• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

FullSAroads_zpsd5227636.png

I would love an expansion like this. I loved the extra cities in GTA San Andreas, and even though SA isn't technically bigger than V, the cities sure added alot in terms of perceived scale. It's one of the few things that stops me from placing V over SA.

Really LTTP for me on this one, but felt like I had to share.

I hadn’t played any GTA since the original back in around 1997. For some reason, as I continued on gaming, the series failed to keep me engaged. The more open world it got, the less interested I became. I found games like Skyrim to be too much and just wandered aimlessly between what felt like fetch quest after fetch quest, before just giving up.

I recent times though, I’d started to get into them. I really, really enjoyed AC4 and Watch Dogs. I kept saying to myself “If I think Watch Dogs was great, what could GTA V be like then when so many think it’s much better?”
So in I went over the weekend.

All I can say is that this game is an absolute masterpiece of design and world creation. The world is so full of life and feels so much more dense and interesting than any open world game I’ve played before. On the XBone, it is absolutely beautiful too. The character models could be better, but the world itself is just amazing to look at.
In terms of stuff to do, it’s brilliant. I just know I’m going to be sinking some serious hours into this game.

Within only a few hours of picking up the game, I’d done mad campaign stuff (the yacht stuff made me really laugh out loud), ran a triathlon, played tennis, had a game of golf, took selfies after blowing up a van, got involved in some Police chases and…erm, interacted with some strippers and a lady of the night.

The audio is great too. I keep finding myself just driving around in between missions because I don’t want to leave my car. I just love listening to talk radio and the funny adverts. It’s so compelling.

It’s so good that my girlfriend, who tends to sit and read whilst I game, started just watching because she was finding the radio commentary so funny and the world looked so interesting.

The great thing about being so late to the party is that, with it having already been out for a year (on older gen), they are probably well into the development of GTA VI, so I’ll only have to wait 3 or 4 years for the next game, rather than the full 5 year wait others had to endure.

Brilliant.

shandy706

The mission back in North Yankton is really one the shittiest ever made. The
Chinese
have infinite mans and weapons when you only have a single silenced pistol and when you can't run because 20 fucking ennemies are killing you in 3 sec.

On PS360 it was already exactly like that and I remember dying before fucking getting pass that shitty mission.

Really?

I had 3 guns by the time I killed 3-4 guys. A pistol, machine gun, and a shotgun. Just picked them up as I killed them and mowed right through the rest. Got past it on my first try, and this was my first time playing the game.

Never noticed they keep coming.

RBK

Banned
Anyone have a list of the new songs for each station?

Happy to see one of my favorite Young Scooter songs on Los Santos FM.

Tainted

There's a called Don I think who wants me atop a skyscraper to start the next mission (stranger/freak) I do not know how to get up there. I'm assuming I need to find a Heli?

I can't afford one lol.

Its the maze bank tower.

What I did was switch over to Trevor, taxi him to his helipad and fly his chopper over to where you left Franklin (If you are quick, he wont have wandered too far away from where you left him)

Franklin can then take the chopper to the top of the tower and do the mission.

One of the hospital's rooftops sometimes spawns a chopper as well on the helipad....so worth checking there first (If theres none there, its a perfect place to leave ol' frankie)

shandy706

Its the maze bank tower.

What I did was switch over to Trevor, taxi him to his helipad and fly his chopper over to where you left Franklin (If you are quick, he wont have wandered too far away from where you left him)

Franklin can then take the chopper to the top of the tower and do the mission.

One of the hospital's rooftops sometimes spawns a chopper as well on the helipad....so worth checking there first (If theres none there, its a perfect place to leave ol' frankie)

...or just call in the Blimp. It's right around the corner and takes like 2 minutes to get to and fly up there ;).

shandy706

They dont. Dude is impatient. I even had time to explore after gunning them down.

Ah, ok, lol.

I honestly felt like the entire game, main story wise, was waaaaaay too easy. Probably one of the easiest main story lines I've ever played.

I very rarely failed a mission. The missions I failed the most involved flying....and that's because my tail was trying to fly under ever bridge and between buildings on my way to the objective, lol.

Had a blast the whole time though.

I overall love this game, and often I find moments where the attention to detail legit wows me. That said, since I've now effectively paid $120 for GTAV - I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with some annoying issues (PS4):

• An "Independence FM" equivalent would be really nice. I do play my own music through the PS4 MP3 player, but I would kill to go without having to manually stop the music whenever I want to hear dialogue or listen to the game's stations.
  • Texture/foliage pop-in at a noticeably close distances.
  • Traffic density is improved, but pedestrian density is still a joke. If I'm at an outdoor mall or near the clubs at night - I would like to see more people around.
  • No moving trees (yeah, I like moving trees. Go fuck yourself).

I just wanted to say a big thank you to whoever it was that posted the car duplication trick. I've made so much use of it during my playthrough it's not even funny, and it's made the game immensely more enjoyable.

You're welcome.

What trick is this?

If you take the car out and don't park it back in the garage, it should end up at the impound if you are forced to use a different car for a mission, or if you get busted or wasted.

I've just been duplicating the cars in the garage so I don't have to worry about retrieving them from the impound.

Mod a car up however you like, then park it in the character's safehouse garage, walk away until the garage closes (or in trevor's case, walk out to the street) then save on foot from your phone. Immediately after saving, load up the save and you should have one copy of the car in your garage and one outside the garage. Now you don't have to worry about retrieving them from the impound or blowing them up.

This trick still works in 1.04.

Gosh, a man can dream.

I've played a lot of San Andreas, it's one of my most played games, and while the actual landmass is supposedly smaller than GTAV, the use of sight-lines (or lack of them), console constraints, and often times illogical road patterns makes the world feel a lot larger.

There are so many small, 2-bit towns in San Andreas spread around the map, and I really miss that in GTAV Los Santos. Of course, none of the towns in GTAV are cookie-cutter like in San ANdreas, and a couple of those in SA only had one or two activities/goals in those towns (say, a hidden package or single gun + property), but I did like that the existence of those towns made it feel like more of a "state" to me as opposed to just a city with a few towns on the outside.

I'd love a world that large... but it won't happen.

There's a called Don I think who wants me atop a skyscraper to start the next mission (stranger/freak) I do not know how to get up there. I'm assuming I need to find a Heli?

I can't afford one lol.

yeah he wants you to get a chopper and meet him up there. Don't buy one, there's a few chopper spawn points around the map. Vespucci Helipad, which is in a small inlet near the airport end of Vespucci beach; the airport; the Los Santos Government Building ("NOOSE" building) out in the wilderness, etc. These areas all spawn helicopters pretty regularly. If you have Dom unlocked then you should also have the sky diving markers unlocked, so you can go to one of those, shoot the pilot, steal his chopper, and then use one of those.

It's annoying because you're used to killi and moving up when you really only get two good chances to move up. They come so spread out that you can only move up once after the first guys and then after two or three more waves of men. And you can grab an AK from the first pair of dudes that should last most of the firefight.

Spoiler question around that same point:
I could have sworn Trevor's outburst about Brad was more based on someone telling him, not just a random hunch. I know Lester was super dodgy, but the conversation in Michael's house was pretty poorly written. Just stuck out to me compared to my first playthrough.

well it's not like
Michael hadn't been incredibly suspicious about the whole Brad thing for a long time before then. Every time Brad was brought up, even a little, Mike would dodge the question or change the subject completely, hella obviously at that. I thought it was just Trevor putting 2 + 2

After playing this all the way through, I'm not sure where they could go with the series. I almost would love to see a glitzed up vice city but I think that would be it.

Raptomex

After playing this all the way through, I'm not sure where they could go with the series. I almost would love to see a glitzed up vice city but I think that would be it.
Venturas would be cool if they're still going to revisit familiar locations. But Vice City seems like the next choice if they go that route.

Danneee

I really don't like that windshield wipers don't work and that car windows don't react to rain. Really lessens the immersion when driving in pouring rain in first person.

I was amazed at how much the first person perspective added to the game, the most noticeable besides the driving is that you notice the pedestrians more as individuals instead of just human shaped things to mow down. Seeing their faces up close and watching them perform little animations is great.

It's the little details that have been added that makes the game great.

Yeah, I think it's tough to introduce a new location. There aren't a lot of other cities that would appeal as much as the Miami / New York / LA trifecta. Many northern cities are basically just "mini-New York's" with less interest, and other than Miami there aren't a lot of Southern east coast cities that have real appeal.

I think for new cities to introduce to get the GTA treatment, New Orleans and Washington DC could work, more so New Orleans. Otherwise, I think a lot of other cities are just too similar to what's been done. Hoping for a large land mass addition of a San Francisco or Las Vegas in a future add-on, but we know how far away and unlikely that is... Especially given how under utilized most of this map is.

I'm playing on 360 but I figured this would be a good thread to ask. I am about to do the final heist
Union Depository (subtle)
. Can anyone tell me how much time I should allocate from this point until the end of the game?

neshcom

Banned
I'm playing on 360 but I figured this would be a good thread to ask. I am about to do the final heist
Union Depository (subtle)
. Can anyone tell me how much time I should allocate from this point until the end of the game?
About to start doing it or just started talking about it?
If you're about to do it, I think that's basically it. There is one last non-heist mission, but I think that's after that. If they just started casing the place, you probably have a few hours.

About to start doing it or just started talking about it?
If you're about to do it, I think that's basically it. There is one last non-heist mission, but I think that's after that. If they just started casing the place, you probably have a few hours.

I've already done all the set up, we are GO. Looks like I'll have plenty of time to complete it tonight, excellent.

graffix13

Decided to "finish" it again (even though I told myself I wasn't going to bother this time around).

The submarine and nuclear parts can go get fucked though ... Not going to do those again as I did on the 360 :0

Collecting all the spaceship parts & letter scraps plus doing that damn Coyote cross country triathlon were a goddam chore though...I dont know why I put myself through it again after doing on the 360 :-/

Grats man. I platted this on the PS3 and I was intending on getting the plat for this version as well. I even did the pain in the ass things first to get them out of the way (Sub waste disposal, Knife/Under the Bridge flights, and even the 30 minute marathon) and then I just said "fuck it" and started Shadows of Mordor.

Kudos to you for doing it all again. Maybe I'll go back to it.

Marvel

could never
yeah he wants you to get a chopper and meet him up there. Don't buy one, there's a few chopper spawn points around the map. Vespucci Helipad, which is in a small inlet near the airport end of Vespucci beach; the airport; the Los Santos Government Building ("NOOSE" building) out in the wilderness, etc. These areas all spawn helicopters pretty regularly. If you have Dom unlocked then you should also have the sky diving markers unlocked, so you can go to one of those, shoot the pilot, steal his chopper, and then use one of those.

Yeah this is what I ended up doing earlier today, thanks.

Was a fun little mission too.

Tigress

Yeah, I think it's tough to introduce a new location. There aren't a lot of other cities that would appeal as much as the Miami / New York / LA trifecta. Many northern cities are basically just "mini-New York's" with less interest, and other than Miami there aren't a lot of Southern east coast cities that have real appeal.

I think for new cities to introduce to get the GTA treatment, New Orleans and Washington DC could work, more so New Orleans. Otherwise, I think a lot of other cities are just too similar to what's been done. Hoping for a large land mass addition of a San Francisco or Las Vegas in a future add-on, but we know how far away and unlikely that is... Especially given how under utilized most of this map is.

I dunno, they could do a Seattle/Portland combination (they could make fun of all us liberals. And they could still parody the far right by having the area east of the mountains ;) ). And yes I'm biased there since I live here but I do think it could be interesting. And they have Amazon, MIcrosoft, and Costco to make fun of. Atlanta I think could actually be interesting (florida is not really the same thing as the South and Atlanta is more like the big city of the South). Though I think Futurama boiled atlanta down to is stereotypes pretty well, coca cola and hartsfield airport (I say this as some one who grew up in Atlanta ;). Oh, and Turner ).

I think Washington DC would be interesting, they could totally make fun of the politics :).

Tigress

Mod a car up however you like, then park it in the character's safehouse garage, walk away until the garage closes (or in trevor's case, walk out to the street) then save on foot from your phone. Immediately after saving, load up the save and you should have one copy of the car in your garage and one outside the garage. Now you don't have to worry about retrieving them from the impound or blowing them up.

This trick still works in 1.04.

Sweet.. next question is does this only work for the garages attached to the houses or does this work for the garages you pay for (the ones that fit four cars)?

Tainted

...or just call in the Blimp. It's right around the corner and takes like 2 minutes to get to and fly up there ;).

Haha true.... I actually thought of that blimp shortly after posting. Does everyone now get the blimp though, or is that just for the returning players (albeit the Xero blimp) ?

I remember on PS360 the atomic blimp was a pre-order incentive, but did they give that one to the non returning players in NG ?

Sweet.. next question is does this only work for the garages attached to the houses or does this work for the garages you pay for (the ones that fit four cars)?

I haven't tried it with the other garages, but I imagine it only works with the personal safe-house garages. You could always retrieve a car from the bigger garage, duplicate it at your safe-house, and then drive it back to store it in the bigger garage.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can recommend anyone to get a musclecar and just race through the Vinewood hills at full speed in first person view.

Super intense stuff, straight up rally racing.

antitrop

If only GTA1 had 4 cities instead of 3, huh?

(For anyone that doesn't know, Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas were all in Grand Theft Auto 1, but most people probably never got past LC without a trainer, because the game was fucking impossibly difficult)

Arttemis

Gosh, a man can dream.

I've played a lot of San Andreas, it's one of my most played games, and while the actual landmass is supposedly smaller than GTAV, the use of sight-lines (or lack of them), console constraints, and often times illogical road patterns makes the world feel a lot larger.

There are so many small, 2-bit towns in San Andreas spread around the map, and I really miss that in GTAV Los Santos. Of course, none of the towns in GTAV are cookie-cutter like in San ANdreas, and a couple of those in SA only had one or two activities/goals in those towns (say, a hidden package or single gun + property), but I did like that the existence of those towns made it feel like more of a "state" to me as opposed to just a city with a few towns on the outside.

I'd love a world that large... but it won't happen.

Just Cause 2?

Damn, I went and did all 50 stunt jumps, and both my in game stats, the Rockstar Social Club, and the game itself (whenever I redo a jump) agree that I've completed all 50... but no trophy :(

I've tried reloading my save file to no avail. It's been a long time since I came across a trophy that didn't actually work properly (Mercenaries 2 on the PS3 was the last one). I kind of hoped we were beyond that now, especially with a big game like this.

TQOr4mA.jpg

So much promise in a map.

What would Seattle's name be in GTA lingo?

A map like that with some Seattle nature north of San Fierro and some North Yankton nature in the north east would be so dreamy !

A map like that with some Seattle nature north of San Fierro and some North Yankton nature in the north east would be so dreamy !

Everqueen? Based on the old "Queen City" nickname and its current nickname of "Emerald City."

Pagusas

Elden Member
TQOr4mA.jpg

that map would have been glorious. I always felt GTAV really missed not having Las Vegas in it, it would have fit perfectly and given a much needed push of glitz and glam.

Tainted

Alot of work was obviously put into that map....but to me, it just seems like alot more empty land mass with not alot to do in it.

As much as I loved GTAV's map, I feel alot of Blaine County was just filler and it could have been omitted for gameplay reasons. I'm sure not sure why so many are creaming their pants over this fan map

Alot of work was obviously put into that map....but to me, it just seems like alot more empty land mass with not alot to do in it.

As much as I loved GTAV's map, I feel alot of Blaine County was just filler and it could have been omitted for gameplay reasons. I'm sure not sure why so many are creaming their pants over this fan map

the same could be said for red dead redemption's map. I like it. not everything has to be busy. it adds to the realism/immersion.

TQOr4mA.jpg

This is what I dream of, I'd love to have all of this plus new missions for Trevor, Franklin, and Mike.

Especially Trevor as he was my favorite character, I still remember the opening of the game where
he fucking murders Johnny Klebits American History X style after fucking his girlfriend in the ass, in an incredibly shocking moment of unexpected violence.

This is what I dream of, I'd love to have all of this plus new missions for Trevor, Franklin, and Mike.

Especially Trevor as he was my favorite character, I still remember the opening of the game where
he fucking murders Johnny Klebits American History X style after fucking his girlfriend in the ass, in an incredibly shocking moment of unexpected violence.

That scene was definitely effective in terms of being shocking, but
I also think Johnny was portrayed as being a dumbass whereas he was smart in the GTA IV DLC. The way he turns his back to Trevor, who is known to Johnny's gang... Johnny should know to stay on his toes while fucking with a guy like that.

Zabuza

Banned
Anyone else have pretty bad pop-in on PS4? Is it like this for everyone?

I would've hoped it would be a little better on the new consoles. :/

Z..

Will my save game from the ps3 version carry over? (PS4)

I do not wish to ever play through the game again. Just want the endgame playground.

dedhead54

Does anyone know why I did not receive the returning player bonus'? I played 50+ hours of single player on 360, all while linked to my Social Club account. Got the game for PS4, started single player and got through the prologue missions, then linked my online character from last gen with no problem. Never thought to check the returning player stuff after that until today. It's not there.

bumclot

That scene was definitely effective in terms of being shocking, but
I also think Johnny was portrayed as being a dumbass whereas he was smart in the GTA IV DLC. The way he turns his back to Trevor, who is known to Johnny's gang... Johnny should know to stay on his toes while fucking with a guy like that.
I got the impression from that scene that
Johnny was over-the-hill since the events of GTA IV, either due to his blind love for Ashley or from hitting the meth pipe one time too many, maybe both.

saunderez

I got the impression from that scene that
Johnny was over-the-hill since the events of GTA IV, either due to his blind love for Ashley or from hitting the meth pipe one time too many, maybe both.

Yeah they clearly indicate that Johnny is now a meth head and has let Ashley consume his life since GTA IV.

Top Bottom