• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!

DarkMehm

I can reach the next wall easily but after I shift and land on it he just slides down and pressing X doesn't register to a wall jump.

Number45

Do you have a link to someone playing the section you mean? It's been a while since I played it so I can't visualise all of it.

DarkMehm

Playing this on the Vita is horrible, what was I thinking. Will switch so PS3 once this section is clear as this is between checkpoints and the jumping beforehand was equally frustrating.

Number45

Playing this on the Vita is horrible, what was I thinking. Will switch so PS3 once this section is clear as this is between checkpoints and the jumping beforehand was equally frustrating.
I know right?

I never touched the PS3 version. Vita for life! :p

Turnstyle

I really enjoyed this game...up until the last two bosses. They just come out of nowhere, and the difficulty spike goes sky high.

I didn't have any problems elsewhere. Ok, there were a few sections I failed on and had to rethink my strategy, but for the most part, it was a tough, but fair game. The weird thing is, the Flameface boss was a cake walk. I don't think he even hit me.

Then I came up against Javier Jaguar. And I came unstuck. After ages of battling him, I looked in here and saw people were having the same issue. I picked up a few tips, and went back. Nope. Then, I saw that the costume DLC included a costume that gave you a health regen. Well, as I got the game free on PS+, I didn't mind buying a bit of DLC, even if I felt like a bit of a fraud for taking the east way out. I donned the costume, camped out on the walls of the Javier stage, and took swipes, running back up the wall to regain health.

Then I got the final boss, and...well, I think that's the end for me. I can't see myself beating him any time soon. His first form is tricky enough, but the second form just seems ridiculous.

Time was, I could spend hours practicing and honing my skills on a game. These days, my gaming time is very limited and valuable, and I can't afford to spend too long trying (and failing) to beat one spot in a game.

It's a shame, because the game is excellent. I just feel that the difficulty spike really ramped up at the end, with no warning. I read an interesting postmortem on the game from Drinkbox where they highlight what went wrong/right with the game:

http://indiegames.com/2013/09/postmortem_drinkbox_studios_gu.html

Also, the headbutt move was pretty much broken when trying to perform it quickly. 90% of the time it became the dash. Very frustrating.

Number45

When you get the patterns for the final boss down he's an absolute doddle, he really is.

EDIT: To clarify (because that sounds condescending and I didn't intend it to) - I really am not that good at games and I did the melee only trophy on my hard run.

Turnstyle

When you get the patterns for the final boss down he's an absolute doddle, he really is.

EDIT: To clarify (because that sounds condescending and I didn't intend it to) - I really am not that good at games and I did the melee only trophy on my hard run.

Ok, maybe I'll go back to it at some point. I think I just need a bit of a break right now. I might go and get all the collectables that I missed and come back for another bash at the final boss.

LakeEarth

I agree. All of his moves are pretty highly telegraphed. If his mouth turns blue, he's going to send out those dodgable fireballs. If he growls, he's going to do that ground pound. If he lifts his hands up, he's going to send fire down. I can't remember what else, but there wasn't much. I don't even bother throwing the rocks at him, you have more than enough time to punch him* and react to whatever he's telegraphing that he's going to do.

Javier is definitely the harder boss.

* I do a "trick" where I punch a bunch of times, then tap dodge (neutral on the stick) to cancel the recovery animation, then repeat. Since the last boss is basically a stationary target, you can just stand there and punch repeatedly until you have to get out of the way.

Blizzard

Banned

I also agree that I don't want to be insulting, but the last boss might be good to come back to after a break. The moves are all indicated ahead of time as other posters have posted, so you should be able to get a pattern (especially on normal difficulty) where you have plenty of time to dodge, get a few hits in, jump or roll or whatever that attack calls for, get a few hits in, etc.

Headbutt should never do the dash instead -- are you playing on the Vita or a controller? Maybe you have a directional input pressed, since that will result in a dash rather than a neutral attack. And if that is the case, that might have been causing you problems with other things in the game since there may be a couple of neutral attacks or combos. Headbutt is very powerful.

Then I came up against Javier Jaguar.

Jaguar Javier is bullshit.

Then I got the final boss, and...well, I think that's the end for me. I can't see myself beating him any time soon. His first form is tricky enough, but the second form just seems ridiculous.

FWIW, the second form is a lot less execution-intensive than Javier or the first form. After a few tries you should be able to get there and clear it out, especially with the regenerating health.

Turnstyle

Jaguar Javier is bullshit.

FWIW, the second form is a lot less execution-intensive than Javier or the first form. After a few tries you should be able to get there and clear it out, especially with the regenerating health.

Yeah, I actually dipped back into it last night, and beat the first form of the final boss without any issues. Once you've got the pattern down it's actually really easy.

I only tried the second form once, and got lost in a sea of bullets and fire. Bit confusing initially, but I reckon that once I've sussed the pattern I'll be ok.

The health regen on the chicken costume is really slow. I'm not sure how helpful it will be in an area where there's nowhere to rest.

Anyway, I beat Olmec last week, so I can beat this bastard.

Levyne

Banned
Huh. I just played through this game recently on Steam. I didn't realize Jaguar and Calica were seen as difficulty spikes. I hardly even remember the Jaguar fight, for Calica 1 was easy once you learn to jump and not roll dodge, and Calica 2 has like 3 telegraphed moves that are easily avoided.

Unless I am missing something? I mean, they were fair and tough but it seemed in line with everything else. The first boss (the female whose name I forget) was around the same level of difficulty for me.

Unless I am missing something?

Javier has really narrow timing windows, non-telegraphed attacks, undodgeable attacks, and color shields that regenerate quickly, plus he does move cancels and stun breaks.
It takes you from a fairly gentle curve into one where you're expected to apply pretty high-level action game skills.

Every previous boss in the game is, if it gives you trouble, basically approachable via strategy changes. Javier is designed such that strategy doesn't get you much, and beating the boss is primarily dependent on execution skill. That means people who are already really good at action games (fast reflexes and all that) don't see where there's a problem, while people with less skill feel like they're hitting a wall.

LakeEarth

Noticed this in the "first platinum trophy" thread.

My only platinum trophy was for Guacamelee. That accomplishment is marred by the fact that 19.26% of people who played the game got the trophy.

But then I thought... holy shit, that's awesome! The game is so fun that almost 20% of people beat it twice, went searching for the orbs, completed the trial, and bothered to find every single chest. That's a testament to how great Guacamelee is.

Noticed this in the "first platinum trophy" thread.

My only platinum trophy was for Guacamelee. That accomplishment is marred by the fact that 19.26% of people who played the game got the trophy.

But then I thought... holy shit, that's awesome! The game is so fun that almost 20% of people beat it twice, went searching for the orbs, completed the trial, and bothered to find every single chest. That's a testament to how great Guacamelee is.

Right on. Guacamelee is the only game I've ever platinumed. I'm surprised it's that high, too, but that's a good thing!

boy it can be frustrating.
The first game I am playing on my new Vita.
Got all the way to the end boss but didn't get very far, so I decided to do the rest first.

The orbs man, the orbs...
Tule Tree Top, after every story I thought fracking finally just for another more difficult part to come up... I aged a lot while playing that. But got it now. I think the Vita would have gone flying through the window if I hadn't had the health regenerating Chicken Suit on up there.... o.o
Am stuck on the disappearing platforms for now... -.-

20% is hella high, for such a difficult game.I am very impressed by that!

Any tips for the final boss?

LakeEarth

Just try again. His moves are well telegraphed, so once you get it, you're golden. From memory:

1) If his mouth changes color, he's about to throw some fireballs at you, you can dodge those
2) If he growls, dodge back and jump out of the way of the grounded fire
3) If he lifts his hands, he's going to make those firewalls, react accordingly

You can just walk up to him, break his shield, keep punching him, and just dodge when he does anything. Then react accordingly. I only bother to throw rocks when I'm trapped behind a wall of fire.

Urgh, playing on hard is -hard-.
Currently stuck on flame face, would love there to be a checkpoin in the middle of the fight like for the woman.

I get 3/4 of the way but then the two fast skeletons apear and whenever I hang on the wall because of the lava they come rushing and hit me, no way to get away from that witout falling into the lava. This wears down my health very quickly without giving me time to catch a breath...
Any tips?
Feels like I might give up soon, it's likely to get even more frustrating the further I get along. Not looking forward to the Jaguar and Calagua.
- I just hate boss fights, in any and every game.... :-/ - probably means I should not play Dark Souls?! ;)

Blizzard

Banned
Urgh, playing on hard is -hard-.
Currently stuck on flame face, would love there to be a checkpoin in the middle of the fight like for the woman.

I get 3/4 of the way but then the two fast skeletons apear and whenever I hang on the wall because of the lava they come rushing and hit me, no way to get away from that witout falling into the lava. This wears down my health very quickly without giving me time to catch a breath...
Any tips?
Feels like I might give up soon, it's likely to get even more frustrating the further I get along. Not looking forward to the Jaguar and Calagua.
- I just hate boss fights, in any and every game.... :-/ - probably means I should not play Dark Souls?! ;)
Without looking up a video, I don't remember exactly which attack you are referring to from Flame Face that requires you to hang on the wall. Is it a waterfall of lava that starts in the middle of the level, and then results in lava on the floor?

If so, did you try
changing between worlds
right when that happens?

That said, if Flame Face is giving you trouble on hard, Jaguar probably WILL drive you nuts. I and some other people have posted about it earlier in the thread. I beat him on hard but it takes practice. You may not enjoy the game a lot past that point.

I hope you enjoyed it on normal at least?

Without looking up a video, I don't remember exactly which attack you are referring to from Flame Face that requires you to hang on the wall. Is it a waterfall of lava that starts in the middle of the level, and then results in lava on the floor?

If so, did you try
changing between worlds
right when that happens?

That said, if Flame Face is giving you trouble on hard, Jaguar probably WILL drive you nuts. I and some other people have posted about it earlier in the thread. I beat him on hard but it takes practice. You may not enjoy the game a lot past that point.

I hope you enjoyed it on normal at least?

After posting this, I finally finished him of this evening with my first try. Funny how it sometimes works... figured out the
lava/water
thing too - durrr should have remembered from my normal play through.

I've enjoyed the game so far lots fun. Just missing the hard play through for the platinum... ;p

Just spent about 30 or 40 minutes fighting Javier Jaguar and failing. I'm done with this game. I really didn't enjoy the rest of it enough to keep suffering through this boss fight. Was it just me or did the headbutt move seem broken? Half the time it seems you try to perform that move and he just stands there. Surprised this game was as praised as it was. The humor/memes basically all had me rolling my eyes, the music got way too repetitive, and the platforming was more of a chore than it was fun. I'd give the game about a 5/10.

Blizzard

Banned
Just spent about 30 or 40 minutes fighting Javier Jaguar and failing. I'm done with this game. I really didn't enjoy the rest of it enough to keep suffering through this boss fight. Was it just me or did the headbutt move seem broken? Half the time it seems you try to perform that move and he just stands there. Surprised this game was as praised as it was. The humor/memes basically all had me rolling my eyes, the music got way too repetitive, and the platforming was more of a chore than it was fun. I'd give the game about a 5/10.
I'm assuming you were playing on PC? I never had any problem with headbutt working, unless you were using another move right afterwards to cancel the headbutt.

I respectfully disagree with almost everything else in your post too, but naturally that's a matter of opinion.

PC yep. I typically love hard and fast games like this. Super Meat Boy and Trials (including extreme tracks) are some of my favorite games ever. Guac is just not clicking for me for some reason.

Blizzard

Banned
PC yep. I typically love hard and fast games like this. Super Meat Boy and Trials (including extreme tracks) are some of my favorite games ever. Guac is just not clicking for me for some reason.
I don't know if it helps at all (if you're having problems with headbutt then maybe there's a control issue), but I recorded a video of Javier on hard. He should be easier on normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FcgOQ8-hM

That said, if you don't like the game as a whole, you're probably better off cutting your losses and moving on. There are more platforming and fighting sections after Javier, and the final boss is easy in comparison, but there ARE some tough dedicated fighting rooms and you'll probably hate them.

Top Bottom