as well).

When it came time to do the Bank Heist, we ran into a lot more trouble than expected. We ended up failing quite a bit, at least 10 times (2 of which where caused by deaths on my part). After some connections issues as well, we finally regrouped for another attempt, but the host then tried to short me by a lower percentage than everyone else. It's just a game so I don't care about the money honestly, but it was more of the principle that I was trying to be given less than everyone else that pissed me off (as if saying your help is worth less), especially when anytime prior we were given an equal amount. I told him I wanted a fair share and he told me to take it or leave it, so I left and the whole heist fell apart.

Long story short, am I in the wrong for this? I put it at least 2 long days worth of work (including a prior heist and setup), so I feel that was pretty shitty to try to give me less when I worked just as hard and put in the same amount of time, even more so when I wasn't even the one causing the majority of failures for the mission (which was ironically the host). It was 6AM so I was tired and a little more irritable than usual, but I still felt that pretty lame. I hate drama of any sort so I don't want this to cause any issues with my other friends, who I play with all the time.

What do you guys think?

Symphonia

Banned
He's not a direct friend, but a friend of a friend? So he doesn't really know you then? If not, I'd say it's fair to give you a lower percentage than himself and the people he does know. I did a heist with two randoms and a mate. My mate and I had equal cuts, while the two randoms had smaller cuts. They were fine with it. Heists aren't just how you do, but who you know too.

The only thing I wished tey changed about payouts are how the heist leader does not get any payout for the setup missions, then the final mission they have a bigger percentage. Most people just don't get that, so they assume the heist leader is trying to pull one over on you. I just don't see why the heist leader wouldn't get a payout for doing an identical mission as everybody else. I don't mind the "heist leader has to front $40,000..." or whatever, although it really doesn't make any sense from the context of the missions... But... it's so arbitrary that the leader doesn't get any payout. Maybe it's to prevent people from spamming particular heist setups or something.

They've been super fun to me. Truthfully, any gaming (co-op wise) to me with randoms is often going to be a miserable experience. They're most of the time too annoying or selfish.

Also, my Daily Objectives seemingly will not update. This is Day 2 of them remaining what they were on Saturday.

I have this issue too. My friend has had his update regularly every day, mine seemingly takes 48 hours to update. I'll have to review tonight if I still have Saturday's.

I disagree with you here. They're what I was expecting and what they should be: multi-facetted single player type missions played co-operatively, and they require teamwork, utilizing each persons skills, etc.

The connection issues, of course, are horrible. And I agree, if I did not have 3 other guys to play with, they'd be absolutely terrible... But I'd rather they have this strong co-op component than they be missions that you can easily lone wolf.

What R* really needs to do is put more into the game that you *can* play alone. The game is a drag for anybody who does not have a solid group to play with. Of course, they also need to improve the ability to actually play modes... It would be a ton of fun if you could reliably play those mission and capture jobs, but the way it is now, those games just never happen. You can go through and look at Jobs -> Missions -> Versus, and so many of these sound like absolutely sublime brilliance, would be a total blast to play with 8, 10, 16 players... But the system is such a complete piece of shit and it is so broken that nobody will ever play any of these modes, ever, unless they have a solid 16 people to play with. Even trying to get 4 people for an adversary job is almost impossible.

Here's a great video of your average GTA Online experience... Took about 4 minutes to fill a lobby of 4 people, took about 60 seconds of "Launching game" for the game to launch once full, when it finally launches, it goes to team select, glitches out, boots us all out, then tells me I've been kicked (from the game I'm hosting), throws me into the GTA Clouds where it then proceeds to load for 2minutes and 10 seconds, finally "There has been an error joining session," and I'm kicked back to GTA Single player.

Classic.

Another bizarre thing... My friend has to do a TDM for his daily objective, and so he launches into TDM and invites me IMMEDIATELY. I join immediately and successfully connect to his game, it's 2 vs 1 (he's the 1), and the map is loading but it's still on team select. Even though I got into his server on team select... I'm locked out and have to spectate while this team gangs up on him for 10 minutes. They don't let me join a game in progress. What sense does this make? Almost no other game does this and it's a restriction that makes it impossible to play... so you constantly just have empty 2 vs 1 games. So, after the 10 minutes it goes to the mode select, and both the guys on the 2 vs 1 team vote for freemode, so it's back to freemode.

It's been this way for 16 months... And while I'm glad Rockstar could work on stability and other issues, they really ought to spend the next release improving this experience so that people can actually play modes together. Create a freaking party mode so that you and a friend can join TDMs together, or ANYTHING.

Tigress

What do you guys think?

He's not a direct friend, but a friend of a friend? So he doesn't really know you then? If not, I'd say it's fair to give you a lower percentage than himself and the people he does know. I did a heist with two randoms and a mate. My mate and I had equal cuts, while the two randoms had smaller cuts. They were fine with it. Heists aren't just how you do, but who you know too.

Why is it fair just cause he doesn't know the person?

You gotta think that maybe you got lucky you had randoms that were decent as well as didn't mind you doing that. But you risk getting shitty randoms because if I was pretty decent at the game and some one pulled that on me, I'd feel like I could probably find better people to play with elsewhere rather than some one who is just going to show preferential treatment no matter how well I contribute to his friends. Not unless he has a good reason (you got the easy job or something like that) other than you're not i n our circle. Fine, then I don't want to be as apparently I'm going to feel like the odd man out if that is how you are going to treat me. I want to play with people who want to play fair with me and don't want to make me feel I'm just lucky to be there. And if I was decent at the game, I would feel I could be picky about that. Hell, even though I'm not I'd probably not want to play with people who made me feel like that with tactics like that (as I said, I wouldn't mind if it was for fair reasons like getting the easy to do job or the fact I'm not great at the game so I don't contribute as much).

Honestly, I prefer not to play with people who already made their friends and aren't interested in playing with me other than using me cause they have to have me there. They've already made their circle of friends, I'm just going to feel like an outsider playing with them.

As for whether it was fair to walk out on the heist? Well, the guy did say take it or leave it so he accepted that if the guy wasn't interested in playing for that amount that he would rather have him leave. So, if he really was upset about the guy leaving, he shouldn't have given an ultimatum with pretty much one of the two options being "just go". He apparently would rather the person leave if he wasn't happy about it so he made his choice when he gave those two choices to the person.

Or in other words, I think it was fair game for you to leave, Ryan13ts. The guy pretty much stated that if you weren't happy he'd rather you leave so you did. And I don't think it is unfair for you to want equal to the other non hosts (I do think it's fair the host gets paid more as they front the cost and they don't get paid for setups) as long as you contributed equally. If the other members of the heist have a problem with that they really should take it up with the host who refused to pay you equally and told you to leave if you didn't like it (not that that will happen. Since they are friends they'll probably side with him).

ryan13ts

Yeah, I may not be his 'direct' friend, but I still feel that's shitty to give me half of the % he was giving to everyone else when I worked with them over 2 days just getting to that point. It really came out of nowhere too, since all the setups and even that attempts for the actual heist up to that point was even.

I told him it really wasn't anything to do with the money itself and just an issue of principle. I wouldn't have cared even if he gave me 1%, as long as everyone else was getting it (barring himself). And I have absolutely no problem with the host getting the big share of the heist, since he's paying for the setups and missions itself, that I completely understand. It was just an issue with feeling like told my help isn't worth as much as everyone else, when I did just as much.

It sucks though, since up to that point I was actually having fun and felt that came out of right field. I'm also pretty stubborn about stuff like that, especially when it comes to fairness, since I'd never do that to someone who worked with me and put it effort like that. I think the only reason it's bothering me is because I don't like loose ends, especially when we were very close to completing it but I guess that's my fault because of my unwillingness to compromise regarding the issue.

If anything they should be giving you more, that's why it's good to play with actual friends.

I'm 115 and own everything I want, plus 3 mil, I don't care about money I ask for a lower %.

But I guess people gotta be greedy!

Symphonia

Banned
New patch is out.

New Features / Updates

-Changes have been made to the matchmaking options and UI. This affects:
--Heist Planning Board
---A new option has been added to the Heist Planning Board that will allow you to press Left on the D-pad to quickly join a Heist as a crew member. You must have an active Heist in order to access this feature.
--Heist Lobby
---A "Matchmaking" option has been added to Heist lobbies that allows the Host to quickly change whether matchmaking is open or closed. ------When set to “Closed," only invited players can connect with the Heist lobby. This option is “Closed" by default, which means only players you invite can join the session.
---The “Client Invites" option has been reinstated for the host of the lobby that is “On" by default. This allows players that have joined the Heist to invite their friends. If you only want the host to be able to send invites, “Client Invites" should be set to “Off."
---Improvements to the “Auto-Invite" matchmaking option to help fill lobbies faster
---Improvements to matchmaking for Heists to fill lobbies faster

Miscellaneous Fixes

--Fixed a minor animation issue when throwing grenades while aiming on the PS4
--Fixed an issue where the Bad Sport flag was not correctly being removed from certain players' accounts
--Fixed an issue where vehicle frames were not visually displaying damage correctly when heavily damaged
--Fixed an issue where a black screen was appearing when PSN was down
--Fixed an issue where the “Looking for job" display was being removed after accessing the Internet from the in-game phone, even though matchmaking was still in progress
--Fixed an issue where the player could lose control of character after backing out of hacking the vault in one of the Heists
--Fixed a rare issue where the player could get stuck on a cutscene if launching a certain Heist while in Ron's Survival introduction
--Fixed an issue where Criminal Mastermind progression was occasionally not tracking properly
--Fixed an issue where players could spawn multiple parachutes
--Fixed an issue with the time of day on one of the Heists
--Fixed a possible crash when a One on One Deathmatch was initiated around the same time as a Heist invite
--Fixed an issue where a Kraken could be replaced by a Dinghy after receiving a Title Update
--Fixed an issue where a previous fix for character appearance changes was not applied correctly if the player was wearing a mask
--Fixed a rare issue where players could get stuck on a black screen when trying to enter GTA Online
--Fixed an issue where the objective could display incorrectly after evidence was picked up in one of the missions
--Fixed a rare issue with lost player control after accepting a cross-session invite
--Fix for issue where some players were experiencing freezing when trying to use the in-game cell phone in Story Mode
--Fixed miscellaneous recent exploits
--Other minor fixes for GTA Online and Story Mode to improve general stability

Calling the heist team again:

Super MisterHero, Ward, PHOENIXZERO and me
Tonight, this tuesday night
Starting around 9 or 10 pm?

Can we make it?

Symphonia

Banned
Do they not know about the invite thing? This is the second patch and it's still not being addressed
It's really quite bizarre how R* seem to be just sweeping it under the carpet. On the plus side, Way, baby, I'm with my new ISP. I'm getting a solid 10Mbp/s now.

sogood.gif

---Improvements to the “Auto-Invite" matchmaking option to help fill lobbies faster
--Fixed an issue where vehicle frames were not visually displaying damage correctly when heavily damage

Well hoping auto-invite actually gets lobbies to fill for modes. It's too bad how hard it is to play a job with other people.

Super MisterHero, Ward, PHOENIXZERO and me
Tonight, this tuesday night

Can we make it?

If I'm awake...

--Fixed an issue where vehicle frames were not visually displaying damage correctly when heavily damage

Well hoping auto-invite actually gets lobbies to fill for modes. It's too bad how hard it is to play a job with other people.

Yeah, people need a greater incentive to actually play the jobs, many seem to mostly be content with just hanging around in the "lobby" killing each other. I still wish most of this stuff was integrated into the lobby itself.

Ted

GTA-drama

That blows mate. People can be really uppity about stuff like that. It seems daft but hey, different strokes and all that. Let it wash over you and add some GAFricans. Most I've played with have been pretty damn cool.

Talking of which, I've been doing some research trying the heists with randoms, all for you, the lovely people in this thread. Turns out you're all right, couldn't be more accurate if you tried in fact.

A good proportion of hosts and players appear to be uncoordinated, silent, tight, deliberately obstructive, bad-boy thug wannabes. I got four main take-homes:

1) People who bring chrome Zentorno cars to heists are almost always going to be more hindrance than help.

When there's two cars available outside of an apartment and two teams of two need to go to two different locations Zentorno-dude will usually leg it to his car and drive off before you, his team mate, can join him. This leaves you stranded with only something you can steal of the street for the ride. Often Zentorno-dude will then plunge straight into a fire-fight when he's got there and die before his back-up has even arrived. As Zentorno-dude is such a gent though they'll then proceed to turn on their mic (at fucking last) and call you a twat for not getting there quicker.

Failing all that, if you have to steal a
bus
and lose the cops, Zentorno-dude might just spend his whole time trying to PIT the
bus
so when you die as the cops swarm you he can jump out of his bulletproof-from-the-rear car and and drive the
bus
into the sea. What a hero!

2) Some hosts are tighter than a ducks arse. 70/10/10/10 is NOT a fair split even when you didn't get any set-up mission rewards!

And of course then, someone leaves which will dump you through several layers of clouds until you get finally get to a session which isn't the one you left, probably isn't even the same aim-type AND your car is upside down on top of someone elses outside of some shitty apartment that's not yours. NIce one host! Cheers.

3) EVERYONE plays aim-assist. This makes many of them essentially trivial but of course it also makes everyone think they are a character in a John Woo flick so they rush head long into hails of bullets and inevitably die.

4) Hardly anyone talks. This renders some missions basically pointless to attempt like the
EMP delivery
one. Weirdly everyone suddenly has a mic when it's "not their fault" though.

All that said, there are some nice, fun random folk out there but all my positive experiences have been where there have been at least two, usually three, of the same crew in a lobby. Where this has been the case they have usually been more than willing to let me join in, even in some cases sending party invites, as it's in their interest that I play well. I think being a level 200+ might give some of them the wrong impression of both my abilities and likely attitude mind you!

So, err, anyone up for some heisting over the weekend? :D

See y'all in LS.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm thinking of starting up a series of Youtube videos, akin to Rooster Teeth, in which four or more of us get together for some hijinks on GTA Online. It would be in an invite session, to spare us random people killing us, and what happens could vary from video to video. One day might be an obscure race, or a deathmatch, or attempting stunts in free-roam.

If anyone is interested, please quote this post, and reply with your PSN ID. I'm looking for as many people as possible. If possible, though not 100% necessary, you will already be part of the Gaming Age Family (NGAF) crew.

Tigress

All that said, there are some nice, fun random folk out there but all my positive experiences have been where there have been at least two, usually three, of the same crew in a lobby. Where this has been the case they have usually been more than willing to let me join in, even in some cases sending party invites, as it's in their interest that I play well. I think being a level 200+ might give some of them the wrong impression of both my abilities and likely attitude mind you!

See y'all in LS.

Some of the nicest people I've met are randoms. No, wait, that's one of the nicest people I've met was a random and I met him through a random job even and most of the decent players I've met that I didn't meet through this forum/the GAF crew have been through him (He seems to attract decent players). And honestly it was such a weird occurance he sticks out solely for that (and the fact that he some how has this knack of finding more of these rare decent GTA player to play with).

Honestly, I find most randoms are immature and annoying but you do occasionally find decent ones. You just have to wade through a lot of crap.

Not talking heists though, I'm still trying to get the loyalty one so I won't be playing heists with anyone but my group until we're finished. And I'm not sure I'd want to try randoms, I already know what they're like just from free roam (for example a rarely disproved joke of mine is go into any random server and some one is calling some one a faggot. Occasionally I'm proven wrong).

Oh, and curse those people in chrome Zenternos giving my beloved Zenterno a bad name. I wish they'd go back to liking the Adder (I bet it's the same people who used to go around in chrome adders).

If I'm awake...

Yeah, people need a greater incentive to actually play the jobs, many seem to mostly be content with just hanging around in the "lobby" killing each other. I still wish most of this stuff was integrated into the lobby itself.

Part of it is matchmaking as well. There is an inability for people who want to play jobs to be matched up with one another, and the difficulty to get any sort of game going makes it much less common for somebody to try to play one.

Most times I go to play a job, say a TDM or something, I get put into a room with 1 other person, and it sits there for 5 minutes before eventually just not working, or we have a 1 on 1 deathmatch for 10 minutes. I don't believe that we're the only two people in the world trying to play deathmatch. The game just can't match people together.

They can try to incentize like other first person shooter games where you get a disproportionate amount of XP by completing specific tasks in deathmatch. Playing different modes, capturing bags, using variety of weapons, and having a multiplier for large games (e.g.,, up to 16 people gives you a 2x XP multiplier or something), which would encourage people to try to do these things without boosting in 1v1 deathmatches.

Tigress

Thanks again for the help! I've found a few other cars on that route you showed me and garaged the sabre turbo with the blower sticking out of the hood!

Well, CatDaFelix was the one who showed it to me so I'm just passing on the knowledge :). Plus I owed ya for the Hearse :).

waypoetic

Banned

Think i'm free this saturday :)

get together for some hijinks on GTA Online. It would be in an invite session, to spare us random people killing us, and what happens could vary from video to video. One day might be an obscure race, or a deathmatch, or attempting stunts in free-roam.

I'm down. Maybe we could get the crew together (Dire, Ted, you and i)?

Eklipsis

I'm thinking of starting up a series of Youtube videos, akin to Rooster Teeth, in which four or more of us get together for some hijinks on GTA Online. It would be in an invite session, to spare us random people killing us, and what happens could vary from video to video. One day might be an obscure race, or a deathmatch, or attempting stunts in free-roam.

If anyone is interested, please quote this post, and reply with your PSN ID. I'm looking for as many people as possible. If possible, though not 100% necessary, you will already be part of the Gaming Age Family (NGAF) crew.

What time would said hijinks be taking place?

Hey Gaf!

Just started on GTA Online. Any tips/advice? Joined the NeoGang on the social club. My PSN: Liquid_015

have back up and if a person or situation seems suspicious (like a white van pulling up in front of a clothing store with you in it) just stay away from them and hide till they go away.

also there are two kinds of lobbies:

Aim assist: AKA you're going to get shot out of your vehicle from miles away.

Free-aim: AKA people lvl 100+ are going to pull out their minigun or explosives if they cant kill you normally.

hope that helps :D

-signed, guy who bought a van just so his friends could shoot at randoms with LMG's from the back

Tawpgun

No one is capable of doing the pacific standard get away. Fuck.

At least I got set up money this time. Otherwise wasted an hour on that part alone

My skinny white bald character keeps turning into a chubby black dude with glitchy looking hair after playing online for a bit. He goes back to normal if I exit to single player then return back, but that's not exactly feasible to do considering the shitty loading times, especially when playing with friends.

This game just has the weirdest fucking annoying glitches, Rockstar can't program for shit. Anyone else has this issue?

PHOENIXZERO, Ward, Super MisterHero and me
Tonight, this Wednesday night

Can we make it?

PHOENIXZERO, Ward, Super MisterHero and me
Tonight, this Wednesday night

Can we make it?

Yeah, I'll be on, hopefully we can finally finish this shit tonight. It's taken way too long to get through this. Get familiar with the hacking part of the heist because you're getting that job, still not sure if I want to gather all the money or let you do it, but I'll get the car and all that. Did they fix the getting into a garage during the event? Because if not I'll be going to my garage to get my Armored Kuruma and we can all ride in that. Apparently everyone but the person getting their PV needs to get out of the city first before they can enter it.

Here's some of the basic idea of what we'll do, also show's what to expect from the hacking part. Obviously spoiler if you haven't done the this heist chain yet.

https://youtu.be/7-N2Bata8pc?t=12m00s

OKAY! Episode 3 of Grand Theft Infinite is up, with torontoml and BigBossMk23 (not sure if he is back from his ban yet, heh) and apparently featuring on-demand snippets of Darude - Sandstorm. I think it has something to do with today being April 1st...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIW3TUaNZY8

Oh and here is the thumbnail, which I'm pretty happy with as it shows Ray standing on a car which resulted in failing part of a heist setup, BigBoss a frame or two before he killed me with a hatchet, and toronto just before his rocket blew us up.

USwu8W.jpg

Eklipsis

Is there something wrong with the liquor stores? Every time I got to one it says it's just been robbed and no one there and they are not on my map anymore....is there another way to get snacks?

DireStr8s

I'd be down for this.

Man I wish I had the time to take part. Maybe after this weekend.

Think i'm free this saturday :)

I'm down. Maybe we could get the crew together (Dire, Ted, you and i)?
I should be free as well. Ray and I wanted to do some heists soon, and unlock insurgent, make monies, maybe do some races. My custom race should be playable by then...

Symphonia

Banned
Ok cause I usually play later around 1130pm till 1 or 2am eastern time (Michigan). My psn is king_coopr feel free to add me either way
Like I said, I can get online any time. One perk of being self-employed.

I'd be down for this.
Yes, Dire, good lad! That's you and Way in so far, just need Teddy boy now.

Man I wish I had the time to take part. Maybe after this weekend.
Sure thing, dude, it won't be done just yet. I need to get a list of who wants in and their timezones.

I don't suppose they're any UK gaf GTA players who play consistently and would like 3 non randoms to do heists?

I have a number of friends who play this but only 2 are regularly online.

Being sat in a team of 3 and waiting for our 4th friend to play is soul destroying just so we can finish the heist.

You must enjoy being mugged ;)

Top Bottom