• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee: Super TURBO Championship Edition | OT | ¡Livin' la muerte loca!

maxcriden

otheader2bpkfg.jpg

EL GAME

Platforms: XB1 Free with Games with Gold this month, PS4, X360 and Wii U
Genre: Metroidvania en broma
El Price: $14.99
Release date: July 2, 2014
STCE additions: new boss, El Trio, a.k.a. “Terrible Trio," more words to the title, an extra save slot, new costumes, creepy hanging dolls, two extra levels, new and improved enemies, another save slot, a new dimension-switching ability called “Shadow Swap,” chicken egg bombs, an NPC with an impossibly large head, and a power called INTENSO. And all DLC from the original!

QUE?

In a small village in Mexico, Juan Aguacate is a humble agave farmer who is in love with El Presidente's Daughter. When an evil charro skeleton named Carlos Calaca attacks the village and kidnaps El Presidente's Daughter, Juan is killed during his attempt to stop him and winds up in the land of the dead. There, a mysterious luchador named Tostada gives Juan a mysterious mask that transforms him into a powerful luchador and brings him back to the world of the living. It is now up to Juan to stop Carlos from sacrificing El Presidente's Daughter in a ritual that will allow him to take both the living and dead worlds.

EL GAMEPLAY

In Guacamelee!, players control Juan as he fights his way across various enemies and obstacles in order to rescue El Presidente's daughter. Juan can attack enemies using basic attacks and can perform various grapple attacks when they are stunned, dealing more damage or throwing them towards other enemies. Defeating enemies yields coins that can be spent at certain locations to unlock new grapple attacks or increase the player's health and stamina gauges. As the player progresses through the game, Juan breaks various "Choozo statues" which grant him new abilities. These range from offensive moves, such as an uppercut, headbutt, and dashing punch, or abilities that increase Juan's mobility, such as double jumping, wall jumping, and the ability to turn into a chicken. Juan also gains the abilities to transport between the land of the living and the land of the dead, required for solving puzzles or fighting enemies that can only be attacked in a certain world. Players can use these moves to access previously unreachable areas to find secrets, or break through barriers shielding enemies. The game (excluding the Vita version) also features a local co-operative mode, in which an additional player can play as Tostada. This mode can only be accessed after the introductory level.

SCREENS
VIDS

Announcement Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_LayTuoRo

OG Guacamelee Launch Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyUo53bfl4s

LOS REVIEWS

--waiting for the embargo to lift--

I¿Cómo estuvo tu entrevista?

Are there any features on the Wii U that are different from the other platforms?

The main difference in the Wii U version is use of the second screen. You can play the game on the second screen, or you can show the map. With the map turned on you can see a level's fog of war uncover as you run around, and it's generally a bit faster to check where you're going. Naturally, you can also touch the second screen to to scroll the map.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lee_super_turbo_championship_edition_to_wii_u

DrinkBox Studios is an independent Toronto-based video game developer. The company was founded in April of 2008 by a group of game industry veterans. DrinkBox develops and publishes game products of its own, and also provides programming, art and design consulting services to external clients. The company’s objective is to release high-quality, innovative games.

Gray Matter

Great OT, sadly I already own this on ps3/vita so I don't feel the need to play this again. Maybe if it was cross-buy...

RK128

Great OP :D! Loving the original version of Guacamelee on my Vita, I can't help but recommend this to all PS4/X1/Wii U owners who might have never played this before.

Between great visuals, tight controls, killer gameplay, awesome soundtrack and lots of content, the original was a wonderful value to begin with. But this new version having more moves and levels alone makes this a great deal even to those who got the game originally!

I wish this was landing on PS3 and/or Vita, but I hope others who never played this enjoy this :D!

now how much time before people start smashing their controller because of tree tops ?
the bets are open gentlemen (and gentlewomen because i'm not a sexist)

GQman2121

Banned
Great OT, sadly I already own this on ps3/vita so I don't feel the need to play this again. Maybe if it was cross-buy...

Ditto. But I'm glad a larger audience is going to get a chance to play it. It's a really well made game that does a lot of things right.

Kater

Banned
Great OT as always, maxcriden!

I will get it on Wii U. I am glad that they showed it on the Nintendo Treehouse Live stage or else I would have missed it probably.

Rran

Great OP :D! Loving the original version of Guacamelee on my Vita, I can't help but recommend this to all PS4/X1/Wii U owners who might have never played this before.
I fall in that latter Wii U category--greatly look forward to picking this up on Wednesday! It was definitely a title I wanted to play during last gen but couldn't, so I'm glad I've got the opportunity to do so now.

TriGen

Nice OT. I've never played Guacamelee before, so it being the GWG title on XBO works out great for me. I'm really looking forward to it, as I've heard great things.

WoolyNinja

If you don't have this game grab it as soon as its released. Great game. I already own like 3 versions of it so I may wait for a sale on this version but for anyone that hasn't played this yet its great!

MilesTeg

Banned
I'll probably grab this on Wii U. I almost feel guilty for not buying it on PS3 first time around. Kinda wish it was $9.99 but whatever.

Gowans

Played a bunch of this on Vita, looking forward to playing it again for free on Xbox one.

Just in the mood for it.

The game is awesome. Played it couple of days ago and was surprised to find out how good it was.
It's like GOW/DMC combat added to Metroidvania.

-GJ-

I bought this on Vita a while ago but never finished it. Will I get the PS4-version via cross-buy? Or does this version count as a 'new game'?

LIIIEEEESSS!!!! JULY 2nd?!?!?!? i platinum'd the first and will do it again!!! crazy hype. still wish they wouldve got co-op online :(

Foshy

Platinumed the original version on Vita, great game. I'll be getting the XB1 version with Games with Gold, so I'm probably 100%ing it again.

Novocaine

Might pick this up, definitely if there's a discount for owning the first. I just got the plat for the original game. Do we know if this will have new trophies?

V_Ben

Banned
Glad to see it coming to a larger audience, but I bought it a bit ago on PS3/Vita, so unless there's a steep discount for people who bought it once on those platforms, i'll wait for a little while.

Enjoy it though, one of my favourites.

also fuck tree tops.

Might pick this up, definitely if there's a discount for owning the first. I just got the plat for the original game. Do we know if this will have new trophies?

Sounds like it has a mixture of new trophies and some old ones too.

From playstation blog

Yes, the trophies are VERY different. We kept a few of our favs, but changed a ton.

Bessy67

Really looking forward to this. I enjoy a good metroidvania (I loved Shadow Complex and Outland last gen) and I never played Guacamelee since I didn't have a PS3.

Hatchtag

Banned
GOTY 2013. Platinumed it, bought all the DLC, and got all the trophies for those too. I'll probably stream my first run of the game or something. Can not wait to play it.

yatesl

Platinumed the PS3/Vita version, half way through the Steam version. It'd be nice if this one has the additional content desperate, so I don't have to play it a fourth time.

Top Bottom