• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Fjordson

Finally saw this. Such a fun movie. And probably my favourite Marvel film so far. Nailed the casting and the script.

And even though a lot of people didn't love Ronan, I didn't mind him. Lee Pace is a bad ass and there's something to be said for a villain who's straight up evil and just enjoys it. It was almost refreshing.

Given it's American classic music soundtrack, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't so hot in other countries.

I wonder though, does the music change based on which language its dubbed in?

Flintty

Given it's American classic music soundtrack, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't so hot in other countries.

I wonder though, does the music change based on which language its dubbed in?

It's pretty massive in the UK and the music is a big plus. As an 80s/90s kid, I grew up on that stuff :)

strobogo

Banned
I enjoyed it. A great Star Wars movie. Definitely followed the Marvel structure, which means the middle slows down and drags. I really expected The Collector to have a bigger role. And I wanted to see more of him after the stinger for Thor 2, which was more interesting than the entirety of Thor 2 to me. A lot of salty language. But it was kept mostly fun and playful. RDJ needs to hang around to interact with the Guardians.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Finally saw this. Such a fun movie. And probably my favourite Marvel film so far. Nailed the casting and the script.

And even though a lot of people didn't love Ronan, I didn't mind him. Lee Pace is a bad ass and there's something to be said for a villain who's straight up evil and just enjoys it. It was almost refreshing.

I ended up liking him more by the end, but I always pictured Ronan as a big black
green I know but whatever
dude. The actor did a good job but physically he is not what i would have casted. Just didn't do it for me.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Just got out of my second viewing and it was moderately enjoyable.
You only found it moderately enjoyable and you went for a second viewing? I dunno, maybe I'm just getting "yeah, it was okay" vibes from your post. What did you think about it the first time or did you feel the same?

First weekend in quite a few countries (except for maybe Scandinavian ones and UK) seemed below Winter Soldier though if I read the BoM numbers right. In South Korea for example the first weekend of WS was ~$9m, whereas only ~$4m for Guardians of the Galaxy. Then again, it's still a pretty good performance.

There were barely any showings of GotG in Korea.
Compared to WS which had 3~4 in the same timeslot when it was released.

Fjordson

I ended up liking him more by the end, but I always pictured Ronan as a big black
green I know but whatever
dude. The actor did a good job but physically he is not what i would have casted. Just didn't do it for me.
Ah, okay. I guess it helped that I had never read any GotG comic, so I didn't really have any sort of notion as to who or what Ronan was. I just thought he was appropriately menacing and Pace's voice is bad ass.

Solo

Movie was pretty entertaining. Only things that irked me were forced/rushed relationships and the far too many attempts at bad ass moments for Rocket, which always rubbed me the wrong way. Otherwise I quite enjoyed, if not as much as DofP.

Cetra

Went my second screening last night. It's a solid enough flick. I feel that the relationships were super rushed. We never really get to see them become friends, but the film tells us they are over and over. Really hurts it IMO.

Also, I hate the Care Bear Stare ending.

I thought the cast was perfect but they were all sabotaged by what the film had to do for Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Having said that, I'm crazy hyped for GOTG 2 since it won't have all this baggage to deal with.

LuuKyK

Having watched this two days ago with no expectations at all, I have to say that I absolutely loved everything about it. Looked amazing in 3D too. Marvel is on fire lately.

shield

I've pre-ordered them all so far, other than Drax since he hasn't been listed yet but he'll be ordered too. Hot Toys stuff is incredible.

Good lord I wish I could afford these. I'll settle for the Lego figures instead but they feel just as expensive sometimes

I'm just so confused......this has to be my favorite Marvel movie. Sealed the deal when my girlfriend who is pretty stone cold during movies, told me she got teary eyed. But I was confused on who James Gun was? I mean, it doesn't really seem like he has any experience with big budget movies or directing this flawlessly. The movie is just perfection if you ask me but I am still super hyped up from seeing it last night. Might need to reevaluate in a week.

Blader

I hate to say, but the mixing on the Awesome Mix is...not awesome. I'm a sucker for good sequencing but the songs don't mesh well together at all. What was Quill's mom thinking!

Neoxon

My Texas Government class was just raving about Rocket & Groot. One guy thought it was boring, but everyone else called BS on that.

Alienous

I really didn't care for this. Can someone explain to me why it's so good?

My favourite comic book movies:

Iron Man
The Dark Knight
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

My least favourite:

Green Lantern
Superman Returns
X-Men: First Class

I actually walked out of the cinema thinking that the film was quite poor. The plot was weak. The characters ... eh. I know they want me to like them, but I didn't really. I'm being serious when I'm asking someone to help me understand why people seem to like it so much. It's one of the worse comic book films I've seen.

sjack

Banned

Iron Man
The Dark Knight

My least favourite:

Green Lantern
Superman Returns

I actually walked out of the cinema thinking that the film was quite poor. The plot was weak. The characters ... eh. I know they want me to like them, but I didn't really. I'm being serious when I'm asking someone to help me understand why people seem to like it so much. It's one of the worse comic book films I've seen.

It's a dumb fun sci-fi action adventure, that's completely self-aware of how irreverent and insane it is, and manages to be a better Star Wars film than any of the prequel movies ever hoped to be. The fact that one of the very first things you see in the opening of the film is Chris Pratt using an alien as a microphone pretty much spells out how much this film doesn't give a fuck and it's amazing.

Dash27

You either like it or you don't. I loved it personally. The characters were fun, it didnt take itself too seriously, it made fun of a lot of your standard movie hero staples: Family members killed, wanting to be called by a "code name", everyone standing up dramatically... like a bunch of jackasses.

On the flip side you had a talking Raccoon that unlike your standard Jar Jar type character, is quite deep and compelling.

All on top of a charismatic lead character who puts on a show of ego "Star Lord... legendary outlaw..." but not with a straight face and we come to find out he wants to be called that because it was what his mother called him as a boy.

It was just fun. If you didnt like it though, I feel bad for you! ;)

People actually walk out of movies? I mean, you've already paid for it, and don't you at least want to stick around to the end to see what happens? Sometimes I wonder if people just do it to make a statement.

But I guess if you don't want to continue to waste your time then all the power to you.

People actually walk out of movies? I mean, you've already paid for it, and don't you at least want to stick around to the end to see what happens? Sometimes I wonder if people just do it to make a statement.

But I guess if you don't want to continue to waste your time then all the power to you.

If you really disliked the movie, why waste any more time on it? Trying to sit through it because you have already paid for it is the sunk cost fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

Real Hero

Well done introduction to 5 characters, the majority whom were fun, funny and interesting to watch. Perfect blend of humor and pathos (for this type of mainstream blockbuster anyway). It had heart and it was fun. Seems like a hard film to actively dislike to me.

Tellaerin

Iron Man
The Dark Knight

My least favourite:

Green Lantern
Superman Returns

Probably because while it's technically a "comic book movie", GotG's really a space opera flick in the Star Wars vein, with a streak of irreverent humor a mile wide and a lot of heart. It manages to take its own story seriously without being ponderous or self-important. It is, in a word, fun. If you went into the theatre expecting a classic superhero dustup, or something somber and brooding, it's not surprising that you'd come away disappointed.

TEJ

Same.

I had hoped to watch it in 4D but it seems that TMNT's popularity has made that impossible, unfortunately.

This movie is a bonafide classic imo. I haven't had this much fun in a theater since the 90's, or when I was a preteen in the early 90's.

Korigama

Finally saw this today. Great movie, and definitely one of the MCU films I've enjoyed most so far. Didn't think much of the
post-credits scene
, but it was still...interesting.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Another good Monday at the boxoffice for Guardians:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel2014a.htm

It's now almost $20M ahead of Winter Soldier, the current highest grossing film of 2014 released thus far, as of this point in their respective runs (the day 11 mark).
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel14b.htm

GO BABY GO!

Huh... so they're not going with
J'Son as Starlord's dad
... Wonder if that means they're using
Adam Warlock?
I mean I get why they would make a change like that, but... I dunno.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm going to see Guardians of the Galaxy tonight in Imax! Hopefully it's as good as everyone claims it is to be :)

Tom_Cody

J'Son as Starlord's dad
Adam Warlock?
I'm happy that they aren't going with the father from the comic. With all of the buildup in the first film, I'm glad they are going with something potentially more interesting.

Who knows, they might present multiple possibilities and then make it a Maury-esque surprise in the film.

I'm happy that they aren't going with the father from the comic. With all of the buildup in the first film, I'm glad they are going with something potentially more interesting.

Who knows, they might present multiple possibilities and then make it a Maury-esque surprise in the film.

You mean by GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY SPOILERS
Yondu doing the You're Not The Father Dance?

mrkgoo

I caught this last night.

I thought it was tons of fun, but doesn't have much rewatch ability for me. Like all the gags and stuff really only work once.

Showaddy

J'Son as Starlord's dad
Adam Warlock?

I'd lol at some super crazy story where 30 years ago
Adam
has a vision of Quill killing
The Magus
in the future so finds Quill's mum to make sure he exists.

Top Bottom