• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

You keep relying on TV and tweaks remedies...all to get the xbox look lol
do you realize thats what youre doing?.

DF comparison vids have shown countless of times that PS consoles by default dont have POP, xbox always has this authentic look more color more vibrant contrast, its a known fact already.

What you do with your gamma tweaks and whatever else, is try to hopefully match what xbox...does by default on Any television.

Are you being serious? because I can't tell.

Quick question guys: I thought the PS4 unlock was Midnight EST - by my calculation, that's still 7 and some hours away, but people are talking about a couple of hours from now. Is it different in different territories or has the NA time been moved up?

Please return to the stimulating discussion of crushed blacks :b

EDIT: never mind, I assume this is a time zone issue. Thought R* was doing a simultaneous unlock.

You keep relying on TV and tweaks remedies...all to get the xbox look lol
do you realize thats what youre doing?.

DF comparison vids have shown countless of times that PS consoles by default dont have POP, xbox always has this authentic look more color more vibrant contrast.

Sigh...you're either purposely misreading my comments and trolling me, or you're just THAT stupid.

I'm not using my TV's settings to make my PS4 version look like the X1 version, I'm changing them to make them look more desirable, and not as washed-out. If I keep my TV and console settings exactly the same on my X1 as they are on my PS4, I get black crush, whereas I don't get black crush or a washed-out image on my PS4.

You're acting like the X1 versions of games look good by default, when they don't. I've already mentioned that the first thing I did when I started playing Sunset Overdrive was change my black level was from 'low' to 'high' because of how bad the black rush was.

As I said, I have my console RGB set to 'full', my TV gamma set to 2.2, and my TV black level set to' low'. These are my default settings for when I game on my PS4. If I game on my X1, I have to change everything because of how messed up the gamma is in most X1 games.

The only reason I said it's a good thing that we can change gamma settings on our TV's is because everyone has different preferences. If you think your game is too washed-out...then change your settings. If you think your game is slightly too dark....change your settings. Making it look like the same as the "opposition's" version isn't the point, the point is to change the settings until you find a picture that you like.

Sigh...

Binabik15

Finally preordered my code via Amazon US. Now I wait until they give it to me so I can start the download AND until your backwards time zone says it's the 18th finally. Laaame. Dat 20% off compared to the German price, though.

Or I am telling you facts proved for 10 years by DF comparisons, this same issue was going on during PS3 vs 360..

Xbone has had POP, as you put it, for 10 years? Interesting.
ok_just_to_interpret_this_its_ment_to_show_that__f9694ec27e5f6d1023630d8b437bec20-28a543c2a9eee8c0d6fbfaff7ca7e224.jpg

^^^ Sweet mother of Mary, that's a nice trio of games right there!

Joeki11a has been known to do this in other threads regarding the topic. There's no winning here. He likes his POP, good for him.

Oh, he's known for doing this?

Ugh, I wish I'd known that before typing out that long-ass reply.

Joeki11a

Banned
I get it many love the dull low contrast look, you dont like to lose your beloved "details" in dark areas.

fine but stop acting like the POP look isnt appealing to other eyes, it is why you think xbox has kept it as default look?. It brings a comparison factor instantly.

Put this comparison in a giant screen display at a big store, guess what side the masses will take notice?, the xbox side instantly.

Xbox output displays the images in its own way, same with PS4, thats a difference people See. We know both consoles are different inside but they do display games differently, thats it.

Sirim

Took a peek in the review thread earlier today to see it had derailed into "Does 10/10 mean perfect" arguments.

Took a peek into this and it's all about about Xbone and pop.

Wish I was grabbing this on the One because the PS4 retail boxes are ugly as sin but alas, the best version is the best version. One of my favorite games so I don't mind grabbing it again, although I might start feeling bad when I triple dip on the PC :p

Change your TV's contrast settings. Everything will now look "colorful". You're welcome.

Still doesn't mean a dude with eyes needs to be assigned membership to some Crushed Blacks Defense Force for describing what's plain to any eye from only looking at that picture.

I mean yeesh.

Hip Hop

Has anyone tried remote play yet? How is it?

By the way, only 2 and a half hours to go for me!

I originally bought my PS Vita mainly for the remote play and this game was at the top of my list for that.

sadly sold my PS Vita a while ago but I'll pick it up sometime next year when I buy a PS4. If anyone got impressions, please share them later.

alatif113

so crushed blacks are sort of like an over exposure type of thing?

Wow, I don't know anything of these things. I wonder if my picture looks good just to my untrained peasant eye.

Here is an original PS4 vs XB1 comparison:

Opened up the image and adjusted the levels to get the PS4 portion as close to the XB1 version:

Notice the amount of detail (as shown by the red boxes) removed in order to achieve this:

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-17%20at%204.28.48%20PM.png

I get it many love the dull low contrast look, fine but stop acting like the POP look isnt appealing to other eyes, it is why you think xbox has kept its defaut look?.

Put this comparison in a giant screen display at a big store, guess what side the masses will take notice?.

Xbox on output displays the images in its own way, same with PS4, thats a difference people See, we know both consoles are different inside but they do display games differently, thats it.

Oh, no, don't get us wrong....we love the pop, we just don't love it when it's accompanied by a complete loss of detail in darker scenes/areas, like it usually is on X1 games. For example, here are a couple of my Infamous: SS shots:

Or maybe some AC4 (PS4):

Nice amount of pop, amirite? And zero crushed blacks. Just the way it's supposed to be. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Should probably have something in the OT about the social club stuff for returning players from the last gen version. And that the collectors edition stuff will transfer over

bunbun777

Pre-loaded and all ready to go. Never actually finished the ps3 version since when I figured it was coming out on ps4 didn't really have the heart to play anymore.

-griffy-

Banned
more underexposure according to that image

Doesn't really have anything to do with exposure. You can have a perfectly exposed image and then apply too aggressive of a contrast/gamma curve resulting in crushed shadows and blown out highlights.

Black crush is essentially where all the darker parts of an image, instead of only the darkest part, are "crushed" to black. Along the same lines, the brighter parts of an image, instead of only the brightest, are pushed to complete white.

This means any detail in those shadowed or bright areas simply vanishes as it is showing one single black/white color.

I don't know if this will help, but here's some examples from video editing that I'm working on right now. This is what a contrast curve looks like. The lower left is complete black, and the upper right is complete white.:
tfzrjaI.png

Now here is the RGB parade, showing the levels of red/green/blue, matched with that curve. 100 is pure white, 0 is pure black. You'll notice barely any of the image is touching 100 or 0. There is still detail in the brightest and darkest parts of the image.
DVCOLS8.png

Here is the frame matching this curve and RGB parade. We see detail in the dark parts of his suit and the white parts of his shirt.
iTYZZK9.png

Now here is what an extreme curve with crushed blacks and overblown whites might look like. You'll see the curve is clipping the black and white parts, essentially pushing the darker parts to complete black, and the brighter parts to complete white:
Pd9dXBp.png

The RGB parade demonstrates this. Whereas before barely anything was touching 0 or 100, now we can see a solid chunk all along 0, and more pushing to 100. It's smushed the darkest all the way to black, and the brightest closer to 100. All that detail and visual information we had in the lower 3rd of the parade before the aggressive contrast curve was applied is simply gone. It's not there. It's all pushed into black.
KO1Ljzx.png

Here's the frame matching the crushed curve and RGB parade. His dark suit is now just one black color blending with the dark background, and his white shirt is now almost one solid white color:
3waaCFB.png

This is why crushed blacks/whites are bad. It may look more "colorful," his face is certainly more red/orange, the background is a stronger blue, but it's simply eliminating visual detail that should be there in the brighter and darker parts of the image. Whether it's because of the game itself, the system, or improper RGB settings on the user level, you should want to avoid crushed black/whites as it is simply ruining the image. If you want a higher contrast or saturation, most TVs have settings that will let you play with those that shouldn't ruin the image in the way an improper contrast/gamma curve will.

lol, is that a beaver?

The state above California (Oregon) is the "Beaver State."

I really want the Oregon State Beavers football team to play the South Carolina Gamecocks so we can get a real life "Cocks vs. Beavers" matchup a la GTAIII.

"Beavers smell!"

The Beavers would have to establish the run early in that game. If not the Cocks might be stuffing them ALL DAY LONG!

eso76

Comparison yt video shows Xbox one has higher saturation and slightly crushed blacks. Does look a bit sharper, maybe because of the higher contrast ?

Ps4 version shows more detail in shadows, while 0 black point is the same 0.0.0 (thus absolute black, not grey or washed out).

If that was the case, you could still make the ps4 version look like xbone's by tweaking your tv/console settings to your liking, while the opposite wouldn't be possible (you can't recover shadow detail lost in crushed blacks by increasing brightness, you'll just end up with large solid grey areas)

BUT:

Comparisonscreens from the other URL are the exact opposite so its obviously just a matter of settings. Probably one console was set to output in limited HDMI range while the other was full 4.4.4 color.

Bollocks

damn first person really makes this a different game, double dip justified.

also is online working yet? I always get put in an empty lobby and during the start of a race my game stalled at the loading screen (it was a 30 player race, no bueno)

Without seeing it side by side and being told by someone else what I'm looking for, I would not be able to tell the difference. I think that means I don't have the right to complain about it; I can only play and enjoy what I have.

Without seeing it side by side and being told by someone else what I'm looking for, I would not be able to tell the difference. I think that means I don't have the right to complain about it; I can only play and enjoy what I have.

Yeah, I'm ashamed to admit that I am the same way.

Sorry for being off topic, but what game is your avatar from? I remember playing that on my shitty PC when I was younger.

Yeah, that's how most people see things. Thankfully, the comparisons will mostly stop clogging up the thread whenever there's a DF topic for people to piss on each other over.

Why does everyone who has sex with the prostitutes go on to kill them afterward? Especially creepy in first person when the third person character view no longer makes the act one of video game voyeurism and more of an experiential one.

Top Bottom