• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

Tigress

Run the Pacific Standard heist as many times as you can stand.

Or start up a high paying job and run through them nonstop on hard until you tire yourself out.

And that is why microtransactions are bad... because look, already you are advising some one to do the same thing over and over and over again until they get hte money. WHich is exactly how MTs make their money, cause people get sick of doing stuff over and over and over and eventually just want to pay to get over the grind. And they will purposely design a game to encourage that.

This is exactly what I mean when I say you can tell R* was influenced by the MTs in their game design. It encourages you to grind the same missions over and over (or heists) to try to make that money and hopes you get tired of it and decide to pay instead.

So I won't need to wait 40 minutes for 2 people for a heist now?
Even if they'd made no matchmaking changes that would have been the case. Everyone will be doing heists to get money to buy all of the new stuff.

I wanna buy the 8 million dollar yacht anyone know a good way to make money haven't played GTA in ages
Heists. The final heist (Pacific Standard) in particular pays excellent money.

Beyond that, there are big bonuses for doing all of the heists in order, and for doing all of the heists with the same crew.

And that is why microtransactions are bad... because look, already you are advising some one to do the same thing over and over and over again until they get hte money.
To be fair, the heists are excellent and a lot of fun. It would be better if they all paid as much as (or at least closer to) the Pacific Standard heist though so that there could be more variety.

Pacific Standard has five (or is it six?) setup missions and then the heist itself, so it's not like you're just doing one mission over and over, but it would be great if you could just run through any heist to get decent money.

Tigress

To be fair, the heists are excellent and a lot of fun. It would be better if they all paid as much as (or at least closer to) the Pacific Standard heist though so that there could be more variety.

That's the thing though, the game is designed to be grindy. I would not be surprised if they didn't actually make only a few really pay out so well as a way to make it so that only a few things really are worth doing to make the money so that you end up spamming them over and over again so that you get tired of it and want to pay.

I'm absolutely sure though that they designed the online game with the idea that they needed to push MTs and encourage them in some sort of way. They balanced it decently to still be fun, but I would say the game probably would have been balanced more for fun if there wasn't MTs vs. fun but just enough annoyance to get some people to spend MT money. Which is why I think people should be upset at MTs, not because they may or may not cost more money (cause yes, you can avoid them, I refuse to spend a dime on them honestly and feel that I compromised even by buying a game that has them). It's because it's a monetary system that encourages them to make the game less fun (but not so obvious that you just stop playing).

Though, part of me has been reasoning that maybe I shouldn't complain as long as the game is still fun (which overall it is though I do find it's a little too much on the stingy side for making money and I hate the decision to make it so a car you own you have to pay for if it gets blown up or if you blow up some one's car and I definitely think that was influenced by MTs) cause it allows me to play the MP part of the game as I just can't justify on my budget a monthly subscription fee. Though part of me feels bad for being like that cause i want to support the system that would encourage them to just make the game as fun as possible. So, I admit I'm a little torn there.

And that is why microtransactions are bad... because look, already you are advising some one to do the same thing over and over and over again until they get hte money. WHich is exactly how MTs make their money, cause people get sick of doing stuff over and over and over and eventually just want to pay to get over the grind. And they will purposely design a game to encourage that.

This is exactly what I mean when I say you can tell R* was influenced by the MTs in their game design. It encourages you to grind the same missions over and over (or heists) to try to make that money and hopes you get tired of it and decide to pay instead.

It is an odd/
sad
, second-life scenario. And I don't mean second-life as in "Second Life", but rather a life away from life. I refuse to buy Shark Cards. I find that my group of in-game friends and myself will usually goof off in a free roam lobby to a point in which we no longer have the funds to run-a-muck. We settle in to the monotony of running the same high pay out missions over and over again to earn more cash so that we can goof off again. Maybe that's the allure. I feel like I'm in my 20s again where the only purpose is to goof off until I have to act like a grown up and find work that pays well enough so I can goof off again.

Omitting any Shark Card influence, it isn't much different than what I used give my brother a hard time about during his high school days, wasting nights away in MMORPGs. In a way, I guess I'm a hypocrite. Except, I'm playing 3rd person shooter with little to no plot and fewer avatar customization options.

I'm going to take my antidepressants. Thanks, Tigress.

Mastah

Yes:

CWQd-0EU4AAronn.jpg

6pYLW9R.png

M8wXtFY.png

h2QT1AJ.png

http://gtaforums.com/topic/832884-festive-surprise-2015-items-spoilers/#entry1068258999

Piers

Update is out and it's glorious.

Yes, yes, yes! And matchmaking is really super quick now, I got results within 20 seconds.

The cynic in me says that could just be the influx of players from the recent update. Lowrider was somewhat the same, and naturally the release of the PC version had people join games super quickly.
It's nice to see they're still trying to solve this problem, though. And why wouldn't they? The staff made so many jobs that end up ignored. :(

The yacht is a nice spawnpoint but pretty useless otherwise. Bought the aquarius because I wanted to have that new chopper on the helipad. Glad it doesn't take a property slot though or I would have been pissed as you can not sell it.
The stilt appartments are neat and I love the new cars because I play this game as an arcade racer with the possibility to collect a lot of cool cars.

One thing that still really annoys me is that you can't use the quick job feature for many of the daily objectives. If you have to do a Capture - Contend for your daily objective, you can only select Capture for the quick job and have a 75% chance of being put into a Capture type that isn't contend, and so won't help with your daily objective.

It's ridiculous, because the whole point of the daily objectives is to help populate game types, but people end up having to host their own bloody job and start as soon as they get two people, when they could be helping to add player numbers to games which were already running (making them better). Such a boneheaded move.

Mastah

It's even worse with races. Car, bike, bicycle, sea, air, GTA and rally. There's no way other than remembering what name is which type of race and then of course you have no idea if you lucked into GTA or rally lobby until you joined the game. So you have to host it yourself and wait for other players, who are unaware of what they're joining.

And they destroyed what was sooo good in GTA IV racing community. I've spent thousands of hours in Race and GTA Race modes because they were simple, but unbelievably enjoyable. No stupid auto aim/free aim split (who the fuck at Rockstar thought it would be a good idea to split player base in half for no fucking reason? :/ ), no power-ups, no ridiculously overpowered slipstream or catch-up. I will never forget GTA races starting in fire trucks or ambulances (we can't even do that now, for fuck's sake), people blocking tight alleys, others camping at rocket launcher spawn, while the rest was looking for a faster car to switch or try to make it in starting vehicle. So many beautiful memories and so much moments of pure joy.

Now with GTA Online in 2 years I've finished something like 50 GTA races (while in IV it was weekly, at worst monthly number) due to Rockstar taking fun away, splitting player base and information of what kind of race I actually join. Damn shame :(

I've been trying to put this together (CM) for months. And yeah, the biggest challenge is time/schedule.

I set aside two days a couple of weeks ago and it was the same old story: Everyone swears they're serious and then that one person is MIA. No messages, no explanation, just doesn't show up. Blows the whole thing.

I'm going to have the place to myself the week before Thanksgiving. I'll be working, but home by 8pm central US time. If those hours work for you, we can get together with another two and run through it over a few days. A few hours at night over 2 or 3 days should be enough.

PSN: Randy_M_Green
I will be down for this in the near future. It has to happen.

Hahahahahahaha
Hey, a man can dream, right? I was only hoping that with the matchmaking improvements that may or may not have been made, the loading of assets and other players was tweaked enough that loading may be slightly faster. Ah well, maybe GTA6 / VR...

Tigress

So for the yachts, after looking at pics and whatnot, I get the impression they did the same thing with the yachts as with apartments, tehy all have the same interior? Am I right on this. Hell, the 7 million yacht looks almost the same as the 8 million yacht save some awnings and a little cosmetic changes and it looks like you still get a heli but you get two less ski dos.

So anyone know the differences between the yachts other than looks? They even appear to be the same size really.

So is matchmaking actually improved? Any good feedback?

Better way of putting it: Can you play any game modes? E.g., Versus Missions? Anything close to Cops n Crooks?

It really is a marvel how Rockstar killed their most popular GTA IV online modes with the GTA Online matchmaking system. Just a headscratching marvel.

Played quite a bit today. Finally got to hang out with fellow GAF member, thecosmicfly. Thanks for hanging out with us and running a good heist, buddy.

Played around with friend's new car purchases. I like the Nightshade. It definitely isn't the fastest or best handling muscle class car, but goddamn you get some fat burnouts and drifts out of it. The engine sound, the way it handles. The only other muscle car in the game that I can think of that really gives you that feeling that you are behind an engine with 4 wheels and torque for days is probably the Vigero.

Those VIP sedans are no joke. They can take a direct RPG hit before they go down. Fast and incredible handling (though that my have more to do with the handling tweaks in the update).

I also messed with the Rockstar Editor again for the first time in awhile for a video of a dramatic killing of my friend's ghost after he logged out. Enjoy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaN-gnQtJ4U

Mastah

So is matchmaking actually improved? Any good feedback?

Better way of putting it: Can you play any game modes? E.g., Versus Missions? Anything close to Cops n Crooks?

It really is a marvel how Rockstar killed their most popular GTA IV online modes with the GTA Online matchmaking system. Just a headscratching marvel.

Not really

Yes, it is improved. I play in Free Aim, so naturally some modes are pretty much dead, but always within 20-25 seconds I got the results, either game is found or I have a chance to host it. With my pretty poor connection I found a deathmatch and heist in 5 or 10 seconds, while previously the wait was much longer, so how can you say it's not really improved?

But I agree that Rockstar killed some very popular modes from GTA IV. GTA Race is one of them, but it's done by poor design choices rather than matchmaking.

Tigress

Well I found an annoying bug. I bought the Piscus yacht which comes with a Swift but half The time the Swift won't let me enter in to pilot it and I have to leave the yacht and come back to get it to work.

Also, not a bug but still annoying. Apparently, you're not allowed to be in passive mode when in your yacht's helicopter (you can be in the boats that come with it).

E92 M3

One guy decided to randomly parachute into our yacht and kill a bodyguard. For next 15 minutes we just hunted him down and killed on every respawn he had. It was hilarious.

Mastah

Because the past few days i have sat in a lobby waiting nearly 20 mins for players to join a six player mission, thats why.

Also the occasional, 5 mins to get online, join mission, 2minutes later *cloud error* or *mission unavailable* wait another 5 mins to go back to gta online, *gta session not available* go back to single player, spend another 5 minutes getting back to gta online...

I'm going to guess you are on ps4 with the higher player count..

Which still does not excuse the really poor matchmaking system.

Sorry if that's your experience, but mine is significantly better since the latest update.

Xbone BTW.

I played a bit this weekend and we had full adversary mode games for about an hour, it was fun. The football one is hilarious. The 2 shot one is kind of boring... IF the game loaded faster it'd be fine, but for a game that is so damn slow, it's pretty painful to have a 20 second long match followed by 3 minutes of loading.

Still can't really tell if it's going to be possible to play any of the Versus Missions

Adversary modes are pretty fun because they usually only require like 4 people to actuall yplay... but if you can get 8, then they're a blast. Those versus missions that require 3 are basically unplayable unless you can get at least 6 players, and are a blast with even numbers divisible by 3... but it's just impossible to get the games going. A 5 on 5 on 5 versus mission would be brilliant... but I doubt it's ever been successfully achieved in GTA Online history.
(oh, I'm on xbone)

Looks like the Valkyrie was nerfed. Tank round damage seems to have been halved.

We got about 6 to 7 friends in a lobby last night. Ran the VIP Fort Zancudo Rino mission. Straight up war zone.

This version seems really unstable too. Noticing a lot of cars, both NPC and player, spawning into each other. Your character is also thrown from helicopters when they explode if you are close enough to the ground. It's hilarious, but its glitchy.

Connectivity has been pretty dodgy over the last 48 hours.

Oh and another dramatic ghost killing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T18krRq8XMM

Striker

Those new armor vehicles are not worth it, way too overpriced and you can still get shot in them unlike the kuruma.
Can you blow them up with sticky bombs or RPG shots? If not, then they're just smaller Insurgents with less strength when crashing into other vehicles.

Tawpgun

Those new armor vehicles are not worth it, way too overpriced and you can still get shot in them unlike the kuruma.
I think they nerfed the Kuruma.

Before it was completley bulletproof. Not so much anymore. It's just harder ebcause the glass is smaller.

Oh and you cant throw explosives out of it.

A few of the new executive vehicles are worth it. Check out this guy's analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJQSv1_41LM

He puts the Schafter LWB Armored sedan at 3rd best in the sedan class around a course. Things get even better with the Schafter V12 Armored, coming in at the 1st place in the same class. Considering they can take an RPG and have bullet resistant glass, they are probably worthy of a parking spot in your garage.

I think they nerfed the Kuruma.

Before it was completley bulletproof. Not so much anymore. It's just harder ebcause the glass is smaller.

Oh and you cant throw explosives out of it.

Yeah, players have been vulnerable through the slots in the Karuma for awhile. Its claim to fame these days is the stiff frame that lets you punt other cars out of the way and its overall handling and speed when fully upgraded.

Matchmaking is still crap. Been hosting a Extraction 1 mode for the last 15 mins. Had 1 guy join for 30 seconds before leaving. Mode requires 3 people... This will never launch. Sucks considering this is one of the brand new modes you'd think people would play it.

But nah rockstar matchmaking is just shit.

Top Bottom