• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

So anyone else have an issue where they can't switch characters in single player. I am stuck with Michael pretty late in the game. I'm not in a mission or in one of those weird in between periods where you can't switch and I can't start any new missions either. Only thing that shows up is a mission franklin has for lester but I can't start that because I can't switch to franklin. I can't do anything else mission like either though like golf or tennis or any activities really. Restarted game, blew self up with grenade, switched to online and back, called franklin to hang out (which it did let me do) and after all of it still stuck. Apparently other folks had this issue last gen but there aren't really any fixes shown and I haven't seen any posts about it for the current gen versions. Anyone else had this issue and solved it?

So anyone else have an issue where they can't switch characters in single player. I am stuck with Michael pretty late in the game. I'm not in a mission or in one of those weird in between periods where you can't switch and I can't start any new missions either. Only thing that shows up is a mission franklin has for lester but I can't start that because I can't switch to franklin. I can't do anything else mission like either though like golf or tennis or any activities really. Restarted game, blew self up with grenade, switched to online and back, called franklin to hang out (which it did let me do) and after all of it still stuck. Apparently other folks had this issue last gen but there aren't really any fixes shown and I haven't seen any posts about it for the current gen versions. Anyone else had this issue and solved it?

I solved it by switching to online and back.

BPK

Having a heck of a time deciding between this and Far Cry. I only have time to play one because of university demands on my time.

maneil99

Having a heck of a time deciding between this and Far Cry. I only have time to play one because of university demands on my time.

I own both, go with GTA. Far Cry 4 is good but the world is dull and boring. GTA there is always something to do.

Got the Platinum trophy. Second time this year. Platted the PS3 version in February.

PFgiGj0.png

What a ride it was....again! A little shorter though, 100% plus 70 golds took me about 40-45 hrs this time. Story plus online on PS3 took me about 160 hrs in total.

High up in my GotY list this year. So what if it's a rerelease, it's still an amazing piece of work that is pretty much unrivaled in its scope.

Man I love this game, finished it again last night.

I never replayed it on last gen, so seeing all the alternate levels (heist decisions) was all brand new to me...amazing how so many people are probably never going to play all of those, each one was expertly crafted, only one that was basically the same level was the Jewel heist with minor differences.

Can't wait for that story DLC, I wonder if our time with Micheal Trevor and Frank is over or if it's just starting, I'd love them to introduce new characters amongst the familiar old crew.

Angst

I never replayed it on last gen, so seeing all the alternate levels (heist decisions) was all brand new to me...amazing how so many people are probably never going to play all of those, each one was expertly crafted, only one that was basically the same level was the Jewel heist with minor differences.

Can't wait for that story DLC, I wonder if our time with Micheal Trevor and Frank is over or if it's just starting, I'd love them to introduce new characters amongst the familiar old crew.

Same here. I'm guessing Lester and Lamar will appear. Probably some of the Grand Senora Desert crowd too (Cletus, Ron etc). I don't think we'll see the Original Trio of characters as playable characters, but most likely we'll either see part of the story from a new perspective or they'll appear as "guest stars" in the new characters story arc. Really looking forward to new single player content.

Hatchtag

Banned

I donno how they'll handle the whole
one character possibly dying
thing. My guess is by making it either a prequel or concurrent story.
Regardless, playable Lamar has to happen. It just has to. What would his special ability be?

The OST on a mission towards the very end of the game
Lamar Down
, is just on a completely different fucking level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0PylG5W54

Sogood.gif

The ambient music in this game adds a really nice atmosphere to the missions. Even when doing some of the shitty online missions, the ambient score just makes them better.
------------
Also, has anyone ever seen a prostitute get into an NPC's car? I saw it happen last night for the first time and attempted to follow to see if they would actually find a nice quiet spot to do the dirty, but I was on-foot and couldn't keep up, lol.

Rockstar have done a really good job of making the world feel alive due to little NPC interactions like that.

I've also noticed that there are tons more NPC models in this update, and I rarely see the same NPC twice.

Regardless, playable Lamar has to happen. It just has to. What would his special ability be?

I doubt they will address that at all, Option C: Deathwish is pretty obviously the intended ending.

I do hope we get more Lamar, I believe (could be wrong) both Franklin and Lamar's VO's have returned for additional voice work, I know for sure Frank has.

As for new characters...I always personally wanted to play as a undercover cop in a GTA game, it would be pretty fresh to be a "bad guy" in GTA's sense of warped morality. Maybe you're trying to take down Mike, Trevor and Frank or something, just spitballin'

The OST on a mission towards the very end of the game
Lamar Down
, is just on a completely different fucking level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0PylG5W54
it's a bit of a remix of the "Legitimate Businessman" from the official score

GTA V: The Score - A Legitimate Business Man

compare at 2:20 to about 2:35 in the video you posted

you may also like Fresh Meat which is actually the track I thought that Lamar Down one was from at first before realizing it was Legitimate Businessman instead

Damn, I went and did all 50 stunt jumps, and both my in game stats, the Rockstar Social Club, and the game itself (whenever I redo a jump) agree that I've completed all 50... but no trophy :(

I've tried reloading my save file to no avail. It's been a long time since I came across a trophy that didn't actually work properly (Mercenaries 2 on the PS3 was the last one). I kind of hoped we were beyond that now, especially with a big game like this.
To anyone who experiences a similar problem, the solution I found online was to disable internet on the PS4, and then relaunch GTA V (at which point the trophy pops during the loading screen). I have no idea why that works, but it does.

This might be a silly question, but can anyone tell me how to ride a bike in first person without "sprinting"? I can't seem to figure out how to ride at a normal pace (i.e., like when holding X while in third person), it's either riding fast or nothing. I'm using the Standard FPS control scheme.

Based on what they did in GTAIV, they may just introduce new characters that have appeared but not in any major roles. Johnny Kliebitz and Luis Lopez appeared in just a handful of scenes, and then they expanded on those roles. The memorable, personality-heavy characters from GTAIV (Brucie, Cousin, Packie, etc) stayed as just side characters. Could be something similar for GTAV DLC...

Just hoping there is GTAV DLC...

Guile

Banned
TQOr4mA.jpg

So much promise in a map.

What would Seattle's name be in GTA lingo?

A map like that with some Seattle nature north of San Fierro and some North Yankton nature in the north east would be so dreamy !
Lol!

I was wondering why GTA 5's map looked so unfamiliar.... xD

This would be the dream indeed.

Arttemis

No reason we can't have that sized map; Just Cause 2 would easily dwarf it. If this is what a native new-gen GTA is like, I'll be super hyped!

Camisado

TQOr4mA.jpg

So much promise in a map.

What would Seattle's name be in GTA lingo?

A map like that with some Seattle nature north of San Fierro and some North Yankton nature in the north east would be so dreamy !

That is so glorious.

I would easily be happy to pay Rockstar another £40 to have something like this bolted on rather than a sequel. Especially as I have to imagine they are going to try and milk this version of the engine a bit more before we move onto another huge upgrade. (Vice City and San Andreas style after GTA3)

So yeah, if someone at Rockstar is reading this thread... you know what needs to be done!

EDIT: If they 'did' do this (and I'm sure they won't) I'd ideally prefer a new set of characters to play as. I think Trevor, Michael and Franklin should probably be left as they are now tbh. Although obviously being able to change back and forth between all 6 would be great and maybe some minor cameos here and there...

SxP

If it's true that the game crashes because it can't phone home properly, then that's a pretty dumb oversight. Software development 101: Never assume network resources will be available.

Yeah, it's a pretty dumb error. MLB 14 The Show suffered from the exact same problem at launch. I also had to sign out of PSN just to play some single player.

Happened to me and I uninstalled the damn game. Tried reinstalling but of course, won't work at all. So pissed off right now.... At least I have the disk version, but I'm assuming it will have to download all the updates.

Shit.

Jtrizzy

First of all, I apologize for the negative post but...Finally getting around to this on PS4, and (as I did with PS3) I think I'm going to just wait for the PC version. I may go read the DF article, but the IQ is atrocious (as in all of Rock Star's open world games). AA is the first thing I will sacrifice with PC games usually, but it's almost unbearable during the daytime in this game.

I don't know if they used the graphical overhead from the new consoles on effects or what, but I'd rather play the same version at 1080p30 with AA than this.

Gameplay wise, I see improvement, but still get that same tank control feeling from their games I always get. I guess the Max Payne 3 influence isn't as much as I'd hoped for regarding the combat.

As unrealistic as it may be, they also need to implement an auto drive system as seen in Far Cry 4 and the Zelda Wii U demo. The game is a chore to control generally, you see it right off the bat with the boat mission, rescuing Jizzle lol

Rockstar are second to none when it comes to world building and presentation, but they fail at the most important things like smooth gameplay. The first few GTA's were amazing, because we'd never seen anything like them. That was over ten years ago, and basically everything about the way your character moves, fights, shoots a weapon has been surpassed by many other games long ago.

First of all, I apologize for the negative post but...Finally getting around to this on PS4, and (as I did with PS3) I think I'm going to just wait for the PC version. I may go read the DF article, but the IQ is atrocious (as in all of Rock Star's open world games). AA is the first thing I will sacrifice with PC games usually, but it's almost unbearable during the daytime in this game.

I don't know if they used the graphical overhead from the new consoles on effects or what, but I'd rather play the same version at 1080p30 with AA than this.

But it is 1080p 30fps with AA...

And really, you'd call the IQ for this game "atrocious"? It's no Infamous: SS in terms of IQ, sure, but it sure as hell isn't atrocious.

GAF hyperbole strikes again.

had an awesome Blitz Play... i replayed this mission like 20 times trying to get the perfect shootout

Free Aim, No HUD, No Radar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzcNmCUQKiQ

was a good run in general with some great shooting and cover but the highlights were some of the crashes...

1. shooting the driver of the very first car to send him flying out
2. a few great kill shots where the guy collapses against the wall (NOOSE in the alley against back wall or cop in the container trying to flank F)
3. great use of all 3 gas tanks...
-first one shot in slow-mo to send the NOOSE flying in to the air of the stairs
-second one I begin to shoot and then wait when I see a cop car approaching in the alley, and shoot it as it passes by to send it flying into a running cop
-third one explodes after I down the helicopter... M spins quickly because 2 cops got too close and almost kill him! but the helicopter hits the tank and it explodes, and this causes both cops to stop and look for a quick second haha this pause saved my life and I use it to finish turning and kill them both

overally one of the best shootouts i've had in this game....

hood safari is still my favorite overall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOETAx4GrZg

but i think that video of blitz play was one of the most 'perfect' acting out shootouts i've had in the game after I've beat it almost 10 times now... it even had the rare 'woah Franklin I thought you were a street racer' event at the start (happens maybe about 25% of the time)... i replayed the mission so much trying to get it perfect

Thezez

Banned
Something weird has happened to my save. Franklin no longer has any of his weapons or side missions. I had only done one towing mission, now they don't show up. I tried calling the contact, but nothing. Tried switching to online and back, didn't help.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Something weird has happened to my save. Franklin no longer has any of his weapons or side missions. I had only done one towing mission, now they don't show up. I tried calling the contact, but nothing. Tried switching to online and back, didn't help.
They could be available only during certain times. Not sure about the weapons though.

And the contact will call you most likely, not the other way around.

Tigress

For the guns being gone, did you switch to online before you noticed the guns being gone? I think it only happens when you try to go online and fail but there is a glitch that sometimes removes all your guns if you go online (as I said, I think it only affects you though if you make a failed attempt at going online).

For this reason I always save before I go online and if I go back to SP I'll either check all my characters or just reload the save.

Jtrizzy

But it is 1080p 30fps with AA...

And really, you'd call the IQ for this game "atrocious"? It's no Infamous: SS in terms of IQ, sure, but it sure as hell isn't atrocious.

GAF hyperbole strikes again.

Maybe the overall IQ isn't atrocious, but whichever AA solution they are using isn't doing shit. I see jaggies everywhere, it looks bad. I guess it's better than that garbage they used in IV on PS3, in that it doesn't blur everything, but it's not actually accomplishing much.

My point is that instead of adding graphical effects or whatever from the PS3 version, they should have used a worthy AA solution. I'm usually fine with post process AA, but in this case it just isn't good at all, considering that this is a remaster, at the same frame rate no less!

If they couldn't get 60 fps, then they should have just upped the resolution and concentrated on IQ. Instead I'm guessing they added effects or higher quality shadows etc.

Thezez

Banned
For the guns being gone, did you switch to online before you noticed the guns being gone? I think it only happens when you try to go online and fail but there is a glitch that sometimes removes all your guns if you go online (as I said, I think it only affects you though if you make a failed attempt at going online).

For this reason I always save before I go online and if I go back to SP I'll either check all my characters or just reload the save.

No, although I have had that happen before. Literally just booted up the game straight to Franklin after playing as him last night. Also noticed all of Franklins cars are gone. Good fun.

HeeHo

Speaking of things disappearing, while my dirt bike Sanchez remains in Franklin's car garage, if I try to upgrade another Bike and come back to store the newly upgraded bike, my Sanchez has all it's upgrades missing.

What is this?

Gameplay wise, I see improvement, but still get that same tank control feeling from their games I always get. I guess the Max Payne 3 influence isn't as much as I'd hoped for regarding the combat.

As unrealistic as it may be, they also need to implement an auto drive system as seen in Far Cry 4 and the Zelda Wii U demo. The game is a chore to control generally, you see it right off the bat with the boat mission, rescuing Jizzle lol

Rockstar are second to none when it comes to world building and presentation, but they fail at the most important things like smooth gameplay. The first few GTA's were amazing, because we'd never seen anything like them. That was over ten years ago, and basically everything about the way your character moves, fights, shoots a weapon has been surpassed by many other games long ago.

Tried the alt control schemes?

Definition of life imitating art.

yesterday I did the famous mission involving the FIB and victim, that ends with Trevor driving the poor guy to the airport telling him is should leave and be an advocate for how useless Torture is.

And today i am reading news coverage on the redacted torture report the CIA has produced, detailing some of what they did in the name of information gathering, and concluding their prisoners eventually made up whatever they thought the CIA wanted to hear.

Those charicatures of cruel and idiotic agents in GTA5 dont seem nearly as exaggerated as they did the first time round.

membran

Am I the only one who's a little bit disappointed that the Playboy (Richman) Mansion is rated PG now?

Apparently too many people did some things to those dancers and shared their escapades on Social Club.

Raptomex

Am I the only one who's a little bit disappointed that the Playboy (Richman) Mansion is rated PG now?

Apparently too many people did some things to those dancers and shared their escapades on Social Club.
Is that the official reason? Wtf? I was quite upset when I couldn't see the boobs.

Top Bottom