• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

Xyber

I downgraded from Gigabit fibre to 5 Mbps when I moved country :(
bajrk.png

steamgiut3.png

gogvku0s.png

Ouch, that must have sucked. :p

I really hope I never have to downgrade when I move somewhere.

Portman

Sweet, made in it the crew! Thanks Salsa! Looking forward to lots of online fun.

Beginner question here since I waited for the PC release: How does the crew and forming up into groups work? Are we able to see that the other crew members are online and they need extra players for events, heists etc or do we have to arrange games before starting them?

jamie0601

Neo Member
Just tripled dipped for this, I have no self control whatsoever.

On a separate note, I only have a 120GB SSD and I have Windows and stuff installed on it, so I've had to install it on my HDD until I can afford a new SSD. How easy is it going to be to transfer it from my my HDD to a new SSD? I'm fairly new to PC gaming so I've never had to go through anything like this!

On a separate note, I only have a 120GB SSD and I have Windows and stuff installed on it, so I've had to install it on my HDD until I can afford a new SSD. How easy is it going to be to transfer it from my my HDD to a new SSD? I'm fairly new to PC gaming so I've never had to go through anything like this!
You'll need 60GB free on your SSD. Assuming you have that, after it's unpacked and installed on your other HD, copy the GTA V directory with the files to your steamapps\common folder on C:, then in Steam delete the game. When you reinstall it, point it to the new folder you made on your C drive.

Salsa

You'll need 60GB free on your SSD. Assuming you have that, after it's unpacked and installed on your other HD, copy the GTA V directory with the files to your steamapps\common folder on C:, then in Steam delete the game. When you reinstall it, point it to the new folder you made on your C drive.

I can't quite remember but when you do this you have to make sure to also move a certain file that is left over on the steam folder that makes it so Steam knows you've moved it and where

otherwise first time you launch in another drive it has to load for a long-ass time since it checks the files

Afro

Do it m8.

Wel4kome to San Andreas!!

that...that is good.

R*, please allow us to disable the snapmatic UI. not worth making a new photo thread if all the shots are 960 pixels wide like they are on current gen.

edit: i'm down to make it tonight.

Grief.exe

Wrote up an explanation in the performance thread, it's actually very simple. Couple of things

Unpack and run the game once before moving.
The corresponding appid file can either be found in the URL of the game on Steam or using SteamDB.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=159951844

You'll need 60GB free on your SSD. Assuming you have that, after it's unpacked and installed on your other HD, copy the GTA V directory with the files to your steamappscommon folder on C:, then in Steam delete the game. When you reinstall it, point it to the new folder you made on your C drive.

I've never used this method.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I can't quite remember but when you do this you have to make sure to also move a certain file that is left over on the steam folder that makes it so Steam knows you've moved it and where

otherwise first time you launch in another drive it has to load for a long-ass time since it checks the files

Grief just answered this question in the other thread, heres the details.

If you move the corresponding .acf (I'm at work right now so forgive me if I have the wrong extension) from your steamapps folder to your steamapps folder on your SSD you will avoid the integrity check.

Simply move game folder from steamapps/common to SSD, then .acf file in steamapps to your SSD, restart Steam, run game.

Good point.

The file is: appmanifest_271590.acf

which is found in the steamaaps folder.

epmode

It definitely works for other games. I moved PIllars of Eternity to a SSD with the same procedure. Steam realizes that the files are already at the destination and it verifies them rather than redownloading everything.

garath

This method works like a champ. I did it for a few games when I installed my SSD.

Thaedolus

So how do I link the RS SC account to my Steam version? Is it an in-game login? I have my XBL and PSN usernames attached already.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, it's not ideal since reinstalling means waiting for Steam to verify 60GB of data. It's better to do this instead:

Edit: Given you quoted said instructions I assume you're in the same situation as Mart (already pre-loaded but don't have the space to unpack). If, however, you have the space to unpack the game but want it on a different drive, then do this instead:

NB: Let's assume you've pre-loaded to D:\Games\Steam2 but want to move the game to E:\Steam
1) Wait until the game has decrypted
2) Move the installation folder from D:\Games\Steam2\steamapps\common to E:\Steam\steamapps\common
3) Move the appmanifest_271590.acf file from D:\Games\Steam2\steamapps to E:\Steam\steamapps
4) Restart Steam

In doing the above you won't have to fiddle around with symbolic links, and most importantly it saves a lot of time compared to reinstalling the game as you won't have to wait for Steam to verify 60GB of data.

It definitely works for other games. I moved PIllars of Eternity to a SSD with the same procedure. Steam realizes that the files are already at the destination and it verifies them rather than redownloading everything.

The appmanifest file is what tells steam the game is in your library. For SSD storage management you can just go into the game specific folder then move all it's contents to a backup folder on whatever multi terabyte drive you have, when you feel like playing it just move the contents back.

Sent a request, name is Lulubop.

Requested an invite! Name: MaxiLive

Hey I wanna play too, invite me lol: RexGriswold

Request sent. Id is the same.

I've sent an request for the group, Social Club Name is PorcupineSkar. Thanks in advance =)

Request sent as RGSCtrace.

Request sent as SirJakoz

Could I get an invite to the group?

ID = AlpenRR
Invite sent. Accept it on the Crew page.

Top Bottom