• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

Two days later... still downloading (using the Social Club installer)... admittedly I've not been doing it the whole time, but this is getting frustrating. The problem is, I have to watch it the whole time to pause and restart when it drops below the high data rate, which for me appears to be around 4MB/s. If I leave it alone, I'll come back and it'll have dropped to 50KB/s.

But I have a bigger problem... the installer appears to eat ALL my RAM until my PC grinds to a halt. I have 8GB RAM, and if I manage to download 6-7GB-worth of GTAV data, the PC starts to slow to the point where it takes 5 minutes to bring up the start menu. Last night, even Task Manager claimed to have no location, and the PC was so unresponsive I couldn't even shut it down, so I had to force the power off.

You'd think that if you close the installer, the downloaded data would go to the hard drive and the RAM would clear itself, but no... the RAM remains full and I can't find any process to kill - the only solution is to restart. So I'm having to download it in about 5GB chunks, restarting the PC each time. Anyone else had this problem?

Panzon

I got up to the Trevor part last night and
killed the bike gang
. Holy shit what a character this guy is. His re introduction had me laughing hard.

So glad I skipped this til now. The reward has been more than worth it so far. Wanna play online but the SP is just too good and I can't stop playing

Mohonky

Good god GTA Online is slow, it takes ages to do anything, then you have to sit in a lobby and wait for the round to start. Its very annoying after how immediate the single player is.

Just did the second part of the prison break heist setup as leader, now the game is stuck loading afterwards. If I kill the process and restart, will I have to restart the heist entirely?

Gaz_RB

Good god GTA Online is slow, it takes ages to do anything, then you have to sit in a lobby and wait for the round to start. Its very annoying after how immediate the single player is.

Yeah. That's my biggest problem with GTAO. There are so many barriers between you and the actual gameplay.

Mohonky

Yeah. That's my biggest problem with GTAO. There are so many barriers between you and the actual gameplay.

Yeh everything about it is so slow, more waiting than actual game time.

Is there any point to doing online for the single player?

It's a shame you can't create multiple radio stations. Rather than lumping everything together, I'd prefer to put together genre based playlists across 2 or 3 stations.

Vintage

Is it possible to share money between characters?
I was supposed to get 1,300,000$ for pre-order, but now Franklin has 500k, Michael - none. Will I get the rest of the money later?

smuf

Loving the PC version, my only gripe so far is the loading time at the start, even with an SSD (takes me about a minute and a half to get into gameplay including the social club launcher)

LilJoka

Ive used a .bat file like this
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTAVLauncher.exe"

And changed my old shortcut for GTA V in steam to point to the .bat file.
Now GTA V can be launched from Steam + BPM with the RSC version.

The overlay doesnt work though =(

Its got to be something to do with the Launcher window still active behind the game.

Had a err_gfx_d3d_init error happen the first time I died last night. Updated my nVidia profiles and used their GTAV profile, never happened again. Gonna tinker with some graphics settings tonight now that I've gotten past the intro mission. Game is running like butter!

I was supposed to get 1,300,000$ for pre-order, but now Franklin has 500k, Michael - none. Will I get the rest of the money later?
Yeah, I don't understand this either. Is the rest of the money for online only, or what's going on?

zeox

500k for singleplayer (franklin gets everything for some reason) and the rest is for multiplayer

Is anybody else's screen cut in the bottom ? I'm talking like maybe 2 to 4 pixels that just aren't there. It really stands out during dialog, most subtitles are cut (for example "g" and "y" will be cut in the bottom). It's really weird. Running the game at 1920*1080.

Is anybody else's screen cut in the bottom ? I'm talking like maybe 2 to 4 pixels that just aren't there. It really stands out during dialog, most subtitles are cut (for example "g" and "y" will be cut in the bottom). It's really weird. Running the game at 1920*1080.

Make the safe zone smaller. It's in Display settings or something.

I still can't believe there is no walking speed in first person.

The whole point of playing this first person is for the immersion, yet I'm running running around constantly, trying to follow Lamar around and running behind him, stopping, running, stopping, etc. Why can't I just walk?

Effect

Question. Hunting in the wilderness areas. Is that mission based or something you can just do whenever you want? Is it repeatable if it's mission based or something that eventually runs out?

Just trying to figure out all the various things one could do that doesn't require one to go on a murderous rampage through the city. That's fun once in a while in a game like this but not something I'd want to do often if I just want to get into the game and mess around.

Really interested in things that aren't city based. Anyone have a listing of those things in the game? Or know of a list?

Jawmuncher

So I had to disable my graphics card to get the download going. Once that's all done and I enable my card game will work fine right?

Portman

https://youtu.be/4XSemzmNUwE

Trainers already available in gta online, that's not cool.

Great, I was dreading this happening but figured it would eventually. Hopefully Rockstar will be able to separate them from the main playerbase and if not I guess it will be a good reason to play with friends. I can remember getting into some random games on GTA IV when people were using stuff like this and while it was funny for a few minutes it took all of the fun out of the game.

I don't see a request so if you go to the crew page and put one in let us know and we'll get you added.

yo Salsa I want to join the GAF PC crew already sent a petition pls respond

Denx I don't see a pending request. Maybe you got added already or if not resend it and I will check. Is your name on the Social Club the same as here on GAF?

Do we have a crew for the PC version? If so, where would I request entry?

Yep we have a crew. Head here and request an invite then let us know and we'll get you added.

*Stealth Edit!*

The link for the crew is above. Send a request and then let us know and we'll get you added.

I got my retail copy picked up last night and made it home at 8pm. Started the installation and 2 hours later it was done and then the patches started. I was tired and wanted to go to bed but since they were actually moving faster than my normal download speed I didn't want to jinx anything so I let them finished. Then of course I had to "test" the game out :)

2 hours after that (12am) I had a good test and some fun and have enjoyed what I played. The PC controls are great (I had grips with the console controls since I was used to the PC for GTA games) and it looks and runs great so far. The funny thing is that I noticed that my second video card was putting out cool air and then I realized it wasn't being used. I'm still new to SLI so when I updated the driver I didn't know to go toggle SLI again which makes me think that I will be able to get some more performance out of it.

I'm going to play the singleplayer for a day or two and then I will jump into the online mode. If anyone wants to plan for some upcoming events I'd be interested.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone know if there's a way to edit your transfered GTA online character again? I must have changed something without realising and now my character is all messed up and I can't change his facial features again :(

artsi

I still can't believe there is no walking speed in first person.

The whole point of playing this first person is for the immersion, yet I'm running running around constantly, trying to follow Lamar around and running behind him, stopping, running, stopping, etc. Why can't I just walk?

I guess they designed it for gamepad first, and forgot about keyboard users. Maybe they'll fix it with a patch.

Isn't running in FPS view also faster ?
I couldn't win the race against the crazy cardio girl in the park in TPS, but then I switched to FPS and ran at "normal speed" then used sprint in the end to beat her.

Feels like in TPS it's either walk or run/sprint, but in FPS it's run or sprint, it's weird

Well after all the day 1 tweaking, I finally got to PLAY the game last night lol. It didn't really hit me until Franklin and Michael got together to (really early mission spoiler?)
save Michael's son
. The whole interaction before the mission and the way it played out just grabbed me and made me want to play more. I wasn't sold on the three character approach initially but it's turning out pretty damn cool.

I'm trying to stay focused on story this time around though. I never finished IV. Always got too sidetracked and got bored before finishing main story.

Oh, just wait until Trevor gets involved...

lol

But yea, the Three-Storyline design of GTA5 is magnificent. I hope they keep doing this for future Rockstar games. It's so much more interesting following the lives of multiple protagonists instead of just one.

GTA4 would have been a lot better if it wasn't all just Niko Bellic's story.

According to ENB Borris, this game is not modifiable at all.

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3750&p=61253#p61253

I was wrong. Rockstar did everything to prevent modding of GTA5, so at this moment impossible to do anything via editing game files. All my buddies modders share the same opinion, that GTA is short living like any other game whithout mods, so i do not care about modding it unless:
1) modding will be possible by changes in future patches or when drm and encryption will be hacked.
2) when game will have stable patch which works for every player.
3) i don't see much potency to modify the game, just a few minor changes without "wow" effects, just make it possible to tweak everything is definetly not for first day players, so better give it some time and see, perhaps game will be dead very soon (see p1).

Denton

Isn't running in FPS view also faster ?
I couldn't win the race against the crazy cardio girl in the park in TPS, but then I switched to FPS and ran at "normal speed" then used sprint in the end to beat her.

Feels like in TPS it's either walk or run/sprint, but in FPS it's run or sprint, it's weird

Yeah in FPV the controls for sprinting are different, you do not have to press repeatedly, just hold it. That said I was able to beat her in third person, it was just a matter of saving stamina for the latest stretch.

You forgot the most unsettling of all:
4) at this moment i have so many problems, that first question is for me how not finish in suicide.

That's not unsettling if you know him. Likely just his way of saying "this game is so frustrating to try and mod that I'd rather just kill myself than try." He's always overdramatic, and his English isn't exactly perfect.

You heard it here folks, he can't mod GTA V, so the game was sent out to die. If we could all install it by the end of the week, that would be awesome.

That's actually how he thinks, yes :p

phyrlord

First time GTA V player here. I absolutely LOVED Max Payne 3, so I had high hopes for the story in this. One of the main reason I bought my 980 GTX.

Man this game was worth the 1.5 year wait. The story is absolutely awesome, it feels so polished.

Thank you R*. I hope the sales of this game on PC helps you bring more games to the PC.

I'm not dead, I'm just skillfully levitating myself slightly above ground with the power of my mind.

latest

Effect

Going have to get this via steam or amazon.com in the end tonight. GMG just won't accept my card information either directly or via paypal. Called up my support on my card and things are fine on that end. The lower prices were fun while they lasted. Tired of going through this trouble just to save $13.

Shari

That's not unsettling if you know him. Likely just his way of saying "this game is so frustrating to try and mod that I'd rather just kill myself than try." He's always overdramatic, and his English isn't exactly perfect.

He stated his paypal account has been blocked (again), so as you say just a little drama, but not over gta v being moddable or not.

realcZk

Top of page reminder if anyone's interested: we used this with a few people last night to do some heist missions and it worked well. I'll be looking for some groups this weekend to run some heists :)

I setup a mumble server for PC GAF GTAV clan if anyone is interested in using it. There's four heist group channels and can add more as needed, hopefully it makes it easier to find heist groups and to talk strategy if you don't want to use the in-game voice chat. If there needs to be more channels, you should have permissions to create them. Feel free to talk about anything you want in the root channel, go wild.

Address: pcgaf.com (104.131.112.225)
Port: 64738 (default)
Password: (quote post to see)

oh man driving them bikes at full whack in first person completely fucking rules. fps remains smooth and so much detail. ive never seen any game this detailed before and of course free camera so you can look around. i WILL spend hours just cruising the city. PC version is the definitive version. FACT

Not to mention the perfect sense of speed and great controls. There are so many long roads in the game that you can just ball the fuck out, full speed. It's better than most racing games I've played.

Top Bottom