• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

Marvie_3

Banned
I might be in the minority, but I find nearly all of the normal contact missions pretty dull. The heists is where it's at for me.
I go back and forth. I'll get sick of doing contact missions and go back to heists. Then I get bored doing the same heists and go back to contact missions.

Symphonia

Banned
I can play High Profile Case and Titan Of A Job over and over again without getting bored, especially HPC, as there are so many ways to approach it.

How hard is it to jump into online? I want to try it but I'm skeptical because of all the griefing stories that I hear. I don't have any friends that play this online either. Any recommendations? I wish all of the online updates was in single player.

How hard is it to jump into online?

It isn't very difficult. Simply create a character and run through the initial tutorial missions. Recent updates have made it easier to get higher powered weapons at a lower levels, meaning you will be able to pull your own weight in jobs and heists.

I want to try it but I'm skeptical because of all the griefing stories that I hear.

Free Mode in GTA Online is basically Griefing: The Game. As soon as you spawn, people will hunt you down. Stand around too long and you'll get a bullet to the head. Get near a group of people duking it out and expect to get rolled over by a tank. Jack a chopper from a helipad? Someone's sending a stinger your way.

It's all part of the game and should be expected.

I don't have any friends that play this online either. Any recommendations? I wish all of the online updates was in single player.

Recommendations? Learn to watch your back. Keep one eye on the map and the other on what's going on around you. Don't fall victim to other players' traps and learn to set your own. This isn't a third person shooter. If you want to get into it with the other players, learn how to lure them into a choke point or your own traps. Pay attention to the levels of people who are chasing you down. Anyone over level 120 should be considered pretty lethal and shouldn't be trifled with until you start learning more about the game.

Don't get caught up in your KD ratio. Odd recommendation, I know, but some people still treat GTA Online like it's Call of Duty. Enjoy the open sandbox and all of the things you cannot do in the Story Mode.

GTA Online is best approached as a social experience. I rarely play alone. Missions, jobs, heists, and events are best played with people you know. Hook up with some fellow GAF members. Sign up for the Rockstar Social Club. Join the GAF crew.

If you find yourself getting walked over in Free Mode without any opportunity to enjoy yourself, you do have the option to create a single player, friends only, crew only, and invite only sessions. I find that half of my online time is spent in these private sessions with friends, while the other half is running around in public lobbies like a crazy person.

Take some time to explore the map. Some things are different online. You will find that your online character will become far more deadly and capable than Trevor, Franklin, and Michael could ever hope to be.

GTA Online received some massive updates during 2015. It may have its problems, but I would venture to say that, at this point, the online mode is reason enough to buy a disc. Even if you were never going to touch single player mode.

Tigress

Thank you very much for that explanation. I'll give it a shot by trying out the private session first and go from there.

I usually do private/with my friends only when I'm wanting to earn money/grind a little and also chat with my friends and only play with randoms when I'm really bored and not caring if I die or lose a little money. Or just want to watch other people do shenanigans. Or listen to the idiocy on the public chat (and it's usually idiocy honestly).

Though every now and then I meet fun people that way. Hell, Christmas Eve I managed to get on a server where almost everyone was fun to play with and not griefing or being racist/homophobic/sexist assholes. It was like a christmas miracle (seriously, I've never been on a server where almost everyone was actually decent to play with. Usually I might find a player or two).

Thank you very much for that explanation. I'll give it a shot by trying out the private session first and go from there.
Private session is a good starting point while you familiar use yourself with the quick menu (hold down trackpad button on PS4, not sure about other platforms).

That menu is crucial in GTAO and its worth familiarizing yourself with all of the options in it (and their sub menus). Once you've done that, jump into public lobbies but make use of Passive Mode (it's one of those menu options).

In passive mode other players appear like ghosts to you in freeroam (and vice versa). You can't access your weapons in freeroam, but you can't be killed by other players either. TBH I spend 99% of my GTAO time in passive mode and I'm level 110.

The only real downsides with passive mode are that if NPCs take a dislike to you then you can't shoot back, and certain freeroam things (robbing stores, doing the public events, etc.) require you to jump out of passive mode. But it's easy to switch between passive and non-passive as often as you like (with a short cool down timer).

Once you have your head around GTAO a little more then you can forego passive mode entirely if the chaos of freeroam griefing appeals to you. Obviously it doesn't really appeal to me but I'm probably in the minority there: a lot of people seem genuinely confused when they see me in passive mode and don't seem to even know it exists :)

Yeah, passive mode is an excellent way to get away from attackers and regroup. It can also be used to get the drop on other players when you have a glass cannon, like an armed chopper.

You can run around this way at all times, but honestly, I think it's best to only use it when you are trying to plan something or need a second to think. Part of the thrill of GTA Online in a public lobby is hanging out with your friends, not knowing when someone could drive by and start some shit. Haha!

Hi guys, just got gtav for ps4 and started playing online but so far is taking a lot of time to find nice games and when i do sometimes it crashes or i get kicked out.

Anyway, i see there are 2 neogaf gangs in ps4 but one of them is full so i requested to join the gaming age group but from the message board in it i see it hasn't had a lot of activity for 5 months while the other one seems more active. Is this a problem?

Tigress

Hi guys, just got gtav for ps4 and started playing online but so far is taking a lot of time to find nice games and when i do sometimes it crashes or i get kicked out.

Anyway, i see there are 2 neogaf gangs in ps4 but one of them is full so i requested to join the gaming age group but from the message board in it i see it hasn't had a lot of activity for 5 months while the other one seems more active. Is this a problem?

I didn't know there were 2. I'm in one of them. I am guessing the less active cause when I'm on I don't see many others on but it's not like I'm on much either but the yacht DLC brought me back... well until I went to visit my parents but I'll probably be back a little once I go home (Depends on how much Fallout pulls me back in).

I in general find some decent players with mine but as I said, I suspect I'm in the less active one (we were pretty active last year but people have drifted off into other games at this point... I think after Heists was out and people finished up those you started seeing less of our crew).

I mean you can join 5 crews so unless you have 5 other ones you want to join you could join, see if it does anything for you, and if your five fills up and you want to join another and it's not been active enough for you, drop it. Long as you don't have a lot of crews to join right now it wouldn't harm you to join.

oatmeal

Banned
Anyone know why my Dailies aren't updating every day? I'm trying to do them every day quickly so I can quickly get money, but the last two days it hasn't updated (tried switching servers, too).

I don't get it. This has happened several times, too.

I did get the Week one, even though there was a 4-5 day gap between getting new ones.

Striker

I had my dailies glitch out on me once, too. It was 3-4 days until it fixed itself. It didn't reset my streak that I had going.

And are the servers down right now or something? Not connecting for me.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up GTAV. Been playing some GTAO. Why does it seem noone wants to do any missions, races, heists, etc.? Me and a friend try to ask everyone to join and usually if we are lucky only 1 other person joins. It seems most people like to just run around and kill other players in free mode. Any way to get more people to join or should I just friend a lot more gaffers and look to acquire participants there?

psn: bombdrop

Yep, nobody does anything. The invite system sucks.

If you're playing with a buddy the best chance is to play the Adversary modes. They usually require between 2 - 8 people to play and the games fill up relatively quickly on weekends (like... 5 minutes of waiting = relatively quickly). Once you get 2 more people in them you can launch them, but usually two randoms join more join quickly because they invite, etc.

Adversary mode is a good way to get fun games going but it takes patience to get started.

Just picked up GTAV. Been playing some GTAO. Why does it seem noone wants to do any missions, races, heists, etc.? Me and a friend try to ask everyone to join and usually if we are lucky only 1 other person joins. It seems most people like to just run around and kill other players in free mode. Any way to get more people to join or should I just friend a lot more gaffers and look to acquire participants there?

psn: bombdrop
Most people have done all of those things to death unfortunately. People looking to do serious racing generally play in organised groups, and those doing heists to earn cash will generally only be doing the final heist (Pacific Standard). Getting to know the players in a crew and playing together semi-regularly is the way to go.

Tawpgun

Yep, nobody does anything. The invite system sucks.

If you're playing with a buddy the best chance is to play the Adversary modes. They usually require between 2 - 8 people to play and the games fill up relatively quickly on weekends (like... 5 minutes of waiting = relatively quickly). Once you get 2 more people in them you can launch them, but usually two randoms join more join quickly because they invite, etc.

Adversary mode is a good way to get fun games going but it takes patience to get started.

Been saying it since launch.

Too many activities. They need to limit the ones available every week and keep rotating them. If the one you want to play isnt in the rotation that week you can still start it up in a private lobby.

Been saying it since launch.

Too many activities. They need to limit the ones available every week and keep rotating them. If the one you want to play isnt in the rotation that week you can still start it up in a private lobby.
They should offer double XP and cash for a certain game type each week to funnel people into certain activities. You're right, the insane number of job types just spreads the player base too thin and effectively ruins everything.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Most people have done all of those things to death unfortunately. People looking to do serious racing generally play in organised groups, and those doing heists to earn cash will generally only be doing the final heist (Pacific Standard). Getting to know the players in a crew and playing together semi-regularly is the way to go.

Yeah. I also feel there should be lobbies for just us low rankers for a multitude of reasons.

It seems most people like to just run around and kill other players in free mode.
I'm certainly not one of those players (the only time I kill non-friends in free roam is when my daily objectives demand it - I mostly play in passive mode), but there is still plenty of fun to be had in free roam. Here's a video from a couple of nights ago where I was just screwing around with two friends after a race ended:

https://youtu.be/4F30ihM37UA

A pretty tame situation to begin with that eventually ended up in a pretty hilarious chase and ending.

The GTA sandbox means you can really make your own fun at times. I much prefer the structure of heists, but sometimes just exploring the world can be a lot of fun.

They've added a lot of ambient fun to free mode which has been great. The free mode events are the biggest improvement to GTA O since heists. And I want to see more of them and see them activated every 5minutes instead of every 11 minutes or whatever.

It would also just be good to add static ambient challenges to Freemode... Not necessarily ones you play against other people or compete in, but things like the single player game. In hundreds of hours I've hardly ever seen a weapon drop or the "shoot down the plane" Lester/Trevor request... Maybe two of them in hundreds of hours of play.

There should be an incentive ot exploring the GTA O world... Things like collect the 30 clothes scraps and you get a unique piece of clothing, collect automotive parts to get a unique upgrade to a car that you own, etc. It's a source of grindign but it also adds some objective to being in the open world. Have Lester call you with an emergency delivery, accept it or deny it. Have ambient events happen. Have more armored cars (another thing I've seen once in hundreds of hours of online.

They're doing the right thing with freemode events, a lot of them are a ton of fun in groups and give some objective to playing, but they need ot keep adding more.

Striker

They should offer double XP and cash for a certain game type each week to funnel people into certain activities. You're right, the insane number of job types just spreads the player base too thin and effectively ruins everything.
I've seen the double RP and double cash setups before, recently I believe they were for the Adversary modes (maybe Slasher?). I do think they should be more common.

I haven't seen an armored car in like almost a year. The only downside with all these events is that while they happen so many people have no interest in participating which is disappointing. I think the rewards need to be bigger especially for the ones where you can make more money doing a mission and do it in less time than taking part in one.

Striker

The upgrade on those new Sultans and Banshees is fairly expensive. I'll wait a bit. I mean, expensive in a sense you can buy many supercars with upgrades over that pricing.

The new Adversary mode is kind of fun, it's called Drop Zone. Four teams jump out of cargobobs and land wherever to try to contest a territory.

Tigress

Im saving for one too haha.

But right now Im at 4M$ and I never encounter people to make those 4 grow with heists/missions and stuff :(

Be a vip and do sightseer a lot (25k per) and in the cool down period do missions or sell cars you can build up money pretty quickly this way while you wait to find people to play heists. I can usually get about 400-500k per vip session doing this (you are limited to 4 hours of vip with a 2 hour cool down). Hell, if you really want to play for 8 hours straight you can be a VIP on you alternate character once the VIP on you main is used up.

Be a vip and do sightseer a lot (25k per) and in the cool down period do missions or sell cars you can build up money pretty quickly this way while you wait to find people to play heists. I can usually get about 400-500k per vip session doing this (you are limited to 4 hours of vip with a 2 hour cool down). Hell, if you really want to play for 8 hours straight you can be a VIP on you alternate character once the VIP on you main is used up.

Will try! Thanks for the advice!

What system do you play on?

I play on PS4, I wouldn't hurt to add some gaffers to play with! :D

Feel free to add me. I'm going to pick this up again next week. I've been on a self imposed GTAO ban for most of Jan, forcing myself to enjoy some of my backlog.

PSN Randy_M_Green

Striker

Will try! Thanks for the advice!

I play on PS4, I wouldn't hurt to add some gaffers to play with! :D
Add me if you like. PSN is Striker2Nine

I play most mornings but on my days off I try throughout the day if I'm not busy with the lady. Just today I was playing Contact Missions to get more cash and I'm up to $3M. I wanted to play more full lobbied Drop Zone games but idiot hosts start matches with 5-6 people in there -_-

Mastah

Be My Valentine update is available.

Ca2Td1tW0AAQEcd.jpg:orig

Top Bottom