• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

UrbanRats

It's kind of crazy how quickly and easily you can be taken out. Definitely not something I expected and makes me play much more carefully. (But I've still had multiple situations where I've wandered into a room I wasn't supposed to and then got punched twice, killing me and robbing me of yet another $5k.) It makes me less likely to experiment.
I know the feel.
As i said it's definitely my biggest gripe and what made me stop playing on 360, after i had beaten the story mode.

At least for more traditional mayhem, you have director mode now.

artsi

https://youtu.be/4XSemzmNUwE

Trainers already available in gta online, that's not cool.

Yeah this sucks. You can still cheat, but legit modding is a lot more difficult.

They should just focus on a proper anti-cheat solution on the server.
Online games like Arma are very moddable, and yes unfortunately they have cheats (which are fought by their anti-cheat) like every other game, but overall I think it's better than this crap.

Jimrpg

I left GTA V downloading overnight two nights ago. It had downloaded 2.5gb and said that I had 7 days left. Leaving work now so looking forward to seeing how much I've downloaded shortly... (please surprise me and tell me its ready!)

SomTervo

The only damn mod i want is one to have more health (like, 5 times more health).
It's basically what made put the game down on 360.

Missions are intentionally easier, so there's never a serious challenge there, yet in free exploration, a sneeze kills you, which makes going around searching for stuff and messing around a pain in the ass.
GTA isn't supposed to be ArmA, ffs.

I think this is possibly the ultimate problem at the heart of the game's combat.

The combat mechanics aren't amazing - though clearly on PC this is easily forgiven - and the combat encounters are all pretty shit.

But the nail in the coffin is that you get so little health. Like, go play Just Cause or Prototype, and you'll notice that what makes those games so fun is that it takes a little while for your health to fall to nothing, but you always have plenty of time and opportunities to get it back up.

In GTA, especially if an NPC headshots you by sheer luck, you die superfast. It's not fun and it's very badly balanced.

Frankly, I'd even prefer RDR's full health regen. I think in open world sandbox games health regen is the perfect system, because you have so little control over enemy positions and strategies. The thing you do usually have control over – getting yourself into a safe position for a breather – could act as your medkit. Rather than just sprinting around to find one and picking it up (why can't we carry medkits?!) Lots of health + regen would help the system so much.

The ability to carry around more body armour in GTA Online helps a lot.

Still a great game.

I don't know if I'm doing this wrong, but I've been trying to map the touchpad to certain keys in the game using inputmapper and nothing seems to work. I've turned off the "use touchpad as a mouse" option and tried inputting various macros, but none of it seems to stick. I'd quite like to emulate the functionality of the PS4 version of the game. Swiping to change stations/guns etc. Anyone had any success doing this with inputmapper or another program?

UrbanRats

I think this is possibly the ultimate problem at the heart of the game's combat.

The combat mechanics aren't amazing - though clearly on PC this is easily forgiven - and the combat encounters are all pretty shit.

But the nail in the coffin is that you get so little health. Like, go play Just Cause or Prototype, and you'll notice that what makes those games so fun is that it takes a little while for your health to fall to nothing, but you always have plenty of time and opportunities to get it back up.

In GTA, especially if an NPC headshots you by sheer luck, you die superfast. It's not fun and it's very badly balanced.

Frankly, I'd even prefer RDR's full health regen. I think in open world sandbox games health regen is the perfect system, because you have so little control over enemy positions and strategies. The thing you do usually have control over – getting yourself into a safe position for a breather – could act as your medkit. Rather than just sprinting around to find one and picking it up (why can't we carry medkits?!) Lots of health + regen would help the system so much.

The ability to carry around more body armour in GTA Online helps a lot.

Still a great game.
Yup, doesn't help that falling off a little cliff can also mean instant death (aesplecially if you get locked into an euphoria cycle, sliding down a mountain).
Same for bike/car accidents, you can be dead real fast.

This makes exploring uncharted places a chore.

Meh that sucks, downside of PC gaming. I hope until I jump into GTA Online Rockstar has a cheat detection and puts cheaters together, split apart from the legitimate players. I think I heard they did this for the console versions atleast.

Might as well perm ban them from GTA online

megateto

I've been trying to d/l the game since yesterday. And NOTHING, I log in and then I'm stuck in the loading screen. I check my system administrator and no networking activity at all from anything GTA or Rockstar related. Pffffffffff.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Does Steam offer refunds? I read there is a self-refund tool but can't find it.

Been looking forward to this game for such a long time and build a "high end" PC to play it but it runs very bad for me.

Does Steam offer refunds? I read there is a self-refund tool but can't find it.

Been looking forward to this game for such a long time and build a "high end" PC to play it but it runs very bad for me.

For PC gaming it is often necessary to tweak the game settings to get better performance. You can't expect to buy a good PC and turn everything on max. There are several options in the game which increase CPU/GPU load dramatically like msaa/ shadows / grass / drawing distance. The exact names can be found in the PC performance thread. If you tweak them the right way you can surely get 1080p / 60fps. Also future drivers could increase performance. I also have a R9 290 4GB. And while I don't have the game yet, I am 100% sure that I will run the game with 1080p / 60fps, because I will just tweak the settings until it runs that way.

artsi

Might as well perm ban them from GTA online

I don't know, in some cases shadowbanning might be more efficient I guess? They want to play with cheats, so let them but without harassing legitimate players. If you just ban them they'll get back one way or another to ruin everyone's game.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Gemüsepizza;160200331 said:
For PC gaming it is often necessary to tweak the game settings to get better performance. You can't expect to buy a good PC and turn everything on max. There are several options in the game which increase CPU/GPU load dramatically like msaa/ shadows / grass / drawing distance. The exact names can be found in the PC performance thread. If you tweak them the right way you can surely get 1080p / 60fps. Also future drivers could increase performance. I also have a R9 290 4GB. And while I don't have the game right now, I am 100% sure that I will run the game with 1080p / 60fps, because I will just tweak the settings until it runs that way.

i've spent hours playing about with settings. i did manage to get 1080p 60fps but there is a lot of texture/model loading issues. i was driving and crashed into an object before it loaded. i have a 7200rpm hd. despite having grass at high (medium) and MSAA off my frame rates take a heavy hit near grass. just now i got on the highway and the game become totally unplayable. it went from 60fps to 25-30fps and there was a lot of stuttering. it feels like when i click/press on my kb/m there is a delay until the game registers it.

everything is set to high except for texture/shading at very high. i've updated to the latest amd drivers that were just released. i think i'm gonna just need to uninstall the game and hope that patches/drivers improve it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey, guys. I don't know if this has already been posted, but even if it has, I guess a refresher is always welcome.

For those of you, like me, who are suffering from the "59 Hz bug", a fine guy at Reddit came up with a solution that worked flawlessly for me. It's worth a try, at least!

Hi all,
As some of you might have seen in graphics options you can only select 59hz in the graphics menu despite having a 60hz monitor. For some that might be fine but for me if I have vsync enabled I find my game stutters, something about it doesn't play nice.
I think it's to do with the hertz actually being 59.94hz rather than a total 60 so it rounds down.
Anyway, I found using Custom Resolution. Tool I can set the refresh rate to exactly 60hz and it really smooths out the gameplay for me.
So if you go here: (general usage guide included)
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
And download it. Open up the program and basically add the same resolution you already have and in the refresh rate enter exactly 60hz. Follow the steps in the link depending if you're Nvidia or Amd(not sure it makes a huge amount of difference)
When you open the game you should have a 60hz option rather than 59hz.
If you have stutter its really worth doing, it might help.

Also! Remember to set your GPUs to display the FULL HDMI dynamic range if you haven't already: NVIDIA Control Panel > Video > Adjust Video Color Settings > Check "With NVIDIA settings" > Set "Full (0-255)". By default, NVIDIA drivers have it set to Limited (16-235), which washes out the color, especially black tones.

orava

Meh that sucks, downside of PC gaming. I hope until I jump into GTA Online Rockstar has a cheat detection and puts cheaters together, split apart from the legitimate players. I think I heard they did this for the console versions atleast.

It's a blessing and a curse. There should be some protection for those who want to play vanilla but also have option for mods and hacks. In IV, my friends and I used trainers many times in multiplayer and probably had most fun that way. Private games only of course.

Tattooth

I am sure this has been brought up before, but it turns out that I have an old Social Club account linked to my Steam. This was also a problem with Max Payne 3 but it didn't really bother me. Has anyone had any luck contacting Rockstar and unlinking a Social Club account from Steam?
I have already sent a request through with Steam invoices and activation codes etc. but I would give me some peace of mind to know if it has been done successfully.

I'll be joining you guys in 10 hours.

jHHj2LE.jpg

Vuze

It's a blessing and a curse. There should be some protection for those who want to play vanilla but also have option for mods and hacks. In IV, my friends and I used trainers many times in multiplayer and probably had most fun that way. Private games only of course.
Yeah, I agree. I'm afraid of trying the FoV hack and VorpX VR injector right now since I'm not sure how they are handling bans. Offline should be fine but I'll eventually forget to remove the modded DLL (in case of the FoV mod) and who knows what's happening then when I connect online. I think I'll give the whole modding scene some time and enjoy the vanilla game for now haha.

Pand

Anyone else having problems with Self Radio? When I add a few folders it works fine, but after more than 20 or so it keeps loading then does nothing.

megateto

I've tried everything on their troubleshooting page and nothing: I still haven't been able to download a single byte. I'll leave a ticket to see if they can do something about it.

Will M

any way yet to turn off cops in sp ?

I haven't tried it myself but LinGon has released a trainer that claims to remove wanted levels. I would personally stay clear of cheats unless you know for sure that single player mode won't get you flagged by Rockstar.

Use at your own risk!

BibiMaghoo

So GTA Gaf, you went and broke not just Steam, but the IGN GTA interactive map.

All our internet are broken.

Edit: No, my Steam is back.

Tweedy

I preordered but don't see my extra cash. I'm on the Franklin and Lamar mission and only have $300.

When installing I got a Social club page that asked for the Activation code that steam prompts you with when you first launch (not sure how you do it if you got a RSC key though)

i've spent hours playing about with settings. i did manage to get 1080p 60fps but there is a lot of texture/model loading issues. i was driving and crashed into an object before it loaded. i have a 7200rpm hd. despite having grass at high (medium) and MSAA off my frame rates take a heavy hit near grass. just now i got on the highway and the game become totally unplayable. it went from 60fps to 25-30fps and there was a lot of stuttering. it feels like when i click/press on my kb/m there is a delay until the game registers it.

everything is set to high except for texture/shading at very high. i've updated to the latest amd drivers that were just released. i think i'm gonna just need to uninstall the game and hope that patches/drivers improve it.

I don't understand what is going on with your rig. You shouldn't be experience performance that poor. With a 290 I don't think you should have to put anything on Medium.

Could you list out all of your current settings? Want to make sure you don't have something cranked that is a performance hog.

Assuming you are not running an OC on your CPU, but if you are disable it because it sounds like you're having system stability issues.

Do you monitor your temps? (CPU, GPU, etc)? If not, download a program (MSI Afterburner is good) to monitor in game and see if anything is getting crazy hot. I want to make sure your 290 is not thermal throttling (unlikely since AMD chips generally run very hot and are okay with it).

Are you at 1080p? If you are running a higher resolution it will drain performance.

Check your AMD control panel and make sure you don't have any sort of global forced settings, like forced msaa or something.

I wouldn't return the game though. Its early days, patches will most definitely come. The most demanding PC games usually need a bit of ironing out with performance patches once the general public get a hold of it and reports issues. FC4 is a recent example, it runs like a dream now but was wacky at launch. GTA 5 is a great game, and you have a decent system, I wouldn't give up on it.

Post your settings and I'll check them out.

realcZk

I'm rocking a gtx 780 on the latest nvidia drivers but I seem to get some stuttering and fps drops when I enable MSAA or TXAA. Anyone else? RIght now I'm just sticking to FSAA.

I've also noticed that upon disabling vsync the menus get really laggy or have locked up briefly. I think it's because the FPS climbs really high in the menus. The game performs fine, though.

oneils

seeing a lot of posts about certain programs needing to be uninstalled to run this game so I tried a clean boot (disabled all services except for steam client service and microsoft services). Didn't work. Ran windows in safe mode with networking and that did not work either. GTA V launcher just stops working. derp. sniff.

I do notice that I have only two executables: GTA5.exe and GTAVLauncher.exe

I don't have a PlayGTAV.exe file

I wonder if there is a way to repair the install to force some of these files to redownload? I have the steam version. No reply to my support ticket yet.

Tweedy

I see it checked in my DLC on the Steam page. I don't remember confirming anything about it when I logged in the first time.

Mind you, I haven't seen it in Single Player, I've only seen my cash in GTA Online.

You may have to visit an ATM or check the bank website on the Phone and see if its there?

Herne

The detail in this game, holy shit.

I saw Franklin talking on his cell phone and if you look close enough the phone's light is an actual in-game light source, AND bounces off his cheek when he puts the phone to his ear. How the hell does R* even have time to put in this shit?

Oh, they had plenty of time.

Ogni-XR21

Does anyone know (sorry if this has been asked before) how to change the game language? I already tried changing the language in Steam, but that didn't do the trick.

garath

Well after all the day 1 tweaking, I finally got to PLAY the game last night lol. It didn't really hit me until Franklin and Michael got together to (really early mission spoiler?)
save Michael's son
. The whole interaction before the mission and the way it played out just grabbed me and made me want to play more. I wasn't sold on the three character approach initially but it's turning out pretty damn cool.

I'm trying to stay focused on story this time around though. I never finished IV. Always got too sidetracked and got bored before finishing main story.

Top Bottom