• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

terrible

Banned
Is it possible to make it so your camera view in first person mode doesn't automatically reset to the neutral position when you move? It's kind of annoying. I know in some older shooters like Perfect Dark there was an option to turn off "look ahead" or whatever they called it but I can't seem to find a way to do that in this game.

Also why does strafe turn into "turn" once you start sprinting in first person mode? That's annoying as well.

Ah, damn. This install after launching the game. I'm too impatient.

That install took like 40 minutes for me. It felt like a year lol.

Anyone else feel like the driving is a lot heavier/floatier? Seems like the character movement in general is a tiny tiny bit heavier/slower. Maybe I'm crazy.

Hystzen

Anybody know how start the Franklin animal picture taking side activity. It mentioned it unlocked for returning players wondering how trigger it

Minamu

Any news on what the day one patch does? I'm having a lot of shadow glitches (like when sneaking into the De Santa garage as Franklin) and bush pop-ins during off-road driving

Anyone else feel like the driving is a lot heavier/floatier? Seems like the character movement in general is a tiny tiny bit heavier/slower. Maybe I'm crazy.

I was under the impression the driving model was unchanged, it certainly feels different in first person (purely down to the change of view, not mechanically), but if you change back to third it feels the same as last gen.

Jb

Can't connect to GTA online on PS4. My character transfered fine, but it always times out when trying to find a session to join.

The Llama

Can't connect to GTA online on PS4. My character transfered fine, but it always times out when trying to find a session to join.

I've gotten into a few, but I also get kicked out a bunch which is pretty annoying. Still, it could be a lot worse, and I imagine things will just get better over the next few days. Only problem I've had is when I'm in the free roam mode, there's never anyone else in my game like there was on the PS3 version.

LtOrange

Save your money for an apartment with a garage and buy a car. When you buy that car, forget about superfluous aesthetics like paint jobs and rims. Buy bulletproof tires and upgrade your cars engine and such so when you do missions, getting away from the cops is a lot easier.

Also, always save a little money for weapons and ammo. You're going to need them especially if you do the survival mode.

Thanks for the input.

It's up to you to excuse the shooting or character mechanics because you enjoy so much of the rest. I don't. I don't think it's right to say this game that has an arsenal at your disposal and is used in nearly every mission you go on, or at the very least, a large majority, has never been about the shooting. It's been a big part at the very least. Still a great game with some flaws.

Yeah, I don't think anyone was saying it's an irrelevance. It is, though, true that GTA has never "been about the shooting" - it has, after all, been utter shite until GTA4 and it was pretty bad then, too. The first two games "shooting" was literally you rotating a dot and hitting a button to fire an infinite distance. Yet it constantly sells gangbusters, gets amazing reviews and everyone loves it. So I'm not sure that you can necessarily rely on an objective measure like "you use the guns a lot" to determine that it's "about the shooting" when apparently so many people are able to easily see past any defects it has - and that's if you consider it's simplicity to be a defect. I don't personally.

In short, if it really were "about the shooting", we wouldn't be on GTA5.

dreamfall

I was actually worried about the transfer. With the snow last year came billions that were spent on cars/clothes/apartment. I really loved tweaking my original design with the new editor and heading online.

MickeyPhree

I just started downloading this on ps4. Once the patch and the four gig file are done downloading, how much can I actually play while the rest downloads?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So is there no nerfing to Los Santos in Online? I know Liberty City was lame in MP compared to SP. If so, I'll use it for my sandbox mayhem fix instead of SP.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Holy hell! This install is taking forever. I might just go back to playing DAI and let the game install overnight or something.

Anyone else have the disc install take forever?

cackhyena

Yeah, I don't think anyone was saying it's an irrelevance. It is, though, true that GTA has never "been about the shooting" - it has, after all, been utter shite until GTA4 and it was pretty bad then, too. The first two games "shooting" was literally you rotating a dot and hitting a button to fire an infinite distance. Yet it constantly sells gangbusters, gets amazing reviews and everyone loves it. So I'm not sure that you can necessarily rely on an objective measure like "you use the guns a lot" to determine that it's "about the shooting" when apparently so many people are able to easily see past any defects it has - and that's if you consider it's simplicity to be a defect. I don't personally.

In short, if it really were "about the shooting", we wouldn't be on GTA5.
Yeah, it does a lot of things amazingly well. First and foremost, crafting an unparalleled, fully realized world to drop in to. I just don't think that a portion of the game that is one of the primary ways you interact with said world gets a pass because everything else is so nice. It's not as if it can't improve, or shouldn't, either. It's a large enough part that I think everyone can agree there's work to be done. It and character movement. The latter needing more love, in my opinion.

todahawk

First thing you want to do is go into heritage and set both mom and dad to a 50/50 split. Then start cycling through the mothers and fathers until you get a decent base. From there you can skew it toward one of the parents (if you want) and begin the actual fine-tuning.

But my main advice is starting with that 50/50 split in the beginning, as you get some decent combinations right off the bat, and from there you can mess with them.

They're still doing the mom/dad as a base for character creation? And just two? I thought we had three before but maybe I'm thinking Destiny.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Warren G on the classic hip hop station?
frank-mir-headphones.gif

Anyone figure out if the old Assassination stock investments still work the same?

I've played a couple hours and I think the visuals vary from good to absolutely drop dead gorgeous. It's a huge improvement for sure and the higher resolution, textures, and first person mode really allow you to appreciate the dizzying amount of detail there is everywhere in the game.

A few little snaps from the PS4 (share via usb):

Putty

I've played a couple hours and I think the visuals vary from good to absolutely drop dead gorgeous. It's a huge improvement for sure and the higher resolution, textures, and first person mode really allow you to appreciate the dizzying amount of detail there is everywhere in the game.

That middle shot is fan fooking tastic.

cackhyena

I'm seeing bare spots on the ground. Wtfuuuuuu

kuroneco

One question. Does anyone knows if the online portion, it is region specified or all friends can be played in the same server. I am asking because in PS3, the Japanese have their own server and it is separated from the rest of the world...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah I really cant play the missions in first person. It feels so bad. I'm fine just driving around and generally messing around in first person, but I don't like this disadvantage when playing missions.

So is no one else getting bad stuttering while driving? (Ps4)

I'd call it juddering of the camera motion rather than frame drops, most visible when turning left or right to bring entire new chunks of the city into view, and mine mostly went away when the PS4 finished downloading and writing to disk updates (and installing unrelated updates to games) in the background.

ymmv.

Hystzen

Looks like they removed the briefcase of money that would respawn from the plane wreck in the sea. Can only find the body armour no money now

Top Bottom