• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

People play with controllers on PC. I think when aim-assist is off for Mouse users, it's off for controller uses as well. Good luck hitting anything without aim assist on a controller.

Wasn't having much issue aiming with my controller (at least in PVE). I just don't get why they continue to design GTA around a shitty auto-aim mechanic. Enemies are ridiculously accurate and lethal specifically because you potentially have the ability to just press two buttons and kill.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is the online community still split between different aim modes? Might explain why I seem to have trouble with matchmaking. Rockstar and their fucking idiotic decisions to put auto-aim in a multiplayer mode. Made the exact same mistake with Max Payne 3.

Considering GTA Online is instanced and those instances are smaller than either subset of control type it doesn't split the community at all except where the gamers choose to be split up(by turning on aim assist). Everybody gets what they want including the people who want to complain about stuff they don't understand.

It isn't why you have trouble with matchmaking.

MayMay

Banned
Can you join a random online game? And do you have the Rockstar social club opened up in a browser anywhere?

Yeah, online works just fine. And if I invite my friends to my lobby it works too - they just never see me online and cant invite me which is problematic in some cases. Dont have social club open anywhere.

People play with controllers on PC. I think when aim-assist is off for Mouse users, it's off for controller uses as well. Good luck hitting anything without aim assist on a controller.
Wuuut, did well enough on PS3.

I might be wrong, but i think when you play auto aim or aim assist, it is NOT on for kb+m, I vaguely remember a warning message when i scrolled through the aim modes saying mouse users might be at a disadvantage against controller users with assisted turned on.

anyway, there is no shortage of people playing free aim lobbies, if there is such a divide, i think it would be barely noticeable.

Kabouter

It's a challenge, but I'm still having fun online with free aim with a controller (though I don't play the versus stuff, that's just suicide against mouse users)

Oh yeah. Having a $7000 bounty on you and seeing a jet icon coming at you on the mini map and thinking "how come that jet is going so slow" and then realizing it is a Hydra: probably the most terrified i've ever been playing GTAO.

slowly saving up the 3mil to get that beauty, i'm pumped to even fly it after flying the Lazer in first person today with all its fancy new HUD stuff.

Kabouter

Oh yeah. Having a $7000 bounty on you and seeing a jet icon coming at you on the mini map and thinking "how come that jet is going so slow" and then realizing it is a Hydra: probably the most terrified i've ever been playing GTAO.

slowly saving up the 3mil to get that beauty, i'm pumped to even fly it after flying the Lazer in first person today with all its fancy new HUD stuff.

What was fun in GTAO today was getting into a shootout with bikers and suddenly a jet crashing right on top of them.

Considering GTA Online is instanced and those instances are smaller than either subset of control type it doesn't split the community at all except where the gamers choose to be split up(by turning on aim assist). Everybody gets what they want including the people who want to complain about stuff they don't understand.

It isn't why you have trouble with matchmaking.

Funny coming from you. It does cause trouble with matchmaking, because people won't want to join games that change their preferred aiming style.

antitrop

now that im done with Sins of the First Scholar I kinda wanna get this. but the only GTA ive ever really loved and finished was 3 (I tried to play 4 like 5 times over the years and it never clicked)

I actually know little about gta5, I didnt follow it on last gen, I assume its good at least. Is it "good" good, or review good? Because, well, GTA4...

It's good good. Trust me, I'm not a video game reviewer.

Getting some pretty bad lag Online, where some people warp all over the place.
Good thing I always played free aim on consoles ;)

Sarcasm

Anybody own Alta ST Apt 57? I am apartment shopping on youtube...lol.

I ask cause the view is okay (high up) but its in the middle and has practically every shop around it. Even picking up your cars after blowing up is a walk away.

Philtastic

now that im done with Sins of the First Scholar I kinda wanna get this. but the only GTA ive ever really loved and finished was 3 (I tried to play 4 like 5 times over the years and it never clicked)

I actually know little about gta5, I didnt follow it on last gen, I assume its good at least. Is it "good" good, or review good? Because, well, GTA4...

I loved the entire 3 series and hated most of 4 (it just took way too long to really get going and then finished too quickly). GTA V is more like San Andreas which is an evolution of 3. I would say that you would probably like it and that it's "ridiculously amazingly good". I have apparently played 24 hours in 5 days, admittedly a chunk of that (~6 hours) spent tweaking and benching/testing settings because I enjoy doing that.

Is it possible to utilize other's save games with this? Curious if Social Club will interfere with that in any way. I just wanna tear around with everything unlocked, too lazy to complete the campaign a third go around. Hoping to find a generous gaffer willing to share a close to complete sp campaign save file with most items unlocked ;)

You can. There's a thread on the GTA forums for file sharing. A story complete file has just been added to the thread. No 100% file yet though.

Etnos

Banned
Watching Lirik play GTAV on twitch, remains me of Jimmy de Santa... it is like some sort of millenial parody-ception, or I don't know

maybe I'm just old

What was fun in GTAO today was getting into a shootout with bikers and suddenly a jet crashing right on top of them.
people are far too happy to kamikaze lol, there's gotta be at least one guy per session that decides to use his plane as a weapon

i have a 4 man team for heists and we're going to begin tomorrow, is there anything i need to know for the 'complete all heists in order' bonus? Is it hard to accidentally do them in the wrong order?

I don't want to spoiler myself and look up details and names of each to make sure we do them correctly, I am guessing R* made it so you have to go out of your way to do them out of order, but I am hoping people here can tell me without me having to look up some heists completion guide.

Post patch it's constantly crashing. I think I'm done with this game.

Are you by any chance killing the launcher process? Seemed to crash at some point or another if I did that.

The buggy alt-tabbing is pissing me off though. It'll sometimes switch to 59Hz from 60, forcing you to go and change it back.

Sarcasm

People use this batch file that was mentioned earlier.

start steam://rungameid/271590
timeout 60
wmic process where name="GTA5.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"
wmic process where name="gtavlauncher.exe" CALL setpriority "idle"
wmic process where name="subprocess.exe" CALL setpriority "idle"

Fantasmo

Are you by any chance killing the launcher process? Seemed to crash at some point another if I did that.

The buggy alt-tabbing is pissing me off though. It'll sometimes switch to 59hz from 60, forcing you to go and change it back.
Intentionally no. I noticed one time it was off. The other times it told me the game crashed and suggested safe mode.

I don't over clock and besides sometimes it runs 5 minutes another time 20 minutes and so on.

Hip Hop

Wuuut, did well enough on PS3.

I might be wrong, but i think when you play auto aim or aim assist, it is NOT on for kb+m, I vaguely remember a warning message when i scrolled through the aim modes saying mouse users might be at a disadvantage against controller users with assisted turned on.

anyway, there is no shortage of people playing free aim lobbies, if there is such a divide, i think it would be barely noticeable.

Since "Free Aim" is on by default, I would say the majority of players are in those lobbies, that's my reason for using that scheme even though I am at a disadvantage with a controller.

Not a big problem with aiming tbh. Yeah, it could be better, but it's manageable for me.

Invis

What are you guys doing for money online? I got almost 2.6m on my character right now but I forgot what I did forever ago on the PS3 version and I'm more than likely going to spurge all this away at some point on cars.

JJDubz

Watching Lirik play GTAV on twitch, remains me of Jimmy de Santa... it is like some sort of millenial parody-ception, or I don't know

maybe I'm just old

Lirik uses 'retard' every other word. He is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to twitch.

Hawkmosis

Banned
Weird question for the GAF!
Can I use my install files from my physical PC edition and give them to my friend and he can use the GTA 5 rockstar social club code from a Steam purchase and have everything work?

We have wicked bad/expensive internet and we wanted to play tonight........

Are stranger encounters repeatable if you fail them? I tried a racing mission with Franklin and chose the nearest muscle car with the worst handling, and now I can't seem to pick it back up. Though I did bump into the guy later and he made fun of me for it.

Arsenic13

Ugh, can't play with friends for the past two days. I keep getting disconnected. Opened the GTA Online and Steam ports to no avail. This didn't happen until yesterday.

Game became non-responsive while I was previewing a clip in the editor, eventually it properly crashed. Rockstar Social Club for some reason logs you out if this happens (or if you purposely end the process) and tells lies about your account being logged in elsewhere.
Anyway, now it's been trying to load into story mode for five minutes, twice. Happy fun times ahead? If the saves were corrupted, well, at least I only got like three hours into the story missions.

edit
The save got corrupted. But, the game automatically makes backups of your saves. Was quite impressed by this. Thanks to whoever implemented this feature.

100% reproducible crash. Locked up at the same spot again. Hope this is an uncommon issue, whatever it is.

jediyoshi

CYDa2T9.png

RIP CSGO

Since "Free Aim" is on by default, I would say the majority of players are in those lobbies, that's my reason for using that scheme even though I am at a disadvantage with a controller.

Not a big problem with aiming tbh. Yeah, it could be better, but it's manageable for me.
I'm just curious, why do you play solely with a controller?

I am pretty happy about people not using KB/M especially during free mode, since it means you can usually take people down very fast using the first person shooter style set up with a mouse, but i don't know why more people don't do it. I guess people can't be bothered to keep switching in game?

For driving, Xbone controller all the way though.

Xanathus

I notice that I'm crashing frequently when switching between characters after playing for a short while (~30 minutes) during single-player free mode. Feels like there's an issue with the game loading up far away areas.

I notice that I'm crashing frequently when switching between characters after playing for a short while (~30 minutes) during single-player free mode. Feels like there's an issue with the game loading up far away areas.
If you want to test if this is the case for troubleshooting, try the benchmarking tool which teleports you all over the map.

Philtastic

Holy crap, while driving, Trevor just shouted out, "AHHH! THIS MUSIC IS F'ING WRONG!" and switched the radio station!

If you want to test if this is the case for troubleshooting, try the benchmarking tool which teleports you all over the map.

You can also use Director Mode to teleport all over the place as well.

Derp

Holy crap, while driving, Trevor just shouted out, "AHHH! THIS MUSIC IS F'ING WRONG!" and switched the radio station!
Fun fact: His favourite station is Channel X. He will often change it to that after a while, regardless of what station the player chooses.

Komo

Banned
How is there still no fix to add the non-Steam copy to Steam?

I'm actually really sick of having to alt-tab just to respond to a message on Steam. Ugh

Xanathus

You can also use Director Mode to teleport all over the place as well.

I don't think it's actually from teleporting to another place in the map, but actually a bug in the character switching function where it zooms out and zooms in. It's probably related to the crash in the Blitz Play mission as well. I'll try using Director Mode/benchmarking after playing for awhile next time.

edit: That's because in the Blitz Play mission I crash after blowing up the garbage truck and switching from Franklin to Michael even if I place the garbage truck near where Michael spawns in and am located semi-near Michael because it does the whole zoom out and zoom in thing. The only way to avoid that crash is to be very close to him so that it swaps characters without doing the zoom out zoom in thing.

harrytang

wow - just got an email from rockstar saying my email has been changed to some crazy shit i never heard of and now im locked out my social club account.

does this mean i cannot even play the game offline while i wait for rockstar support to hopefully resolve this issue?

goddamn. anyone else losing their account like this?

epmode

Is there a link in the email to say that you weren't the one to request the change? That's pretty common in messages like that. If so, just make sure it's a legitimate address before clicking.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I like GTA 4 but knew it was overrated. GTA 5 blows 4 the hell out of the water.

Xanathus

Looks like it doesn't matter what's causing the crash, there's another mission-critical crash happening with the Caida Libre mission and as far as I can tell there's no workaround for this one. Single-player progression is completely broken.

harrytang

Is there a link in the email to say that you weren't the one to request the change? That's pretty common in messages like that. If so, just make sure it's a legitimate address before clicking.

Nah just says contact rockstar if I didn't request the change. Can't imagine how many bogus account authorization requests they get in a day.

Tried going into social club via linked Xbox account but the circle on site just spinning forever. Sounds like no one else playing anyway right now with new patch.

Ugh, why is it so impossible to get competent Heist players? The only people joining and then staying in the lobby are super low level guys, who proceed to get wasted at the first sign of trouble.

Top Bottom