• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

artsi

I'd like some new car models that look more realistic to their real life counterparts. I hope modders can achieve that without any official mod tools.

Vuze

What the hell is the game doing. I haven't finished the download yesterday and now Steam says it's downloading but I don't get any progress and zero bandwidth? Please don't tell me it's decrypting it because this will take forever on the notebook I currently have with me to download it at university... any way to force it to continue downloading?

Philtastic

Anyone with 280X impressions? Can't find them on the internet yet.
280X works brilliantly. If you want some help getting it working flawlessly, here's my post in the PC Performance thread where I outline what I found to truly kill performance on this card:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160040581&postcount=1370

So, how exactly do I run the benchmark for this? This is my first PC game in a long, long time. It seems to be running flawlessly, though, but I can't see the fps or anything.

i5-3570 oc'd to 4.2
gtx 970 ftw
16 gb ram

so far so good.
To run the benchmark, first beat the prologue and make sure that you're in the story mode. Next, go to your graphics settings and you'll see the button prompt to run the benchmark tool in the lower right corner (by default, it's Tab).

Also, if you're not playing with a controller, you're doing it wrong.

nah bruh

The aiming with the mouse is so far superior to a controller it's amazing.

Driving on the other hand needs a controller. Will be leaving my DS4 hooked up to the PC tomorrow for those sections.
I've tried controller and it's just worse in most ways. For aiming and looking around, this is obvious as Smokey points out: it's just far slower and less accurate. For driving, I found that, although the analogue accelerator and brake and analogue steering are nice, I much prefer being able to look around very quickly with my mouse which I've found is far more important for avoiding crashes, especially while turning, and taking in the view while zooming by. I've also gotten very good at making small turns and regulating speed by tapping my turn and acceleration keys. I haven't even gotten to shooting while driving which I can only imagine is a nightmare on controller.

KainXVIII

The thirst is real!

IfvOMne.jpg

zeioIIDX

Made a very quick and rough video in the editor to test it out.

Another Lonely Evening

Afterward, I messed around in Director Mode. I can already see I'm going to be spending a ton of time making videos! This is bringing me back to those Driv3r days lol.

Edit: I need to figure out how to get my videos to come out nice and crisp and smooth without all that compression...

Made a very quick and rough video in the editor to test it out.

Another Lonely Evening

Afterward, I messed around in Director Mode. I can already see I'm going to be spending a ton of time making videos! This is bringing me back to those Driv3r days lol.

That boobs physics :D
I'm not a huge fan of the 3 characters thing so far, I just want to play them all but can never decide
Also the balls on the dog look weird

God this game is so smooth at 1080p/60 with some decent AA. Still getting settings dialed in for a locked 60 (mostly very high settings), but I'm pleased that TXAA is way better implemented here than it was in Watch Dogs. Less screen blurring, but still pretty effective AA.

My 3GB 780ti is really feeling the pinch though. There are a few settings I'd like to crank further, but I'm already pushing close to the memory limit. There's definitely some headroom here to crank the visuals even further.

lem0n

Got my GTX 970 earning it's keep, that's for sure. Running 1440p downsampled at 60fps, mostly Very High settings, a couple things turned down. What a joy! I'm really loving Self.fm as well. Jamming to Action Bronson or The Mars Volta makes this game for me :D

23qwerty

Got my GTX 970 earning it's keep, that's for sure. Running 1440p downsampled at 60fps, mostly Very High settings, a couple things turned down. What a joy! I'm really loving Self.fm as well. Jamming to Action Bronson or The Mars Volta makes this game for me :D

How the hell are you running it at 1440@60 on a 970 with mostly Very High? No MSAA?

Skelter

Banned
This is awesome. Your wanted level/minimap flashing makes the keyboard flash. Stolen from reddit.

Someone tell me what keyboard that is!

LiquidDistantArabianhorse.gif

lem0n

How the hell are you running it at 1440@60 on a 970 with mostly Very High? No MSAA?

Yup. Im just messing with different settings and have been rolling with that setup for an hour. Its sweet but will probably tone it down to 1080p tomorrow so I can have some MSAA.

Vuze

about to give this a whirl with my oculus rift.
Aww yis, if this turns out to work decent-ish, I might hook up my DK2 again, it's been collecting dust for the past months.

E: And regarding my previous post, it is indeed decrypting the 30gigs I preloaded before continuing the download. Ugh. But whatever, probably faster than downloading the whole 60 again on capped speed.

Is anyone else having trouble loading story mode. I finished the tutorial, I think, but after the mission the screen was black for a awhile. So I quit the game, but ever since then story mode won't, doesn't, hasn't loaded for me

Skelter

Banned
Ugh backlit keyboards are so lame, typical "ultra gamer hacker" stuff ;x

Well...the backlit keys are nice for gaming in the dark. I just thought it was a neat feature. I haven't owned a Logitech keyboard in a longtime and have been looking and potential keyboards anyway.

Is anyone else having trouble loading story mode. I finished the tutorial, I think, but after the mission the screen was black for a awhile. So I quit the game, but ever since then story mode won't, doesn't, hasn't loaded for me

Try reinstalling the game
jk
What kind of "not loading" is it ? Black screen ? Something else ?

Jtrizzy

I reccomend using msaa in the city, which is where you need it the most, and turning it off in the country, especially at night, where you need it less and the performance drops.

Lagamorph

So is the benchmark tool just broken?
It was running, then suddenly gave me "Mission Failed" for leaving the crew behind, then suddenly drops me into the tutorial but it's only partially loaded so there's no radar or aiming reticule, then suddenly asks me if I'm sure I want to quit the game.

So is the benchmark tool just broken?
It was running, then suddenly gave me "Mission Failed" for leaving the crew behind, then suddenly drops me into the tutorial but it's only partially loaded so there's no radar or aiming reticule, then suddenly asks me if I'm sure I want to quit the game.

Lol yeah it's the first thing I did and it's kinda wonky, it's not just visuals, it also loads some story elements and stuff, I'm curious how they coded it
It's pretty useless I think, just play the game normally and see for yourself if it runs well

bj00rn_

Banned
That's probably true, but still pretty impressive considering Skyrim is Steamworks so everyone who bought it day 1 was on Steam vs GTA V where only copies directly bought on Steam are showing and those who went with places like GMG or Nuuvem for a better deal aren't being counted.

Yup. I usually buy 99.99% of my games for Steam. But since this time the Steam store price in Norway was 68 usd compared to 45 usd at GMG, the decision to go for GMG/RSC was easy.

its weird that you only seem to get the pre-order money with Franklin

or am I missing something

Seems to be the case for me so far.

Also I really hope we get some good trainers again like with IV. Stuff like being able to spawn hostile peds or story characters should make the machinima possibilities endless.

Denton

Great to see that. Hopefully Rockstar's next AAA project will release on PC as well but I'm not holding my breath.
With the amount of double and triple dippers I think they will always keep releasing ultimate PC versions well after inferior console ones, but they will release them.

SomTervo

Is there any way to just walk on first person mode using keyboard/mouse?

It automatically switches to running on fps mode.

Ahh, the benefits of using a joypad...

Like probably the only benefit. One of the few, at least.

Are Strangers and Freaks time dependent or random? Was about to approach one on Micheal and it blinked out of existence just as I was nearing.

Usually that means that you have to keep walking up to where the icon was. You might have to go into a building or approach someone.

It'll be a seamless transition into cutscene from you walking on-foot.

However, it could be a timed mission, thoough IIRC there are no time-set side missions in GTA V. Only a couple of campaign mission exceptions. I could be wrong, haven't completed it since original launch (though I've chipped away at it on PS4 and played online a lot).

SomTervo

this is a very good videogame

Really is, isn't it?

I did a heist online last night (PS4) with a buddy, and we had a total blast. Then I did a mission or two as Trevor and Franklin.

The inclusion of a proper stealth / cop awareness system is a game changer. Totally ups the car chase ante and makes on-foot cop chases totally viable (even if they're not very good at following you.)

We're almost there, at the ultimate incarnation of GTA gameplay. They just need to implement Chinatown Wars' drug system and perhaps slightly more depth to the wanted system, then it's done. I'd like a Gang faction system too, so you can get wanted levels with criminals as well as cops. That would be perfect and is something the series has always missed. The rest of the criminal underworld is so spectral and transient

Edit: oh and obviously they need to replace the clunky movement design and rubbish combat design. I suppose those are more important things to fix... Sometimes I dream of having Uncharted's movement system in GTA. That fast, responsive, mobile, tactile way of getting around. Christ it would be a revelation.

Top Bottom