• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
g6tA9R3.jpg

Developer: Drinkbox Studios (of Mutant Blobs Attack fame)
Platforms: PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita
Release Date(s): April 9th, 2013 (NA), April 10th, 2013 (EU)
Price: $14.99 ($11.99 discount for PS+ in select regions)
Cross Buy Compatible: Buy it on PS3 or Vita, and get a copy of the game on the other platform for free

1W66JQB.jpg

Summary:

Guacamelee! is a Metroid-vania style action-platformer set in a magical Mexican inspired world.

The game draws its inspiration from traditional Mexican culture and folklore, and features
many interesting and unique characters. Guacamelee builds upon the classic open-world
Metroid-vania style of games, by adding a strong melee combat component, a new
dimension switching mechanic, and cooperative same-screen multiplayer for the entire story.
The game also blurs the boundaries between combat and platforming by making many of the
moves useful and necessary for both of these.

The game features a down on his luck Mexican named Juan Aguacate, who sets out to save
the world when El Presidente’s Daughter is kidnapped by an Evil Charro Skeleton. The story
takes place in and around a small village in Mexico, and has the player travelling through
alternate dimensions: “The World of the Living” and “The World of the Dead” on his quest to
rescue the girl he loves.

asrgcOz.jpg

1W66JQB.jpg

FAQs:

How big is the game?
PS3: 550 MB
Vita: 340 MB

I can't wait to get home to buy the game on ps3/vita. Whatever shall I do?? Halp!
Go to the PSN online store

Can I play co-op on my Vita?
Co-op can only played on Vita while connected to a PS3 system. The Vita standalone version is single-player.

Does this game have a Platinum Trophy?
Yes. It takes around 15 hours and it is said to not be grindy. Here is the full trophy list.
Vq5sntg.png

How do I connect my Vita to play with cross play?
With Guacamelee installed on your PS3:
1) Register your Vita with your PS3
2) Start Guacamelee on the PS3
3) From the Vita Live Area, select REMOTE PLAY
4) Tap START (do not tap the Cross-Controller button)
5) Tap on ‘Connect via Private Network’
6) If you get a black screen, then you have connected successfully. You will get an error message if you failed to connect.
7) The Vita screen will display the map once you select ‘New Game’ or ‘Continue’ from Guacamelee’s main menu.

How do I use my Vita as the controller to play on PS3? What purpose does it serve?
Here is a nice brief tutorial.
Using a Vita gives you a 2nd screen map and what is claimed to be one of the best D-Pads around.

Is there DLC?

yes! the first DLC to be released is a gameplay-altering tri-costume pack:
see here
it provides some new trophies and three costumes(which provide gameplay altering pros/cons) that you can swap on the fly at the checkpoints.

How do I register my Vita with my PS3?

1) From the PS3′s XMB menu, go to SETTINGS
2) Scroll down and select REMOTE PLAY SETTINGS
3) Select REGISTER DEVICE
4) Select PS Vita System as the ‘device to register’
5) On your Vita, select REMOTE PLAY from the Live Area (main menu)
6) Tap on Start
7) Tap on the 3 dots in the bottom right corner
8) Tap on SETTINGS
9) Tap on ‘Change Connected PS3 System’
10) Tap on NEXT in the bottom right corner
11) Enter the 8 digit number on the PS3 display screen
Voila! Hopefully that works!

How do I transfer my save from PS3 to Vita/Vita to PS3?
1) Make sure you’re connected to PSN on the device with the save game you want to transfer,
2) Select Options from the Pause Menu or the Main Menu.
3) Select Options next to Cross-Save.
4) From the Cross-Save menu, select Upload to cloud (do not select Download from Cloud).
5) Start Guacamelee for the device on which you want to resume your game.
6) From the main menu select Options>Cross-Save>Download from Cloud.
7) Select Continue from the Main Menu

I noticed DrinkBox included a joke based on a pop culture meme. Tis funny.
Yes! It is enjoyable. Infact the game is littered with tons of pop references and humor. kotaku posted this article revealing a lot of them.

1W66JQB.jpg

Reviews:
Gamer Limit : 10/10
PSN Stores : 5/5
PSNation : 9.5/10
GamingTrend: 9.4/10
IGN: 9/10
Destructoid : 9/10
GamesRadar : 4.5/5
Gamerhub.TV : 9/10
The Sixth Axis: 9/10
Polygon : 9/10
FinancialPost : 9/10
pocketgamer : 9/10
ZTGD: 9/10
Entertainment Weekly: A-
DigitalChumps: 88/100
N4G : 8.6/10
Playstation Lifestyle: 8.5/10
The Vita Lounge : 8.5/10
Playstation Lifestyle: 8.5/10
The Globe and Mail (Toronto) : 8/10

1W66JQB.jpg

Media

Announcement Trailer
PS3 Trailer
E3 2012 Demo
Target Gameplay Video
Launch Trailer
IGN Impressions
Games Radar Dev Demo
Rev3 Games Walkthrough
Cross Controller Dev Walkthrough

Official Site

1W66JQB.jpg

Quotes:

“Guacamelee is one of Vita’s best games, a top echelon PSN game for PS3, and DrinkBox Studios’ best effort to date. More, please.”
- Colin Moriarty - IGN Review April 8,2013.

“Everything I've played of this Metroidvania brawler has me convinced you'll want to secure $14.99 for the April 9, 2013 (April 10 in Europe) release on PlayStation Network.”
- Jordan Devore - Destructoid preview

"If you're in a rush and/or don't feel like reading through the next 800 or so words, just buy the game. You won't regret it."
- Eric G - PSNStores.com Review

fj4nIi3.jpg

Abylim

Is this one of those games where if I plat it on vita, and save transfer to ps3, I'll get the plat instantly?

Regardless, looks worth a play.

Wow, some really good review scores there. I'd only seen the IGN one. Looks like this will be my first PSN indie game this year.

nofi

9/10 from us, too.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/04/09/guacamelee-review-psn-ps3-vita/

Guacamelee! is not entering a particularly overcrowded pool of similar games on the PSN but lack of competition hasn’t stifled creativity. It’s Drinkbox’s best game so far (and I was a big fan of Mutant Blobs Attack on Vita) and it’s the best combo-brawler on PSN. It’s also one of the best platform puzzlers and one of the best Metroid-vania style games. Not content with that list of “bests”, Guacamelee! is also one of the best games for your Vita.

It’s cheap, mechanically smart, designed with aplomb and packed full of charm and character that will appeal directly to the videogame geek in all of us. So, it’s pretty much essential.

Ah, sorry, just seen the reviews block at the top in the OP.

Ohnonono

Gonna snag this with my PSN credit for spending in March. So gotta wait till the 12th. Should be great to play till SS.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Sorry guys if this is missing some info or links ( still want to post the review links) this was a last minute OT, late last night and my first. so i'll try to update throughout day

Gadirok

Wow, look at those review scores, I would have bought it regardless of whatever grade it got because Drink box studios definitely earned it after me and my brother fully enjoyed the PS+ freebie that was Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs attack.

Blobs are cool.

So are Luchadores.

So many reasons to get this game. Let me list them for you (without sounding too much like a marketer):

1) Its $14.99 ($11.99 for PS+ members)

2) Its metroidvania! We don't get too many games like this.

3) Drink Box studios (if you haven't played the tales from space: about a blob or on ps3 and talesfrom space: mutant blobs attack on vita shame on you, they are amazing titles).

4) Crossbuy! #YOPO

5) Only the second ever game to support Cross-controller! and Cross-Save is also here as well.

6) You are a luchadore. Seriously, who doesn't want to be a luchadore? Flipping Nacho Libre and Mucha Lucha should just give you more than enough reasons why luchadores are awesome.

7) This ones for me, but I personally like supporting Canadian indie developers, especially one that lives in the same city as me. I would support Frima with Zombie Tycoon II when it releases too, if Sony didn't announce that its a PS+ freebie at launch.

Cyberia

When you put together a little Metroid, Castlevania, Super Mario, and Mutant Blobs Attack! then immerse it in Mexican folklore, you get Guacamelee! A meaty experience with terrific combat, lovely visuals, and a smart sense of humor, it scratches an itch that’s being ignored more often than not these days. Despite some frustrating moments and difficulty spikes, it’s a terrific game for PlayStation Network gamers looking for something both familiar and different.

http://www.gamesradar.com/guacamelee-review/

4.5/5

There are plenty of retro-themed 2D releases mining 8- and 16-bit nostalgia and concepts, but very few are crafted with Guacamelee’s expertise. If you stripped away the knowing winks at other games, it would still be noteworthy. The team at Drinkbox has studied the greats, but they've forged their own path with a consistent, engaging art style, and meticulously perfected controls and level design. This passion for Drinkbox’s influences has produced more than homage; Guacamelee is remarkable on its own.

http://www.polygon.com/game/guacamelee/3645

Guacamelee! wins on so many fronts that any glitch in the system is trivial compared to the overall package. Drinkbox has crafted a brilliantly unique world on top of a platformer that combines the best of the classics, along with a few of its own ideas — things like two player local co-op is a feature I don’t think I’ve ever seen in a Metroidvania game, and I challenge more developers to try to include it. Guacamelee! is so sure of itself, and has got so much style to spare, that you can’t help but fall in love while trying to master its every complexity. If you’re a fan of video games, you’d be doing yourself a disservice not picking this up immediately.

http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews...lla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
As soon as I receive my 20$ from PSN for last month's promotion, I'm all in. And then I'll play the waiting game until my thumb heals and I can actually play it.

yella

This game looks awesome! I'm playing Mutant Blobs Attack right now, and if this game is even half as good, Drinkbox have earned my support for life.

Is this one of those games where if I plat it on vita, and save transfer to ps3, I'll get the plat instantly?

Regardless, looks worth a play.
No. It's a unified list. Which means only one set of trophies for both versions.

U can get half trophies on ps3 the the rest on vita. Only one plat.

Paskil

I can't see the OT through the filter at work but I'm sure it's amazing. So hyped to play this game tonight. Super excited to see what Drinkbox brings to the table in the future.

BUY GUACAMELEE, DAMNIT!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna buy some of that Lucas lemon/salt/chili powder and wear my sombrero tonight!

Looks really good. I shall buy this Mexicovania.

olimpia84

This game is definitely on my radar now. Loved Mutant Blobs Attack on the Vita and the consensus from those reviews seems to be that this is even better. Will definitely purchase.

VanWinkle

Very nice OT. I'm excited. Unfortunately I'm out of money til tomorrow so I'll have to wait to play it :-( Oh well.

Top Bottom